GDT: GM#63 LA Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes @4:00pm 2/26/19

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
No way WD is coming back after this season. He's just a placeholder for now. AKA tank commander.

But...but...Luc said in an interview (after he sent the letter out) when asked about who is coach next year...and he said "Willie has shown he is a candidate" (or something like that)
Anyone have the quote?

And 77 must be off the team. I missed the first period of tonight's game, but he was a shell again when I saw him. Zero shots again and he's now de-elevated Kovy's game. Kovy was going good for awhile and Carter returns and they put Kovy with him and he's not done much...77 cannot get him the puck. And now lost 6 in a row since he came back. Try to do this - imagine Carter on the TBL...playing with Kucherov. He would bring Kucherov down - not being able to skate with him - not being to able to get him the puck - just coasting around the rink and have zero ability to be part of a fast, fluid, dynamic offensive machine. Carter can no longer make cuts and is theeeeee most North-South in the NHL. He's easy to play against. Easy to defend. And the PP and PK suck with him. #1 PRIORITY. Get him off the team. It will NEVER be even a .500 team with him. It's like dressing an ECHL player for your #2 center and expecting to have good results? How? is he that bad?? YES. Watch him only next game. Eyes be opened!

But...but...we have no second line center to replace him! BS. Anyone is better. Just put Amadio in there or Kempe there. 2019-20 will have to have a #2 NHL center. Priority #2 after the right coach.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At what point does Quick lose the starting job?

It's gotta be close to that point.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
F-ing WD doesn't challenge the obvious interference, then challenges one later in the game that wasn't even close after the puck went in. Total incompetence by any Kings coach I can remember.

In a season full of low points, this has to be the most cringeworthy moments I've seen.

In reference to not challenging the first goal, Quick was more lit than being drunk on stage with the mic after the parade.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Disagree.You dont just mismanage assets.

That's fine. Every player under contract is an 'asset'. But Carter's asset value is about the same as Phaneuf's.
It's a negative asset. I think it's now 60/40 he plays this coming season; 19-20 and 50/50 he finishes next year.
So, even if he slightly miraculously rebounds somewhat, he's still a negative asset, as the last 2 years he won't be playing,
unless he's 'Moulsened' and playing AHL.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
We are managing cap space and money more than assets in the current NHL. So, is Kopitar better than Clifford? Not at 10 while Cliffy is at 1.6. We could have two more forwards at 4 and one at 2, which if even one of them plays at Kopitar’s deflated level, we are ahead of the game. Same with Drew going forward. Drew does not have an even strength goal this year last I looked. Even a beer league guy could get lucky once? Drew gets points because he gets to stand at the top of the PP and rotate the puck around. Put Forbort out there to do the rotation, and he’d have more points also.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
We are managing cap space and money more than assets in the current NHL. So, is Kopitar better than Clifford? Not at 10 while Cliffy is at 1.6. We could have two more forwards at 4 and one at 2, which if even one of them plays at Kopitar’s deflated level, we are ahead of the game. Same with Drew going forward. Drew does not have an even strength goal this year last I looked. Even a beer league guy could get lucky once? Drew gets points because he gets to stand at the top of the PP and rotate the puck around. Put Forbort out there to do the rotation, and he’d have more points also.

I would go full rebuild and try to deal Kopitar and Doughty. 10 million dollar 1C should have 5+ PP goals M.I.N.I.M.U.M. by now...NOT ZERO. Kopi has ZERO passion, urgency, accountability. no real physical play, perimeter player, does not go to net or shoot the puck...and has lost 1.5 steps from just one year. It's scary to think what his skating will look like in 3 years. And #1 defensemen about to get 11 million dollars, should score a frigging even strength goal..(he has the same even strength goals as you and I do: ZERO)..and not be minus 25. (yes, DD now minus 25, but thankfully, "playing he's good hockey". glad to know that!) and BOTH not taking ANY BLAME for their poor play, or piss poor sukkkazzz team.

Get 3 assets for both - with their salaries, would have to take back one 6+ million contract - so what?
Get 3 assets WORTH more than these 2...especially going forward.
NEW PREDICTION! #1 complaint on this board, just 2 years from now "how can we get out of the Kopitar and Doughty contracts??" and the answers will be "SHOULDA DONE IT IN 2018-19. I will archive this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Elvis

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Haven't looked through all these pages but jesus is Dion just terrible. I actually agreed that there should have been a challenge on the first goal as it was Dion who pushed the Canes player into Quick. He should have had his assed benched for that but instead he played more and then I forget who he crossed checked into the boards (Svechnikov I think). Carolina should have tooled in Phaneuf.
Likewise on the goal where LA did challenge LA should have gone after the schmuck who hit Quick there

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Phaneuf was even during this game. Kopitar was -3. What is his deal this year? He getting laid 10 million. If I was getting paid even 1/10th of that I will be laying down to block shots if I wasn’t scoring.

Being a Kings fan since 92, this is one of the most frustrating seasons ever. I would rather be Ottawa with a complete rebuild. Kings still have old players spread through the line up.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Phaneuf was even during this game. Kopitar was -3. What is his deal this year? He getting laid 10 million. If I was getting paid even 1/10th of that I will be laying down to block shots if I wasn’t scoring.

Being a Kings fan since 92, this is one of the most frustrating seasons ever. I would rather be Ottawa with a complete rebuild. Kings still have old players spread through the line up.

I agree with this being one of the most frustrating seasons but in no way would I rather be a Sens fan. They have a first and 2 seconds in this draft and I would rather have two firsts and one second. They have a lot of picks in 2020 but LA could yet as well.

The prospects I like on their team are Chabot (if he is even a prospect), Brannstrom, Brown, Tkachuk and White. Not bad at all but the issue is the team around that is a dumpster fire. They have zero goalie prospects and I do not think they have a true number one right now either.

LA has Kupari, Grundstrom, JAD, Vilardi and Peterson. I really like what Kupari can bring. The list may not be as high end as Ottawa but the difference is LA should not have as many dead beats around them as ottawa plus there is a future in net, a top 5 pick in this years draft plus one more draft pick,

I would definitely take LA over Ottawa and that is not even bringing in the wing nut owner and the drama that goes on in Canada's capital

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I would go full rebuild and try to deal Kopitar and Doughty. 10 million dollar 1C should have 5+ PP goals M.I.N.I.M.U.M. by now...NOT ZERO. Kopi has ZERO passion, urgency, accountability. no real physical play, perimeter player, does not go to net or shoot the puck...and has lost 1.5 steps from just one year. It's scary to think what his skating will look like in 3 years. And #1 defensemen about to get 11 million dollars, should score a frigging even strength goal..(he has the same even strength goals as you and I do: ZERO)..and not be minus 25. (yes, DD now minus 25, but thankfully, "playing he's good hockey". glad to know that!) and BOTH not taking ANY BLAME for their poor play, or piss poor sukkkazzz team.

Get 3 assets for both - with their salaries, would have to take back one 6+ million contract - so what?

The first paragraph does not equal the second. If they're that bad, especially Kopitar, why would anyone give you 3 assets for them? Why would anyone give them 1 asset? Are you just ranting, or trying to make sense?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree with this being one of the most frustrating seasons but in no way would I rather be a Sens fan. They have a first and 2 seconds in this draft and I would rather have two firsts and one second. They have a lot of picks in 2020 but LA could yet as well.

The prospects I like on their team are Chabot (if he is even a prospect), Brannstrom, Brown, Tkachuk and White. Not bad at all but the issue is the team around that is a dumpster fire. They have zero goalie prospects and I do not think they have a true number one right now either.

LA has Kupari, Grundstrom, JAD, Vilardi and Peterson. I really like what Kupari can bring. The list may not be as high end as Ottawa but the difference is LA should not have as many dead beats around them as ottawa plus there is a future in net, a top 5 pick in this years draft plus one more draft pick,

I would definitely take LA over Ottawa and that is not even bringing in the wing nut owner and the drama that goes on in Canada's capital

Ottawa's major issue is the organization itself.

They have some great young assets, yet the fans are apprehensive that once it's time to pay them, they're gone. In one year they've lost Erik Karlsson, Mark Stone, Turris, Duchene, Dzingel, the possibly-first-overall-pick and the best piece they've gotten back is probably Brannstrom.

Reactions: YP44

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

NEW PREDICTION! #1 complaint on this board, just 2 years from now "how can we get out of the Kopitar and Doughty contracts??" and the answers will be "SHOULDA DONE IT IN 2018-19. I will archive this post.
Wait, you meant shots right? I am pretty sure he has surpassed 5 shots on the power play this season. You can't expect him to do better than that when the system requires him to stay on the half wall during every power play.

No GM is giving the Kings anything for Kopitar at this point. Maybe, if the Kings retained 50% of his salary.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Wait, you meant shots right? I am pretty sure he has surpassed 5 shots on the power play this season. You can't expect him to do better than that when the system requires him to stay on the half wall during every power play.

No GM is giving the Kings anything for Kopitar at this point. Maybe, if the Kings retained 50% of his salary.

No, if you're a 12 million (12 million this year) 1c and have 0 PPGs, while getting #1 PP minutes, you are a failure on the PP. He has 0 PP goals in 62 games.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad