Rumor: GMJR: Penguins will try to get younger this off-season, JR is "looking at everything"

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Ummm you know that bjugstad is a cap dump right? Also, Buffalo fans are willing to trade their 1st this year for Domi straight up...
I don't see Bjugstad as a cap dump, he was just injured, a lot, but still a good player. If he'll come out of the back surgery fully healed he could be the Pens 3rd line center next season, otherwise it could mean the end of his career and they should just put him on LTIR all year long instead of spending assets to trade him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder what sort of player the Pens would get for #15? Salary would play into things, of course. The #15 would be somewhat appealing for a team with no cap problems, really appealing for a team up against it, such as TBL.

If Tampa got a 1st and prospect for JT Miller, and the best example I can think of where a player went for a single known high pick recently was Schneider for 9OA, I don't think 15OA really moves the needle enough. We take the pick and hope they grow special quickly, or grow enough to be traded for someone special quickly.

I listened to the relevant segment of 31 thoughts and people are way overtalking this as a rumour. He's speculating and saying he knows Rutherford likes Domi and there's a Domi-Lemieux connection. I don't think he says he's got a solid rumour, and I don't think it sounds like he thinks he does.

And as you mention, I don't see how a deal works either.

Bjugstad + Marino + 1st round pick for Domi?

I don't think you're up to date on Marino's performance this season and how Penguins fans rate him. He's a probable 1D in the making - he spent parts of the season basically doing the role - and there isn't a single player on Montreal's roster where I'd be willing to trade Marino if they were the sole return. And that's solely if I was thinking a fair deal, and I don't want to deal Marino in a fair deal. Offers we can't refuse only.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No GM in their right mind would trade a prospect like Newhook or Timmins for 2 years of a 28 year old player with a career high 38 points prior to this season.

Rust may have been PPG, but it was a shortened season and he was playing with one of the best C's in the league.

I think you're overrating Timmins to begin with, but the more important part is that the teams who only value Rust as a 38 point guy won't get Rust. It's really that simple.

Teams can be completely reasonable with not wanting to pay the price for a PPG 2-way winger that only makes $3.5 million. But the Penguins aren't going to accept anything less than that. Teams who only value him as a 38 point guy won't be even in the ballpark in value for what the Penguins would want to trade him because of what he did last year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think you're overrating Timmins to begin with, but the more important part is that the teams who only value Rust as a 38 point guy won't get Rust. It's really that simple.

Teams can be completely reasonable with not wanting to pay the price for a PPG 2-way winger that only makes $3.5 million. But the Penguins aren't going to accept anything less than that. Teams who only value him as a 38 point guy won't be even in the ballpark in value for what the Penguins would want to trade him because of what he did last year.

Well here's the good news. Nobody wants Rust at this crazy evaluation you think he's worth.

So guess what? You can keep him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well here's the good news. Nobody wants Rust at this crazy evaluation you think he's worth.

So guess what? You can keep him.

Oh no, I'll have to keep my winger coming off a PPG year that only makes $3.5 million. Whatever will I do? :laugh:

It's hilarious that you think the Penguins should somehow accept other team's valuation of Rust and it's a punishment if they have to keep him. As if they're dying to get rid of him or something.

I know it's a hard concept for some on here to understand, since everyone wants to get good players from other teams for cheap, but teams aren't going to accept less for their good players because you think there is something wrong with them. If you think Rust is only a 38 point player, you won't get him because the Penguins don't agree and wouldn't accept a trade based on a valuation of Rust they don't agree with. Making trades isn't buying something from the grocery store, it's bartering. If you only value Rust at $5 but the Penguins value him at $10, you're not going to get him for $5 unless they're really desperate to get rid of him (which they're not).

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Quick question fellow penguin fans...

Would it be completely opposed to bring in James Neal if the oilers made it worth it with draft picks? I know acquiring Neal doesn’t get us younger obviously, but he could bring with him some valuable picks or prospects that help us accomplish that goal.

Asking because he’s proven some chemistry with Malkin in the past and his numbers this past year weren’t awful, he scored 19 in a shortened season. Obviously the contract is bad but if they attached their 1st rounder would JR consider it?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Quick question fellow penguin fans...

Would it be completely opposed to bring in James Neal if the oilers made it worth it with draft picks? I know acquiring Neal doesn’t get us younger obviously, but he could bring with him some valuable picks or prospects that help us accomplish that goal.

Asking because he’s proven some chemistry with Malkin in the past and his numbers this past year weren’t awful, he scored 19 in a shortened season. Obviously the contract is bad but if they attached their 1st rounder would JR consider it?

Did you watch Neal this year? He scored the bulk of his goals early on when he was getting insanely lucky and getting top unit PP time. He was near useless at 5on5 and his goal scoring dried up about 20 games in.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Did you watch Neal this year? He scored the bulk of his goals early on when he was getting insanely lucky and getting top unit PP time. He was near useless at 5on5 and his goal scoring dried up about 20 games in.
Okay but he was also battling a foot injury. And we can offer him PP time, especially since Hornqvist is likely gone and Letang may even be traded.

Im not necessarily advocating we trade for him, I’m just saying if Edmonton was willing to attach their 2021 1st for example I would be interested. We don’t have one now so that could be big for us.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I didn't say that Rust was a 38 point forward. What I was alluding to was simply the fact that he's only had one season (or 2/3 of a season technically) with PPG pace. Acquiring teams would be wary of trading big assets for a player who could turn out to be a one-hit wonder.

It's the same argument that gets brought up all the time with regards to Graves or Burakovsky, who likewise haven't proved beyond 1 season that they can play at the level they're at right now.

That uncertainty means that GM's will be reluctant to give up prime prospects, especially for a guy with only 2 years term left.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Okay but he was also battling a foot injury. And we can offer him PP time, especially since Hornqvist is likely gone and Letang may even be traded.

Im not necessarily advocating we trade for him, I’m just saying if Edmonton was willing to attach their 2021 1st for example I would be interested. We don’t have one now so that could be big for us.
Only way I take Neal back is if he is accompanied by a nice pick or prospect and JJ is headed the other way, no retention.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't say that Rust was a 38 point forward. What I was alluding to was simply the fact that he's only had one season (or 2/3 of a season technically) with PPG pace. Acquiring teams would be wary of trading big assets for a player who could turn out to be a one-hit wonder.

It's the same argument that gets brought up all the time with regards to Graves or Burakovsky, who likewise haven't proved beyond 1 season that they can play at the level they're at right now.

That uncertainty means that GM's will be reluctant to give up prime prospects, especially for a guy with only 2 years term left.

But that's just the thing, I think you can apply the same line of thought to those players. This isn't a problem of me thinking Rust is super valuable, it's that the Penguins won't trade him unless you pay the value at which they value Rust. Burakovsky is the same exact way.

If someone offered the same exact return for Burakovsky as what he was traded for last year as a 30-40 point guy, Sakic would rightfully say no. And even if they bump up the offer to maybe a 40-50 point guy, Sakic still says no. A team needs to offer the value at which Burakovsky provides for the Avs for them to agree to trade Burakovsky, not the value that the team thinks that Burakovsky would provide for them.

Like I said in another post, it's not shopping at a grocery store, it's bartering. The "value" the Penguins would ask for with a Rust trade is pretty close to the "value" he provided for the Penguins last year, which was a 2-way PPG forward on a great deal. There are things that can decrease that value, such as the Penguins being determined to make a big trade or concerns about Rust repeating, but the base is a 2-way PPG forward. If other teams don't value him close to that, there isn't a workable trade and Rust won't get moved to that team.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don't think Rust is anything like Graves or Burakovsky. Dude has been a 20 goal pace winger for three of the last four years largely bouncing around the line up and playing bottom six minutes to carry lines int he bottom six.

He also led the Penguins in ES goals during the back to back.

Rust producing at a 25g 25a rate was something a group of Penguins fans said would happen if he was played solely in the top six. The issue was he was never used like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad