Management GM Pierre Dorion WORST moves #2

Which move was the 2nd worst? #2

• Dylan Demelo for 2020 3rd (#71 OA Leevi Meriläinen)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colin White (22 y/o) extension (6 years x 4.75)

• 2021 5th (#148 OA) for Erik Gudbranson (29 y/o)

• Anthony Duclair (25 y/o) not qualified, let go as RFA

• Mike Condon (27 y/o) extension (3 years x 2.4)

• Hiring Guy Boucher and staff

• Hiring DJ Smith and staff

• 2020 4th (#95 OA) for Joshua Brown (26 y/o) + extension (2 years x 1.2)

• Zack Smith (29 y/o) extension (4 years x 3.25)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) WORST moves

#1 - Mika Zibanejad (23 y/o) + 2018 2nd round pick (#33 OA) for Derick Brassard (29 y/o)

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

There's plenty of moves I haven't fit yet but let's start with this

Some personal notes and options to add later

- Johnny Oduya (35 y/o) contract : 1 year x 2.25 (played way too much for where he was at, it was his last year in the NHL)
- Craig Anderson (37 y/o) extension : 2 years x 4.75 (that seemed very high for a goalie who was aging/declining)
- Anders Nilsson (29 y/o) extension : 2 years x 2.6 (uh too much too fast once again)
- Ron Hainsey (38 y/o) : 1 year x 3.5 (3rd in TOI/GP for D-men, best he could get I suppose)
- Evgeni Dadonov (27 y/o) contract : 3 years x 5.0 (vast majority liked that signing but he didn't fit in Ottawa. Dorion made a nice trade to get out of the contract thought, getting 1 year of Holden and a 3rd round pick)
- Michael Del Zotto (31 y/o) contract : 2 years x 2.0 (doesn't seem like it was a good idea, hindsight or not)
- Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Duchene trade is bad because Duchene was a meh centre at the time of his acquisition. He's barely been a PPG player and was marginally better then Turris.

He had seasons of 55, 59 and 41 points over at least 76 games in his last three seasons prior to the Ottawa trade. Was it an attempt to get someone who was "better' then Turris and an upgrade who had a decent contract for a couple years? Yes, but Dorion's evaluation of Duchene was awful. This is a player who had a decent 200 foot game, but wasn't going to be a game changer for us. He only played good for us during his contract year which is hardly inspiring.

Bowers, a 1st, and Turris aren't that bad of a price in hindsight, but its just another symptom of how bad Dorion is at evaluating players. Brassard and Duchene were not nearly as good as PD thought they'd be.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Duchene trade is bad because Duchene was a meh centre at the time of his acquisition. He's barely been a PPG player and was marginally better then Turris.

He had seasons of 55, 59 and 41 points over at least 76 games in his last three seasons prior to the Ottawa trade. Was it an attempt to get someone who was "better' then Turris and an upgrade who had a decent contract for a couple years? Yes, but Dorion's evaluation of Duchene was awful. This is a player who had a decent 200 foot game, but wasn't going to be a game changer for us. He only played good for us during his contract year which is hardly inspiring.

Bowers, a 1st, and Turris aren't that bad of a price in hindsight, but its just another symptom of how bad Dorion is at evaluating players. Brassard and Duchene were not nearly as good as PD thought they'd be.

Ya I think he fell in love with the player and got burned making concessions to make the deal happen. Negotiating 101 is always be willing to walk away, but Pierre likely had blinders on for that one.

Still have to go with the Stepan deal since nobody thought that was a good deal and he didn't even want to be here, a gigantic failure on all fronts.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It absolutely has to be stepan for a 2nd or Hoffman for Boedker.

Those showed brutal incompetence. I was actively advocating any return for Stepan means WE getting an asset, instead we gave away an asset. It was just brutal decision making.

The hoffman one he got played like a freaking fiddle.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The move he made on April 10th 2016 was a bad one for the organization I tell you that

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The Stepan trade was the Sens paying a 2nd so Stepan's signing bonus would be paid.

But the failure of this trade wasn't the concept. Getting a veteran centre who had some success in the NHL as a top 6 centre made a lot of sense. The failure was, as always, in the pro scouting. Stepan wasn't a top 6 forward anymore.

I voted the Duchene trade. What a cluster cuss of a deal that was. Set the team on the path of the rebuild

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
It's honestly quite disturbing seeing that list and thinking how far ahead the Sens would be without making at least half those moves.

No other GM would still have a job, but he's in the perfect scenario right now.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dorion was really on that NHL Be a GM Mode in the beginning of his career, going for the big trades. I was always in the middle field wrt my opinion on him but he’s settled in « nicely » and is a tad less impulsive with trades

Voted Duchene trade on this one. Stone and Hoffman trades should be next

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It absolutely has to be stepan for a 2nd or Hoffman for Boedker.

Those showed brutal incompetence. I was actively advocating any return for Stepan means WE getting an asset, instead we gave away an asset. It was just brutal decision making.

The hoffman one he got played like a freaking fiddle.

Yeah I can at least understand gambling on Duchene or Murray, even if they didn't work out, but everyone knew that trading a 2nd for Stepan, Dahlen for Burrows or Hoffman for Boedker were terrible moves indefensible by anyone that isn't a complete partisan.

It's those moves that drive me crazy. Hate pissing away assets for no reason at all.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I hate the Stepan trade. I hated it then and I hate it now. Such a friggin waste of a 2nd.

At least acquiring Duchene Dorion tried to get better - and he did. Duchene was good here, we were just done as a team.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
-The Duchene trade was ballsy and he was a young up and coming center at the time with some pedigree, I loved the move at the time and honestly, we re-couped some value for Duchene after trading him to Columbus so really the trade is not that bad for me.

-The Stone trade is bad, but I do like Brannstrom and Sokolov, so is it terrible? I suppose in hindsight we know the 2nd round pick is Sokolov but at the time, not even getting a 1st round pick for an elite player like Stone is definitely a fail; Brannstrom is also not what I thought we were getting.

-The Hoffman trade is just brutal, probably top 3 for me, so it gets my vote for 2nd worst. WE got absolutely zero value at the time and although I like the player we selected with the pick..the fact we gave up a 5TH round pick is just embarrassing when we were obviously giving up the best player in the deal.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I had to vote for the Duchene trade just because of how it turned out, even though I liked the value at the time. If the team didn't bottom out immediately and we kept Duchene, it would have been great, but Dorion should have known that team wasn't good enough, especially that D core. Replacing Methot with the corpse of Oduya still bothers me to this day as well as trying to play Harpur/Claesson in top 4 roles.....

The Hoffman trade is probably worse in terms of it being undeniably bad at the time of the trade and with the benefit of hindsight so I think it has to come next

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I had to vote for the Duchene trade just because of how it turned out, even though I liked the value at the time. If the team didn't bottom out immediately and we kept Duchene, it would have been great, but Dorion should have known that team wasn't good enough, especially that D core. Replacing Methot with the corpse of Oduya still bothers me to this day as well as trying to play Harpur/Claesson in top 4 roles.....

The Hoffman trade is probably worse in terms of it being undeniably bad at the time of the trade and with the benefit of hindsight so I think it has to come next

The opportunity cost of that trade was pretty high.
Could have one of Byram, Seider, Cozens...
Likely another 1st moving Turris at the TDL... Even if that was a 20+ pick there are good players .. at that point in the draft. Above that as well.
2 more young studs that would be in our lineup now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The opportunity cost of that trade was pretty high.
Could have one of Byram, Seider, Cozens...
Likely another 1st moving Turris at the TDL... Even if that was a 20+ pick there are good players .. at that point in the draft. Above that as well.
2 more young studs that would be in our lineup now.

Nashville paid Girard, Kamenev, 2nd for Turris, so that's probably around what we would have gotten if Dorion had waited to see if the Sens were a playoff contender or not before trading his 1st round pick and going all in on Duchene, as we would have presumably still imploded and then dealt Turris instead of re-signing him.

Was a good decision to not re-sign Turris and sell-high on a bad pick in Bowers, but it worked out pretty terribly. Girard + Byram/Seider instead of Thomson would be pretty nice to have right now.

I imagine Dorion justified trading two 1sts thinking the Sens pick was going to be a late one, but he misjudged his own team about as bad as one can. Even after going all-in on Duchene we finished 30th out of 31 teams. That's insane.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Dorion as GM is so brutal to this team, even 100 years from now, people will cringe in agony thinking about it. And this guy is still our GM - unbelievable!
For me Dorion on a local miniscule scale is Alan Eagleson - the bona fide boogieman of the hockey world. I believe there will be a movie made about Dorion, how infamous he will be in a history of NHL hockey.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nashville paid Girard, Kamenev, 2nd for Turris, so that's probably around what we would have gotten if Dorion had waited to see if the Sens were a playoff contender or not before trading his 1st round pick and going all in on Duchene, as we would have presumably still imploded and then dealt Turris instead of re-signing him.

Was a good decision to not re-sign Turris and sell-high on a bad pick in Bowers, but it worked out pretty terribly. Girard + Byram/Seider instead of Thomson would be pretty nice to have right now.

I imagine Dorion justified trading two 1sts thinking the Sens pick was going to be a late one, but he misjudged his own team about as bad as one can. Even after going all-in on Duchene we finished 30th out of 31 teams. That's insane.

Girard, Kamenev, 2nd is pretty close to a 1st no? or are you saying its more? . The misjudgment of where his own team was at is the root cause.
Either way that's 3 more assets . Kamenev had just put up 21g 30a in the AHL. ; Sam Girard basically stepped right into the Avs lineup in his D+2

Reactions: Bileur

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Girard, Kamenev, 2nd is pretty close to a 1st no? or are you saying its more? . The misjudgment of where his own team was at is the root cause.
Either way that's 3 more assets . Kamenev had just put up 21g 30a in the AHL. ; Sam Girard basically stepped right into the Avs lineup in his D+2

A package of Girard, Kamenev, 2nd is definitely far superior to a 1st.

Turris had quite a bit of value at the time of the trade, as evidenced by what Nashville was willing to pay for him.

He sucks now but at the time of the trade he actually had out-scored Duchene over the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Stone stings the most and the situation was handled terribly. Should've never signed the 1 year deal and gotten more in the sign and trade.

Duchene trade losing the 4th overall felt terrible but everything wasn't expected to go so wrong that season. Bad pro scouting and not replacing McArthur/Methot with anyone really tanked the season. Hard to lose a top 6 forward and top 4d for a bubble team. Would've been better off spending assets to replace them.

Hoffman was the worst though. Took back boedker who was terrible and dead weight and refused to trade him in the East for a better return only for him to get immediately flipped there for way more than they got. Somehow also gave up the better pick in that trade. Just horrible all around and my vote for 2nd worst. Showed how out of his league he was at the time and honestly can't say he's gotten any better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad