GDT: GM#65 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks @1:00pm 3/2/19

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
How?! We’ve won like 1 of 11.
Plus 3 OT/SO games. Kings have earned 5pts in their last 10 games. Meanwhile Ottawa is 1-9 in their last 10. Detroit is 2-6-2(Current 4 game regulation losing streak). Anaheim 3-7(Current 5 game losing streak). When the Kings DO win or get OT/SO points, their timing is awful as they are earning them while these other teams are losing.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Hard to believe that there are teams worse than LA.

The Ducks were for almost 30 games. They went what, 5-25, include 3 very long losing streaks[ currently on a 5'r right now]. They're where they are because of their good start an somehow can live off those early points.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
One of the reasons he was waived in vancouver was the leipsic special--skates out of his zone, gains the blueline, tries to dangle and falls down. He's definitely done that more than once here. But on this roster, that's a rare talent, and he's absolutely minimized that--maybe because he plays more and thus could get into a rhythm, maybe he's started to figure out this level with more playing time, whatever, but he just keeps getting better.

He did that yesterday vs the Hawks. :laugh:

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Ducks were for almost 30 games. They went what, 5-25, include 3 very long losing streaks[ currently on a 5'r right now]. They're where they are because of their good start an somehow can live off those early points.

The Kings season has been so bad it's almost impossible to enjoy or pay any attention to the gaping black hole that is the Anaheim Ducks.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The wins are meaningless at this point in the season. I don't expect them to lose every game.

I am just pointing out the odds.

The odds are tough to really gauge but we won't whiff the draft even if we are drafting 4th or 5th. There are several really good forwards and a Top 2 Defenseman in the the Top 10. With the way teams scout and with the amount of information out there nowadays on prospects, the "Bust" is not as common in terms of drafting a guy and have him just be terrible. Sure, you may miss an All Star and end up with a guy who is at best a Top 6 but none of the common names being mentioned are going to be less than a Top 6. I just as happy to have 3 picks in the first 35-36.

I think people are way too hung up on it being only a Hughes or Kakko draft. There are some solid players there and we will get one. I am just as interested to see who drops to our 2nd pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings move a 3rd along with their 1st to jump up if they see a guy they like.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The odds are tough to really gauge but we won't whiff the draft even if we are drafting 4th or 5th. There are several really good forwards and a Top 2 Defenseman in the the Top 10. With the way teams scout and with the amount of information out there nowadays on prospects, the "Bust" is not as common in terms of drafting a guy and have him just be terrible. Sure, you may miss an All Star and end up with a guy who is at best a Top 6 but none of the common names being mentioned are going to be less than a Top 6. I just as happy to have 3 picks in the first 35-36.

I think people are way too hung up on it being only a Hughes or Kakko draft. There are some solid players there and we will get one. I am just as interested to see who drops to our 2nd pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings move a 3rd along with their 1st to jump up if they see a guy they like.

While I agree the draft is a lot more than Hughes vs. Kakko, I wouldn't say you can't whiff on a 4th - 7th overall pick since the Kings took Hickey in 2007

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
While I agree the draft is a lot more than Hughes vs. Kakko, I wouldn't say you can't whiff on a 4th - 7th overall pick since the Kings took Hickey in 2007

That's 12 years ago though. The draft has evolved and the evaluations have been significantly improved to where you see less of the bust factor. It can happen but in all sports, the top picks are almost over-evaluated and scouting is less "Boots on the ground," and technology has become a significant factor. Teams have so many information sources to draw from.

I can go even further back on draft busts than Hickey. I can still remember sitting at my computer when they picked Jens Karlsson and ripping through my notes because the guy wasn't even ranked in the CSB Top 25 of European Skaters. The Kings were so bad for so long with first round picks that it was just comical. It's like a horror story of guys: Grebeshkov, Tambellini, Tukonen, Steckel, Biron, Teubert etc. I can see why fans are wary. I have been following their drafts since the early 90's and there have been a lot more misses than hits with early picks.

Reactions: crassbonanza

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

It's funny how many continue to rail on DL for picking Teubert [ even though they got Doughty and Voynov in that draft], yet you rarely hear about the MAJOR whiff on Hickey with the 4th pick. He even waived him only to get picked up by the Isles. Never played a single game as a King.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's funny how many continue to rail on DL for picking Teubert [ even though they got Doughty and Voynov in that draft], yet you rarely hear about the MAJOR whiff on Hickey with the 4th pick. He even waived him only to get picked up by the Isles. Never played a single game as a King.

The funny thing about that is the reason he took Teubert over Karlsson, as the Kings scouting staff advised, was that he had selected Hickey the season before. With Hickey and Doughty as puck moving prospects, he wanted a bruiser on the blue line.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The funny thing about that is the reason he took Teubert over Karlsson, as the Kings scouting staff advised, was that he had selected Hickey the season before. With Hickey and Doughty as puck moving prospects, he wanted a bruiser on the blue line.

Yup, a buddy and me spoke with Lombardi outside TSC during 2008 development camp. My buddy asked him, straight up, "So did you think we were soft as a team last season?"

Lombardi let out an exasperated sigh and said "That's why we drafted Colten Teubert"

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, they wanted a Matt Greene 2.0, and never saw that the league was about to change.That's the risk you take when you go for need. Even if they took Karlsson, I don't think he'd have been the same guy he was in OTT. The Kings would've demanded structure in his game and made him play defense. Still, in the end, Teubert helped us get Penner who was a huge part in winning the cup.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Because Hickey atleast had a valuable skillset, I'd rather strike out swinging for the fences than strike out bunting for a 3rd pairing d-man, which they did with Teubert (the worst pick in franchise history)

Also there was no Erik Karlsson taken right after Hickey. The best players taken shortly after were Alzer, Couture and Voracek. That factors in as well.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Because Hickey atleast had a valuable skillset, I'd rather strike out swinging for the fences than strike out bunting for a 3rd pairing d-man, which they did with Teubert (the worst pick in franchise history)

Also there was no Erik Karlsson taken right after Hickey. The best players taken shortly after were Alzer, Couture and Voracek. That factors in as well.

Hickey may have had a skillset of value, but that same skillset got him waived. They thought he was too small and never impressed Sutter one bit. He was the 1st official pick under DL [after he fired the old staff] and never saw a game as a King after being taken 4th overall. If that's not a bust, I don't know what is. They felt he had the bigger upside than Alzner, yet Alzner played right away for the Caps and has close to 700 games now. I see the swinging for the fences with Teubert way more than Hickey, but that the chance you take sometimes at the draft. We've all become very greedy of that draft the way it played out and what could've beens, the same way we now are complaining about the 2015 draft and the picks we traded.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hickey may have had a skillset of value, but that same skillset got him waived. They thought he was too small and never impressed Sutter one bit. He was the 1st official pick under DL [after he fired the old staff] and never saw a game as a King after being taken 4th overall. If that's not a bust, I don't know what is. They felt he had the bigger upside than Alzner, yet Alzner played right away for the Caps and has close to 700 games now. I see the swinging for the fences with Teubert way more than Hickey, but that the chance you take sometimes at the draft. We've all become very greedy of that draft the way it played out and what could've beens, the same way we now are complaining about the 2015 draft and the picks we traded.

And yet, Hickey has almost as many points in 3 fewer seasons, and Alzner is a cap dump.

He had some set backs with injuries, the same way the Kings were able to get Muzzin.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When DL first came to the Kings he was all about skating and the "new" NHL. That's why he overrated Hickey; because of his skating.

It's not a coincidence that Lewis was picked also (yes that's a DL pick). Skating was also considered one of Lewis's best attributes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad