GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The "not doing anything bad, but not really contributing either" category.

I think it's unfair to expect too much from Raffl or Lindblom. Raffl is a good defensive wing who doesn't have great hands. I feel he's been reliable in his role.

Lindblom has shown good play and warranted time on the 2nd line.

JVR is really miscast. Sometime on the 3rd line with Simmonds..ugh and almost no PP time. He needs somebody to get him the puck and excels on the PP. Very frustrating until Simmer is gone.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think it's unfair to expect too much from Raffl or Lindblom. Raffl is a good defensive wing who doesn't have great hands. I feel he's been reliable in his role.

Lindblom has shown good play and warranted time on the 2nd line.

JVR is really miscast. Sometime on the 3rd line with Simmonds..ugh and almost no PP time. He needs somebody to get him the puck and excels on the PP. Very frustrating until Simmer is gone.

Lindblom is no 2nd line winger at this stage of his career. Put him with Patrick, fine, but if that’s anything more than 2/3 of the 3rd line, well, you probably have a team near the league cellar.

Reactions: Felipe88

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Listening to Brad from the St.Louis Game Time on the podcast mention how he could see the team being interested in Simmer. I still think his value is probably still there, to a degree at least.

If you're an enamoured GM, all you have to do to convince yourself is:

1) Chalk up his play to still not quite recovered.
2) Team is a dumpster fire.
3) He's "personally shaken" the team hasn't taken care of him after he's "laid it on the line all these years" - further cementing the toughness/intangibles quality in their minds.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I keep seeing this narrative that Fletcher was "forced" to promote Hart cause Lyon was hurt. Aside from the fact the CBA prohibits the demotion of injured players from an NHL roster to a minor league, Hart played for the Flyers on 12/18, and Lyon played for the Phantoms on 12/19.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ideally we would have a better 2nd line winger. I'm just saying he's shown promise, and deserves more than 4th line minutes.
I desperately want to see it, I just haven’t yet aside from a couple of nice passes. His board work has been poor, vs a strength in Sweden, & his skating has often kept him behind the play.

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
I’d like to see before September 2019:
Patience on acquisitions until the offseason.
Sell UFAs at the deadline.
Take advantage of deadline day defenseman desperation to move AMac even if salary retained.
Promote Myers.
2019/20 plan to contend offseason moves.
Coaching staff that installs entertaining, fast, aggressive, offensive hockey.
Draft high enough for immediate contributor.
Off season acquisition of a healthy goalie that can share net with Hart
Off season skaters target speed especially at forward, and the fast forwards can PK.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I desperately want to see it, I just haven’t yet aside from a couple of nice passes. His board work has been poor, vs a strength in Sweden, & his skating has often kept him behind the play.

Hopefully just a learning curve. His excellent board work in Sweden caused expectations to be high, likely unreasonable in all honesty. I'm definitely guilty of that.

I would like him to consistently play with better line mates and see if he can keep improving his play.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hopefully just a learning curve. His excellent board work in Sweden caused expectations to be high, likely unreasonable in all honesty. I'm definitely guilty of that.

I would like him to consistently play with better line mates and see if he can keep improving his play.
I’d like to see him show more regardless of his linemates. He’s invisible 90% of his time on ice. And when he does get a chance he can’t finish — like shooting it straight into the “C” on the Flames’ jersey Saturday.

A big problem is he could get to the net in Sweden; can’t seem to do it here, just like his board work hasn’t translated so far. Hopefully just a matter of getting stronger.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This season is no longer worth saving but I also don't think the roster should be blown up. Changes should, MUST, be made, but I do not think that should come in the form of a full teardown. My thoughts on what needs to be done before next season:

MUST BE TRADED AT OR BEFORE DEADLINE:
Simmer
Weal

TRADED IF IT IS A GOOD OFFER:
JVR

SHOULD BE TRADED ONLY IF ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY BY AN OFFER:
Gudas
One of our big time defensive prospects
Voracek

KEPT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES:
Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Frizbee/Frost
Defensive prospects not traded in the above option

RE-SIGNED:
Raffl
Lehtera (JK)
All RFAs

Hopefully we wind up with the top pick and draft Hughes, and get at least one other first rounder. New coaching staff needs to be brought in pretty much from top to bottom. Some good UFAs to target would be the obvious Panarin, but there is also Silfverberg, Kevin Hayes, Jeff Skinner, Jordan Eberle, and Matt Duchene whom I believe are all set to be UFAs (using the sportrac website). Also if EK makes it to UFA I'd go after him. I think they definitely should sign a goalie but that is a tough call on where to go. Target Bob or Varlamov for a short-term starter while Hart backs up or give the reins to Hart fully and sign a clear backup (Koskinen? Stalock? Berube? Lack?)? Let the kids like Frost, Rubstov, NAK, etc. fill out the rest of the lineup. Also, am I the only one who thinks Vecchione should be playing over Varone?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This season is no longer worth saving but I also don't think the roster should be blown up. Changes should, MUST, be made, but I do not think that should come in the form of a full teardown. My thoughts on what needs to be done before next season:

Simmer
Weal

JVR

Gudas
Voracek

Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Frizbee/Frost

RE-SIGNED:
Raffl
Lehtera (JK)
All RFAs

Hopefully we wind up with the top pick and draft Hughes, and get at least one other first rounder. New coaching staff needs to be brought in pretty much from top to bottom. Some good UFAs to target would be the obvious Panarin, but there is also Silfverberg, Kevin Hayes, Jeff Skinner, Jordan Eberle, and Matt Duchene whom I believe are all set to be UFAs (using the sportrac website). Also if EK makes it to UFA I'd go after him. I think they definitely should sign a goalie but that is a tough call on where to go. Target Bob or Varlamov for a short-term starter while Hart backs up or give the reins to Hart fully and sign a clear backup (Koskinen? Stalock? Berube? Lack?)? Let the kids like Frost, Rubstov, NAK, etc. fill out the rest of the lineup. Also, am I the only one who thinks Vecchione should be playing over Varone?

I agree.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’d let Raffl walk. I appreciate everything he’s done for the team, but he’s exactly the type of 4th line player you don’t give a $2.5m contract to in his 30s. You have to clear out space for the younger guys like NAK.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I’d let Raffl walk. I appreciate everything he’s done for the team, but he’s exactly the type of 4th line player you don’t give a $2.5m contract to in his 30s. You have to clear out space for the younger guys like NAK.

Agreed on that. Nothing against him, he's a fine role player but we need to bring up NAK.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Simmer
Weal

JVR

Gudas
Voracek

Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Frizbee/Frost

RE-SIGNED:
Raffl
Lehtera (JK)
All RFAs

I like it, but...

I'd bump Gudas and Voracek up to the "trade if it is a good offer". We haven't been relevant for 5+ years now, and not all of it is due to coaching. Our core could use a shake. I wouldn't just give away Gudas and Jake but, if a nice offer came around, I'd probably jump on it.

And bump Raffl to the trade if blown away. I wouldn't mind resigning him as he is a nice solid 4th liner, but if someone comes around and gives you a 2nd or better. You take that and run.

Reactions: Insulin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I've heard a V for Tarasenko suggestion floating around. I'm a Jake fan but I love Tarasenko. He's having a down year but unless his shoulder isn't fully healed or something (likely due to his team is playing like shit, like us), he'd be a great addition.

His release is LETHAL. A fully engaged Tarasenko playing with G? He could hit 50 goals.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Listening to Brad from the St.Louis Game Time on the podcast mention how he could see the team being interested in Simmer. I still think his value is probably still there, to a degree at least.

If you're an enamoured GM, all you have to do to convince yourself is:

1) Chalk up his play to still not quite recovered.
2) Team is a dumpster fire.
3) He's "personally shaken" the team hasn't taken care of him after he's "laid it on the line all these years" - further cementing the toughness/intangibles quality in their minds.
Plus all the gms on a hot seat won't care too much about future as they would look to Simmonds for immediate help trying to delay the inevitable.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I've heard a V for Tarasenko suggestion floating around. I'm a Jake fan but I love Tarasenko. He's having a down year but unless his shoulder isn't fully healed or something (likely due to his team is playing like ****, like us), he'd be a great addition.

His release is LETHAL. A fully engaged Tarasenko playing with G? He could hit 50 goals.
Is that the same as kessel on Crosby's wing scoring 50 goals?

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Is that the same as kessel on Crosby's wing scoring 50 goals?

Well G is waaay better than Crosby :sarcasm:

Weird how they never really clicked. I guess different styles of play.

I'm skeptical he's available anyways and some Blues fans wonder if he's on a downward trajectory. Great hockey player though. Pretty solid defensively for a scorer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->