Management GM Pierre Dorion WORST moves #5

Which move was the worst? #5

• Rudolfs Balcers (23 y/o) lost on waivers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Condon (27 y/o) extension (3 years x 2.4)

• Zack Smith (29 y/o) extension (4 years x 3.25)

• 2021 5th (#148 OA) for Erik Gudbranson (29 y/o)

• 2020 4th (#95 OA) for Joshua Brown (26 y/o) + extension (2 years x 1.2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) WORST moves

#1 - Mika Zibanejad (23 y/o) + 2018 2nd round pick (#33 OA) for Derick Brassard (29 y/o)
#2- Kyle Turris (28 y/o) + 2019 1st (#4 OA) + Shane Bowers + 2019 3rd (#63 OA) for Matt Duchene (27 y/o)
#3- Mark Stone (26 y/o) for Erik Brannstrom + 2020 2nd (#61 OA Egor Sokolov)
#4- Mike Hoffman (29 y/o) + 2020 5th (#126 OA) for Mikkel Boedker (29 y/o) + 2020 6th (#158 OA Philippe Daoust)
#5-

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

Some personal notes and options to add later

- Johnny Oduya (35 y/o) contract : 1 year x 2.25 (played way too much for where he was at, it was his last year in the NHL)
- Craig Anderson (37 y/o) extension : 2 years x 4.75 (that seemed very high for a goalie who was aging/declining)
- Anders Nilsson (29 y/o) extension : 2 years x 2.6 (too much too fast once again)
- Ron Hainsey (38 y/o) : 1 year x 3.5 (3rd in TOI/GP for D-men, best he could get I suppose)
- Evgeni Dadonov (27 y/o) contract : 3 years x 5.0 (vast majority liked that signing but he didn't fit in Ottawa. Dorion made a nice trade to get out of the contract thought, getting 1 year of Holden and a 3rd round pick)
- Michael Del Zotto (31 y/o) contract : 2 years x 2.0 (doesn't seem like it was a good idea, hindsight or not)
- Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff
- Hiring Guy Boucher and staff
- Hiring DJ Smith and staff

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Don't necessarily mind the trade value wise but the Murray long term extension before he played a single game is looking pretty terrible right now. He's going to be an expensive backup in the near future. It was that or the Stepan trade for me

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm gonna go with acquiring the body that was formerly known as NHL player Derek Stepan.

You could argue they overpaid in trade value to have his bonus paid, but we still ended up with the same player.

Reactions: Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I won't stop until i hit the Boucher one. I am genuinely surprised how gracious people are , and patient with that pick

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Stepan for a 2nd - surprised its slipped to 5th. Then again, there's lots to choose from.

If losing a mere 2nd round pick is in a GM's top 5 worst deals, I'd say that GM is doing a pretty good job.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I won't stop until i hit the Boucher one. I am genuinely surprised how gracious people are , and patient with that pick

I think it's because people have been burned way too many times for declaring the Sens off-the-board pick a bust too early. I feel like it's happened a few too many times in the last few seasons: Pinto, Merilianen, JBD, Sokolov, Tkachuk (although that one wasn't really off-the-board).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If losing a mere 2nd round pick is in a GM's top 5 worst deals, I'd say that GM is doing a pretty good job.
Not so much for a 5 year GM that other than one season has only managed a basement dwelling team with no intention to compete for anything, resources to do so even if they wanted, and essentially no need to "buy" players.

Nor does that address the poor assessment on the player being acquired.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Its the Stepan trade for me because its a symptom of a larger problem, PD's inability to evaluate pro rated talent. Why waste assets for players, who based on their recent trajectory, showed no signs of being valuable for Ottawa? We'd have been better off getting a defenseman like Demers or Goligoski off Arizona. If he really wanted a vet C, maybe go for one that wasn't utterly in decline?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So many to choose from a seemingly never ending list. Not sure how someone can vote for Tyler Boucher over Sillinger when there is an option to Vote for Logan Brown + 3rd round pick over picking McAvoy.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
LOL. Your expectations are extremely low. Stepan was a cap dump & not a player you give up 2nd for. Nice try though.:eek:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Its the Stepan trade for me because its a symptom of a larger problem, PD's inability to evaluate pro rated talent. Why waste assets for players, who based on their recent trajectory, showed no signs of being valuable for Ottawa? We'd have been better off getting a defenseman like Demers or Goligoski off Arizona. If he really wanted a vet C, maybe go for one that wasn't utterly in decline?
And paying a 2nd for what was essentially a cap dump is ridiculous.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm going with Dylan DeMelo.

Here we are still struggling to find defencemen to play with our top guys and we had one who was relatively cheap and we traded him away.

It's too early for Tyler Boucher and I'm still not really sure what happened with Anthony Duclair who I believe overestimated his value to the Senators.

I see a lot of poll options involving draft picks but those can be a crap shoot.

In DeMelo I think we had a sure thing in terms of a competent top four complementary guy and we've been trying to replace him with Gudbranson, Cobourn, Del Zotto, Josh Brown etc. ever since.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Here we are still struggling to find defencemen to play with our top guys and we had one who was relatively cheap and we traded him away.

It's too early for Tyler Boucher and I'm still not really sure what happened with Anthony Duclair who I believe overestimated his value to the Senators.

I see a lot of poll options involving draft picks but those can be a crap shoot.

In DeMelo I think we had a sure thing in terms of a competent top four complementary guy and we've been trying to replace him with Gudbranson, Cobourn, Del Zotto, Josh Brown etc. ever since.

Yup. People are grasping at straws now. Every team in history has a long list of "should have drafted x instead of y".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Underrated mistake. Underrated value when he was here. So much better than who they have tried to fill in with.

Reactions: Alex1234

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Underrated mistake. Underrated value when he was here. So much better than who they have tried to fill in with.
There may have been a slight hope that they could trade DeMelo then sign him as a FA, i.e. have their cake and eat it too, but of course there was a risk of losing him, which is what happened. So sure, it was a mistake but there are worst ones on this list IMO (Stepan and Duclair to name a couple).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There may have been a slight hope that they could trade DeMelo then sign him as a FA, i.e. have their cake and eat it too, but of course there was a risk of losing him, which is what happened. So sure, it was a mistake but there are worst ones on this list IMO (Stepan and Duclair to name a couple).

All a big mumbo jumbo of mistakes at this point. I have the Murray signing but they stink the same or close enough imo.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I want to vote for like 5 moves at the same time

So many to choose from a seemingly never ending list. Not sure how someone can vote for Tyler Boucher over Sillinger when there is an option to Vote for Logan Brown + 3rd round pick over picking McAvoy.

Not comparable IMO because Brown was ranked higher (10th on McKenzie's list, and McAvoy was 14th).

Boucher was a MAJOR reach based on McKenzie's list. Should have just let the Rangers McIlrathing themselves.

I see a lot of poll options involving draft picks but those can be a crap shoot

True but just want to note that it's not just the value given up but even more the fact that we acquired these players that ended up negatively impacted the team. It's the value of the pick + the value of addition by subtraction (which sometimes takes too long)

Ex : acquiring DeMelo for a 3rd would be a great move. Acquiring Stepan for a 2nd is an awful move for a lot of reasons. One is our GM and pro scouting staff not able to watch a tape than is more recent than 2 years.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I hate that pick too but I'm willing to give a bit of leeway because of how little hockey prospects played last year. Even though I don't think that's why the pick was made.

Ugh. But Stepan was worse in my mind. We should have received a 2nd, not paid one. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I hate that pick too but I'm willing to give a bit of leeway because of how little hockey prospects played last year. Even though I don't think that's why the pick was made.

Ugh. But Stepan was worse in my mind. We should have received a 2nd, not paid one. Unbelievable.

It's insane when you think of it

Shayne Gostisbehere (2 years x 4.5 AAV but only 6.5 in salary owed) returned a 2nd and a 7th

As a FULL rebuilding team, we should have been weaponizing cap space and make a lot of moves like that. We made one but got Coburn and Paquette who just added to the plethora of way below average players we had

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I want to vote for like 5 moves at the same time

Not comparable IMO because Brown was ranked higher (10th on McKenzie's list, and McAvoy was 14th).

Boucher was a MAJOR reach based on McKenzie's list. Should have just let the Rangers McIlrathing themselves.

True but just want to note that it's not just the value given up but even more the fact that we acquired these players that ended up negatively impacted the team. It's the value of the pick + the value of addition by subtraction (which sometimes takes too long)

Ex : acquiring DeMelo for a 3rd would be a great move. Acquiring Stepan for a 2nd is an awful move for a lot of reasons. One is our GM and pro scouting staff not able to watch a tape than is more recent than 2 years.
Mackenzies list doesnt trump actual play. Its the same process the teams scout and make a decision.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The pick was made what, 4 months ago? It's not the pick I'd have made, but he's still got alot of runway left before we'll know how his career is going to pan out. I wanted Lucius, not sure I'd be willing to declare that pick being a surefire better player yet.

Not looking great but time will tell.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mackenzies list doesnt trump actual play. Its the same process the teams scout and make a decision.

Yeah but Boucher vs Sillinger/etc doesn't have the benefit of hindsight like Brown vs McAvoy has.

The point is that for the 2016 draft, even if Dorion didn't pick the right guy in the end, it wasn't a MAJOR reach like Boucher. So Brown was a regular miss at the draft. If Boucher misses, it's a Kopitar vs Lee f***up again

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad