NHL 20 GM Mode Logs & Conversation

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
2020-2021 Season Full sim , all-star difficulty high sim engine scoring , playing all games

Attachments

• 8A1E3DE9-D92C-457C-8CD8-C1E0DE485C41.jpeg
    8A1E3DE9-D92C-457C-8CD8-C1E0DE485C41.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 44

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So fun scouting problem I'm having: I'll assign a scout (let's say my Russian one) to specific players. Then I'll go to set my SHL/Liiga scout, and they'll have all the players I assigned my Russian scout to assigned to them as well. Same thing happens across the European leagues (e.g., I send 1 guy to Extraglia and 1 to NLA, and the scouting assignments will show up for both), across the US leagues, and across the CHL. It makes the trips take so damn long that by the time I've finished the season, I've only thoroughly scouted maybe 1/4 of the draft class.

Anyone else experiencing this glitch with scouting?

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Any one is rebuilding the Sens ?

I'll buy the game on Black Friday or Boxing day and i'm planning to rebuild them, I feel like it's one of the best challenges we've had in recent memories.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I just had my first line center complain about his icetime. He is on the first line for pretty much everything except PK (he is still on the second unit) and averaging 20+ mins a night.
What the f*** EA?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
This happened in the past too - you can track it in the player growth section.

Natural growth is good. Statistical growth is always temporary, though I've seen temporary last several seasons.

I actually did not know that the progress reports screen differentiated from statistical and natural growth like that. (I never use it)
Thanks for the heads up

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Any one is rebuilding the Sens ?

I'll buy the game on Black Friday or Boxing day and i'm planning to rebuild them, I feel like it's one of the best challenges we've had in recent memories.

I'm doing the Red Wings - a much more interesting challenge than Ottawa, because Detroit's prospect pool is comparably empty. No Brannstrom, Brown, White, Chabot, etc.

Just Zadina & Veleno. Seider is a serviceable NHLer but just hasn't developed beyond bottom pairing guy

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I'm doing the Red Wings - a much more interesting challenge than Ottawa, because Detroit's prospect pool is comparably empty. No Brannstrom, Brown, White, Chabot, etc.

Just Zadina & Veleno. Seider is a serviceable NHLer but just hasn't developed beyond bottom pairing guy

I'll probably do the wings as well but I already rebuild them in NHL 19 so I'll try the sens first but you are right even thought I think it's a lot closer than what we think, Larkin and Mantha are 2 really interesting pieces. In Year 2 your top 6 could look like this :
Centers -
Larkin - Veleno / Rasmussen
Wingers -
Mantha, Zadina, Bertuzzi and Laffy or Raymond.

Meanwhile Ottawa as only Tkachuk maybe White and Brown.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'll probably do the wings as well but I already rebuild them in NHL 19 so I'll try the sens first but you are right even thought I think it's a lot closer than what we think, Larkin and Mantha are 2 really interesting pieces. In Year 2 your top 6 could look like this :
Centers -
Larkin - Veleno / Rasmussen
Wingers -
Mantha, Zadina, Bertuzzi and Laffy or Raymond.

Meanwhile Ottawa as only Tkachuk maybe White and Brown.

In my Detroit save, I've only been able to get Veleno to develop.

Bertuzzi got up to an 82 overall, but then wanted $5 million so I told him to take a hike.

Hirose isn't bad. Cholowski too. But Hronek & Rasmussen both topped out at 79-80 overall, which wasn't good enough for a regular roster spot.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Interesting, the wings defense is pretty bad so it's has to be a priority.
The thing that sucks with the wings is that you have T.Daley, M.Green, J.Abdelkader, D.Helm, and a couple of other players that can't play anymore but they have large and long contract. It's a good challenge but it sucks as well lol.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Interesting, the wings defense is pretty bad so it's has to be a priority.
The thing that sucks with the wings is that you have T.Daley, M.Green, J.Abdelkader, D.Helm, and a couple of other players that can't play anymore but they have large and long contract. It's a good challenge but it sucks as well lol.

That's actually one of the main reasons why I picked them:

Abdelkader, Filppula, Helm, Nielson, Daley. Howard too - loads of dollars tied up in underperforming players.

It's an incredibly fun challenge - especially if you are realistic about it and don't just move out those contracts for 7th round picks.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I actually did not know that the progress reports screen differentiated from statistical and natural growth like that. (I never use it)
Thanks for the heads up

Yep, no worries - it also shows Morale Growth too; something that is much more important to keep an eye on this year with the new morale system. It's worth looking into it regularly, especially for prospects, as it becomes difficult to know whether a young player's development has stagnated because they aren't progressing, or because they are unhappy.

For example in Detroit, I traded for Urho Vaakanainen, and he flatlined at 79 overall for almost an entire year, yet still had great trade value - when I looked deeper, he was still growing but was badly pulled down by negative morale growth (lack of ice time, and missing the playoffs). The next year I played him a lot early in the year, offset the morale, and he jumped back to an 82.

Reactions: Deku

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
That's actually one of the main reasons why I picked them:

Abdelkader, Filppula, Helm, Nielson, Daley. Howard too - loads of dollars tied up in underperforming players.

It's an incredibly fun challenge - especially if you are realistic about it and don't just move out those contracts for 7th round picks.

Yep obviously, I like how a lot of people aren't satisfy with the game because something isn't realistic but a the same time they trade for players that obviously would never get traded lol.

Will we are at it, here is a list of challenges I had for the NHL20, any of you had other ideas ?

- Rebuilding the Sens being as realistic as possible (AKA Trading away B.Ryan for picks to get rid away isn't realistic, Signing big UFA isn't realistic,etc.).
- Rebuilding the Wings nothing specific but keeping their culture of giving their young guys a lot of time in the AHL is smart imo.
- Building the Jackets, it's an easier challenge you already have a lot of interesting pieces, now go win a cup with them.
- Bring Back the Nordiques two way to do it ;
(1) : Normal Expansion Draft (You can do the same thing with Seattle)
(2) : Build the Nordiques with French-Canadians players ONLY and win a cup before the Habs. (I did a similar challenge last year, added a team from Sweden and I was trying to win the cup with players from sweden only).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yep obviously, I like how a lot of people aren't satisfy with the game because something isn't realistic but a the same time they trade for players that obviously would never get traded lol.

Will we are at it, here is a list of challenges I had for the NHL20, any of you had other ideas ?

- Rebuilding the Sens being as realistic as possible (AKA Trading away B.Ryan for picks to get rid away isn't realistic, Signing big UFA isn't realistic,etc.).
- Rebuilding the Wings nothing specific but keeping their culture of giving their young guys a lot of time in the AHL is smart imo.
- Building the Jackets, it's an easier challenge you already have a lot of interesting pieces, now go win a cup with them.
- Bring Back the Nordiques two way to do it ;
(1) : Normal Expansion Draft (You can do the same thing with Seattle)
(2) : Build the Nordiques with French-Canadians players ONLY and win a cup before the Habs. (I did a similar challenge last year, added a team from Sweden and I was trying to win the cup with players from sweden only).

Yep.

There's so many ways / things I do to make my GM modes far more realistic. In Detroit for example:

1. Don't trade away any of the dead weight contracts, unless you are getting a bad contract back in return, or packaging it with something of value (like the Marleau-Carolina trade).
  2. Realistically, no one is touching any of those bad contracts unless they are the final year of the deal, and even then, only with salary retention.
  3. Only trade for red colored players / assets, unless it's an overpayment.
  4. Top tier free agents aren't coming to Detroit anytime soon, so ignore them in free agency until Team Status changes from Rebuilder to Hopeful.
  5. Don't Save Scum the Entry Draft.
  6. No one ever trades up for a top 5 draft pick, unless it's at a stupidly high price.
etc.

SO many ways to keep Franchise Mode interesting and engaging.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
No one ever trades up for a top 5 draft pick, unless it's at a stupidly high price.

Exactly lol. This is the most important part of all of the rebuilding if you don't get a top 3 pick it sucks but there a lot of other interesting players out of Raymond,Byfield and Laffy this year (I have to agree that it sucks to not get one of them but shit happens lol).

Reactions: Tak7

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Has anyone noticed defensemen never get points on the powerplay? Even if they are the best of the best

For example I just started a Sharks season, and Karlsson has 46 points in 56 games. 4 of them are on the powerplay. Burns has 42 points in 62 games. 5 of them on the powerplay. I started with them both on the first unit, but split them up when it wasn't working. This is on standard sim scoring, btw.

It's weird, because even in seasons when my powerplay is really good, the defenders still barely get any production from it. I feel like it's just a general problem in the sim, because if you sort by PPP among all D in the league, it's pretty bad for almost everyone. I wonder if there is a way to improve it though. Karlsson and Burns not even hitting double digits for PPP's is ridiculous

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Has anyone noticed defensemen never get points on the powerplay? Even if they are the best of the best

For example I just started a Sharks season, and Karlsson has 46 points in 56 games. 4 of them are on the powerplay. Burns has 42 points in 62 games. 5 of them on the powerplay. I started with them both on the first unit, but split them up when it wasn't working. This is on standard sim scoring, btw.

It's weird, because even in seasons when my powerplay is really good, the defenders still barely get any production from it. I feel like it's just a general problem in the sim, because if you sort by PPP among all D in the league, it's pretty bad for almost everyone. I wonder if there is a way to improve it though. Karlsson and Burns not even hitting double digits for PPP's is ridiculous

At the start of a new season I always run best lines before I tweak them, and sometimes I notice they'll put 5 forwards on the 1st PP unit, which I get if I had 5 elite forwards, but sometimes they put 3rd line TWFs on the 1st unit as well.

It sort of feels like the game's way of telling me Dmen arent important on the powerplay. Weird.

Reactions: Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
At the start of a new season I always run best lines before I tweak them, and sometimes I notice they'll put 5 forwards on the 1st PP unit, which I get if I had 5 elite forwards, but sometimes they put 3rd line TWFs on the 1st unit as well.

It sort of feels like the game's way of telling me Dmen arent important on the powerplay. Weird.

I've noticed that as well, I'd feel goofy doing it lol

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I just noticed that I had Martin Jones win the Vezina with a .906%, 2.60 GAA, and a 35-20-6 record

I looked through a bunch of the top goalies and most of their stats were underwhelming, but not sure how Matt Murray's .910%, 2.66 GAA, and 40 wins didn't get the vote. Maybe it really cares about GAA, since a bunch of guys had better save % than Jones, but worse GAA

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
In this same Sharks GM mode I managed to break the NHL record for powerplay percentage, finishing at 33% (the record is 31.88%). This was simming all games.
We had 89 powerplay goals, so, more than 1 per game on average

I guess that's what happens when you get two units with +5 chemistry.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
In this same Sharks GM mode I managed to break the NHL record for powerplay percentage, finishing at 33% (the record is 31.88%). This was simming all games.
We had 89 powerplay goals, so, more than 1 per game on average

I guess that's what happens when you get two units with +5 chemistry.

The real suprise is that the Sharks are still good (in game)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->