NHL 20 GM Mode Logs & Conversation

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
:wings

Halfway into the season, the Detroit Red Wings are still the best team in the NHL with a record of 28-11-2, good for 58 points. After a flurry of activity early in the year, the roster has stabilized for the Red Wings, save for a trade that sent struggling goaltender Thomas Greiss and a 7th round pick to Chicago in exchange for left winger Zack Smith. The Wings seem to have found some stability in net in the unlikely tandem of Kevin Boyle and Scott Wedgewood.

STATS

Centers:
Luke Glendening - 41 GP, 16-23-39
Dylan Larkin - 41 GP, 21-17-38
Rodrigo Abols - 32 GP, 7-13-20
Danick Martel - 13 GP, 4-0-4

Left Wingers:
Robby Fabbri - 41 GP, 19-27-46
Tyler Bertuzzi - 41 GP, 12-24-36
Zack Smith - 42 GP, 6-8-14
Filip Zadina - 41 GP, 3-6-9
Darren Helm - 6 GP, 0-0-0

Right Wingers:
Bobby Ryan - 41 GP, 20-21-41
Anthony Mantha - 41 GP, 20-15-35
Ryan Hartman - 33 GP, 15-9-24
Matt Luff - 24 GP, 4-8-12
Nathan Bastian - 25 GP, 4-2-6

Defensemen:
Troy Stecher - 41 GP, 9-22-31
Filip Hronek - 41 GP, 7-22-29
Jon Merrill - 39 GP, 2-22-24
Danny DeKeyser - 40 GP, 6-17-23
Cody Ceci - 41 GP, 5-14-19
Patrik Nemeth - 41 GP, 1-6-7
Brian Lashoff - 2 GP, 0-2-2

Goalies:
Kevin Boyle - 8 GP, 5-3-0, 1 SO, .891, 2.51
Scott Wedgewood - 4 GP, 4-0-0, 1 SO, .921, 1.75

LINES
Robby Fabbri (81) - Luke Glendening "A" (79) - Bobby Ryan (82)
Tyler Bertuzzi "A" (84) - Dylan Larkin "C" (87) - Anthony Mantha (84)
Zack Smith (79) - Rodrigo Abols (72) - Ryan Hartman (79)
Filip Zadina (81) - Danick Martel (76) - Matt Luff (77)

Jon Merrill (80) - Troy Stecher (81)
Danny DeKeyser (79) - Filip Hronek (82)
Patrik Nemeth (80) - Cody Ceci (79)

Kevin Boyle (78)
Scott Wedgewood (76)​

Reactions: wings95

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
What is the most effective way to scout?

Haven't played 21 much at all but I don't imagine scouting has changed *that* much. It's tedious as hell but I always manually scout, focusing on skills assessment and particularly potential. Beyond that, it's mostly common sense (such as making sure I scout top prospects)... it's near impossible to scout everyone fully, so for the mid to late rounds I tend to ignore low upside prospects (even if they're only scouted to one or two bars) and circle back to re-scout anyone my scouts think have may higher upside (elite/top 6/top 4) a couple months in. Lots will turn out to be not as good as the initial reports, but you may find a hidden gem or three.

Some people like to can all their pro scouts and load up on amateur scouts. I'd only add that the CHL seems to be less important as you get a couple seasons in, so at that point, it may be worth loading up on Swedish/Finnish/Russian scouts in particular.

One last point ~ a couple years in, lots of good scouts will start becoming available July 1st (iirc). It's worth keeping an eye on.

Hope all this helps... :)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What is the most effective way to scout?

Send your scouts out on the first day of pre-season. Scout as many players as you can up until the first week of February - Potential & Comparison.

Then in February, go through all the players again and either re-scout the ones you want more eyes on (Elite/Top 6/Top 4 that aren't 100% accurate), or new prospects not yet scouted, until the second week of May.

Once you get to May, you do the same thing up until June 22 (the day before the draft). This method ensures you fully reveal most Elite / Top 6 / Top 4 in the draft, and leaves you with plenty of late round gems

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
is that new in 21? I still just play 20 and while chemistry is important there, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal breaker for performance.
I would say since chemistry was introduced, your team can win the cup every single year easily if you max out line chemistry to +3 or +5 everywhere with Pinch+Shoot coaches. For some reason the sim engine messes with teams in the playoffs that don't have maxed chemistry.

I've been trying to find a way to make a team so broken with +5 chemistry everywhere that it can possibly go undefeated. The closest I've ever gotten is 73-5-4 and the team went 16-2 in the playoffs simulating every game.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I would say since chemistry was introduced, your team can win the cup every single year easily if you max out line chemistry to +3 or +5 everywhere with Pinch+Shoot coaches. For some reason the sim engine messes with teams in the playoffs that don't have maxed chemistry.

I've been trying to find a way to make a team so broken with +5 chemistry everywhere that it can possibly go undefeated. The closest I've ever gotten is 73-5-4 and the team went 16-2 in the playoffs simulating every game.
I rarely have more than 1 line with +3 or better in nhl20, but with good drafting get so deep that I dominate regular season and most of playoffs

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Man I remember when GM was decent and this thread was packed. The Franchise now is just unplayable.

I stopped posting because I no longer have an Xbox One (it died on me), and my GM mode for NHL 16 has way too dominant of a team (3 FW 90+, 2 FW who will be 90+ this offseason, 4 D who are 90+, 1 D who will be 90+ this offseason, 1 G who is 90+, and my backup will be 90+ in a year or two). And I've won the Cup in 9 straight years, so...

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

NHL 21 Expansion Team Franchise Mode: San Francisco Admirals

Introduction

June 18, 2020 --- After a months-long (perhaps even years-long) process to expand the NHL to 32 teams, the time has finally come. The NHL looked at several cities, including Seattle, Houston, Quebec City, Atlanta, Kansas City, Portland, and Hartford, among others. But ultimately, none of the above were chosen. Instead, a late bid from Golden State Warriors owner Peter Guber as well as support from city and state officials landed San Francisco the NHL's newest franchise.

Hockey is not new to the Bay Area. The California Golden Seals played in the NHL from 1967-1976, and the Sharks play just over an hour south in San Jose. San Francisco is the 17th largest city in America and were the 8th largest without an NHL team. Another lure was the new arena: the Chase Center is not even a year old, and city officials worked out a favorable deal with the league.

Peter Guber didn't waste much time, naming two-time Stanley Cup Champion Dean Lombardi, who is plenty familiar with California and the Bay Area, having worked for the Los Angeles Kings for 10 years and the San Jose Sharks for 12 years prior to that. Lombardi won the cup as Kings GM in 2012 and 2014.

Lombardi did however take his time assembling his staff. Two months out from the expansion draft and Lombardi was still the only person on the payroll. But soon after, he hired Derek Clancey away from the Pittsburgh Penguins to be his Assistant GM. Clancey got his start in Pittsburgh in 2007 as a Pro Scout, and was then promoted to Director of Professional Scouting (a role he served in from 2010 to 2018), before being promoted again to Director of Player Personnel in 2019.

Lombardi and Clancey have filled out their scouting staff (though the coaching staff remains empty) in advance of the expansion draft, which is now just a few days away.

The team name comes from San Francisco's geography of course (being located adjacent to a large bay and right next to the Pacific Ocean), as well as the city's history. Fort Mason was once known as the San Francisco Port of Embarkation where many U.S. soldiers were shipped out on boats to fight in the Pacific Theater during World War II. San Francisco also has significant Naval history. Hunter Point Naval Shipyard was in operation for over 30 years starting in the 1940s, and Naval Station Treasure Island was in use for over 50 years until the late 1990s.

The team colors are a unique blend, but the individual colors are similar to other NHL teams. The main "gold" color is quite similar to that of the Nashville Predators. The "gold" is of major significance because, of course, the California gold rush and California's moniker "the Golden State", but also because San Francisco is known as "the Golden City", and of course is the location of the famous Golden Gate Bridge. And the secondary "blue" color is nearly the exact same as that of their neighbors to the south: the San Jose Sharks. This is to represent the ocean, as well as the bright blue sky that so often hangs over San Francisco due to its weather patterns.

Below is the team's official color set, as well as their primary, secondary, and tertiary logo. The primary logo is of a naval ship, the secondary logo is a naval flag with a hockey stick as the flag pole, and the tertiary logo is a spinoff of the Florida Panthers' former alternate logo, with a palm tree and hockey stick crossing in front of a sun:
erL4oT5.jpg

Below are the team's jerseys. The home jersey is almost entirely gold, as it's designed to be eye-catching and stand out, and to emphasize the Golden State, Golden City, and Golden Gate Bridge concepts. For years the Nashville Predators have had one of the most unique jerseys in the NHL (only one or two other teams have worn yellow jerseys in this era), but now they will have some competition. Perhaps the most unique aspect of the away uniforms are the teal helmet and pants, which even the San Jose Sharks do not wear. The alternate jerseys are mostly teal, and are a close throwback to the jersey color scheme worn by the California Golden Seals from 1974-1976.
LBYR8jd.jpg

Oo6VWVw.jpg

dhs0SBM.jpg

The team's AHL affiliate will be the Oakland Bandits, who will play in Oakland Arena, just a short 30 minute drive to the Chase Center in San Francisco.
9UN9Afz.jpg

-----

Note:
I'll likely keep making posts here as well, but I will definitely be updating the Google Sheet (some slight changes to the Reddit template from r/Theoriginalalex), so if you want to follow along there, I'll add that into this post.

Next Update:
Expansion Draft

Previous Updates:
N/A

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

The Expansion Draft

June 21, 2020 --- The day has finally arrived. The San Francisco Admirals are just minutes away from selecting the players that will serve as the foundation of their franchise. General Manager Dean Lombardi gave a short speech to the press prior to the draft:

"We've been working real hard behind the scenes looking at every possibility. We've talked things over with Pete [the team's owner], and we've decided we're going to try to be competitive right out of the gate. We want to grab the city's attention and bring in new fans, and so we want a team that can win. That doesn't necessarily mean a team full of old vets. We want some exiting, dynamic young players on the ice as well. And it can be done, if you look at Vegas, and we're playing by the same rules that they had. We're confident in our management and scouting group and we're confident that we're going to be able to put together a real good hockey team."

Expansion Draft Results

OPP0hUB.jpg

(I had a nice breakdown of all the 80+ players that were exposed on each team, but I guess I took too long because my laptop went to sleep and the HFB post disappeared by the time I woke it up).

