Management GM Pierre Dorion WORST moves #8

Which move was the worst? #8

• 2016 1st (#12 OA) + 2016 3rd (#80 OA) for 2016 1st (#11 OA Logan Brown)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zack Smith (29 y/o) extension (4 years x 3.25)

• 2021 5th (#148 OA) for Erik Gudbranson (29 y/o)

• Logan Brown + 2022 4th for Zach Sanford (27 y/o)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) WORST moves

#1 - Mika Zibanejad (23 y/o) + 2018 2nd round pick (#33 OA) for Derick Brassard (29 y/o)
#2- Kyle Turris (28 y/o) + 2019 1st round pick (#4 OA) + Shane Bowers + 2019 3rd round pick (#63 OA) for Matt Duchene (27 y/o)
#3- Mark Stone (26 y/o) for Erik Brannstrom + 2020 2nd round pick (#61 OA Egor Sokolov)
#4- Mike Hoffman (29 y/o) + 2020 5th round pick (#126 OA) for Mikkel Boedker (29 y/o) + 2020 6th round pick (#158 OA Philippe Daoust)
#5- 2021 2nd round pick (#37 OA) for Derek Stepan (30 y/o)
#6- 2020 2nd round pick (#52 OA) + Jonathan Gruden for Matt Murray (26 y/o) + extension (4 years x 6.25)
#7- Anthony Duclair (25 y/o) not qualified, let go as a RFA
#8-
#9-
#10-

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

Some personal notes and options to add later

- Johnny Oduya (35 y/o) contract : 1 year x 2.25 (played way too much for where he was at, it was his last year in the NHL)
- Craig Anderson (37 y/o) extension : 2 years x 4.75 (that seemed very high for a goalie who was aging/declining)
- Anders Nilsson (29 y/o) extension : 2 years x 2.6 (too much too fast once again)
- Ron Hainsey (38 y/o) : 1 year x 3.5 (3rd in TOI/GP for D-men, best he could get I suppose)
- Evgeni Dadonov (27 y/o) contract : 3 years x 5.0 (vast majority liked that signing but he didn't fit in Ottawa. Dorion made a nice trade to get out of the contract thought, getting 1 year of Holden and a 3rd round pick)
- Michael Del Zotto (31 y/o) contract : 2 years x 2.0 (doesn't seem like it was a good idea, hindsight or not)
- Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff
- Evgeni Dadonov contract (same timing as Bobby Ryan buyout)
- Hiring Guy Boucher and staff
- Hiring DJ Smith and staff

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The DeMelo trade should be #5 in all honesty. The Stepan trade, the Murray signing, and the Duclair thing are all minor moves that didn't have big impacts on the team. Having DeMelo as a partner for Chabot would be huge for this team, with a right side of DeMelo, Zub, and Thomson, suddenly our defense actually looks somewhat decent.

Reactions: topshelf15

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Feels wrong to be panning the Boucher pick so early, but man is that looking to be a reach.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The whole Mark Stone thing started when we didnt sign him long term,why we thought bridging him was a good idea I will never understand...Imagine trading Stone with say around 3 years left how much better the return would have been...Or even better him playing with a kid like Stu

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Boucher might still be a phyisical winger for us, hard to tell. For me its DeMelo who'd be our 3rd best defender. If he had asked for $4million for 3-4 years, would that really be that bad? We've spent that much on Gudbranson, Josh Brown, Mete, Holden, etc... It was a horrible trade and even worse if Dorion thought Zaitsev could hold the line.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mann was in charge of the draft. No way Dorion was overriding anything to pick Boucher. Should be eliminated.
Trading Demelo without at least talking a possible extension hurt this team.
We had enough picks to take Leevi... He was not on many radars. I doubt we would have lost him.

Reactions: Alex1234

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I still think voting the Duchene trade as the 2nd worst is pretty short-sighted, it is not even close to being that bad all things considered...

The only significant pieces we gave up were Turris (at the time) and the #4 overall pick ( Bowen Byram) for Matt Duchene who if we break down his short career in Ottawa, was pretty much the player we expected (injuries aside). Dynamic, fast, elite offensively and highly skilled 1st line center.

By flipping Duchene for the 19th overall (Lassi Thomson), Abramov and Davidsson, we basically re-couped some of the losses from the original trade and it really is not that bad anymore:

Byram vs Thomson - could end up being close when we look back in say 10 years time.

Bowers vs Abramov- I still think Abramov will be a quality late bloomer type NHL'er, but for now it is wash since Bowers looks like a bust.

Turris vs Davidsson- Both are pretty much done as NHL players.

2019 3rd round pick- Matthew Stienburg (TBD)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still think voting the Duchene trade as the 2nd worst is pretty short-sighted, it is not even close to being that bad all things considered...

The only significant pieces we gave up were Turris (at the time) and the #4 overall pick ( Bowen Byram) for Matt Duchene who if we break down his short career in Ottawa, was pretty much the player we expected (injuries aside). Dynamic, fast, elite offensively and highly skilled 1st line center.

By flipping Duchene for the 19th overall (Lassi Thomson), Abramov and Davidsson, we basically re-couped some of the losses from the original trade and it really is not that bad anymore:

Byram vs Thomson - could end up being close when we look back in say 10 years time.

Bowers vs Abramov- I still think Abramov will be a quality late bloomer type NHL'er, but for now it is wash since Bowers looks like a bust.

It was the best chance at the first overall pick for a player they couldn't re-sign that didn't want to be here. At the time Turris also had quite a bit of value. Fireable offense on a well run organization. Byram is a sure fire top pairing d man he has 9 points in 13 games..... Him and Thomson are not close.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It was the best chance at the first overall pick for a player they couldn't re-sign that didn't want to be here. At the time Turris also had quite a bit of value. Fireable offense on a well run organization. Byram is a sure fire top pairing d man he has 9 points in 13 games..... Him and Thomson are not close.

So are you judging the trade on the value at the time, or the result??? You can't pick and choose which parts of the trade you judge on the value at the time and which parts you judge on the result. You claim Turris had alot of value even though he was an expiring UFA who was clearly going to start declining. But then you claim that Duchene's value at the time of the trade didn't matter even though his play in Ottawa was outstanding because he was an expiring UFA a year later??? Duchene was a top 10 scoring center in the league in 2018, while Turris was a healthy scratch in Nashville.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

It doesn’t make sense to me to include the assets the Sens recouped from Duchene in a secondary trade but to use Turris in the comparison rather than Kamenev, Girard and a 2nd which are the assets Colorado recouped in the Turris trade.

It goes without saying that Kamenev, Girard and a 2nd > Davidsson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So are you judging the trade on the value at the time, or the result??? You can't pick and choose which parts of the trade you judge on the value at the time and which parts you judge on the result. You claim Turris had alot of value even though he was an expiring UFA who was clearly going to start declining. But then you claim that Duchene's value at the time of the trade didn't matter even though his play in Ottawa was outstanding because he was an expiring UFA a year later??? Duchene was a top 10 scoring center in the league in 2018, while Turris was a healthy scratch in Nashville.
I am judging the terrible trade that resulted in giving up the best chance at the first overall pick for a player that didn't want to be here long term. I get it you love Pierre Dorion but this was the worst trade he made and was Mike Milburry esque. When making a trade you need to know the type of team you have when you're dealing first round picks it's part of it no how much you want to spin it.

Clearly Turris did have value as Colorado flipped him for Sam Girard +. So yeah terrible trade in every way possible.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Stone trade..Is the one that pisses me off the most....So much stupidity went into us losing an all star winger for a gimmick defender and a project RW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad