GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I guess all those national hockey writers who ranked the prospect pool #1 or close to it are secret Flyer fans.

"average"

SKATERS
1. Frost, Morgan - 84%
2. Myers, Phil - 79%
3. Farabee, Joel - 85%
4. O'Brien, Jay - 42%
5. Allison, Wade - 42%
6. Ratcliffe, Isaac - 59%
7. Morin, Sam - 39%
8. Rubtsov, German - 47%
9. Vorobyev, Mikhail - 84%
10. Laczynski, Tanner - 49%

11. Aube-Kubel, Nicolas - 66%
12. Kase, David - 26%
13. Linus Hogberg - 32%
14. Friedman, Mark - 22%
15. Strome, Matthew - 29%
16. Lycksell, Olle - 34%
17. Ginning, Adam - 25%
18. Cates, Noah - 47%
19. Sushko, Maxim - 43%
20. Kalynuk, Wyatt - 54%

21. Bunnaman, Connor - 27%
22. Laberge, Pascal - 33%
23. Bernhardt, David - 45%
24. Twarynski, Carson - 38%
25. St. Ivany, Jack - 57%
26. Wylie, Wyatte - 33%
27. Westfalt, Marcus - 56%
28. Martel, Danick - 73%
29. Hain, Gavin - 50%
30. Vasiliev, Valeri - 49%
(Not selected: Fazleev, Goulbourne, Warren, Willcox)

GOALIES
1. Hart, Carter - 98%
2. Sandstrom, Felix - 92%
3. Ustimenko, Kirill - 60%
4. Stolarz, Anthony - 78%
5. Ersson, Samuel - 69%
6. Fedotov, Ivan - 81%
7. Tomek, Matej
It kind of is at the present. EDIT: Actually, I'll concede it's above average. Around top 10.

That being said... Flyers "prospect pool" has looked very good over the past several years because of the high volume of tier 2+ prospects who have taken longer to turn pro. If you compare teams' young cores, Flyers wouldn't rank near the top. They simply don't have game-breaking talent under the age of 25.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm a Pens fan (dad is a diehard flyers guy), but dude saying Hextall drafted averagely is out to lunch. Flyers have a great young core that is going to make them competitive for the next ten years. Goaltending is bad, but they have a keeper in Hart. Moving out some pieces this year and readjusting the roster patiently is the smart move. Wait until Tampa and Toronto hit the cap crunch and Pittsburgh and Boston's cores age and they likely have a 3-4 year window to win a cup as a favorite in the east.

You're forgetting the fact that since 1976, we only go to the Finals to be beaten by the new dynasty.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
agree with the notion that the Flyers don't have any game breaking talent under the age of 25. Giroux is the only game break talent in the organization.

They have to get a great player in this draft. It may be their only opportunity.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People get spoiled by players who are instant success, Marner, Barzal, etc.
But other take longer:
Scheifele (22)
Kucherov (21)
Gaudreau (21)
Wheeler (25)
Tkachuk (21)
Lindholm (24)
Burns (30)

Guys drafted at the top of the draft tend to emerge quickly, at 19-20, but guys draft a bit later in the 1st round can take longer, one reason they fall in the draft is they're not as NHL ready as the guys chosen at the top of the draft.

I certainly wouldn't give up on Patrick quite yet, and players like TK, Lindblom, and some of the top forwards like Allison, Laczynski, Ratcliffe have top 6 potential. Frost and Farabee are good shots to be top 6 forwards.
Whether the Flyers end up with one or two young stars with 60 ES points or 7 with 40+ ES stars (or hopefully both), they're going to field three very good lines in a couple years.

Reactions: BernieParent

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I'd prefer to move on from Elliot. Seems like a good guy and he did play well before getting injured.

I just want a new backup/tandem goalie like Howard or Varley with Hart. We need to start a new chapter in Flyer goalies. Elliot will always remind me of Hak and his goofy love of him and overplaying the guy to death.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Eklunds reports that Flyers are buyers.. Mentioned Mark Stone.. Says we are heavy buys.
I know it is Eklund but I am nervous. :)

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
agree with the notion that the Flyers don't have any game breaking talent under the age of 25. Giroux is the only game break talent in the organization.

They have to get a great player in this draft. It may be their only opportunity.

It's hard to tell until they reach it. Nolan Patrick, for instance, could turn it around and become a star. Provorov, too, could become much better as he ages.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
How about this:

To Nashville: Wayne Simmonds
To Philadelphia: Mark Stone
To Ottawa: Dante Fabbro, Oskar Lindblom

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eklunds reports that Flyers are buyers.. Mentioned Mark Stone.. Says we are heavy buys.
I know it is Eklund but I am nervous. :)

I think they have been after him for some time. I believe they wanted sanhiem before? Now that he’s a UFA that’s even more of a no. I would rather sign him to a deal in the offseason. Maybe this is just a leak to let him know we are interested and to look for us after July 1!? Otherwise it’s going to cost a lot to get him and that makes no sense.

If this means we sign Stone and Panarin in the offseason plus Q I am very happy with the L this year.

Converting Voracek into a defensive defenseman sounds horrible. When do those trades ever work out? JVR for Schenn? Hall for Larsson?

I'd much rather just give Myers 40 games in the NHL this year and give Friedman and Morin an audition at No. 6 before making any trades for a D (unless we're getting a buy-low on Dougie Hamilton).

Well those are a little different when you consider jake makes over 8 million for several more years. He’s productive but not ideal for what this team needs, a sniper. So if you trade Jake for a good dman and then use his cap to help sign Stone then you basically turned Jake into a top 4 dman and Stone. That’s pretty good. I’d also like Myers up here for Hagg or Folin if no trade for a dman.

Pesce is a great two way/shutdown defenseman. It’s hard to describe his play as anything other than ‘steady’. He’s not flashy in any way, but he’ll get the job done. He had a tendency to defer to his partner on breakouts, but that’s mainly due to him being more or less attached at the hip to slavin, who is a bit more offensively minded.

My only complaint with his play would be his lack of physicality. Which isn’t to say he’s soft, but he rarely knocks guys over. He relies on his size and positioning to defend, which isn’t really a bad thing, but the team as a whole isn’t really ‘tough’ to play against which is kinda annoying.

Offensively he’s there. He doesn’t really contribute much, but isn’t a black hole either. I think on a team with compotent forwards he’d be capable of ~30 points a season. He does have a decent sense of when to jump into the play, he just doesn’t do it that often.

As far as his value. It’s hard to say. He’s super valuable to the canes, being a young, big, right handed defenseman locked up for 5(?) more seasons after this one at a reasonable rate. Add in his chemistry with Slavin, and the fact that the two of them make less that $10 million combined, and you’d have to pry him from our cold dead fingers. Of all of our rhd, he’d be the guy I would want to move the least.

So Voracek without rention is going to need a big plus?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
How about this:

To Nashville: Wayne Simmonds
To Philadelphia: Mark Stone
To Ottawa: Dante Fabbro, Oskar Lindblom
So, both Nashville and Ottawa get a player from us? I don't think 3-way trades work that way. Has that ever happened before?

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
So, both Nashville and Ottawa get a player from us? I don't think 3-way trades work that way. Has that ever happened before?

In the Duchene trade Colorado got players from both Ottawa and Nashville.

To Ottawa: C Matt Duchene
To Nashville: C Kyle Turris
To Colorado: OTT 1st-round pick, OTT 3rd-round pick, C Shane Bowers, G Andrew Hammond(from Ottawa); NSH 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev (from Nashville)

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
In the Duchene trade Colorado got players from both Ottawa and Nashville.

To Ottawa: C Matt Duchene
To Nashville: C Kyle Turris
To Colorado: OTT 1st-round pick, OTT 3rd-round pick, C Shane Bowers, G Andrew Hammond(from Ottawa); NSH 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev (from Nashville)
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Trading Weal so an inferior forward (Varone) can play every night and not promoting Myers so a much inferior defenseman (Folin) can play every night is tanking.

I’d like to see Meltzer write about what management is actually doing, rather than complain about what some fans are asking them to do as if tanking is something the morally righteous Flyers organization would never do. Cause they’re doing it right now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trading Weal so an inferior forward (Varone) can play every night and not promoting Myers so a much inferior defenseman (Folin) can play every night is tanking.

I’d like to see Meltzer write about what management is actually doing, rather than complain about what some fans are asking them to do as if tanking is something the morally righteous Flyers organization would never do. Cause they’re doing it right now.
I REALLY hope that's what's happening and it isn't just incompetence.

Hakstol played inferior players and he sure as hell wasn't tanking. He was just stupid.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

I used to really respect that guy but he’s such a corporate fanboy now. Even his articles, used to enjoy reading and now it’s just bland generalizations with NO OPINIONS or emotion. I get he has to be this way working for the team, but it’s very meh.

He knows his prospects and I enjoy that part of his “updates”.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Varone is a better 4C than Weal, this probably is more a product of keeping G at center on a temporary basis and moving Patrick down to 3C. Weal couldn't forecheck his way out of a paper bag.
And if they move G back to LW, they'd probably plan on looking at Vorobyev at 3C later in the season.

Myers may simply be reports from LHV that he's not consistent enough to be promoted, they do a lot more coaching in the AHL than the NHL (due to the schedule). Fletcher may also be waiting to see who he trades before he promotes players - it's not like there's any rush.

And face it, Myers isn't going to help them win this year, he may be more talented than Folin, but he's also raw. So it's more a matter of where they think he'd develop faster.

They don't have to try and tank, that's already been accomplished. :sarcasm:

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Gordon’s lineups are fine to me. It’s Fletcher’s roster choices that are perplexing.

Not calling up Myers and at least one more forward is just asinine but the optimist in me will wait until the deadline to see if they do it. Have to hope they are trying to showcase some of these goofs.

I don’t agree with it for one reason alone. Imagine how nice it would have been to have Sanheim start this season with more games under his belt already, instead of playing Hak’s “earn your ice time” challenge.

Myers needs to play. You can’t leave him in the A another season and you’ve got that mystery box in Morin. Is he bringing that sweet nectar? Or syphillys.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I can’t belive they’ve only had 6 healthy dmen on the roster for over a week now. It’s blatant mismanagement.

Is what it is. I’ve got hopes for Fletcher, but I have no doubt in my mind there aren’t sticky fingers trying to meddle their way in from the guys above him.

Kind of feel the organization chose to run with Hillary Swank when they had maybe a chance at Emma Watson, and the “current times” genius she would bring.

The coaching hire needs to be bang on, and these kids need to start being integrated properly. Show me that, and he’s got me.

Reactions: flyersfan187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad