GM Auction Game - Discussion Thread

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Now at 14 teams. Would ideally like two more just to make the bracket a nice and clean 16 teams but will start tonight still regardless.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
First day of players to be bid on is up in the other thread. Remember you have 24 hours to make your offers before bidding closes at 8pm EST tomorrow night.

Please check the rules before PMing me your offers. Two new rules were updated recently:
- Minimum bid of $1,000,000 (for those who made less than 1m last year; minimum bid of a player's salary in 2019-20 still applies to the rest)
- Bidding in $100,000 increments. Ex) 5.1m, 5.2m, etc.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Another potential issue that I can see happening already with some of the bids...looking for opinions on what to do.

What do people think should happen in the event of a tied bid?

Didn't even think of that before for some reason, but seeing it happening already. Don't want to make this a "time" thing where first person who bid the tied amount gets it so any other ideas?

Flip a coin? :laugh:

OB5

May 2, 2015
Another potential issue that I can see happening already with some of the bids...looking for opinions on what to do.

Didn't even think of that before for some reason, but seeing it happening already. Don't want to make this a "time" thing where first person who bid the tied amount gets it so any other ideas?

I’d think that a tied bid=a beat bid so the amount would have to go up

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester

I would contact the people that tied. Let them send in a new offer and whoever goes higher gets the player

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

For ties I’d go first come first serve

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The two (or more) people already in the tie have the next 24 hours to bid on the player again ?

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I assumed so as well but just wanted to make 100%.

Also, are we allowing trading? Retaining cap/$$$ on trades?

Cap hit yes.

Also no trades in this game. If anyone gets themselves in a bad cap situation they will have to drop players at the end and accept the 50% dead cap as per the rules.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Have bids for all but a few people so far. Lots of money being thrown around here.

One rule I wanted to add:

You ARE allowed to increase your offer / add new offers if you change your mind.

You ARE NOT allowed to decrease your offer / drop an offer. Keeping track of the highest bids only as they come in, so this would just lead to problems.

This hasn't been an issue yet, just wanted to get in front of that potentially happening.

Reactions: hockeynorth

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Just a quick reminder that bidding for day 1 ends at 8pm EST. Still have a few guys without any bids yet so just making sure everyone knows of the deadline since this is new and all.

@Kent Nilsson
@scrappylilnobody
@Koivu777

If your strategy is to not bid at all Day 1 that's cool too though.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Just a quick reminder that bidding for day 1 ends at 8pm EST. Still have a few guys without any bids yet so just making sure everyone knows of the deadline since this is new and all.

@Kent Nilsson
@scrappylilnobody
@Koivu777

If your strategy is to not bid at all Day 1 that's cool too though.

Our bids will be coming, we are trying to gauge the league interest in certain elite players. My sources are telling me McDavid dreams of playing for :devils

Reactions: m0pe

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ

Okay so we ran into some snags today, but think they are all worked through now. But...there will be necessary changes starting Day 2 so this isn't a problem in the future.

CHANGES

1) Starting Day 2, you will only be allowed to bid TOTAL the amount of cap space you have left. We ran into some issues with some people making large bids on almost everyone and nearly going over the 100m cap on Day 1 (my bad, should have seen this coming). So if you only have 70m in space after today for example, you will have to choose where to bid your money more carefully instead of just bidding 200m+ in total on all the players available.

2) To accommodate this change, the talent will be more evenly distributed throughout the draft. I realize that first round was very top heavy and people wanted to secure some elite talent at all costs. It was originally supposed to be like that again for Day 2, with talent generally decreasing throughout the draft. It will still be this case to some extent (as I am sure people would ideally like to have their most valuable positions sorted out before their depth pieces), but I will try not to make it so that there will be no high end talent available later in the draft if you miss out on it early on.

3) Ties: In the event of a tied bid, I will ask each person involved in the tie what is the maximum bid they are willing to do. Whoever re-bids higher will get the player. Each person in the re-bid will have the 24 hours to re-bid on that player, but the player will sign as soon as all people involved reply. If neither person involved in the tie bid is willing to up their offer at all, I will flip a coin.

Sorry for all the changes and potential issues along the way. New game and requiring changes as new problems arise. I think that is all for now. Day 1 players will sign in an hour.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ

Okay so we ran into some snags today, but think they are all worked through now. But...there will be necessary changes starting Day 2 so this isn't a problem in the future.

CHANGES

1) Starting Day 2, you will only be allowed to bid TOTAL the amount of cap space you have left. We ran into some issues with some people making large bids on almost everyone and nearly going over the 100m cap on Day 1 (my bad, should have seen this coming). So if you only have 70m in space after today for example, you will have to choose where to bid your money more carefully instead of just bidding 200m+ in total on all the players available.

2) To accommodate this change, the talent will be more evenly distributed throughout the draft. I realize that first round was very top heavy and people wanted to secure some elite talent at all costs. It was originally supposed to be like that again for Day 2, with talent generally decreasing throughout the draft. It will still be this case to some extent (as I am sure people would ideally like to have their most valuable positions sorted out before their depth pieces), but I will try not to make it so that there will be no high end talent available later in the draft if you miss out on it early on.

3) Ties: In the event of a tied bid, I will ask each person involved in the tie what is the maximum bid they are willing to do. Whoever re-bids higher will get the player. Each person in the re-bid will have the 24 hours to re-bid on that player, but the player will sign as soon as all people involved reply. If neither person involved in the tie bid is willing to up their offer at all, I will flip a coin.

Sorry for all the changes and potential issues along the way. New game and requiring changes as new problems arise. I think that is all for now. Day 1 players will sign in an hour.
HOLY CRAP I AM GETTING NO ONE ON DAY 1

No need to be sorry. This is a huge undertaking and we all appreciate it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->