News Article: GMBG Caught Up in Lawsuit from Pittsburgh Days

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Skalde felt that Guerin did play a part, don't you think he would've made mention of that and included Guerin as a defendant in the suit?

No, because it's a wrongful termination lawsuit that ultimately had nothing to do with Guerin as he was gone from the organization. However, they did bring up allegations that the Pens organization knew about Donatelli's behavior and ignored it, but they accused the entire Pens organization of that (which Guerin was apart of at the time). But that isn't the focus of the case. This is a great slight of hand by the Pens and by fans, because as predicted this story dropped out of the headlines within a week.

Finally, this shouldn't be something that is brought up in a court case, but something that the NHL should dig into and verify (like, you know reporters?) If an organization hid the behavior, unintentionally or intentionally, a guy like Donatelli, they should investigate it and see why it happened and how to fix it.

Look at what happened with Bill Peters and Mike Babcock. There was no civil suite or even litigation when they were both canned. And Babcock was quite popular.

Yeah, from the limited reading and listening I have heard on this was that Guerin isn't even a focus in the lawsuit. The lawsuit mentions thatSkalde went to Guerin and Guerin said he would handle this.

THIS. ISN'T. ABOUT. THE. LAWSUIT.

This is about the allegations brought up in the lawsuit, which is TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

If I go to my boss, and tell him that someone is embezzling money from the company, and has a history of stealing and lying, and has stolen from the company before, and the person I reported it to knew about it and ignored it; then later I was let go from my job, and then I turn around and sue them, you think it's okay even if my lawsuit has no merit to completely ignore the fact that the person I reported it to didn't look into previous reports?

No one is saying Guerin is guilty of anything, or even the Pens did anything wrong in any of this case, but it would be nice to know if the NHL launched an investigation into some of the reports that the Skalde's brought up. This isn't about a criminal case, this is making sure that the work place is non-hostile work environment.

There seems to be two constant directions people are trying to go in this thread. There's the direction that some want to just talk about the lawsuit and only focus on what the lawsuit is about. And in contrast, there's a lot more other people want to point out about more of what is said or implicated in the lawsuits allegations.

I don't know of anyone posters here who were acting like this is unquestionable true and the timetable of the Penguins knowing and doing nothing to Donatelli is certain. But it is a point of contention, but some people ignore it because sure in all likelyhood nothing at all will come of that. None of that will be even likely looked into because it isn't what this suit is about. But that being ignored is what is the troubling part. Even if something through the suit came that pushed there to being evidence of other allegations, is there likely any independent or NHL investigation likely to occur, No. And maybe the Penguins did have things structurally well kept, but only discovered things in that short investigation after Skalde told them what happened or maybe those aren't true. But those are all things apart of the situation and culture beyond just the termination case or the keep quiet line.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
No, because it's a wrongful termination lawsuit that ultimately had nothing to do with Guerin as he was gone from the organization. However, they did bring up allegations that the Pens organization knew about Donatelli's behavior and ignored it, but they accused the entire Pens organization of that (which Guerin was apart of at the time). But that isn't the focus of the case. This is a great slight of hand by the Pens and by fans, because as predicted this story dropped out of the headlines within a week.

Finally, this shouldn't be something that is brought up in a court case, but something that the NHL should dig into and verify (like, you know reporters?) If an organization hid the behavior, unintentionally or intentionally, a guy like Donatelli, they should investigate it and see why it happened and how to fix it.

Look at what happened with Bill Peters and Mike Babcock. There was no civil suite or even litigation when they were both canned. And Babcock was quite popular.

Allegations, are exactly what they sound like, allegations. Why waste resources, especially in a year where every penny matters, in a he said she said story. Especially when the only known factual evidence about this is the fact that a criminal complaint was not made, the timeline reeks of negligence on the side of the accuser, and this lawsuit reeks of half truths brought up after a termination to save money in a covid year and could just as easily been partially fabricated as a retaliation for said firing?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Allegations, are exactly what they sound like, allegations. Why waste resources, especially in a year where every penny matters, in a he said she said story.

So, businesses and companies shouldn't look into reports of sexual harassment brought up in a lawsuit because they are afraid of wasting money? I mean the allegations against Bill Peters and Mike Babcock were allegations until suddenly they weren't.

This isn't a waste of resources to make sure that everything was compliant with the policies and standard set out by a business.

Was it a waste of time to start investigating Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby?

Especially when the only known factual evidence about this is the fact that a criminal complaint was not made, the timeline reeks of negligence on the side of the accuser, and this lawsuit reeks of half truths brought up after a termination to save money in a covid year and could just as easily been partially fabricated as a retaliation for said firing?

Except that should be easy to disprove and prove. Call up the restaurant, call up the friend. More so, if Donatelli was as bad as they say he is, there should be an easy paper trail or history to pick up on. This isn't something that they should just let die; I mean, Steve Downie brought up the case of pretty bad hazing in the CHL. Should we ignore that because Downie was a dirtbag and there were half-truths to his stories?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
So, businesses and companies shouldn't look into reports of sexual harassment brought up in a lawsuit because they are afraid of wasting money? I mean the allegations against Bill Peters and Mike Babcock were allegations until suddenly they weren't.

This isn't a waste of resources to make sure that everything was compliant with the policies and standard set out by a business.

Was it a waste of time to start investigating Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby?

Except that should be easy to disprove and prove. Call up the restaurant, call up the friend. More so, if Donatelli was as bad as they say he is, there should be an easy paper trail or history to pick up on. This isn't something that they should just let die; I mean, Steve Downie brought up the case of pretty bad hazing in the CHL. Should we ignore that because Downie was a dirtbag and there were half-truths to his stories?

This was already done.... as explained in the complaint. The employee left the organization. Im failing to see what else youre expecting here outside of a witch hunt towards upper management over what ifs. They arent the ones that sexually harassed anyone, and without criminal complaints filed theres nothing to investigate from a legal standpoint. Its he said she said.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
The allegations are without merit.

In case some of the folks who keep arguing in circles: the term "without merit" means that no legal basis exists for the acceptance, allowance, or crediting of a claim, defense, or legal argument.

Reactions: GuerinUp

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This was already done.... as explained in the complaint. The employee left the organization. Im failing to see what else youre expecting here outside of a witch hunt towards upper management over what ifs. They arent the ones that sexually harassed anyone, and without criminal complaints filed theres nothing to investigate from a legal standpoint. Its he said she said.

Did you miss the part where they are also alleging that upper management knew about Donatelli's behaviour but ignored it, because he was successful? Where was it explained that the NHL conducted an investigation into the Penguins organization about Donatelli?

It's not about a legal standpoint either as mentioned above.

The allegations are without merit.

In case some of the folks who keep arguing in circles: the term "without merit" means that no legal basis exists for the acceptance, allowance, or crediting of a claim, defense, or legal argument.

Okay, and where are these news articles proving the without merit claim? The NHL hasn't investigated at the moment.

I don't know how many times this can be said, but this isn't about the lawsuit as that looks pretty flimsy at the moment. This is about Donatelli, the Pens organization and their knowledge of his behaviour. From what I can tell, neither the NHL nor the Penguins have talked about it, nor have investigated what the Pens knew about Donatelli (he was with the organization for 8 years!). The Pens have provided no evidence that they knew nothing about Donatelli, even though there are allegations that they did.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Okay, and where are these news articles proving the without merit claim? The NHL hasn't investigated at the moment.

I don't know how many times this can be said, but this isn't about the lawsuit as that looks pretty flimsy at the moment. This is about Donatelli, the Pens organization and their knowledge of his behaviour. From what I can tell, neither the NHL nor the Penguins have talked about it, nor have investigated what the Pens knew about Donatelli (he was with the organization for 8 years!). The Pens have provided no evidence that they knew nothing about Donatelli, even though there are allegations that they did.

How do you produce evidence that somebody didn't hear something and did nothing as a result?

That's like a judge telling the defendant to prove that they didn't commit a crime.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Did you miss the part where they are also alleging that upper management knew about Donatelli's behaviour but ignored it, because he was successful? Where was it explained that the NHL conducted an investigation into the Penguins organization about Donatelli?

The complaint lists two allegations, then says "Penguins management was apparently aware of the allegations"

Based on what. They provide zero coraborating evidence.

Call the restaurant? What restaurant? Allegation and lawsuit doesnt list one. Just says it exists.

Its a money grab off of a terrible situation the pens aren't responsible for.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Most of the hockey world knows of Donatelli reputation going back to his days at BU. A really good guy but pushes the envelope way to far.
This incident shouldn’t shock anyone especially BG.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

This statement answers itself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad