GDT: GM 6 | Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Mini Series (1-0 Van)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Guess I missed the PGT. Oh well. Thoughts from that:

--Toffoli had a hat trick in his first game back. Because of course he did. Madden and that draft pick looking good right now...

--Price with a very uncharacteristically porous night. Can't expect that to continue.

--Much like the Canucks' PP. You knew that wasn't going to stay dead, even with Pettersson still in a funk. Seriously, he must have just gotten dumped by his girlfriend or something. He's really off. But I still have full confidence he'll be back to business soon enough. Slumps happen to everyone; he'll pop in a goal or get a lucky bounce somewhere, then he'll start having 3 and 4 point games right after. It'll happen. Not worried about him at all.

--Hughes on the other hand...rough night. Instantly and unfairly over-relied upon in the zombie movie casting call that is our back end. Needs help badly from a competent partner. Just give him a night or two with Schmidt as his RD and give the kid a break. Not as if there's a better option right now...

--...although Chatfield was surprisingly not terrible. For an AHL dman (and not a particularly good one) he did okay.

--Missing Edler will hurt.

--Missing Hamonic won't.

--Missing Juolevi will be the same as it always has been.

--Weird, weird game. Very preseason.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Play Schmidt 25 minutes a night, he’s the only dman on this team who actually defends at the blueline instead of just willingly giving it up. Thank God we stole him

Toffoli might score 30 this year with all of these games against the Canucks

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Habs fan here. Good game last night guys. Can you let us get the extra point tonight?

Some thoughts - note that I nodded off a few times during the game. Fell asleep right before the OT.
  • Compared to EDM you guys play more north south and less east west
  • Habs had less room to skate and use their speed compared to EDM
  • Ice seemed bad last night, looked like puck was always bouncing would not settle down
  • Your PP is fine, we have to stop taking stupid penalties.
Bring on Game 2

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Guess I missed the PGT. Oh well. Thoughts from that:

--Toffoli had a hat trick in his first game back. Because of course he did. Madden and that draft pick looking good right now...

--Price with a very uncharacteristically porous night. Can't expect that to continue.

--Much like the Canucks' PP. You knew that wasn't going to stay dead, even with Pettersson still in a funk. Seriously, he must have just gotten dumped by his girlfriend or something. He's really off. But I still have full confidence he'll be back to business soon enough. Slumps happen to everyone; he'll pop in a goal or get a lucky bounce somewhere, then he'll start having 3 and 4 point games right after. It'll happen. Not worried about him at all.

--Hughes on the other hand...rough night. Instantly and unfairly over-relied upon in the zombie movie casting call that is our back end. Needs help badly from a competent partner. Just give him a night or two with Schmidt as his RD and give the kid a break. Not as if there's a better option right now...

--...although Chatfield was surprisingly not terrible. For an AHL dman (and not a particularly good one) he did okay.

--Missing Edler will hurt.

--Missing Hamonic won't.

--Missing Juolevi will be the same as it always has been.

--Weird, weird game. Very preseason.

We need to trade for one.

I hear there is a guy in Calgary, heart and soul, great at PK and apparently has partnered with Hughes very successfully in the past.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Picture of Pettersson after Canucks win last night. Guys confidence is shot he needs a goal in the worse way possible.

image0.jpg

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Chatfield is better than Hamonic
Schmidt is better than Edler
What will our pairings be tonight? Who are the RSD? Myers, Chatfield, and Benn?
Schmidt ?
Hughes ?
Juiolevi ?

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
This team’s defensive play is getting very tiresome. I was hoping to see some progress after the playoffs but am beginning to worry.

I like Green as a head coach as he seems to be a good leader and handles the players and the media well, which are all important for the head coach. But this system needs to change or they need to bring in someone who can coach defence. It’s not all on the players. Their positioning is often atrocious and are therefore a step behind or unsure what to do. That is down to coaching as much or more than it is to the players. I’d be in favour of replacing Baumgartner with a more experienced NHL coach. They came up together and there is probably some loyalty issues there but my god this can’t go on.

at this point I’m just crossing my fingers this only a small sample after no preseason but I’m not that confident they’ll improve much. Silver lining of losing Markstrom might be that it finally makes them realise they need to make some changes there.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well turned in after the second last night after a long day. No idea what went on in the 3rd but I do know that giving up 5 goals a game isn't going to translate into too many wins. Win or not last night they best pick up the defensive play.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
This team’s defensive play is getting very tiresome. I was hoping to see some progress after the playoffs but am beginning to worry.

I like Green as a head coach as he seems to be a good leader and handles the players and the media well, which are all important for the head coach. But this system needs to change or they need to bring in someone who can coach defence. It’s not all on the players. Their positioning is often atrocious and are therefore a step behind or unsure what to do. That is down to coaching as much or more than it is to the players. I’d be in favour of replacing Baumgartner with a more experienced NHL coach. They came up together and there is probably some loyalty issues there but my god this can’t go on.

at this point I’m just crossing my fingers this only a small sample after no preseason but I’m not that confident they’ll improve much. Silver lining of losing Markstrom might be that it finally makes them realise they need to make some changes there.

Seeing a team like EDM pitch a perfect defensive game with a worse D-core really makes me feel like although the personnel isn't great a huge part of our defensive struggles falls onto Green's putrid system.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if it's been mentioned but there is something about the Canucks letting a goal in the within the last few seconds of a period. It almost happened again last game with Gallagher's excellent opportunity on net forcing Holtby to make a great save. It's as if the team collectively loses focus or something like that. It's hard to explain

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Habs fan here. Good game last night guys. Can you let us get the extra point tonight?

Some thoughts - note that I nodded off a few times during the game. Fell asleep right before the OT.
  • Compared to EDM you guys play more north south and less east west
  • Habs had less room to skate and use their speed compared to EDM
  • Ice seemed bad last night, looked like puck was always bouncing would not settle down
  • Your PP is fine, we have to stop taking stupid penalties.
Bring on Game 2

Thanks for the second party feed back. I wish I could give some on Montreal, but I was so fixed on our team based on how miserably we have played lately that its all encompassing.

Our main problem is poor defensive choices, a lack of a proper defensive system, and a bad penalty kill. This year we don't have Markstrom playing Vezna caliber hockey to pick up the slack. We aren't going to score that much on Price every night, it simply won't happen. So we need to clean things up.

Our secondary problem? Pettersson is snake bitten. That was his best game so far, and he didn't get any points. That guy needs to get going.

I wish I could say good luck tonight, but we need the points more than you do right now ;)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I agree. This team has always outscored our problems to be successful, team defense has always been a bit of an issue. I feel it is more glaring this year for a couple of reasons: 1) No pre-season, so really it's probably worse then it otherwise should be, 2) we are getting average goaltending, not Vezna quality goaltending like we have the last two seasons, and 3) our power play has not been working and hence outscoring our problems wasn't possible.

We really need to figure out a better plan for team defense. Our main problem in my mind is not a lack of ability, it's that players seem to be out of position and fumbling their assignments. That should be fixed with better coaching, but I'm not seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad