GDT: GM#68 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @5:00pm 3/9/19

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I got to say, crazy props to people on here following the game thread closely and complaining about calls against the Kings. I used to do it when I was younger, but just could never in a million years get into a team in this situation.

Aw hell, I have way more time now that I am older to pay attention to Kings games. When I was younger I had way more nights at the bar after games and less complaining about calls on here.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Aw hell, I have way more time now that I am older to pay attention to Kings games. When I was younger I had way more nights at the bar after games and less complaining about calls on here.
lol, agreed. also, theres something captivating about seeing a team at it's very bottom. we're all just hoping it doesn't last too long.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Who would have ever guessed the disparity between the Vets and Young players would be this noticeable.

These vets make so much money but they're making the Kings lose. And they're doing nothing, and what's worse they're contributing to the other teams goals. Lack of effort and care by the vets... It hurts even more when you see the kids with limited ice time producing much more and giving a f***.

I mean I get age, but wow to not try all season and getting paid that much?

So embarrassing.

As a person with dignity, I can't imagine playing so badly as the vets are. What bad role models. How can you mail in the season when you're making more money than 10 nhl rookies combined. How can you honestly sleep easy at night knowing that with all that responsibility... You do ZERO

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Lewis was an embarrassment to watch tonight. I'm still not sure what he was doing laying on the ice for goal 3, but the puck went off his skate right onto the stick of the scorer.

Lewis has no business on an NHL roster in the current NHL. The Kings are like a union crew, they all know they have seniority, they all know they have protection and are simply punching the clock, going home and checking their bank accounts. I don't even need to check Lewis' numbers, my eye balls see a player who has lost a full 2 steps and looks almost as weak physically as Toffoli-almost. I know the argument will always be 4th liners don't need to score goals but god damn at least be good defensively, tenacious on the puck, tough to play against and keep the puck put of the net. The bottom 6 on a losing team should be all kids, let them fly around.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I love seeing Grundstrom get 13 minutes last night. But what has he done in the AHL that Amadio, Brodzinski or Luff haven't? These are all guys that have shown they can score at a point per game down there but you're not going to see them get handed that much ice time by WD.

Last night Lewis played 16:19, Toffoli played 17:17 and Clifford got 13:29.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They were 5 points out after 54 games. 14 games later, they're 18 points out. Not that they ever actually had enough from the top to pull them, or from the depth to push them, into the race, but for this whole thing to snowball, where nobody can seem to stop it. There was no reason for the win against the Hawks, and to keep Kane to 0 points. Outscored 11-3 since then.

Some bad rosters over the years for the Kings, but there's little doubt this is the worst team they've had in a while. Right now, they're a -57. Have to go back to 85-86 to get a worse goal differential. Only a seriously bad Detroit team kept the Kings from being the worst in the league that year. Ended up with Carson in the draft. The right pick, at least for a little while. Over the long term, Damphousse would've been better. Certainly Leetch, who was taken 9th.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I love seeing Grundstrom get 13 minutes last night. But what has he done in the AHL that Amadio, Brodzinski or Luff haven't? These are all guys that have shown they can score at a point per game down there but you're not going to see them get handed that much ice time by WD.

Last night Lewis played 16:19, and Toffoli played 17:17.

Took a couple games for all the others, but Amadio, Brodzinski, Luff, and Wagner have all gotten games where they played 11, 12, 13 minutes. Luff got one with 16. It just doesn't last, and there end up being more sub-10 minute games than not. You do not want to be the 12th forward for WD. Sometimes even the 11th guy doesn't play, but the 12th guy might as well be scratched. And yes, the 12th guy will most likely be a young player, not the vet that most coaches will always give the benefit of the doubt to.

Another one; why are Kopitar and Brown killing 4+ minutes of penalties? They're 30th in PK since WD got the job, so why? PK is all about effort, so if he's trying to punish and embarrass them publicly, that's fine. If he's doing anything else, why not just let every 2 forwards PK? Whoever the next 2 are that haven't done it yet, throw them out there. Doesn't matter who it is, what position they play, just throw them out there. Again, unless he's trying to shame specific players, which would at least be cathartic for fans.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Took a couple games for all the others, but Amadio, Brodzinski, Luff, and Wagner have all gotten games where they played 11, 12, 13 minutes. Luff got one with 16. It just doesn't last, and there end up being more sub-10 minute games than not. You do not want to be the 12th forward for WD. Sometimes even the 11th guy doesn't play, but the 12th guy might as well be scratched. And yes, the 12th guy will most likely be a young player, not the vet that most coaches will always give the benefit of the doubt to.
Like you said they didn't get that much time right off the bat, and I have a feeling Grundstrom is going to consistently get decent ice time (which I'm not complaining about). If my suspicion is true, he will be given more of an opportunity than the aforementioned.

Part of the problem is having guys like Toffoli and Lewis in the lineup. They take up ice time from other players I'd like to see get more.

Another one; why are Kopitar and Brown killing 4+ minutes of penalties? They're 30th in PK since WD got the job, so why? PK is all about effort, so if he's trying to punish and embarrass them publicly, that's fine. If he's doing anything else, why not just let every 2 forwards PK? Whoever the next 2 are that haven't done it yet, throw them out there. Doesn't matter who it is, what position they play, just throw them out there. Again, unless he's trying to shame specific players, which would at least be cathartic for fans.
I've been complaining about this for years. Using your most important offensive players in this way is a waste. It's inefficient. Maybe it makes more sense when these guys are in their 20's but they're 31 and 34 now.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

There is too much salary clogging the roster on bad players to leave ice time for any prospect. Statements about earning ice are BS lies to cover up for the fatal cap construction issues. You argue yourself for fans to not expect prospects to get elevated minutes. The reasons are purely fiscal / PR related.

As long as the Kings are paying a collective $31m / yr for the healthy services of Kopitar, Kovy, Brown, Carter and Toffoli, there will be few opportunities for prospects to shine. It’s basically impossible to get rid of them, there’s no sure bet prospects around to spin their demotions into a positive. I’m convinced BLuc are too stupid to figure out most real, die hard Kings fans would rather watch Amadio go scoreless for 10 games in a meaningless season than Jeff Carter. More likely, they don’t care and are betting their stupid jobs and our franchise on the lottery ball coming up for us first.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Lol, Kempe calling out the vets for being lazy:

Kempe, on what introducing new guys does for the chemistry of the team:
I think it’s a good experience for them and we need our younger guys, including me, to push older guys to get better every day, starting at practice and in games as well. We’ve had a lot of young guys this year, and we’ve been doing a pretty good job, so we’ve got to keep pushing for the rest of the year.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Who gets the most ice time last game of the season? Kopitar, Brown or Kempe?

I’m rooting for Adrian

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Lol, Kempe calling out the vets for being lazy:

Kempe, on what introducing new guys does for the chemistry of the team:
I think it’s a good experience for them and we need our younger guys, including me, to push older guys to get better every day, starting at practice and in games as well. We’ve had a lot of young guys this year, and we’ve been doing a pretty good job, so we’ve got to keep pushing for the rest of the year.
Yeah, Kempe isn't wrong.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
This dumb ****

Oh Willie, you f***stick.

giphy.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why Leipsic, of all players, to be benched?

Why have 7D, further limiting the minutes the defense played, and having fewer forwards? With those fewer forwards, will the younger players actually be played, or will Kopitar, Brown, etc be double shifted into the mid-20 minutes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->