News Article: GMJR HAS RESIGNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'm starting to believe the idea that JR wasn't happy about owners meddling and was concerned about his long-term standing in the organization. It may not just be the Letang thing, but it may also be the dismissal of assistant GMs (that Yohe mentioned wasn't all on JR) and also the Tallon thing. I was thinking it was probably around something JR wanted to do that owners wouldn't let him do, my guess was firing Sullivan but trading Letang also falls in that category. I can see JR being fed up with the meddling and also just hating being a GM during a pandemic, to the point where he just quit because he was tired of it.

That's also why I really suspect Tallon will become the Penguins next GM. The lip service that the owners feed the media, like when Rossi said that Lemieux and Moorehouse wanted JR to stay as GM, really rings hollow if they're bringing in his replacement and also undermining his moves.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Whether or not its too late to deal Letang or not, the last person you would ever want trading Letang at this point in his career is JR.

He completely tanked Murray's value, had to give up a 2nd to get Vegas to take Fleury and his last 3 big defense signings were Cody Ceci, Jack Johnson and Matt Hunwick. Not to even mention trading for Gudbranson and Matheson. Its a blessing in disguise he is gone

I always forget that last season started with Gudy on the roster...

What a wild roster ride the penguins been on the last few seasons. Wild ride....

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think it is very telling that the Penguin player interviewed in the Athletic article said “he quit on us”.

I wonder if this is the rallying call for this team. Sort of an F you to Rutherford for leaving them high and dry.

A player really said that? I think some players must have been tired of JR going public or turning over the team so much then. If that’s really how they look at it it’s a good thing he left because he must not have much support from the guys.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With respect to any speculation, I think one thing to consider is that there had to be something so significant as to cause JR to step down immediately (rather than announcing he'd be stepping down at the end of the year).

To me, that just goes back to something had to happen which made JR think they don't trust him. It's not about whether he was right. Just that he felt that way, because after the years and two cups, I could see that being something that would prompt someone to say he's done.

A Letang trade where management disagrees with how he values Letang translates as 'you don't trust me'. BUT, there's not really a ton of smoke there.

Sullivan? Well, he wasn't mentioned by name and it seems like they've had personnel disagreements at times and maybe they nixed a move based on money owed, but again I'm not seeing a lot of smoke.

Tallon? I can think of nothing more insulting to someone in JR's spot than to have someone like Tallon brought into the organizationv for an advisory role by others within the organization. This one actually makes a lot of sense, if only because nobody has gone out of their way to deny it. It also would explain why 7 games . . . because you have doubts but say okay anyway because you're assured nothing will change and then you see over a month what 'an observer' means in practice.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A player really said that? I think some players must have been tired of JR going public or turning over the team so much then. If that’s really how they look at it it’s a good thing he left because he must not have much support from the guys.

A person with the Penguins in Boston described Wednesday as “weird.”
“But not as weird as you’d think considering our GM quit on us.”

Sorry, it may be a staff member.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
A person with the Penguins in Boston described Wednesday as “weird.”
“But not as weird as you’d think considering our GM quit on us.”

Sorry, it may be a staff member.

Either way, implies a certain level of a lack of respect for one reason or another. Suggests things have been contentious behind the scenes.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don’t have much of an opinion on Tallon, he kind of seems like another JR. Florida has been a mess for a long time and I don’t think it was his fault though, so I’m not going to outright say he would close the window. I don’t know why anybody would have an extreme reaction either way.

I think the whole forgetting to qualify the Hawks RFA's making them UFA's thing is a bit of a red flag.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not buying the ownership stepping in to nix a trade of a popular player angle. Yes, ownership and GM's have differing POV to a degree, as ownership needs to sell tickets. But if keeping the old gang together that the public loves idea was a thing, MAF would still be here.

Ownership has seemed to be pretty hands off to me. Burkle has much bigger fish to fry and I doubt that he even thinks of the Pens all that much. Mario always shunned the spotlight. I got the feeling when they stepped in last time and got rid of Shero it was very very reluctantly and a last straw forcing their hand kind of thing.

Reactions: Gurglesons

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
All I know about Tallon is he could build a team through the draft. And hasn’t done much good in awhile. Not sure how that helps us lol.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think the whole forgetting to qualify the Hawks RFA's making them UFA's thing is a bit of a red flag.

I think Tallon kind of fell on that sword. He built the 2010 Blackhawks which was a ridiculous team to be fair to him. Not saying he’s the ideal candidate I just see pros and cons. I’m less eager to judge candidates after JR wrapped up a bad decade in Carolina only to come in and do such a magical job that he wound up in the hall of fame 4 years later.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not buying the ownership stepping in to nix a trade of a popular player angle. Yes, ownership and GM's have differing POV to a degree, as ownership needs to sell tickets. But if keeping the old gang together that the public loves idea was a thing, MAF would still be here.

Ownership has seemed to be pretty hands off to me. Burkle has much bigger fish to fry and I doubt that he even thinks of the Pens all that much. Mario always shunned the spotlight. I got the feeling when they stepped in last time and got rid of Shero it was very very reluctantly and a last straw forcing their hand kind of thing.

Yeah. Pretty much.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m hearing ownership nixed a Letang trade. Quite honestly, owners pay everyone so if they want to nix a trade they have that right. It’s their business, after all.

just an odd thing to quit on a team over, though. Just ride out the year and retire or something.

Reactions: Andy99

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'm not 100% sure but I think that was Bowman, not Tallon.

Tallon basically constructed that Hawks dynasty while Bowman took over after it was basically completed.

It was under Tallon and Bowman took over not too long after that. I could buy that someone else was supposed to handle it, but that's a pretty massive blunder to happen under your watch.

I didn't even realize that he played for the Pens from 78-80. I'm shocked it hasn't been announced yet now that I know that.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
People are speculating/hoping for Dave F'ing Tallon?
Put EJ back until he expires if it's that dire of a situation!
CP, Tony Espo, Shero...anything but the Talon clown FFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->