Some big names left on the board include: Henrique (ANA), Stepan (ARZ), Krejci (BOS), Backlund (CAL), Saad (COL), Atkinson (CBJ), Khudobin (DAL), Barrie (EDM), Quick (LAK), Johansson (MIN), Talbot (MIN), Saros (NSH), Murray (NJD), Palmieri (NJD), Lee (NYI), Van Riemsdyk (PHI), Jarry (PIT), Jones (SJS), Perron (STL), Schwartz (STL), Palat (TBL), Brodie (TOR), Hyman (TOR), Pearson (VAN), Lundqvist (WSH), and Stastney (WIN), among others.

Depth Charts

LW (Age, Overall)(2nd Pos.)C (Age, Overall)(2nd Pos.)RW (Age, Overall)(2nd Pos.)
Gabriel Landeskog (27, 87)Eric Staal (35, 85)Gustav Nyquist (30, 84)(LW)
Tomas Tatar (29, 85)(RW)Ryan Strome (26, 84)(RW)Jordan Eberle (30, 84)
Jakub Vrana (24, 84)(RW)Calle Jarnkrok (28, 82)(RW)Connor Brown (26, 82)
Jake DeBrusk (23, 83)(RW)Jack Roslovic (23, 81)(RW)Denis Gurianov (23, 82)(LW)
Alex Iafallo (26, 81)(C)Blake Coleman (28, 81)(LW)Andrew Shaw (28, 81)(C)
Ryan Donato (24, 80)(LW)
Teddy Blueger (25, 80)(LW)
Frank Vatrano (26, 80)(LW)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LD (Age, Overall)RD (Age, Overall)
Erik Gustafsson (28, 84)Colton Parayko (27, 85)
Jonas Brodin (26, 83)Dougie Hamilton (27, 85)
Travis Dermott (23, 82)Josh Manson (28, 84)
Oliver Kylington (23, 79)Ethan Bear (23, 82)
Troy Stecher (26, 81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G (Age, Overall)
Antti Raanta (31, 85)
Mackenzie Blackwood (23, 83)
Thatcher Demko (24, 81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GM Dean Lombardi had this to say after the draft:

"I'm very happy with how things turned out, yes. We got some great players, some great pieces to build around, and we're definitely going to look at some trades as well, both dealing players we drafted and also trying to acquire some players as well. But I like the way things turned out for us. I think we got a good mix of strong talent that will help us compete now and youth who will keep us competitive in the years to come. The foundation is strong and now we need to build on top of that."

-----

Note:
I'll likely keep making posts here as well, but I will definitely be updating the Google Sheet (some slight changes to the Reddit template from r/Theoriginalalex), so if you want to follow along there, I'll add that into this post.

Next Update:
2020 NHL Entry Draft

Previous Updates:
Introduction

Last edited:
Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
rECDRa0.jpg

The Expansion Draft

June 21, 2020 --- The day has finally arrived. The San Francisco Admirals are just minutes away from selecting the players that will serve as the foundation of their franchise. General Manager Dean Lombardi gave a short speech to the press prior to the draft:

"We've been working real hard behind the scenes looking at every possibility. We've talked things over with Pete [the team's owner], and we've decided we're going to try to be competitive right out of the gate. We want to grab the city's attention and bring in new fans, and so we want a team that can win. That doesn't necessarily mean a team full of old vets. We want some exiting, dynamic young players on the ice as well. And it can be done, if you look at Vegas, and we're playing by the same rules that they had. We're confident in our management and scouting group and we're confident that we're going to be able to put together a real good hockey team."

Expansion Draft Results

OPP0hUB.jpg

(I had a nice breakdown of all the 80+ players that were exposed on each team, but I guess I took too long because my laptop went to sleep and the HFB post disappeared by the time I woke it up).

Some big names left on the board include: Henrique (ANA), Stepan (ARZ), Krejci (BOS), Backlund (CAL), Saad (COL), Atkinson (CBJ), Khudobin (DAL), Barrie (EDM), Quick (LAK), Johansson (MIN), Talbot (MIN), Saros (NSH), Murray (NJD), Palmieri (NJD), Lee (NYI), Van Riemsdyk (PHI), Jarry (PIT), Jones (SJS), Perron (STL), Schwartz (STL), Palat (TBL), Brodie (TOR), Hyman (TOR), Pearson (VAN), Lundqvist (WSH), and Stastney (WIN), among others.

GM Dean Lombardi had this to say after the draft:

"I'm very happy with how things turned out, yes. We got some great players, some great pieces to build around, and we're definitely going to look at some trades as well, both dealing players we drafted and also trying to acquire some players as well. But I like the way things turned out for us. I think we got a good mix of strong talent that will help us compete now and youth who will keep us competitive in the years to come. The foundation is strong and now we need to build on top of that."

-----

Note:

Next Update:
2020 NHL Entry Draft

Previous Updates:
Introduction

Wtf at a lot of those names left exposed haha.... keep em coming! :)

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Wtf at a lot of those names left exposed haha.... keep em coming! :)

Haha yeah I was surprised at some of the names available. It was pretty difficult to pick from a lot of teams (some because there were several really good players available, and others because there was almost nobody worth taking). And there were a lot of good players left on the board, but I had to take cap space into account. Especially because some of the players I really wanted (Landeskog, Demko, Hamilton, etc. are all pending FAs that are due for raises). I've got about 10-12 players on my "trade-away" list for the draft right now, so I have my work cut out for me for sure

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

2020 NHL Entry Draft

June 23, 2020 --- The San Francisco Admirals are expected to be the most active team on the trade front today as we head into the NHL Entry Draft. General Manager Dean Lombardi has said his team plans on making "several" trades today as they look to shape their team after the expansion draft.

San Francisco Admirals Draft Day Trades

San Francisco Admirals TRADE::rangers TRADE:
D J. MansonD A. Fox
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::bruins TRADE:
C E. Staal (UFA Rights)2020 7th round pick (BOS)(220)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::stars TRADE:
LW T. Tatar (UFA Rights)2020 6th round pick (DAL)(191)
C B. Coleman (UFA Rights)2021 7th round pick (DAL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::sabres TRADE:
G A. Raanta (UFA Rights)2020 7th round pick (DAL)(223)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::rangers TRADE:
RW G. NyquistC Mika Zibanejad
C F. Vatrano
D T. Dermott (RFA Rights)
C T. Blueger (RFA Rights)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::pens TRADE:
RW J. EberleRW J. Guentzel
RW A. Shaw
D E. Bear (RFA Rights)
RW D. Gurianov (RFA Rights)
2021 3rd round pick (SFA)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals TRADE::caps TRADE:
D J. Brodin2021 1st round pick (WSH)
C J. Roslovic (RFA Rights)2020 3rd round pick (ARZ)(83)
2020 6th round pick (WSH)(185)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
(I also made 6 other draft pick swaps, which can be found on the Google Sheet.)

Draft Results

Top 5 Picks

#PlayerTeamPos.AgeOverallPotential
1J. KuleminOttawaLW1780 Medium Elite
2R. Brind'AmourFloridaD1873 Medium Elite
3D. GarciaDetroitLW1872 Medium Elite
4I. LoktionovOttawaC1770 Medium Elite
5V. VolkovSan FranciscoC1865 Medium Elite
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
San Francisco Admirals Draft List

#PlayerPos.AgeOverallPotential
5V. VolkovC1865Medium Elite
35N. MilmanD1764Low Top 4 D
65O. KolosovC1760Low Top 9 F
90R. DonovanRW1860Low Top 9 F
102E. PierceRW1960Medium Bottom 6 F
106A. BarklundD1955Medium Top 6 D
110T. GauthierG1966Medium Fringe Starter
143X. BouchardD2064Low Top 6 D
146N. HutchesonLW1961Medium AHL Top 6 F
220C. DouglasC2067Medium Top 9 F
223T. ModinRW1850Medium Bottom 6 F
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
First Round Summary

YQmFd9e.jpg

Here's what GM Dean Lombardi had to say after the draft: "You know, I think we did well overall, especially considering we have a scouting team that hasn't had much experience, hasn't had much time to work together with each other and with management, and didn't really have the time to scout all the players as in-depth as I know many of us would've liked them to be. But I think we got a few players who can be difference-makers for us in the near future."

Looking ahead, the Admirals will now face the task of needing to extend several high-profile pending free agents, including Gabriel Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton, among others.

-----

Note:

Next Update:
Re-Sign Phase

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

Re-Sign Phase

June 30, 2020 --- Admirals General Manager Dean Lombardi had a tall task in front of him, needing to extend a dozen NHL roster-caliber players, but he was able to get it done in his first big contract test as GM.

Contract Extensions

PlayerPos.AgeOverallRole PotentialContract Terms
G. LandeskogLW27871st Line FExact Elite7 years/$6.85M AAV
D. HamiltonD2785Top 4 D Exact Top 4 D5 years/$4.325M AAV
E. GustafssonD2884Top 4 D Exact Top 4 D6 years/$3.75M AAV
R. StromeC26842nd Line F Medium Top 6 F4 years/$4.25M AAV
J. VranaLW24842nd Line FMedium Top 6 F6 years/$4.975M AAV
J. DeBruskRW23832nd Line F Medium Top 6 F2 years/$3.475M AAV
M. BlackwoodG2383Backup G Medium Starter8 years/$1.825M AAV
C. BrownRW26822nd Line F Medium Top 6 F4 years/$3.525M AAV
A. IafalloLW26813rd Line F Medium Top 6 F4 years/$2.3M AAV
T. DemkoG2481Backup G Medium Elite8 years/$5.25M AAV
R. DonatoC24803rd Line FMedium Top 6 F2 years/$1.725M AAV
O. KylingtonD2379Top 6 D Medium Top 4 D3 years/$1.825M AAV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here's what our analyst had to say about these contracts: "I think overall Lombardi did fairly well negotiating these contracts. You know, the Admirals have cap space to spare this season, so what that allowed them to do was to sign a few of these guys to long term deals rather than bridge deals. Those deals will carry a higher cap hit this season than a bridge deal would've, but San Francisco is betting on these players producing and developing strongly enough that in a few seasons, their cap hits will look like bargains. Prime example is their goaltending. 5 million dollars is a lot to pay for a 24 year old goalie with less than 40 NHL games under his belt. But they can afford to eat that higher cap hit this season, and they're hoping that he can become their future elite starting goalie, at which point, 4 or 5 years down the road, 5 million dollars will look like a steal, especially if the cap goes up. Blackwood is interesting because they went long term with him as well, but were able to get him under 2 million dollars. Even if he never excels into that starting role, a serviceable NHL backup at under 2 million dollars is not bad. The only one I could see not looking so great a few years down the line is the Gustafsson contract. I don't know if Lombardi views him as a crucial piece of San Francisco's core moving forward, but he's 28 now and they signed him to a 6 year deal at almost 4 million dollars per year. Gustafsson has shown streaks of great play the last couple seasons, but that's one that could come back to bite them if he doesn't pan out as they expect. They also committed long term to Vrana, but opted to go with the bridge deal for DeBrusk, which may show who they value more. They still have just over 12 million dollars in cap space, and they have some roster holes, so it will be interesting to see what they do in free agency."

-----

Note:

Next Update:
Free Agency

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

Free Agency

July 31, 2020 --- The San Francisco Admirals had an extremely busy month of July, signing several players and making several trades as they look to shore up their roster ahead of their inaugural season.

Free Agent Signings

PlayerPos.AgeOverallTypeContract
A. OvechkinLW3493UFA1Y/$7.75M AAV
M. SergachevD2284RFA1Y/$4.35M AAV
C. SoderbergC3481UFA2Y/$1.9M AAV
Z. HymanRW2883UFA4Y/$2.975M AAV
J. MarinoD2381RFA3Y/$2.175M AAV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Trades

7/1/20San Francisco Admirals TRADE::edmonton TRADE:
RW C. BrownLW T. Ennis
2021 4th round pick (EDM)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7/8/20San Francisco Admirals TRADE::bolts TRADE:
D E. GustafssonLW A. Killorn
2021 4th round pick (EDM)C A. Cirelli (RFA)
2021 4th round pick (SFA)2021 2nd round pick (SFA)
2021 5th round pick (SFA)2021 5th round pick (TBL)
2021 7th round pick (TBL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7/8/20San Francisco Admirals TRADE::bruins TRADE:
LW A. Killorn2021 3rd round pick (BOS)
2021 5th round pick (BOS)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7/20/20San Francisco Admirals TRADE::pens TRADE:
C R. Donato2021 3rd round pick (SFA)
2022 4th round pick (PIT)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7/29/20San Francisco Admirals TRADE::bruins TRADE:
D O. KylingtonD B. Carlo
D T. Stecher2021 4th round pick (BOS)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is what our analyst had to say about San Francisco's offseason so far: "Certainly to me it looks like they're living up to their promise to try to compete right away. I mean you don't go out and sign Alex Ovechkin if you're not planning on making the playoffs and trying to make a run. The interesting thing to me is they shipped out four players who they had just extended in late June. Now obviously that was to open up cap space and create roster space, but I have to think that if this were any other NHL team, those trades don't happen because teams have a real relationship with these players and the fans follow them and have their jerseys. That's not the case, yet, with the Admirals, so it's a lot easier for them to flip some of those players like they did. One other thing that stands out to me is what they do in net. Of course, they drafted Raanta but dealt him away. Meaning that as of now, their starting tandem is Mackenzie Blackwood and Thatcher Demko. They signed both to 8 years deals, but neither is a proven NHL starter. There are still some big name goalies available in free agency as of late July (including Tuukka Rask), so it will be interesting to see if they decide to sacrifice the future a bit, go all in, and deal one of Blackwood or Demko to sign Rask. I think they'll probably wait it out and see how their goaltending does through the start of the season, and then look at other options if that seems to be the reason why they may be failing. But certainly they landed some real good players already and look to have a good roster heading into their first season."

GM Dean Lombardi also spoke after the signings and trades: "We're happy with where we are right now. We're confident we have a great team. We've got youth, we've got exciting all-stars, and we've got a team that can compete right now. We're looking forward to October for sure."

-----

Note:

Next Update:
2020-21 Regular Season Intro

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft
Re-Sign Phase

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

Regular Season Intro

October 12, 2020 --- After a few more depth and AHL signings throughout the summer, the San Francisco Admirals are almost ready to begin their inaugural season. But first, we will take a look at the team's coaching staff, the lines, and the first captains in team history.

San Francisco Admirals Coaching Staff

Head Coach: Xavier Peters
Associate Coach: Peter Lascek
Assistant Coach: Kent Clymer
Goaltending Coach: Stephane Pluss

Oakland Bandits Coaching Staff

Head Coach: Robin Kaufmann
Associate Coach: Dylan Domingue
Assistant Coach: Jameson Birkholz
Goaltending Coach: Sylvain Chouinard

Our analysts thoughts on the Admirals' new coaching staff: "Not a lot of experience, but that may not be as big a deal with an expansion team as it would with a regular team. How many coaches with NHL experience have experience coaching a brand new team of guys who have never played with each other before? Maybe one or two. WHL rosters see major turnover every year and it's rare that players play more than a few seasons in the WHL, which means there are always new players. Xavier Peters' experience as head coach in Prince George may help him in that regard, though it will undoubtedly be an interesting adjustment to the NHL. Peter Lascek, the Associate Coach, has a lot of history with GM Dean Lombardi. Lombardi brought him in as the Head Coach of San Jose's ECHL team when he took over the reigns in 2001, and brought Lascek with him to the Los Angeles Kings' farm system by recruiting him for the Assistant Coach job on the Reading Royals, with Lascek being promoted to Head Coach of the Royals in 2014. The two were reunited in 2017 when Lombardi joined the Philadelphia Flyers organization (the Royals became Philadelphia's ECHL affiliate in 2014). Kent Clymer also had experience coaching youth as the Head Coach of the NCAA's Quinnipiac Bobcats since 2015. No games of NHL experience between all three coaches, so we'll see if they are up to the task."

San Francisco Admirals Lineup

LWCRW
Landeskog (87)Zibanejad (87)Guentzel (87)
Ovechkin (93)Strome (84)Vrana (84)
DeBrusk (83)Cirelli (83)Jarnkrok (82)
Iafallo (81)Soderberg (81)Hyman (83)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
Sergachev (84)Hamilton (85)
Fox (83)Parayko (85)
Marino (81)Carlo (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Blackwood (83)
Demko (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Healthy Scratches: Ennis (LW)(79), Bogosian (D)(78), Gagner (C)(78)

Oakland Bandits Lineup

LWCRW
Kuffner (74)Volkov (65)Petan (78)
Rempal (73)Douglas (67)McCarron (75)
Ikonen (69)Letunov (76)Bennett (78)
From (62)Hirvonen (63)Sokolov (64)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
Roy (73)Bouchard (64)
Milman (64)McCoshen (76)
Anderson (67)Lundkvist (60)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Nedeljkovic (79)
Stolarz (79)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Healthy Scratches: Heatherington (D)(77), McShane (C)(63), Sjalin (D)(61), Davidsson (LW)(59)

San Francisco Admirals Captains

The first two Assistant Captains in San Francisco Admirals history are...

Alexander Ovechkin and Dougie Hamilton!

And the first Captain in San Francisco Admirals history is...

Gabriel Landeskog!

-----

Note:

Note 2:
I will be playing each NHL game (on All-Star difficulty).

Next Update:
October 2020 Recap

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft
Re-Sign Phase
Free Agency

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

October 2020 Recap

October 31, 2020 --- It's safe to say the Admirals had a successful first month in the franchise's history. The team currently sits atop their division and tied for 1st in the conference. However, goaltending has been an issue for the team.

Admirals Schedule and Results

DateOpponentOpponent Record Starting GoalieLineup Changes Result
10/12Vs. :panthers 0-0-0BlackwoodN/A 5-4 Florida
10/15Vs. :edmonton 2-0-0Demko None6-5 San Francisco
10/17Vs. :nashville 0-2-0Blackwood None6-3 San Francisco
10/19@ :sharks 2-1-0Blackwood None6-3 San Francisco
10/20@ :rangers 2-1-0Demko None4-2 NY Rangers
10/22@ :caps 2-2-1Blackwood None8-2 San Francisco
10/24@
:kings
3-2-1BlackwoodNone 2-1 San Francisco
10/27Vs. :ducks2 5-1-1Blackwood None5-3 Anaheim
10/30@ :avs 4-3-1Blackwood None7-2 San Francisco
10/31Vs. :coyotes24-4-1 Demko None4-3 San Francisco (OT)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Admirals Record and Ranks

Record: 7-3-0
Division Rank: 1st
Conference Rank: T-1st
NHL Rank: T-4th

Admirals Team Point Leaders

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
J. GuentzelRW1010919
G. LandeskogLW1061016
M. ZibanejadC107815
M. SergachevD1021012
A. CirelliC104610
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Admirals Goalie Stats

GoalieWLOTLSOSV%GAA
M. Blackwood5200.8603.01
T. Demko2100.7843.68
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Western Conference Standings

No.Team GPWLOTLPTS
1San Francisco1073014
2Dallas1073014
3Vegas962113
4Anaheim1063113
5Vancouver963012
6Chicago1054111
7Colorado1054111
8Minnesota932410
9Edmonton1044210
10Arizona1044210
11St. Louis 94419
12Calgary 94419
13Winnipeg 104519
14Los Angeles 104519
15San Jose 94508
16Nashville 92704
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL Point Leaders

PlayerPos.TeamGPGAPTS
J. GuentzelRWSan Francisco1010919
G. LandeskogLWSan Francisco1061016
M. ZibanejadCSan Francisco107815
R. RakellLWAnaheim1010414
N. MacKinnonCColorado107714
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
AHL Report (Oakland Bandits)

Record: 6-2-1
Division Rank: 2nd
Conference Rank: 4th
AHL Rank: 10th

Bandits Team Point Leaders

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
N. PetanRW95610
R. KuffnerLW9357
V. VolkovC9526
M. McCarronRW10325
X. BouchardD10055
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Transactions
None

Injuries
None

Notes
None

Analyst Summary

Certainly not a bad first month for the Admirals, but there are some major warning signs flashing right now. Their goaltending has been subpar to say the least. They've shown they're capable of scoring, but losing 5-4 counts the same as losing 1-0. Also, 3 of their 7 wins came against the last 3 teams in the West, 1 came against the 13th team in the East (Washington), and they lost against the 14th team in the East (Florida). So far, they've only actually beaten 1 playoff team (Colorado). So you could argue their early success is due, at least in part, to the relative weakness of their schedule. Time will tell if that's true and they are a paper tiger or if the team is really a competitive one. But something that will undoubtedly need to be addressed if the team plans on making a run is goaltending. They tried to play more towards the future with the two goalies they went with, but early on, that decision is looking like a mistake. The team's overall stats look good, but once you start to look beneath the surface, things look shaky.

-----

Note:

Note 2:

Next Update:
November 2020 Recap

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft
Re-Sign Phase
Free Agency
Regular Season Intro

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

November 2020 Recap

November 30, 2020 --- The Admirals slipped a bit during November, but still posted a winning record during the month. Landeskog missed 9 games due to a concussion, and Blackwood and Demko continue to struggle. The team signed veteran free agent Jason Spezza.

DateOpponentOpponent RecordStarting GoalieLineup Changes Result
11/2@ :sabres4-4-2BlackwoodNone4-1 Buffalo
11/5@ :stars7-4-0BlackwoodLW Ennis (In)
LW Landeskog (Out)(Injury)
4-1 San Francisco
11/6@:pens7-3-2Demko None7-5 San Francisco
11/9Vs. :sens5-7-1Demko None4-1 Ottawa
11/10Vs. :leafs 7-5-2Blackwood None7-5 San Francisco
11/13@ :wild 5-4-6Blackwood None7-3 Minnesota
11/16Vs. :nucks 8-7-1DemkoLW Gagner (In)
LW Ennis (Out)(Scratch)
3-1 San Francisco
11/18@ :hawks 6-10-1Demko None6-4 San Francisco
11/20@ :isles13-3-2Demko None5-3 San Francisco
11/22@:habs11-8-0Demko None4-3 San Francisco (OT)
11/23@ :devils 11-8-1BlackwoodNone 2-1 San Francisco
11/25@ :flames 9-9-3 BlackwoodNone 3-1 Calgary
11/27Vs. :wings 9-12-1 Blackwood LW Landeskog (In)
LW Gagner (Out)(Scratch)
7-3 Detroit
11/29Vs. :jets11-11-1Demko None 2-0 Winnipeg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record: 15-9-0
Division Rank: 3rd
Conference Rank: 3rd
NHL Rank: 7th

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
M. ZibanejadC24121830
J. GuentzelRW24121628
A. CirelliC24101323
J. DeBruskLW247916
G. LandeskogLW1361016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Admirals Goalie Stats

GoalieWLOTLSOSV%GAA
M. Blackwood8600.8613.44
T. Demko7300.8393.29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No.Team GPWLOTLPTS
1Vegas (+2)24157232
2Anaheim (+2)23157131
3San Francisco (-2)24159030
4San Jose (+11)23138228
5Dallas (-3)23139127
6St. Louis (+5)24129327
7Vancouver (-2)241310127
8Arizona (+2)23129226
9Winnipeg (+4)241211125
10Edmonton (-1)2398624
11Colorado (-4)231110224
12Calgary (-)241010424
13Chicago (-7)241112123
14Minnesota (-6)2389622
15Nashville (+1)23912220
16Los Angeles (-2)23812319
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL Point Leaders

PlayerPos.TeamGPGAPTS
C. McDavidCEdmonton23161531
M. ZibanejadC San Francisco2412 18 30
S. StamkosC Tampa Bay 24 10 20 30
R. RakellLW Anaheim 2316 12 28
N. MacKinnonC Colorado 23 14 14 28
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record: 11-11-1
Division Rank: 4th
Conference Rank: 8th
AHL Rank: 19th

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
N. PetanRW23101323
V. VolkovC239615
R. KuffnerLW236915
I. McCoshenD233710
B. BennettRW233710
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Transactions

11/16 - Signed Free Agent C Jason Spezza to a 1 year, $850K contract

Injuries

11/2 - LW Gabriel Landeskog (Concussion) estimated to return 12/3

Notes

11/13 - Head Coach Xavier Peters was ejected from the game against the Minnesota Wild for screaming at officials after Minnesota was given 9 powerplays and San Francisco was given 0. Peters was also fined $20,000 for his post-game comments, in which he called the officiating "the worst [he's] ever seen in all [his] years of coaching", and suggested that the "only explanation" is that "the refs or the league had some vested interest in the Wild winning this game", noting "that's the only reason I could think of. It was that atrocious". Despite the penalties, San Francisco out-shot Minnesota 37-36, had 22 more hits, had nearly 8 minutes more of time on attack, and won more faceoffs. "There's not a doubt in my mind that we're a better team than they are. If the refs call the game fair, we win, because we outplayed them. But the refs didn't call the game fair, and they're walking out of here with 2 points. It's a joke", added Peters before leaving the post-game press conference.

Analyst Summary

The Admirals hit a bit of a rough patch late in the month with 3 straight losses, but overall, November was still an above .500 month for San Francisco. Outside of scoring just 1 goal against Calgary and getting shutout by Winnipeg, scoring had not appeared to be an issue for the team. Goaltending is still struggling and will need to be addressed. GM Dean Lombardi has said he wants to give it until the "new year", saying "you know, it's a tough situation, everyone coming in here from 30 different teams and different cities and different systems and to try to get a team where almost nobody has played together before to mesh well right off the bat is a tall order. We're going to give it some more time, and if by January we still see glaring holes, we'll address those holes."

-----

Note:

Note 2:

Next Update:
December 2020 Recap

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft
Re-Sign Phase
Free Agency
Regular Season Intro
October 2020 Recap

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
rECDRa0.jpg

December 2020 Recap

December 31, 2020 --- Another up and down, inconsistent month for the Admirals has fans and analysts wondering what direction the team should head in as we move in to the new year and draw within 60 days of the trade deadline. With the strong play of the two Oakland Bandits goaltenders, the team decided to roll the dice and put Anthony Stolarz in goal for the last two games of the month.

DateOpponentOpponent RecordStarting GoalieLineup Changes Result
12/2Vs. :bruins14-7-3DemkoNone3-2 Boston (OT)
12/5Vs. :cbj7-15-3DemkoNone4-0 Columbus
12/7Vs. :bolts10-13-3Blackwood None6-0 San Francisco
12/9@
:vegas
16-9-2Blackwood None5-2 San Francisco
12/10Vs. :blues13-11-4Demko None3-1 St. Louis
12/12Vs. :canes20-5-4BlackwoodRW Gagner (In)
RW Vrana (Out)(Injury)
8-1 San Francisco
12/14@ :flyers14-13-3BlackwoodNone3-2 Philadelphia
12/16@
:panthers
14-13-4BlackwoodRW Vrana (In)
RW Gagner (Out)(Scratch)
6-2 Florida
12/20@ :edmonton14-12-6Demko None2-1 Edmonton
12/22@:nashville14-16-3Demko None5-1 San Francisco
12/27Vs. :sharks 20-12-2DemkoRW Gagner (In)
RW Hyman (Out)(Injury)
3-1 San Jose
12/28Vs. :rangers19-14-2StolarzNone 6-1 San Francisco
12/30Vs. :caps14-17-5StolarzNone7-2 San Francisco
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record: 21-15-1
Division Rank: 4th
Conference Rank: 4th
NHL Rank: 9th

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
M. ZibanejadC37172239
J. GuentzelRW37142438
A. CirelliC37122234
A. OvechkinLW37141529
J. DeBruskLW37121325
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Admirals Goalie Stats

GoalieWLOTLSOSV%GAA
M. Blackwood11801.8793.14
T. Demko8710.8753.09
A. Stolarz2000.9401.50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No.Team GPWLOTLPTS
1San Jose (+3)372312248
2Vegas (-1)362212246
3Vancouver (+4)362112345
4San Francisco (-1)372115143
5Anaheim (-3)362015141
6Dallas (-1)361916139
7St. Louis (-1)361714539
8Arizona (-)361715438
9Winnipeg (-)371817238
10Minnesota (+4)371514838
11Calgary (+1)361615537
12Nashville (+3)371717337
13Edmonton (-3)361515636
14Los Angeles (+2)361515636
15Colorado (-4)361617335
16Chicago (-3)371719135
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL Point Leaders

PlayerPos.TeamGPGAPTS
S. CrosbyCPittsburgh37253156
A. MatthewsC Toronto37212950
E. MalkinC Pittsburgh37192847
J. EichelCBuffalo36232346
B. MarchandLWBoston37172946
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record: 19-17-1
Division Rank: 5th
Conference Rank: 8th
AHL Rank: 18th

PlayerPos.GPGAPTS
N. PetanRW37102333
V. VolkovC3714923
M. McCarronRW3791423
B. BennettRW3761319
R. KuffnerLW3781018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Transactions

12/28 - LW Tyler Ennis sent down to Oakland (AHL)
12/28 - D Zach Bogosian sent down to Oakland (AHL)
12/28 - G Anthony Stolarz recalled from Oakland (AHL)

Injuries

12/10 - RW Jakub Vrana (Bruised Hand) estimated to return 12/18
12/22 - RW Zach Hyman (Injured Neck) estimated to return 12/29

Notes

None

Analyst Summary

Things just got interesting in San Francisco. The team has two young goalies who they believe are the future and have locked up on 8 year deals, but both have been struggling this season (although their save percentage and goals against average numbers improved during December). Management and the coaching staff decide, as they approached the self-imposed "new year" deadline to figure out the goaltending, among other roster issues, to call up AHL goalie Anthony Stolarz and throw him in net. Stolarz had posted solid numbers for Oakland, going 12-9-0 with 4 shutouts, a .919 SV%, and a 2.35 GAA, but prior to this recall, Stolarz had just 26 NHL games under his belt and a losing record. The move seems to have paid off, as Stolarz went 2-0, posting a .940 SV% and a 1.50 GAA (which are both the best in the NHL, though in a limited sample size). The question everyone is asking is: what now? Again, one of your "goalies of the future" who you've signed for 8 years is sitting on the bench and the other one isn't even dressed and is up in the press box. But you can't take Stolarz out, right? At least not until he loses or puts up a poor performance. Is there a trade coming? Is Stolarz just on a hot streak, or is he showing he's actually capable of being a solid NHL goaltender when given a chance? These are questions that are going to need to be answered before San Francisco can really decide if and how they're going to "go for it" this season.

-----

Note:

Note 2:

Next Update:
January 2021 Recap

Previous Updates:
Introduction
The Expansion Draft
2020 NHL Entry Draft
Re-Sign Phase
Free Agency
Regular Season Intro
October 2020 Recap
November 2020 Recap

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Created a Quebec franchise. Currently 20-0.

lines when healthy

Hall Studnicka Kane
Wood Girgenson Russia guy whos name I forgot
Namestnikov Khaira Anderson
Lemuix Frederic Ho Sang

Sergachev Myers
Dunn Cernak
Larsson Zadorov

Have some injuries now. Drafted Byfield but hes not on the roster right now

traded 3 firsts for P Kane

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Quick important question for you Franchise heads and Roster editers:

Re-compiling my lists for full updating.
-Anyone know of any missing players?
-It looks like EA hasn't put in player screenshots for almost all past Drafted Rookies (such as Trevor Zegras, Spencer Knight, and Vasili Podkolzin), hopefully this is fixed, fully
-Or last year Corey Perry and Travis Hamonic were missing, anything like that, yet?!

Thanks. Cheers​

Last edited:

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Quick question.

Is it only me or the GM mode on ps4 is supper buggy. It keep lagging so hard. Can barely open or change page in the GM mode with out the lag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad