News Article: GM Search: Pens and Hextall could reach a handshake agreement as soon as today, per Seravelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think anything in Hextall's vision would do that. He basically went into the Philadelphia job and completely undid that which is what ultimately led to his firing.

Truth be told, Burke is a legit hockey ops guy. So, in those areas, I don't think he's a figurehead. What I SUSPECT is that Hextall has carte blanche but it's understood that the two mega potential moves (Letang, coach) require Burke's green light and any moderately big move (involving a 1st or say a Zucker caliber player) is something where Burke needs to be kept in the loop. Honestly, that's how it works with many teams, anyway, where the GM reports to the President of Hockey OPS on the big stuff.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Thanks Ryan Wilson
Great... you just had to mention him...tomorrow's headline is now going to be that the Pens fired Sully and replaced him with Wilson. Not that I don't think getting rid of Sully would help, but Wilson is not the answer.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Truth be told, Burke is a legit hockey ops guy. So, in those areas, I don't think he's a figurehead. What I SUSPECT is that Hextall has carte blanche but it's understood that the two mega potential moves (Letang, coach) require Burke's green light and any moderately big move (involving a 1st or say a Zucker caliber player) is something where Burke needs to be kept in the loop. Honestly, that's how it works with many teams, anyway, where the GM reports to the President of Hockey OPS on the big stuff.

And let's be honest. Burke is the type of dude that is going to say die on your sword Ron.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They Flames went 197-178-35 under his watch and his five year plan never came to fruition just like in Toronto, where he was pretty much a disaster 128-135-42 (no playoffs and never topped 85 points).

You asked why anyone wouldn’t be happy with this hire and there is some very tangible evidence Burke never lives up to the hype.

As a GM, yeah he doesn't live up to the hype.

BUT, he's a legit hockey ops guy.

If Burke fires Hextall and assumes the role of GM as well, THEN I'll worry. :D

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Umm okay not sure how to feel about this

Exactly. Head is spinning a bit.

I believe in the idea of Hextall. I think the guy kept up a playoff team while also helping to rebuild the flyers, and started off from a worse position (contract and talent wise) than the Pens are in today.

The Burke thing I just dont know what to make of. I hope to hell this doesnt have an impact on the philosophy of the team. I dont want "truculence", I want speed and skill, and heart for when the going gets tough.

But, I mean, its abundantly clear the FO believe in this team's ability to win and win now. I guess that's a good thing, as long as they also recognize that some things just need to change if we're going to squeeze any more juice out of this lemon.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I believe in the idea of Hextall. I think the guy kept up a playoff team while also helping to rebuild the flyers, and started off from a worse position (contract and talent wise) than the Pens are in today.

The Burke thing I just dont know what to make of. I hope to hell this doesnt have an impact on the philosophy of the team. I dont want "truculence", I want speed and skill, and heart for when the going gets tough.

But, I mean, its abundantly clear the FO believe in this team's ability to win and win now. I guess that's a good thing, as long as they also recognize that some things just need to change if we're going to squeeze any more juice out of this lemon.

I think Burke realizes where the NHL is at and realizes what worked in Anaheim doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: Extra Texture

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I don't think this is the kind of move anyone would make if they didn't realize that. Otherwise they would have promoted from within.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As a GM, yeah he doesn't live up to the hype.

BUT, he's a legit hockey ops guy.

If Burke fires Hextall and assumes the role of GM as well, THEN I'll worry. :D

We’ll see how much he stays out of roster shaping, but I can’t imagine he won’t have any influence at all or on their general philosophies.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hahaha Burke too? Entertainment factor in these hires is through the roof.

Like Hextall lighting a Flyers jersey on fire, Burke dumping a tub on ice cream over Rossi's head will make the hire worth what comes later (maybe). :D

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hextall had a huge part on building the core of the Kings. Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown. As well as bringing up Quick, Muzzin, Voynov and others in their prospect system.

Both times those players couldn't get it done without further fixing. I said he had a hand in it, but to say he had a huge role into it beyond the GM is certainly misleading considering he had no final say on any of it. Who's to say he didn't do things differently had he been in charge.

He got to put in his 2 cents and he ran the affiliate. Like any GM and AGM (s) they rely heavily on their scouts/coaching staffs. Some of those were slam dunks that didn't go threw the system. Brown was before Ron got there. Muzzin was a chance taken. Not all players went through their system. Some are not really worth talking about and were just there for the ride. Every cup winner has some of those.

I'll admit he had a hand in it. He certainly did. To the extent a AGM can be.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Both times those players couldn't get it done without further fixing. I said he had a hand in it, but to say he had a huge role into it beyond the GM is certainly misleading considering he had no final say on any of it. Who's to say he didn't do things differently had he been in charge.

He got to put in his 2 cents and he ran the affiliate. Like any GM and AGM (s) they rely heavily on their scouts/coaching staffs. Some of those were slam dunks that didn't go threw the system. Brown was before Ron got there. Muzzin was a chance taken. Not all players went through their system. Some are not really worth talking about and were just there for the ride. Every cup winner has some of those.

I'll admit he had a hand in it. He certainly did. To the extent a AGM can be.

All of those players listed when through the system outside Doughty and Kopitar.

Hextall has been a very solid drafting mind since the early 2000s and built multiple contenders through his shrewd drafting.

14 of the players on the 2012 Kings squad came through the Monarchs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We’ll see how much he stays out of roster shaping, but I can’t imagine he won’t have any influence at all or on their general philosophies.

You think Hextall takes the job if he's a puppet?

I'm more inclined to think Burke is a buffer to ownership (he reports to Burke, Burke reports to Morehouse and ownership) and the guy who, in terms of personnel moves, only is required to give the green light on the biggest things (Letang or the coach . . . not mentioning Malkin, because we both know he stays unless he wants to go).

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really really hope you guys are right that Burke has a firm grasp on where the league is, these days.

These old school types tend to pine so much for something that is solidly in the past that they are determined to bring it back come hell or high water. That won't work here. Not convinced it would work anywhere, these days.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm more inclined to think Burke is a buffer to ownership (he reports to Burke, Burke reports to Morehouse and ownership) and the guy who, in terms of personnel moves, only is required to give the green light on the biggest things (Letang or the coach . . . not mentioning Malkin, because we both know he stays unless he wants to go).

And also in those cases Burke's support lends weight to the GM's decisions because of his experience.

It's pretty mind boggling that a few days ago everyone was in a tizzy that we might hire a relative newcomer and now we hired arguably the two most established candidates. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And also in those cases Burke's support lends weight to the GM's decisions because of his experience.

It's pretty mind boggling that a few days ago everyone was in a tizzy that we might hire a relative newcomer and now we hired arguably the two most established candidates. :laugh:

I actually think at least on the surface that this is a big win. I don't think a relative unknown or younger guy would have worked best, here. Experience, structure and a firm hand are probably for the best.

I just gotta sit back and see re: Burke. I have never liked the guy at least within the context of running a hockey club. He interviews well, though. lol

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You think Hextall takes the job if he's a puppet?

I doubt Hextall is a puppet, but he’s an odd hire for a team that wants a quick retool. He’s known for sitting on his hands so it’s difficult not to find it quite odd.

I watched Burke wreck the Leafs first hand through the eyes of friends and family, and it was ugly.

So having his crusty curmudgeon ass around in any capacity doesn’t exactly fill me with hope or glee.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt Hextall is a puppet, but he’s an odd hire for a team that wants a quick retool. He’s known for sitting on his hands so it’s difficult not to find it quite odd.

I watched Burke wreck the Leafs first hand through the eyes of friends and family, and it was ugly.

So having his crusty curmudgeon ass around in any capacity doesn’t exactly fill me with hope or glee.

Are we assuming that Hextall can't adapt (or perhaps that he didn't adapt his approach in Philly to what he thought was appropriate given where the team was at that time)?

We're actually on the same page with Burke as GM. I just think he's a legit team president. As long as he's the latter and not the former and this is more about him being a buffer for Hextall, then I'm okay-ish with it

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Are we assuming that Hextall can't adapt (or perhaps that he didn't adapt his approach in Philly to what he thought was appropriate given where the team was at that time)?

We're actually on the same page with Burke as GM. I just think he's a legit team president. As long as he's the latter and not the former and this is more about him being a buffer for Hextall, then I'm okay-ish with it

Anyone who wants to stay employed long term in the NHL can adapt I’d imagine, but Hextall is being hired on the hope he can change, whereas JR was hired on the hope he could do what he does.

Pretty big difference there, but I’m not mad or happy TBTH.

I’m pretty indifferent about his hiring.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I know the whole "old boys club" thing is lamentable when talking about injecting fresh blood in to the organization, but there's also something to be said for a guy like Burke who has been around the block; he will have connections all over the hockey world, just as Hextall will have folks from his tree in LA and Philly that have since fanned out across the NHL.

If the way to refresh this team is a whole lot of river boat gamblin', having those personal relationships might be a good way to get other teams on the phone. Especially if the whole JR playbook of "undervalued assets" is going to be the go to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->