GNick's Mock Draft

GNick42

This is my first draft this year. I ranked the players as I seen them, and a little note why I thought they were selected when they were. Impossible to know all 30 teams, let me know if I made a mistake with your teams’ pick. Or any other mistakes.

1. Chicago – James VanRiemsdyk - LW - USNTDP. Originally 4-5 potential draftees could have gone first overall. But the Hawks couldn’t look elsewhere after the U18 tourny. VanRiemsdyk is a big left winger who can score, will make a great linemate for Toews. Similar to Rick Nash at the same stage of his career.

2. Philadelphia – Jakub Voracek – At 17, a Chech playing in NA doing this well? Look out when he learns the language and becomes more consistent.

3. Phoenix – Patrick Kane – OHL – 5-10, 170 lbs. One of the most talented players in this draft but his size and strength on his skates have been called into question by some scouts.

4. L.A. - Kyle Turris - C - BCHL. - Has tremendous upside but talk about skinny…he’s 6’1, 165 lbs. Turris almost went first overall as Chicago once had him pegged there but decided on VanRiemsdyk after the U18.

5. Washington – Alexei Cherepanov – RW - The offensive wizard. Most scouts agree Cherepanov would have gone first overall if a Russian Transfer Agreement had been in place.

6. Edmonton – Zach Hamill – C – WHL – The Oilers are the first team to go off the board. Lowe says it is a weaker draft and time for a gamble. They like Hamil, who is 6 months younger but yet still out scored star teammate Mueller this past season.

7. Columbus – Kyle Alzner - D - WHL. The Blue Jackes’ weren’t particularly looking for a defenseman but could not pass on Alzner. Alzner is big, talented left side defender. One of the older players available, but one the most NHL ready in all likelihood.

8 Boston – Lars Eller C/W – Sweden – Boston is the second team to go off the board. Being a weaker draft at the top and Eller having a huge upside. With size, wheels and hands he could turn into the steal of the draft.

9. St. Louis – Logan Couture – OHL – 6’ 191 lbs. Very smart defensively, and offensive enough may make Couture very close to being NHL ready. The Blues were happy to get Couture and little wonder. Averaging a point and half per game for an 18 year-old suffering from mono and a knee injury this season would make any team happy.

10. Florida - Sam Gagner – OHL – 5-11, 190 lbs. More of a setup guy than a finisher. The Panthers wanted an offensive player. Could be a steal at 10th overall, will slide further than most suspect.

11. Carolina - Ryan McDonagh – D – US Prep. - Somewhat of a surprise to see McDonagh be the second drafted defenseman. McDonagh has size, skating ability and plays the game with an edge.

12. Montreal – Michal Backland – Sweden - Backlund was an early top ranked prospect who played with a knee injury this year and it hurt his ranking. However, he rebounded at the U18 and established himself as a solid first rounder.

13. Toronto –– Brandon Sutter – C – WHL. The Leafs say no way they are passing up on a Sutter. Ferguson says he loves these type of gritty, two-way players.

14. Colorado - Keaton Ellerby – D – WHL – Everybody was totally surprised he lasted this long, the Avs were elated. His lack of offense may caused him to slide. But he is big, can skate and plays with an edge, think of a carbon copy of Ottawa’s Chris Phillips.

15. Oilers(via Isles) – Angelo Esposito C – QMJHL - The Oilers are the team to gamble on the enigmatic star of the Quebec Remparts. Esposito was the highest rated prospect earlier this season who fell considerably during the year.

16. Anaheim(via Tampa) – – Max Pacioretty - LW - USHL – Pacioretty is a big LW who does all things well, but lacks the single outstanding quality to attract a lot of attention. Still he has had a comparable season in the USHL to Kyle Okposo a year ago, has similar scoring numbers, is bigger (6-2, 210) and a better two way player than Okposo was.

17. Rangers - Nick Petrecki - D USHL – A left side defender, nearly a full year younger than other draftees and not nearly as polished. Thus giving him more upside than any other d-man draftee. Slats says Petrecki reminds him of a young Komisarek. As Petrecki brings both size and aggressive play and a two to three year college player in all likelihood.

18. Calgary - Alex Plante – D – WHL - Flames stay close to home again and draft Plante.. A bit of a project but he has the size, wheels and offensive skills. Another guy who is hard to get a good read on in this draft.

19. Blues(via Atlanta) - – John Blum - D – WHL - Good pick, he can move the puck, skate well and smarter than most d-men his age. Not far from the NHL, Smaller d-men are playing in the NHL sooner. Davidson doesn’t want all forwards with his three first rounders.

20. Minnesota – Maxim Mayorov - LW - Russia. A big, strong skating, skilled left winger, the questions about Mayorov may revolve around some concern over his Russian citizenship. This may cause him to slide until late first round but talent there to draft in mid first round.

21. Pittsburgh - Bill Sweatt - LW - WCHA. One of the most underrated players in draft, scored close to a point per game as a WCHA freshman after finishing second to Pat Kane in U18 scoring last year for the U.S. team. Average size, but tremendous speed, good intelligence and a terrific team first attitude.

22. Ottawa - Oscar Moller - Excellent skater, great puck skills, smart. Sens say he reminds them of a young Daniel Affredsson.

23. Vancouver – Brett Maclean – OHL – He scored a 100-point scorer as a 17-year-old junior that's 6-2. But many point out that his stats were inflated because he was playing with Taveres. Is a weaker draft and Canucks are drafting 23rd…it’s a gamble they were willing to take.

24. Blues(via Devils) - Colton Gillies - C- WHL – Gillies has the size, wheels and hockey bloodlines. John Davidson can’t pass up on the chance to have a Gillies on his side after so many years playing against his uncle.

25. Coyotes(via Dallas) - Stefan Legein – LW – QMJHL – 5-9, 185 lbs. A speedy, offensive super pest that every team hates to play against but loves to play with.

26. Habs(via San Jose) – Ian Cole – D - Habs were elated to get Cole at 26th. As he was one of the d-men they were thinking hard about at 12th overall. NCAA bound, the Habs became impressed with Cole at the U18 tourney. A tourney Timmins puts a lot of stock in

27. Oilers(via Anaheim) – Thomas Hickey – D – WHL – Small but speedy offensive defenseman.

28. Flyers(via Nashville) – Mark Katic – D – OHL – 5 -11, 185 lbs. Late first round gamble…small but unbelievable quick and best skater in draft. Could have NHL upside, as a quick puck moving d-man, average offense but not great.

29. Detroit – Jim O’Brien – C- NCAA - A Hydre and Jekyll type prospect. According to which scout you talk to.

30. Washington(via Buffalo) - Tommy Cross - D - U.S. Prep/U18. – D Mcphee does backflips to see Cross still around at 30th. As he wanted a defenseman with one of his first rounders. Cross is a high reward, high risk type of player. A big left handed defender with a strong skill set. One of the youngest in the draft, he qualified for the draft by just a week.

rick1042

Jul 3, 2006
Verdun
I agree on some of it. One thing that I strongly disagree with: No way that Shattenkirk is not picked in the first round.

All in all, good work though!

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
6. Edmonton – Zach Hamill – C – WHL – The Oilers are the first team to go off the board. Lowe says it is a weaker draft and time for a gamble. They like Hamil, who is 6 months younger but yet still out scored star teammate Mueller this past season.

If Kyle Alzner is still on the board, the Oilers will be drafting him. They are raving about him. Just because they went off the board in 2003 doesn't mean they will be this year. The Oilers will gamble later but not with the 6th overall.

GNick42

If Kyle Alzner is still on the board, the Oilers will be drafting him. They are raving about him. Just because they went off the board in 2003 doesn't mean they will be this year. The Oilers will gamble later but not with the 6th overall.

I see that now....didn't really know what the Oilers were looking for. I am not that high on Alzner....I think he is going to be an average NHL d-man, #3 defenseman tops, several d-men will be drafted later who will go on to better NHL careers.

Oil_83*

ya imo, if theyre going for Hammil, they trade up the #15 pick, also KLowe doesnt want to look like a dumbass again like in the 2003 draft. I believe Kevin Pendergast mentioned Alzner as a guy they're looking at. If they pass-up on Alzner i hope they take Gagner.
anything could happen though

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good job - Shattenkirk is overrated. Very soft defensively. I'd take Katic and Hickey before him even though those guys will be challenged at the pro level as well.

Very much agree this is a weak draft. To me Van Riemsdyk is a clone of Taylor Pyatt. But he will go high in this draft.

Will be a few late risers like Logan MacMillian

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Fantastic job. Senators fan here, and I love Oscar Moller and have been praying the Senators draft him for months now.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nice mock. Would not have a problem with the Capitals landing Cherepanov. Cross with the last pick in the 1st seems interesting.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I really like this draft. I like that you took some chances on wild card players...there are always surprises on draft day. Well done!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad