GMGM is arguably having the best GM peak of all time!

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So with the Washington Capitals making the Stanley Cup finals, General manager George McPhee has got a good case for the best GM peak of all time. People forget, but the Washington Capitals is basically GMGMs creation in the first place as most of the team and all the core pieces are the same as when he left to go and work for Vegas. And by building Vegas from scratch and making the finals with them in his first year, GMGM has out GM:ed all the other GMs in the league by a wide margin. Being the GM that's pretty much single handedly responsible for both the 2 teams making the finals is unheard of, especially now that we're living in a 31 team league. And the best part of it all is that it doesn't matter who wins the cup, because GMGM wins anyway.

GMGM is basically starting to look like the Hasek of GMs after this. He's got an incredible peak, but his prime isn't as impressive. So what do you think, is this the best peak ever by a GM? And who are the other GMs that you could make a case for?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
With all due respect, no one has forgotten that McPhee was the architect of the Caps. Every sports broadcaster in the country has been reminding us all of this fact since both teams made the Conference Finals, if not before that.

Reactions: Rorschach

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I realize this thread is in jest, but if we're going to use 'responsible for building two simultaneous Stanley Cup contenders' as the determining factor for greatest GM peak, then the answer is Frank Selke.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The two most ridiculed GM's on Hfboards Rutherford, and Mcphee. Rutherford got an underachieving Pens team to win back to back, McPhee had his hand in every single player in the stanley cup ( Which is almost unheard of) and what he done with Vegas is amazing. If Vegas wins the cup I wonder who will play his role in the movie about this team.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The two most ridiculed GM's on Hfboards Rutherford, and Mcphee. Rutherford got an underachieving Pens team to win back to back, McPhee had his hand in every single player in the stanley cup ( Which is almost unheard of) and what he done with Vegas is amazing. If Vegas wins the cup I wonder who will play his role in the movie about this team.

Both guys were unnecessarily ridiculed. But i would say GMGM had way more to do with vegas and caps than rutherford for pittsbheg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Both guys were unnecessarily ridiculed. But i would say GMGM had way more to do with vegas and caps than rutherford for pittsbheg

obviously. GMGM acquired every player in the finals. However Rutherford made some moves that were laughed at the time and it paid off big time.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I would say, in all honesty, that GMGM had the best offseason of any GM I have ever seen. Last year's expansion draft was spectacular.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
>reads this:

"So with the Washington Capitals making the Stanley Cup finals, General manager George McPhee has got a good case for the best GM peak of all time."

>thinks this would make a good mulletman thread
>holy kuznetsov it was mulletman

Keep doing what you're doing, you've created your own distinct brand

Reactions: 1specter and olli

Aug 3, 2010
GMGM isn't as good as you think he is; I can guarantee you his team won't win the Stanley Cup this year.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
He got lucky with Vegas. Everyone expected them to be awful this year and no one could have seen the chemistry that would be developed through this team. GM can't predict that. He was expecting to go for rebuild and everyone else was. This isn't his doing, this is the coach and the players.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
It sure seems like he is, and I can't wait to see what GMDP robs him of next for one of our rags on skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad