GM Game #8: Seattle Expansion Edition by OB5 and SJSharks39

Expansion draft before or after UFA

• Total voters

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
You don't want to sign Joel Edmundson?

His qualifying offer is $3,000,000 and I'd rather use that cap space elsewhere.

Having said that, Joel Edmundson's rights are available for trade

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
His qualifying offer is $3,000,000 and I'd rather use that cap space elsewhere.

Having said that, Joel Edmundson's rights are available for trade
Edmundson is worth well over 3 mil. He's a young top-4 defenseman.

OB5

May 2, 2015
guys I am just realizing something-the expansion draft was done BEFORE free agency last time around will likely be done before then as well.

Should we be doing the expansion draft first?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
guys I am just realizing something-the expansion draft was done BEFORE free agency last time around will likely be done before then as well.

Should we be doing the expansion draft first?

I would do the expansion draft first, although both have benefits.

If we do the expansion draft first, teams don't need to protect UFAs.
If we do it after FA, teams will have to protect newly-signed players, making the game more interesting. Up to you.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I would do the expansion draft first, although both have benefits.

If we do the expansion draft first, teams don't need to protect UFAs.
If we do it after FA, teams will have to protect newly-signed players, making the game more interesting. Up to you.
I added a poll, majority will decide!

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Before no doubt.

I was about to ask this question anyways.

Seattle would be stacked if they were allowed to pick from post-UFA offers. Hard to protect that many.

Also just a more realistic timeline.

- Trading to adjust for expansion
- Expansion
- UFA

Give a couple days before trading/RFA signings. Then expansion one day. Then UFA start this weekend IMO.

Reactions: Llamamoto and OB5

OB5

May 2, 2015
Ok so it looks like we're trending towards having the expansion draft before free agency so we will be making a change.

Trading prior to expansion draft will go until Friday at 12 PM ET.

Expansion draft will occur then. After that we will open to up to free agency.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
:bolts

Open for anything. You should all know who won’t be moving, though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
:avs

Quick question related to expansion draft. Is Girard exempt? He has only played 2 seasons in the NHL/AHL and I thought it was 3 but the capfriendly tool has him as not exempt.

:devils

Same question and problem but with Blackwood, Bratt, Hischier, and Butcher.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Is there an expansion tool that tells you who would be exempt for this summer situation?

Or what are the rules again?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
:avs

Quick question related to expansion draft. Is Girard exempt? He has only played 2 seasons in the NHL/AHL and I thought it was 3 but the capfriendly tool has him as not exempt.

:devils

Same question and problem but with Blackwood, Bratt, Hischier, and Butcher.
2 full seasons of pro make them eligible.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Is there an expansion tool that tells you who would be exempt for this summer situation?

Or what are the rules again?
It doesn't look like the tool works on capfriendly correctly. Basically any player that you have a question about, you should look at how many seasons they played I believe over 2 is not exempt.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
The tool on capfriendly is assuming that the expansion draft will take place next summer, not this summer

Reactions: Dabeast

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So how do we handle this?
I think that each GM should know who is exempt and isn't from their team. So basically if a player has 3 NHL/AHL seasons over 10 games then they are not exempt if they have less than that then they are. The rules were 2 seasons or less so a player like Girard for example had seasons of 6, 73, 82 so exempt. A player like Meier though had 67, 81, 78 so not exempt. A general rule of thumb that isn't applicable to all but most is that if a player has 2 more seasons on their ELC they should be exempt. That's not accurate for all though because not everyone signs three year ELCs.

Reactions: Llamamoto

OB5

May 2, 2015
I think that each GM should know who is exempt and isn't from their team. So basically if a player has 3 NHL/AHL seasons over 10 games then they are not exempt if they have less than that then they are. The rules were 2 seasons or less so a player like Girard for example had seasons of 6, 73, 82 so exempt. A player like Meier though had 67, 81, 78 so not exempt. A general rule of thumb that isn't applicable to all but most is that if a player has 2 more seasons on their ELC they should be exempt. That's not accurate for all though because not everyone signs three year ELCs.
Ok so let's follow this model.

In your roster threads please post your protected lists of either 8 skaters or 7 forwards 3 defenseman and a goalie, as well as the players you are leaving unprotected.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ok so let's follow this model.

In your roster threads please post your protected lists of either 8 skaters or 7 forwards 3 defenseman and a goalie, as well as the players you are leaving unprotected.
What about starting an expansion draft thread so you can post your picks in there too? I'm fine either way just presenting another option.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad