Post-Game Talk: [GM81] Canucks defeat Ducks | 3-2 | Boeser, Kuzmenko, & Miller

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
My guy Beau did all he could to convince me he could be a top-6 player in Vancouver, succeeded, and now is doing all the can to convince me he's at best a 4th line winger. I'm getting vertigo watching him play for us.

Reactions: CanuckCity

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Assuming OEL isn't removed and Myers is, that would leave us with just 1 D spot to focus on:

Hughes-???
OEL-Hronek
Hirose-?Burroughs?

I see OEL as a 3rd pairing guy next year unless he bounces back to his 21-22 self, which is unlikely. I really hope we can dump Myers too.

So, what do we have?

Hughes - ???(Bring back Schenn? Burroughs? Bear?)
Hirose - Hronek
OEL - ??? (Burroughs? Bear? Woo? Johansson?)

Rathbone (I'm sure he's gone)
Wolanin

Still looks pretty rag-tag. But Hirose appears to be found money in any case.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hirose has many cost controlled years because he's an RFA. It sounds like you are not aware of the fact that a player on an ELC that hits their performance targets turns a 900K cap into a $3m cap.
Hirose's ELC ends this year and subsequent contracts cannot be bonus-laden until he is 35. He'll likely be signed to a 2-3 year, ~950k one-way deal (or something similar to the Wolanin/Briseboise contracts where it's a two-way deal but with very nice minors salary).

edit: I think maybe you knew this and I was misreading the tone of the post, but I'll leave it is as-is because FACTS

What is a Performance Bonus?​

A Performance Bonus can be given to a player in addition to their salary. Performance bonuses are only paid to the player if they meet the requirements as defined by the bonus. Performance bonuses count against the salary cap; however, a team can exceed the salary cap due to performance bonuses by the maximum performance bonus cushion amount of 7.5 percent of the upper limit. Not all players are eligible for Performance Bonuses, and to receive a bonus within their contract, a player must meet one of the following criteria:
  1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I see OEL as a 3rd pairing guy next year unless he bounces back to his 21-22 self, which is unlikely. I really hope we can dump Myers too.

So, what do we have?

Hughes - ???(Bring back Schenn? Burroughs? Bear?)
Hirose - Hronek
OEL - ??? (Burroughs? Bear? Woo? Johansson?)

Rathbone (I'm sure he's gone)
Wolanin

Still looks pretty rag-tag. But Hirose appears to be found money in any case.
I think OEL will pair better with Hronek than with Myers, as the latter can handle most of the primary facilitating and has a good touch pass. All OEL has to do is be his Maatta which I think he's reasonably capable of when healthy.

If both Hirose and Wolanin continue to show well next season, though, that's when you need to buy him out.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As bad as things are for the Canucks, you have to have a twinge of sympathy for the Ducks. Granted they've got some good young players in their lineup, but without a supporting cast around them, it looks to me like they've 'hit the wall' in terms of their development.

The few veterans they have like Henrique, Fowler, Vatranao and Gibson look like trade candidates to me--with more draft picks coming back. But drafting a bunch of 18-year isn't going to help next season.

And their farm team in San Diego is one of the worst in the entire AHL--so no help there.

Of course all that could change in a hurry if they win the Bedard sweepstakes,......but if they don't it's still a long, hard road ahead back to respectability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad