Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
What really bugs me is that we had Demelo, Namestnikov and Ennis as decent veterans we were familiar with.

Trading them for picks wasn't stupid but why trade them if you are going to veterans then following season? Why not keep the known quantities when going into the stormy sea that is a covid shortened season..

ASSET MANAGEMENT111111

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Every loss brings us one day closer to the end of Dorion's tenure as GM.

If he isn't canned at the end of this season then Melnyck will lose whatever microscopically thin shred of credibility he might have left.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What really bugs me is that we had Demelo, Namestnikov and Ennis as decent veterans we were familiar with.

Trading them for picks wasn't stupid but why trade them if you are going to veterans then following season? Why not keep the known quantities when going into the stormy sea that is a covid shortened season..

Obviously we didn't know about Covid when we traded those veterans but still. We were going to need veterans and we had decent ones who had bonded with our core.

The known quantity that had us finish 30th?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The known quantity that had us finish 30th?

We brought in a lot of new faces and it turns out that most of the new guys are bad while the old ones were decent/mediocre. I get wanting to change the air after another bottom three finish and wanting to cash out on UFAs, I don't think it was stupid.

It is just a shame that we had ok veterans and got rid of them to bring in other veterans that are worse.

Reactions: Deku

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We brought in a lot of new faces and it turns out that most of the new guys are bad while the old ones were decent/mediocre. I get wanting to change the air after another bottom three finish and wanting to cash out on UFAs, I don't think it was stupid.

It is just a shame that we had ok veterans and got rid of them to bring in other veterans that are worse.

Problem wasn't trading DeMelo, Namestnikov, Ennis, etc.. for assets, it's that the picks they got back were then used to foolishly acquire even worse veteran players.

Making room for better players and getting picks in the process was smart, but Dorion's acquisitions of Stepan, Gudbranson, Watson, Brown, Galchenyuk, Paquette and Coburn have for the most part backfired and made the team far worse.

Our pro scouting is unquestionably the worst in the league and has been so for the past decade. Was god awful under Murray too.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's funny, during the offseason, the acquisition of these vets was often justified with we have to insolate the kids or we'll become the Edm Oilers.

Well, we are currently on pace for the worst season in the history of the franchise, and in contention for ousting the capitals for worst season in the history of the league.

I think well turn things around to some degree and not achieve that dubious distinction, and the uniqueness of the all canadian division with no games outside the division certainly puts an asterisk on the season, but the reality is we aren't sheltering anyone.

The team absolutely misjudged what the vets would bring and we are seeing the results.
Did they misjudge it? Or did they try to buy low and prayed for a miracle? In terms of trade value, they paid almost nothing to acquire J. Brown, Gudbranson, Coburn and Paquette. Where is the sense that they overestimated what they got? Who looks at a trade where you get paid a second round pick to take on two depth players and thinks "hmmmm, I think those guys are going to be great for us"?

If Gudbranson, J. Brown, Coburn and Paquette were valuable pieces they would have cost more to acquire. End of story. I don't give a shit what the media sell job was. Part of Dorion's job, whether people like it or not, is to sell this fanbase excitement. It's no different than McDonalds commercials that make their food sound like it's the best thing ever and not an over-preserved, artificial trash heap of pureed cow feet and mutant potatoes.

Even still, guys like J. Brown might have latent value to help us with exposure requirements in the upcoming expansion draft.

All this wailing about depth players is so bizarre. All four of these guys will be a fleeting memory, like many marginally talented players before them.

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the fact that Tkachuk and Chabot have played very poorly this year and that any regression from them will set back this rebuild. That's something worth fretting over. Not #6 defensemen who cost nothing to acquire.

Reactions: swiftwin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Problem wasn't trading DeMelo, Namestnikov, Ennis, etc.. for assets, it's that the picks they got back were then used to foolishly acquire even worse veteran players.

Making room for better players and getting picks in the process was smart, but Dorion's acquisitions of Stepan, Gudbranson, Watson, Brown, Galchenyuk, Paquette and Coburn have for the most part backfired and made the team far worse.

Our pro scouting is unquestionably the worst in the league and has been so for the past decade. Was god awful under Murray too.

Do you think it backfired now that Coburn, Galchenyuk and Paquette are gone? Brown pushed out. Who pushed them out? And as they have been pushed out, who has taken their spots? Isn't that what this was supposed to happen?

Let's say Ottawa got better veterans. How in the hell would they get rid of them? Could the young guys push them out easier? I don't disagree that they are "worse" veterans, but as warm bodies until the next wave push them out, isn't that what is best? We have 3 left, and chances are only two will remain for the foreseeable future, and quite possibly maybe just one by the trade deadline. Isn't that what, ultimately, this team should strive for?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
agree, Chara being a prime example of player who came into Ottawa and hard to believe, had a hard time getting through a game without falling over. Ottawa insulated him, let him grow, surrounded him with great people and raised expectations and he became Chara here - and the fans were like ‘Yep, that’s my Ottawa Senators’

Revisionist history. He was great from his very first game with the Senators.

Reactions: cudi

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

Seriously.

All it does is reinforce the notion that Dorion is a poor evaluator and lousy at assembling teams.

They expected this team to be competitive and it struggles to keep up. Many of the players that Dorion acquired flopped. All in all, there's no lack of effort but a team that just isn't good enough to win consistently.

I don't know if they slipped in messaging and should have said "improved" but if they looked at this roster and said competitive then it's a major fail.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Dorion’s message? The garbage players I traded for and signed are garbage. Take that.
Moron.

#fireDorion

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Dorion’s message? The garbage players I traded for and signed are garbage. Take that.
Moron.

#fireDorion

The third and fourth line guys that are here until the end of the year when rookies take their place?
I don’t think he brought in anyone that was expected to go out and win games

That horrific goalie contract may cost him his job everything thing else is just about where it should be

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Every loss brings us one day closer to the end of Dorion's tenure as GM.

If he isn't canned at the end of this season then Melnyck will lose whatever microscopically thin shred of credibility he might have left.

Not that I disagree at all, but that is not something I'd want to hang my hat on.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Two things:

1. when we traded EK everyone said you won’t ever equal value (and equal value to Sens fan would be not even a #1 overall pick, it had to be a #1 overall pick in a good year. We got Stutzle. He looks like he could be the best player in the draft and is a generational talent.

2. Dorion might of gotten the best Forward and Defencman in the draft. Certainly the evaluation to this point would show that - Stuz is the best player from the draft in the NHL and Sanderson WKC gold and tournament play showed he’s better then Drysdale. Might even be the two best players in the draft.

Dorion seemed particularly upbeat after we had #3 and #5 picks on lottery day - he must of known of the Stuz and Sanderson magic. He kept saying over and over again ‘anything can happen with the picks ahead of us” but secretly hoping Stuz and Sanderson fall to him. And they did. Like Tkachuk did. He deserves credits for the picks, franchise changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad