News Article: GMJR HAS RESIGNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think a NMC only gives a player a say in where he’ll go, not that he won’t go. Nobody, not Malkin or even Crosby, would want to stay where they’re not wanted and where the team is tanking. It might look nice on hockeydb to see a guy only played for one team their whole career but there’s other factors, like winning, earnings and personal enjoyment.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I mean... Players request trades all the time.

GMs can't be traded and that still isn't the same. This isn't just PLD asking for a trade, half assing it on a couple shifts and getting benched. This isn't when a player holds out for a better contract. It is more equivalent if PLD showed up for a couple games then quit or retired.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m hearing ownership nixed a Letang trade. Quite honestly, owners pay everyone so if they want to nix a trade they have that right. It’s their business, after all.

just an odd thing to quit on a team over, though. Just ride out the year and retire or something.

Yeah, if that’s it, it’s really immature... he’s been here awhile and knows the score with the “core”...that couldn’t have been a surprise...you’d think it has to be more

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Yeah, if that’s it, it’s really immature... he’s been here awhile and knows the score with the “core”...that couldn’t have been a surprise...you’d think it has to be more
so you think that a lifelong hockey guy, from player to GM is told No by a Political Hack turned Hockey COO Morehouse is cool

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe the Pens want to get younger at GM, and 70 year old Tallon would do that.
Tallon would scare me more than Morehouse and Morehouse scares me more than JR did. Sure hope we're looking in a completely different direction.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I’m hearing ownership nixed a Letang trade. Quite honestly, owners pay everyone so if they want to nix a trade they have that right. It’s their business, after all.

just an odd thing to quit on a team over, though. Just ride out the year and retire or something.

I don't know. If JR felt like the best thing he could do for the team was to trade a particular player for a certain return, and he didn't see other viable options, then I could see him feeling like quitting was a responsible thing to do. Theoretically, you wouldn't want a GM who doesn't see any options for improving the team, would you? You would want a GM who sees and has a plan. No? I'm not saying that quitting your job with no notice is a super helpful idea. Just saying it's possible that JR might actually have seen quitting as the most helpful thing he could do at this point. We can disagree about whether or not it was the right thing to do, but I think it could be a potential rational explanation for his departure.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Tallon? I can think of nothing more insulting to someone in JR's spot than to have someone like Tallon brought into the organizationv for an advisory role by others within the organization. This one actually makes a lot of sense, if only because nobody has gone out of their way to deny it. It also would explain why 7 games . . . because you have doubts but say okay anyway because you're assured nothing will change and then you see over a month what 'an observer' means in practice.
Except Tallon's not part of the organization. At all.

This list, already updated to reflect Patrick Allvin's interim tag and which includes part-time advisers like Cullen and Daley, doesn't include Dale Tallon.

Pittsburgh Penguins Front Office Staff

So there was no "observer" looking over things the past few weeks like your last couple sentences suggest.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't have any strong feelings on hiring Tallon either way. He's really not much different than JR in my eyes, which I honestly see as a strong justification to bring him in as GM. Don't tip the apple cart by trying to go with a young guy or an assistant, try to basically get another JR style GM.

I wouldn't mind it but I also wouldn't be super excited about it. It's not like they're hiring Steve Yzerman, but they're also not hiring John Chayka :laugh:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Geno has quit on the team Rutherford has tried to move him he has tried to move
letang ownership agreed to offseason trades but were already making moves to replace jimmy

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I buy the Tallon angle more than Letang/Geno.

If they hire him, it would all but confirm it, no?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JR is well known to be an upstanding guy and one who values relationships within the league.

I keep wondering what made him so mad he up and quit so abruptly with the season just starting.

It’s so bizarre and he obviously knew it would be a really bad look for him, yet didn’t care.

Something had to really piss him off to just say “f*** this shit” and walk away like this with such poor optics.

It’s a little disturbing from my POV.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except Tallon's not part of the organization. At all.

This list, already updated to reflect Patrick Allvin's interim tag and which includes part-time advisers like Cullen and Daley, doesn't include Dale Tallon.

Pittsburgh Penguins Front Office Staff

So there was no "observer" looking over things the past few weeks like your last couple sentences suggest.

The owners wanted to bring in Tallon as an advisor during the last off-season but JR refused. That's why Tallon is being mentioned.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Mike Sullivan wasn't going to throw Jim Rutherford under the bus, but this is still a pretty strong refutation of any rift between coach and GM.

Reactions: ncm7772

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Exactly... you get a return because life goes on after malkin.

Anyone think he will take a significant drop in salary to stay in pitt?

I really don't know what his intentions are after this contract is up.
No you let him finish his career as a penguin

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Geno has quit on the team Rutherford has tried to move him he has tried to move
letang ownership agreed to offseason trades but were already making moves to replace jimmy
Jimmy? WTF is your second sentence supposed to mean?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tallon would scare me more than Morehouse and Morehouse scares me more than JR did. Sure hope we're looking in a completely different direction.
Yea I don’t want another crusty dinosaur either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->