GDT: GM#70 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:30pm 3/14/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I don't know who it was...they saw me writing about TT and sent me a PM. Said they scouted games...

Ah, so they mentioned in their PM, they were a 'scout'. Maybe it was TG then, I think he has/had something to do with the Kings, maybe.

I had assumed by your post, you were at a game and happened to have a chat with one.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Have to disagree here. Growing up in hockey, you hear some pretty awful stuff said on ice and off. Think of a player like JAD with his family situation, or going further back, players like Willie O'Ree being role models for others like Grant Fuhr and Jarome Iginla. Historically, I feel like hockey is actually already relatively devoid of politics compared to other major sports.

If done in a genuine way, those types of messages can be powerful. Now, I'll admit that many attempts are done in poor faith basically motivated by marketing. However, saying it has no place is looking past how many people those messages can help and can be used to grow the game.

I think that's a good thing. Sports are about coming together so we can share the misery of cheering for the Kings. The [ ]Nights have always been a marketing tool and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Pretty sure we've had Pride Night for quite some time. We've also had Armenian Night(Maybe the only one in the NHL), Korean Night, etc.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I'm sorry but if you think the NHL's use of :
Hockey is for Everyone™ uses the game of hockey - and the League's global influence - to drive positive social change and foster more inclusive communities

is a political belief then it's you who is seeing it as a political belief.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't want this to get derailed into a debate about beliefs, but what's so political about wanting to get as many people to play the sport we love?

Nothing at all, i just doubt it works if you think about it. Seeing people wear rainbow jerseys isn't gonna do anything imo.

I know not everyone supports gay marriage, so Its bit weird that they'd push that angle especially players who might not support it themselves.

Lastly, I don't like anyone pushing ideologies, beliefs, and politics in sports. I don't want any of it.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Ah, so they mentioned in their PM, they were a 'scout'. Maybe it was TG then, I think he has/had something to do with the Kings, maybe.

I had assumed by your post, you were at a game and happened to have a chat with one.

I know TG and have had exchanges with him before....it was not him.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
If done in a genuine way, those types of messages can be powerful. Now, I'll admit that many attempts are done in poor faith basically motivated by marketing. However, saying it has no place is looking past how many people those messages can help and can be used to grow the game.

I'm sure a lot of it is about marketing and avoiding being targeted by special interest groups. But who cares? It's one game a season. Do people get upset that Disney has a pride day? If it bothers someone, they can just skip the game.

Maybe times have changed, but when I was growing up, homophobic slurs/jokes were far more common than racial ones. Back then, it was viewed as socially acceptable to beat a guy up if you thought he was hitting on you. It would be one thing to say they shouldn't have these types of events if there not been a history of hatred/discrimination, but that's not the case.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Have to disagree here. Growing up in hockey, you hear some pretty awful stuff said on ice and off. Think of a player like JAD with his family situation, or going further back, players like Willie O'Ree being role models for others like Grant Fuhr and Jarome Iginla. Historically, I feel like hockey is actually already relatively devoid of politics compared to other major sports.

I agree to an extent. Homosexuality isn't uncommon, but not all people are cool with it. Wearing some rainbow shit for marketing reasons and woke points is pathetic because it isn't the job of the sport to make anyone feel comfortable. I believe if anyone has to rely on a business to make them feel comfortable of joining then I think that's a big problem. Most of those people will only find resolve within themselves so the NHL masquerading as accepting while superceding some of its players own beliefs number one isn't right, and number 2 it's dangerous.

I don't think it's anyones job in this world to make you feel comfortable.

I don't have an issue with gay people but the cheap marketing, and the whole NHL is accepting is definitely false. And if someone finds comfort cause of it then they're in for a rude awakening, because it's nothing more than a cheap tactic. Players will still call eachother nasty shit and cheap marketing isn't gonna fix that. If anything, creates a fake illusion..

I think all politics and social issues should be outside of sports. Even then, I think it's a bit shady that the NHL "honors" military not for their heroism, but because of the amount of money they funnel into the NHL for their heavily veiled promotion of the military.

I want my hockey to be just hockey. Nothing else.

"paid for patriotism" and how the department of defense funnels money into the NHL and teams to have military related sequences within games.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Nothing at all, i just doubt it works if you think about it. Seeing people wear rainbow jerseys isn't gonna do anything imo.

I know not everyone supports gay marriage, so Its bit weird that they'd push that angle especially players who might not support it themselves.

Lastly, I don't like anyone pushing ideologies, beliefs, and politics in sports. I don't want any of it.

To answer the first part, I think you'd be surprised at how impactful just having a pride night, or song or gesture can go for someone. The rapper Logic release his song 1-800-273-8255 is the suicide hotline number and they reported significant increases in call volumes after he released his video and his performance at the VMAs. Now a simple Pride night isn't likely to have a massive impact, but I think if it even helps one player to have the courage to go forward with playing his favorite sport despite his sexuality, then I think it's successful.

Now with regards to the players, I'm not sure. Some are probably fine with, some probably aren't. But I haven't heard a single one of our players complain about it.

Now with your last part. Sports are political. Music is political. Movies are political. Always has been and always will be.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm sure a lot of it is about marketing and avoiding being targeted by special interest groups. But who cares? It's one game a season. Do people get upset that Disney has a pride day? If it bothers someone, they can just skip the game.

Maybe times have changed, but when I was growing up, homophobic slurs/jokes were far more common than racial ones. Back then, it was viewed as socially acceptable to beat a guy up if you thought he was hitting on you. It would be one thing to say they shouldn't have these types of events if there not been a history of hatred/discrimination, but that's not the case.
I dont think Pride day at Disneyland is officially sponsored. I could be totally wrong though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
To answer the first part, I think you'd be surprised at how impactful just having a pride night, or song or gesture can go for someone. The rapper Logic release his song 1-800-273-8255 is the suicide hotline number and they reported significant increases in call volumes after he released his video and his performance at the VMAs. Now a simple Pride night isn't likely to have a massive impact, but I think if it even helps one player to have the courage to go forward with playing his favorite sport despite his sexuality, then I think it's successful.

Now with regards to the players, I'm not sure. Some are probably fine with, some probably aren't. But I haven't heard a single one of our players complain about it.

Now with your last part. Sports are political. Music is political. Movies are political. Always has been and always will be.

Okay but that's a bit of a false equivalency. One guy can represent his own music / brand. An event that's obviously made to supercede an individuals belief nor do they have control over what they can promote or not. I'm sure they're obligated to, and don't want scrutiny.

Why should sports be political ?

The others you listed have people joining who care to create the political content. Movies and music are dependent on the creator and whoever wants to take part. The players don't really have a choice, and it shouldn't be up to people promoting a sport to be involved in social aspects of the world.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Intolerance isn't a political opinion. Having a Pride Night isn't the team taking a political side. There's no justifiable reason for intolerance or discrimination based on sexual orientation to exist within the sport.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Intolerance isn't a political opinion. Having a Pride Night isn't the team taking a political side. There's no justifiable reason for intolerance or discrimination based on sexual orientation to exist within the sport.

It's a stance nonetheless. And what you considered not justified is considered justified to a good chunk of people. I'm not debating whether it's right or wrong, I'm saying it isn't the NHLs place to take a stance.

Just like teams accepting tax payer dollars to promote military at a sporting event. There shouldn't be propaganda in sports.

Its been a good discourse here tho.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kopitar last 15 games. 2 goals 5 assists Minus 14!!!!
Carter last 18 0 goals 4 assists Minus 10
Toffoli last 14 games 1 goal 2 assists Minus 6
Doughty last 20 games 0 goals 11 assists Minus 14!!!

Reactions: Schmooley

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It's clear that there will continuous disagreements about Pride Night so lets move back to talking about the kings.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's clear that there will continuous disagreements about Pride Night so lets move back to talking about the kings.

It was a good talk though. Appreciate it.

Disagreements are a good thing and civility is as well. So I appreciate it. But I do agree, time to move on.

When can we launch Carter into the sun?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kopitar last 15 games. 2 goals 5 assists Minus 14!!!!
Carter last 18 0 goals 4 assists Minus 10
Toffoli last 14 games 1 goal 2 assists Minus 6
Doughty last 20 games 0 goals 11 assists Minus 14!!!

There isn't one singular tank commander on this team. Real group effort.

They definitely played better when Carter was hurt, however. He might be the lynch pin.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Next game is 1pm on Saturday. I want all the games to start at 1pm - regardless of the day. We won’t win another game!

Also, I saw that the last three Bark Madness winners aren’t with the team (Pearson, Dodd and Muzzin). Everyone needs to vote for Phaneuf’s pup.

Wait. The ticker kept saying 12:30 last night. Is it 1 or 12:30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad