Rumor: GMJR: Penguins will try to get younger this off-season, JR is "looking at everything"

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Letang moved because of emergence of Dan Marino's son?
Malkin won't be moved though right?

Going by his comments over the years, Pittsburgh is home to him as far his NHL career goes. Letang, though, is the most significant player you could move if you still wanted Malkin (and, of course, Crosby) around to compete. However, Letang is a key cog in their system.

You move him and all of a sudden the defense (assuming the let Schultz walk in the offseason) looks something like...

Dumoulin - Marino(?)
Pettersson - Marino(?)
Johnson - Riikola/Ruhwedel

That is... not very good.

EDIT: Didn't see the comment about Letang.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

From adding the "more determined" part, I think this could mean that some prime aged players that were on both cup teams could be trade candidates as well. Hornqvist is the only "old" guy to trade, but if you want to get younger and more determined players, guys like Rust and Dumoulin also become options.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
JR later clarified that he's not looking to trade Letang or Malkin.

If he says he wants to get "younger" while not trading a core guy, I think that really leaves Hornqvist as the only big trade this off-season.

Thanks.

So expansion draft protection wise, which route do you guys go and id assume if its 7-3-1 you protect Letang, Dumo and Pettersson?
Marino is exempt right?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
JR later clarified that he's not looking to trade Letang or Malkin.

If he says he wants to get "younger" while not trading a core guy, I think that really leaves Hornqvist as the only big trade this off-season.

Hornqvist is still good, but how much value can you get for a 33 year old physical winger signed until he's 36 with a full NTC in a flat cap world?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Outside of the "core', Bjugstad (28), Hornqvist (33), Johnson (33), and Schultz (30) are all longer in the tooth.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I don’t get the get younger part so much.

Outside of Malkin / Crosby / Letang / Hornqvist / Johnson.

The team is between 23-28yrs old. I didn’t include Marleau because he is going to walk.

So if they aren’t trading the 4 above as they are the elite on the team. As Johnson is most likely not moveable. Is Rutherford meaning the 23-28yr old players are to get younger?

Schultz is 30 maybe he’s one of the only pieces moving?

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
That "everything" better include the coaching staff.
Quite the 180 from the Jack Adams thread less than a month ago, unless the idea is that Sullivan is fine, but his assistants need to go.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thanks.

So expansion draft protection wise, which route do you guys go and id assume if its 7-3-1 you protect Letang, Dumo and Pettersson?
Marino is exempt right?

Yeah this is right.

Hornqvist is still good, but how much value can you get for a 33 year old physical winger signed until he's 36 with a full NTC in a flat cap world?

I think Hornqvist will be willing to waive his NTC because he's not a top-6 player for the Penguins and isn't even guaranteed to be on the #1 PP unit. That doesn't mean you can trade him to Detroit, but I think he'd be willing to go to a team where he'd be a guaranteed top-6 forward and top PP unit player.

I think Hornqvist has 1-2 years left as being an effective top-6 forward, and probably around 3 years of being an effective top unit PP guy. The Penguins would need to take salary back for him, but I imagine they'd be able to do that fairly easily. He's not a cap dump, it would just have to be a money for money swap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t get the get younger part so much.

Outside of Malkin / Crosby / Letang / Hornqvist / Johnson.

The team is between 23-28yrs old. I didn’t include Marleau because he is going to walk.

So if they aren’t trading the 4 above as they are the elite on the team. As Johnson is most likely not moveable. Is Rutherford meaning the 23-28yr old players are to get younger?

Schultz is 30 maybe he’s one of the only pieces moving?

Schultz is definitely gone because JR threw him under a bus for being shit in the playoffs:

But I don't think that counts as getting younger, that's just letting a bad player walk in free agency. I think JR said 2 things, he wants to get younger and he wants to get "more determined" players. The younger angle really only applies to Hornqvist and JJ, and I expect JR to be trying like all hell to dump JJ's contract regardless. The "more determined" part can be applied to guys who have won already and have gotten complacent, you can include guys like Rust and Dumoulin if you include that criteria. You can do Dumoulin for a 24 year old top-4 D or Rust for a 23 year old top-6 forward, that counts as getting younger.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Quite the 180 from the Jack Adams thread less than a month ago, unless the idea is that Sullivan is fine, but his assistants need to go.

Sullivan and Recchi, and maybe Martin, need to go. That's how much things fell part down the stretch and during the playoffs.

Reactions: Super Hans

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Does Guentzel cound as part of the core? Or would JR entertain offers for him involving young players and/or NHL-ready prospects + picks?

How about McCann? He's 24. Would something around Jost and McCann work?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does Guentzel cound as part of the core? Or would JR entertain offers for him involving young players and/or NHL-ready prospects + picks?

How about McCann? He's 24. Would something around Jost and McCann work?

Guentzel is definitely safe I imagine. McCann may be a trade candidate but Jost for McCann is a downgrade with pretty much no upside.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There isn't much left there to trade if you're keeping the core together. They have $60m committed two years from now and guys like Johnson, Hornqvist, Tanev and Bjugstad aren't fetching you much.

Three picks in this year's draft...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks.

Marino is exempt right?
Marino is exempt. I kind of hope we find a D better than Pettersson this offseason and protect him. Leave Petts as the #5 and if we lose him, so be it.

7Fs:
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Zucker
Rust
Tanev
McCann (or replacement 3C if traded)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There isn't much left there to trade if you're keeping the core together. They have $60m committed two years from now and guys like Johnson, Hornqvist, Tanev and Bjugstad aren't fetching you much.

Yeah for a team that's "going for it" with moving futures for Zucker it's a huge fail to get eliminated so early. Hard to see what direction they'll go in now, other than moving out a goalie and a couple of older players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The "core" is 3 players, it's only Crosby, Malkin and Letang. That leaves a ton of players beyond those 3. I don't think they'd move Guentzel, but he's a possibility. Dumoulin and Rust seem like the more likely ones.

What would Pittsburgh want for McCann or Rust from Colorado?

The Penguins would need a younger top-6 winger for Rust, which I don't think the Avs have. Rust is coming off a PPG season, they'd want a "1st line RW making $3.5 million" return for him.

McCann probably brings back a similar return to Burakovsky, 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd in value. I don't know that the Penguins would want picks for him, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->