Speculation: GM rankings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Amazing the credit MB gets for the trades he hasn't done...
Not sure who you're referring too...I'm not quite sure where Bergevin ranks on this list.

Certainly not near the upper 1/3rd

And I don't really care to rate anyone past that.

So.....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My top 10 would be:

1. David Poile
2. Steve Yzerman
3. Lou Lamariello
4. Doug Wilson
5. Ray Shero
6. Glen Sather
7. Stan Bowman
8. Doug Armstrong
9. Kevin Cheveldayoff (for scouting)
10. George Mc Phee

Bergevin in the middle of the pack.

Snow, Sakic, and the Florida, Arizona GMs on the bottom rung.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not sure who you're referring too...I'm not quite sure where Bergevin ranks on this list.

And I don't really care rate anyone past that.

So.....

Neither do I, I know Bergevin is bottom 5 though. That's all that matters to me

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Neither do I, I know Bergevin is bottom 5 though. That's all that matters to me
To me, there are a handful of GM's who I think are the best.

Yzerman, Poile, Kekalainen, Francis (big fan of he's building the Canes)...maybe 2 or 3 more i can't think of right now.

The rest are all part of the same group.

All capable of making good deals or bad ones but really have no sense of building a team

I'd say Bergevin is firmly entrenched in the latter group

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
To me, there are a handful of GM's who I think are the best.

Yzerman, Poile, Kekalainen, Francis (big fan of he's building the Canes)...maybe 2 or 3 more i can't think of right now.

The rest are all part of the same group.

All capable of making good deals or bad ones but really have no sense of building a team

I'd say Bergevin is firmly entrenched in the latter group

I'm picking up the what you're laying down. I'm a pretty strong believer in this as well.

Reactions: 417

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
A lot of truth in this statement.

A really dumb GM can really mess up a good scouts work though (I'm not saying Timmins is a really good scout, I think he was at one time, but that's a whole other topic.)

As far as rankings are concerned, every year there's a new hero crowned but it's hard to argue with what Yzerman has done in TB, Lamourello has gone a great job since joining the Leafs(myself and many others thought he was losing it in NJ...) Poile has put together a great team in NSH..

Good/Great GM:

Yzerman
Lamorello
Poile
Armstrong
Dorion
Rutherford
Kekalainen

To me there's a lot of average stuff in there, then you have your terrible GMs, which MB quite easily falls into.

I get the impression the GM meddling has impacted Timmins performance. However if I were him and that's the case I would've quit.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

And I don't really care to rate anyone past that.

So.....
You left Rutherford out of the top 10 ? Since 2000 went 4 times to the finals twice with Carolina 2002 winning 1 cup in 2006 and after getting to Pittsburgh in 2014 making those trades winning the cup 2 more times in 2016 and 2017

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You left Rutherford out of the top 10 ? Since 2000 went 4 times to the finals twice with Carolina 2002 winning 1 cup in 2006 and after getting to Pittsburgh in 2014 making those trades winning the cup 2 more times in 2016 and 2017
I'm not the biggest fan but certainly can't argue with those results...

I don't think I listed a too 10 for whatever it's worth

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
GMs build their teams according to their own 'visions' of it, or lack of it.

Bergevin built a team like he was as a player.

Hard-working, enduring, versatile, warrior spirit... but overall, the ultimate plumber.

So yeah, he has a vision, I just don't like it at all.

Not sure he's bottom 5 like some imply, but he sure is bottom 10...

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Fixed it for you. :thumbu:
Still not right. Here, I'll fix it for both of you:

Everyone else
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Assistant GMs
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
AHL assistant GMs
-
-
-
-
Youppi
-
-
-
-
-
Cardboard cut out of Bergevin
-
-
-
-
-
Bergevin

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How has he lost it ?

Look at some of those contracts he has signed? Wings are in a world of hurt in future years. If Zetterberg retires early, their cap situation gets worse too. Holland is not the best GM anymore and I won't even put him in the top 5 at the moment.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know Dean Lombardi got a bit punch drunk with success but I liked how he built the Kings. I've said before I would think he'd be a great GM here as long as we had a Bob Gainey/Ken Dryden type as team president.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Holland , Yzerman , Poile , Armstrong , Bowman , Lamoriello , Rutherford , B. Murray , How ever you want to rank them ? Then everyone else
aLUnce0m.png
cO3mukRm.png
eo3ztuwm.png

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A lot of truth in this statement.

A really dumb GM can really mess up a good scouts work though (I'm not saying Timmins is a really good scout, I think he was at one time, but that's a whole other topic.)

As far as rankings are concerned, every year there's a new hero crowned but it's hard to argue with what Yzerman has done in TB, Lamourello has gone a great job since joining the Leafs(myself and many others thought he was losing it in NJ...) Poile has put together a great team in NSH..

Good/Great GM:

Yzerman
Lamorello
Poile
Armstrong
Dorion
Rutherford
Kekalainen

To me there's a lot of average stuff in there, then you have your terrible GMs, which MB quite easily falls into.

Price was great and I thought MT stunk.

Sorry to blow your theory.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Interesting that both Yzerman and Bowman are high on everyone's list. I don't disagree as they are all business. They have however had many issues with players. TB has had many contract holdouts. Drouin and Stamkos come to mind...and the Marty St. Louis situation. Bowman is only loyal to a handful of players on his team and has signed them to massive contracts. They deserve it but he is cutthroat with his other players. He wasn't too popular with his coaching staff last summer when he traded Panarin.

Add me to the list that thinks Holland is massively overrated.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
There really aren't any great GMs in the league these days, a lot of GMs have made good moves but at the same time also made terrible moves... each year the "best GM" discussion in the league has different people as the top guys.

At the same time I find it kind of funny that people complain about Bergevin not making us a contender while in his 6th year here, while a guy like Poile who gets a ton of praise didn't make it past the 2nd round his first 17 years in Nashville.

Reactions: MrNasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad