Post-Game Talk: GM 7 | Habs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I've said this before and I'll say it again: Benning is not the guy who will take us to the promised land. Never had, never will. And things will never change unless he goes.

Watching us get ventilated defensively against a team with actual speed, skill and depth in the Habs was just a stark reminder of how far we have to go... after 6 years with this guy in charge. That he still has a job is absolutely unbelievable.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I can get behind people roasting Baumgartner because the defense has been a fire drill for years, but what is Green supposed to do with this:

Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Benn, Baertschi, Spooner, Luongo=26 mil in cap or 30% of the cap.

None of them are better than an AHL call up.

That's a 30% disadvantage in the hand that Green gets dealt.

That's like playing with 8 forwards and 4 defenders in a game. Or playing 4v5 all game against a team that's cap neutral (every player roughly worth their cap hit) which coincidentally is what our series against Vegas looked like.

How is a coach supposed to look good with only 70% of a team?

If I were Green, I'd start by not overplaying bad 5v5 players (Motte/Beagle/Sutter) in the top 9 which is far above their station. Or putting him out for an offensive zone faceoff after an icing (lol). Especially with Motte who's clearly his pet and who he tends to give spot duty higher in the lineup. In a shortened season, you might as well ride your top guys like EP and Horvat who are young enough to likely handle it just fine.

Put Miller at 3C so you can at least roll 3 lines that are actually anchored by good ES players. Naturally, this means Gaudette should be given a look on the wing in the top 6. Play the 4th line like 6 mins a game or something (plus whatever PK time they get).

The D he might not be able to do a whole lot about due to lack of options but at least for the forwards those are some things he can do to try and make things better - most of in terms of his usage and deployment. But he hasn't so far and that's on him as a coach due to his failings in recognizing which players should be used more/less.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Torts did and it didnt help.

It doesn’t work if that’s your shtick constantly. Players will tune you out. But once and a while it’s needed. Also 95% Canucks players absolutely loved Torts.
Just recently (I assume because of the PLD drama)

Kevin Bieksa (and he mentioned Sedins) , Eddie Lack, Mike Santorelli etc have come out saying they loved playing for him.

Nov 1, 2011
You know the other side of the debate has nothing to offer when they call you toxic. So predictable:

But Gillis!

Wait and see!

Who could have known!

Hindsight is 20/20!

You are toxic!

Want to have a real discussion? Look at my post history, I'm not a Benning fan!

The reason the discussion is toxic is because they are trying to pigeon hole me as a Benning supporter then going to town on me because IMO, I do not think we should have re-signed Markstrom.

NOTE: this does not mean that I supported signing the Eriksson, Myers, Beagle, etc. contracts.

The reason it's toxic is because someone can't discuss how they feel about Virtanen or Markstrom or Tanev without being bambarded by Eriksson, Myers, blah blah blah.

Guess what, everybody know how everybody feels about Eriksson and we all agree, so bringing it up as a point in a Markstrom discussion is not really helpful to spur on conversation.

Keep whattabouting all you want, it'll make you feel right all the time and I guess that's what you're here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad