Management GM Pierre Dorion BEST moves #3

Which move was the 3rd best? #3

• Cody Ceci (26 y/o) + 2020 3rd (#83 OA) for Connor Brown (26 y/o) + Nikita Zaitsev (28 y/o)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marián Gáborík + Anders Nilsson (LTIRs) for Braydon Coburn + Cédric Paquette + 2022 2nd (TBL)

• Evgeni Dadonov (32 y/o) for Nick Holden (34 y/o) + 2022 3rd (VAN)

• Matt Duchene (28 y/o) for 2019 1st (#19 OA Lassi Thomson) + Vitaly Abramov + Jonathan Davidsson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) BEST moves

#1 - Erik Karlsson (28 y/o) for 1st round pick (#3 OA Tim Stützle) + Josh Norris + Rudolfs Balcers + Chris Tierney + Dylan DeMelo + 2nd round pick (#37 OA Mads Sogaard*) + 2nd round pick (#39 OA Zack Ostapchuk)
#2- Drake Batherson (23 y/o) extension (6 years x 4.975)
#3-

* Ottawa traded up using the Panthers 2nd round pick and the Penguins 3rd round pick (swapped with Ottawa's 3rd in the Brassard trade)

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

Some moves to add later

- Victor Mete (22 y/o) claimed on waivers
- Zack Smith (31 y/o) for Artem Anisimov (31 y/o)
- 5th for Mike Reilly then traded for a 3rd
- 4th for Austin Watson
- Brady Tkachuk extension (7 years x 8.2)
- Artem Zub extension (2 years x 2.5)

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It was a toss up between Brassard and Dzingel for me, mainly because at the time I had no clue how he was able to re-coup a 1st round pick, a top goalie prospect and a 3rd round pick for Brassard who I felt was declining as a player and did not have much value.

With that said, I voted for the Dzingel trade because seeing Duclair today makes that trade an absolute steal especially with TWO 2nd round picks and not just one. Amazing trade, I just wish we had kept Duclair he would have been a perfect fit on our 2nd line right now.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It was a toss up between Brassard and Dzingel for me, mainly because at the time I had no clue how he was able to re-coup a 1st round pick, a top goalie prospect and a 3rd round pick for Brassard who I felt was declining as a player and did not have much value.

With that said, I voted for the Dzingel trade because seeing Duclair today makes that trade an absolute steal especially with TWO 2nd round picks and not just one. Amazing trade, I just wish we had kept Duclair he would have been a perfect fit on our 2nd line right now.

Yeah absolute steal return that already got spent though... All we have left is an overpaid goalie. The other 2nd round pick was used to trade for Derek Stepan :help:

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yeah absolute steal return that already got spent though... All we have left is an overpaid goalie (we used the other 2nd to trade up and draft Kleven)

Hey now, this is the positive thread, take that kind of talk elsewhere.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Jury’s still out on Gus and JBD, but if Gus becomes a legit #1 and JBD is a top 4 dman, that’s excellent value for Brassard and takes away some of the sting from the Zib trade.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Brassard trade is tainted for me because we could have gotten more if we just kept Zibanejad and traded him for futures.

Chabot signing to me is looking like less of a steal as every season goes by. Still love it, but less and less with time.

Finding Zub in Russia and signing him for anything let alone what we signed him for, both times he signed, to me is without a doubt # 3 and #4 on this list, and it's not even close.

ZUB!!!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
When you look at the worst moves compared to the best moves its pretty easy to see why this rebuild isnt where you would hope it would be.

I was going to say the opposite. It really shows how the best moves are better than the worst moves.

Not to mention the fact that the top 2 worst moves happened before the rebuild started.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was going to say the opposite. It really shows how the best moves are better than the worst moves.

Not to mention the fact that the top 2 worst moves happened before the rebuild started.
Can't be serious.... I mean why do you think the rebuild was necessary.... See bolded. The Zibanejad, Stone and Duchene moves are easily fireable on their own.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The best move very easily in hindsight was the karlsson trade.

He got back 3rd overal, young top 6 center a good young top 9 winger and a good decently aged top 4 RD……and then he went and just got rid of two of these assets but nonetheless.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

The thing is... it's actually hard to make very bad moves when you're rebuilding... The team has been "normal" only 1 year out of 6 and it was basically the lineup he inherited minus Zibanejad, Dahlen and Chiasson, etc

Listen Dorion is capable of making good moves, but the problem here is that his "batting average" might be one of the worst in the league despite a very EASY setting : rebuilding.

If we eventually get out of our misery, it will most likely just be on our drafting prowess (of course Dorion is involved). That being, he will have done well on a few sales here (Karlsson, Brassard, Pageau, Dzingel). However, not even sure we can still count Dzingel as Duclair is gone, a 2nd was used to get Murray (ends up very overpaid) and the other 2nd was used to trade up and get Kleven

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Should have kept stone. That’s it. That’s all. That’s the big big f*** up here.

Our top 6 would look great with Stone in it. Thing is, how do we know Stone wanted to stay? He’s a competitive player who wants to win a Cup. Despite what was said in the media, I have my doubts.

But yeah, imagine if Stutzle had Stone on his RW. Would be ****ing amazing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Our top 6 would look great with Stone in it. Thing is, how do we know Stone wanted to stay? He’s a competitive player who wants to win a Cup. Despite what was said in the media, I have my doubts.

But yeah, imagine if Stutzle had Stone on his RW. Would be ****ing amazing

IMO

Tkachuk - Norris - Stone
Stutzle - Pinto - Batherson
Paul - White - Brown
Formenton - ??? - Watson
Crookshank

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I feel like Dorion deserves a Happy Meal for all his hard work. Y'know, the arsenic napalm-laden version?
Edit: because he deserves to get fired, not poisoned.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Why isn't "Hallway High-Five" in this list of options? Clearly, it's his signature move. What he lacks in the ability to sign non-terrible UFAs and vets, he makes up for in the post-signing hallway fivers. :5:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The thing is... it's actually hard to make very bad moves when you're rebuilding... The team has been "normal" only 1 year out of 6 and it was basically the lineup he inherited minus Zibanejad, Dahlen and Chiasson, etc

Listen Dorion is capable of making good moves, but the problem here is that his "batting average" might be one of the worst in the league despite a very EASY setting : rebuilding.

If we eventually get out of our misery, it will most likely just be on our drafting prowess (of course Dorion is involved). That being, he will have done well on a few sales here (Karlsson, Brassard, Pageau, Dzingel). However, not even sure we can still count Dzingel as Duclair is gone, a 2nd was used to get Murray (ends up very overpaid) and the other 2nd was used to trade up and get Kleven
There is no easier time for a GM to operate (from a hockey ops perspective, maybe not pr) and he had some prime assets to sell unlike a lot of rebuilds. Results don't matter, you're allowed holes in your lineup regardless of consequence, and you have a license to move anyone for whatever you choose from what you can bargain for.

It was somewhat unprecedented to have such a solid group to sell off at once like he did, I'm open to being wrong but the only comparable I can think of is Pittsburgh selling all of Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Lang, etc. way back in the day and my memory is a little fuzzy on that timeline.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We let go of Balcers and demelo and the next day we were like “where are we ever gonna find a good bottom 6 winger and solid RD????”

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad