Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I really hope you are right about winning a Cup with that D core. But I have zero confidence in any of them in their own end when under pressure. That is why we give up so many shots. Yes team defence will improve with forward guys who left for sure. but you still need a d core who can do the dirty work. What i saw last year was Matty and Kadri as main guys getting puck outta our end. That takes a big toll on them over time. Lets hope for the best i just don;y like to rely on hope. I prefer a sure thing d core.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
With the forward core the Leafs have defence will take a bit of a back seat. No team can afford both a top tier offence or defence (I guess maybe Tampa can if they land Karlsson.)

IMO the defence does need to improve but not as much as some say. Some of the talking heads and HFers have made up their minds that Toronto needs a #1 or #2. I disagree. I think Rielly is a decent #1. A #2 would be nice, but a middle pair RHD 3-4 guys is what they *need* IMO and would work with their salary going forward. Easier said than done to acquire obviously.

Zaitsev looking like a middle pair guy this year would help alot too. I think he can bounce back. He had alot going on last year.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I disagree. They have a good defence, better than the Leafs, but not top tier IMO. Overall though I think TBay is the best team in the east.

Really eh? Not convinced with Hedman, Sergachev, Stralman, McDonagh, etc. It does not shape up the likes up the Preds but it is definitely up there

Reactions: White Shadow

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
People are way overblowing the Leafs defensive issues. Not having to shelter a line for ~15 minutes a night is going to be a huge boost to the Leafs defensive performance. Adding one more solid defender to lessen Hainsey’s load - preferably one of Pysyk or Tanev - and they’re golden.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They already do with or without Karlsson
I disagree. Their defense would be arrayed something like this, marked by approximately how good they are:

#1 - RL*
1P - 2P
RL - 2P

*RL = Replacement Level

That's still quite good, but it's not one of the better groups out there. Strålman isn't what he once was anymore, and their depth beyond the four top names isn't good. Having a Girardi on your top pairing is problematic. Worse than us having Hainsey there. Here's ours for comparison:

1P - 3P
1P - 3P
2P - RL

The differences aren't that big.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So I decided to spend some time mapping out the Leafs Amateur/European Scouting vacancies since those are the only ones remaining from last season:

North America
Director of Amateur Scouting: John Lilley
Director of Eastern Scouting: Lindsay Hofford*
Director of Western Scouting: Tim Speltz
Director of US Scouting: Vacant
BC/Alberta Scouting: Garth Malarchuk
Manitoba/Saskatchewan Scouting: Dale Derkatch
Western US Scouting (Washington, Oregon): Tim Speltz
Midwest US + USHL Scouting (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois): Tony Martino*
Northeast US Scouting (New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachussets, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire): Jim Vesey Sr. + John Lilley
Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/Southern Ontario (USDP, Flint, Saginaw, Erie, Windsor, London, Sarnia, Muskegon, Youngstown): John Kisil
Northern Ontario/Western Quebec (SSM, Sudbury, North Bay, Kingston, Ottawa, Rouyn Noranda, Val D'Or, Gatineau, Blainville-Boisbriand): Real Paiement
GTA/Central Ontario: Lindsay Hofford*
Central/Eastern Quebec: Patrick Charbonneau + Stephane Robidas (unofficially)
Maritimes: Vacant (and did not officially exist last year, but would be worthwhile for the Leafs)

European
Director of European Scouting: Ari Vuori
Scandinavian Scout: Thommie Bergman
Scandinavian Scout: Robert Nordmark
Russian Scout: Vacant
Russian Scout: Vacant
Germany/Switzerland/Czechnia/Slovakia Scout: Radim Jelenik

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Speaking of the blueline, it’s become a hot topic once again this summer. Other than the aforementioned Marlies, the only new face could be Russian free agent Igor Ozhiganov, friend of Nikita Zaitsev and a tough dude to play against. Improvement from Zaitsev, who struggled through injuries this past season, would also help. But there was no Chris Tanev, no John Carlson, no Drew Doughty; Tanev is still in Vancouver while the other two are now locked in long-term with their original teams. Fans may be hollering, but Dubas is more chill about the situation.

“I know people are antsy, but elite players are costly and hard to come by,” he said. “I don’t have the same anxiety; I’m more bullish than the public is about our blueline.”
“The key was having intelligence and skill,” he said. “To encourage the creativity of the players and to have toughness, but not in the sense most people think of it: I mean the way Mitch Marner uses speed and tenacity to get the puck back, or the way Zach Hyman wins 50-50 battles.”

And what did Dubas do to celebrate the Tavares signing; champagne, chocolate cake?

“I sat in the office with our staff, thinking of ways to make our team better,” he said. “Then I went home and went to bed. We’re still a long way from where we want to get to.”

Guess Dubas prefers his players to head up the excitement department – he certainly has the names to do it.

Reactions: IBeL34f

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well he's certainly not going to get anywhere acting like he's in a panic about blueline help. And honestly I'd be surprised if he didn't have confidence in guys on the Marlies considering his role with that team the past few years.

If there's a move then great. But may also just have to trust the guys there to compete for jobs and assemble the best group out of that.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Zaitsev looking like a middle pair guy this year would help alot too. I think he can bounce back. He had alot going on last year.

I 100% agree. Zaitsev having a bounce back season would greatly diminish our need to acquire a top-4 RHD. Of course, I wouldn't complain if we ended up acquiring one (depending on price), but a lot of people are kind of forgetting about Zaitsev due to the season he just had. He was phenomenal in his rookie season. Maybe the issue should be acquiring someone more steady for him to play with.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Totally agree.
Find:
A partner who lets him play his game.
A way to keep him healthy.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

1). No matter what a GM or coach really thinks, every year they like our defence. Standard answer, then when they make a trade "well, we felt we needed to shore up our backend", lol.

2). It's okay to admit you high fived the air and danced in your office when you landed the biggest free agent in years.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
People are way overblowing the Leafs defensive issues. Not having to shelter a line for ~15 minutes a night is going to be a huge boost to the Leafs defensive performance. Adding one more solid defender to lessen Hainsey’s load - preferably one of Pysyk or Tanev - and they’re golden.

This is the thing people aren’t considering, upgrading the defense doesn’t just involve upgrading the actual D. Tavares is an elite defensive player, by most metrics comparable to a ROR/Couturier level center man. Bozak by most metrics is a horrible defensive player, same for JVR. By upgrading to JT/Johnsson leafs will give up fewer shots and possess the puck more. We don’t need to completely shelter the third line anymore.

Also getting rid of polak and a right handed bottom pairing guy who can move the puck whether that be Holl or Carrick is a huge upgrade.

Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Hainsey
Marincin-Zaitsev

That is probably a dcore that ranks around 12-16 by most metrics.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
This is the thing people aren’t considering, upgrading the defense doesn’t just involve upgrading the actual D. Tavares is an elite defensive player, by most metrics comparable to a ROR/Couturier level center man. Bozak by most metrics is a horrible defensive player, same for JVR. By upgrading to JT/Johnsson leafs will give up fewer shots and possess the puck more. We don’t need to completely shelter the third line anymore.

Also getting rid of polak and a right handed bottom pairing guy who can move the puck whether that be Holl or Carrick is a huge upgrade.

Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Hainsey
Marincin-Zaitsev

That is probably a dcore that ranks around 12-16 by most metrics.

Yeah, a lot of people fall into the trap of believing defence falls solely on the D-men. With further growth in the kids, the swap of JVR/Bozak to JT/AJ, as well as even changing Komarov to Kapanen ... it's all going to lead to less time on ice where we get caved in on Shot Share.

I honestly think that the future of "defending" is something we already know, having the puck is the best defence. If we can become a stronger breakout team (with the changes already made, we already have), that's going to lead to more possession time, and less time in our own zone. Having mobile guys who can move the puck (Dubas' stated MO) is the best way to accomplish that. Defensive d-men that are only good at defending are dinosaurs, who only really "shine" on the PK when they don't have to move around too much and can just ice the puck - but even then, having a guy who can skate it out of danger and possibly create a chance the other way is so much more valuable.

I'm really excited to see where the team goes, and have full faith that Dubas will get it to where it needs to be.

Reactions: OddyOh and IBeL34f

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yeah, a lot of people fall into the trap of believing defence falls solely on the D-men. With further growth in the kids, the swap of JVR/Bozak to JT/AJ, as well as even changing Komarov to Kapanen ... it's all going to lead to less time on ice where we get caved in on Shot Share.

I honestly think that the future of "defending" is something we already know, having the puck is the best defence. If we can become a stronger breakout team (with the changes already made, we already have), that's going to lead to more possession time, and less time in our own zone. Having mobile guys who can move the puck (Dubas' stated MO) is the best way to accomplish that. Defensive d-men that are only good at defending are dinosaurs, who only really "shine" on the PK when they don't have to move around too much and can just ice the puck - but even then, having a guy who can skate it out of danger and possibly create a chance the other way is so much more valuable.

I'm really excited to see where the team goes, and have full faith that Dubas will get it to where it needs to be.

I love this post, especially the bolded. All we need is guys to move the puck. We will have the puck all the time in the ozone so we won't really need to defend all that much anyways. Puck possession is the best form of defense.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't go that far. Slightly above average defensive player. I agree with everything else though :thumbu:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think that Dubas will address the defensive situation... but he's not in any sort of rush.

I think he wants to wait until the season starts and see what we have before making any big moves. If the right deal is there, I think he'll make it... but he's not going to panic into making a bad move at this point.

Zaitsev is a big question mark. Will he be top 4 guy... bottom pairing... or in need of replacement? Gotta see how Igor Ozhiganov looks. See how Rosen, Borgman, and Liljegren are doing.

Gardiner is another big question mark. If he looks good, are we re-signing him... are we looking to trade him?

The good thing is that we can go into this season with our current defensive group and we are still a lock for the playoffs. I think by trade deadline time, we will have a better idea of our needs and I expect us to try to improve our defense around that time. We might be looking at more of a short term rental... or maybe we find a good long term piece.

At this point, the following players are locks: Gardiner, Rielly, Dermott, Hainsey, Zaitsev. There will be a lot of guys competing for that last spot. If those 5 are all playing well, and we get one of Ozhiganov, Carrick, Rosen, Borgman, etc. to play well ... then we may not even need someone. I think there's a good chance that we have 6 defenders who are all pretty good... meaning we would need a high quality piece for there to be an upgrade.

edit: forgot Marincin a possibility too.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I disagree. Their defense would be arrayed something like this, marked by approximately how good they are:

#1 - RL*
1P - 2P
RL - 2P

*RL = Replacement Level

That's still quite good, but it's not one of the better groups out there. Strålman isn't what he once was anymore, and their depth beyond the four top names isn't good. Having a Girardi on your top pairing is problematic. Worse than us having Hainsey there. Here's ours for comparison:

1P - 3P
1P - 3P
2P - RL

The differences aren't that big.

How come you have Zaitsev as 3p and hainsey as 3p, but coburn as 2p?

Also MCD looks like a 2p now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad