Post-Game Talk: GM 54 | Flames def. Canucks - 5-4 (OT) (Boeser x2, Miller, Graovac)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lack of real playing time is why he can't skate? I realized the drop off in our team after simply trading Jordie Benn. He have been better than Edler and Juolevi. We're better off signing Kevin Connauton for 3rd pairing duty.
Hey look, GN finally turning the corner and coming around to the idea that we need cheap, capable players filling the bottom of the roster like Connautaun, Dowd, Graovac types instead of pigeonholing bad young players or overpaying for vets.

LFG!!!

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
We joke a lot about them winning meaningless games but seriously I won’t blame them for playing to win.
Blame the management for putting the team in such a shitty condition.

I'm not sure if this is a good analogy; but it's like asking someone who has never cheated, to cheat; and cheat themselves.

Nope, poor analogy.

*insert own better analogy*

It's not right to ask someone to not play a game as good as they can - unless it's first-time checkers against your 6 year old daughter..

Still poor... ;)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hey look, GN finally turning the corner and coming around to the idea that we need cheap, capable players filling the bottom of the roster like Connautaun, Dowd, Graovac types instead of pigeonholing bad young players or overpaying for vets.

LFG!!!
Vegas lost to Minnesota in game 1. I don't think this team is far from winning a Cup. We don't have cap issues the problem is the injuries/allegations wiped out everybody in the bottom 6. This team got thrown on it's head but it's not a hard problem to fix. It's literally just the bottom 6 and a couple defensive people.

Juolevi obviously is no Benn or Rathbone. I don't care if he stays or is gone, but he needs to be the #4/5 LD.

Beagle + Sutter >> Boyd + Graovac
Roussel + Virtanen >> Hawryluk + Vesey
Motte >>

Young up and comers like Gadjovich shouldn't be playing next to Graovac in the NHL, maybe in the AHL.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Vegas lost to Minnesota in game 1. I don't think this team is far from winning a Cup. We don't have cap issues the problem is the injuries/allegations wiped out everybody in the bottom 6. This team got thrown on it's head but it's not a hard problem to fix. It's literally just the bottom 6 and a couple defensive people.

Juolevi obviously is no Benn or Rathbone. I don't care if he stays or is gone, but he needs to be the #4/5 LD.

Motte >>

Young up and comers like Gadjovich shouldn't be playing next to Graovac in the NHL, maybe in the AHL.
tenor.gif

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
You don't get it. Don't you see JT Miller and Bo Horvat killing penalties? Who was doing that in game 1 of the regular season? They got nothing left on offence after killing 6-7 penalties. They aren't Toews/Bergeron.
I'm not sure my friend...

I was looking for you to parachute in, or something kooky. ;)

But I appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Motte >>

I don’t agree whatsoever when it comes to the defense being close to complete. I think it’s three players away and two of those have to be damn good ones.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don’t agree whatsoever when it comes to the defense being close to complete. I think it’s three players away and two of those have to be damn good ones.
Yep. Defense is the biggest concern right now and it's not even close for me.

Reactions: Peen

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Biggest takeaway from this one is how bad Joulevi looked. The same problems that have cropped up throughout his years since the draft were on display tonight They include:

- getting easily bumped off the puck deep in his end with him often falling to the ice
- getting beat wide because of his clunky feet
- backing in on everything because of fear of getting beat wide (at one point backing up right behind the goal line)
- despite backing off, not getting to the puck quick enough to make a play and having to throw the puck around the boards unloading his problems on to someone else
- losing his check in his end and standing around

I've said play him so we can assess him. And this game contributes to that assessment. And I'd say right now he is miserably failing.

There have been so many, over the years, who out of hope Joulevi can be player or who get miffed that someone might have done better than us in the draft, that are willing to make constant excuses and alibis for this player. If he makes a pass that your ordinary NHL defenseman makes 10 times a game they are praising it to the heavens. If he has a few ordinary shifts were he doesn't screw up too much they are saying how steady he is. Few, seemingly, want to accept the reality that this player, at this point, is an absolute bust. There is nothing he has done since he was drafted that indicates that he close to NHL material. I watched him in Utica and honestly he wasn't much good there either. He lost out to Rafferty on the power play and often have huge problems defensively. He just hasn't in any way shown he is NHL material.

Hughes's game was sort of microcosm of his season. Brilliant at times offensive but also some rough shifts in his end. Times in the third when he just went to another level. Continues to be someone to get excited about even given a very difficult season defensively.

Gadjovich never got a chance to show anything. Did ok in the fight but probably should have re-thunk getting into it. Fear that he will be taken in the ED are IMO way overblown. Seattle will know about his skating.

Graovac is making a case for a good look next year. Should be tried on the PK. If he can do that he should move ahead of Beagle.

Boyd looking increasing suspect defensively. Questionable whether the team should bring him back. Would only be on a two way.

Vesey had an excellent game and actually looked talented. You wonder if he has any future with the team. Again on a two way maybe - he is someone who would star in Abbotsford.

TANK is never safe with this team. You sometimes get your hopes up but then always get harpooned by this bunch. In this game Calgary just tried to fatten their stats in the third and forgot about defense leaving Markstrom on his own. One of the chief culprit was Tkachuk, who, despite being a hugely better choice than Joulevi, is not near living up to the bucks the Flames are paying him.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
We joke a lot about them winning meaningless games but seriously I won’t blame them for playing to win.
Blame the management for putting the team in such a shitty condition.
Exactly. The bottom of the roster are generally playing for their careers. Last thing they care or want is some high-pick taking their spot next season. The top end of the roster know they are stuck on this team for next season so they want to limit the bad vibes as much as they can, hence "Play for Pride!".

Players aren't getting Canuck logos tattoo'd on their bodies. Only the fans.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I didn’t watch beyond the 2-0 goal...just no point.

But I implore people not to put much stock in Garbage time play. There is no heart and grit being shown that has any impact on next season. They are not close to being a Stanley cup contender because they came back in a game (they will finish below 0.500 yet again). The blue line isn’t nearly complete because they can trot out a couple of younger players that in normal organizations are buried in the depth chart. Ditto for up front.

This is a bad team doing bad team things for the bulk of 7 years now.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Biggest takeaway from this one is how bad Joulevi looked. The same problems that have cropped up throughout his years since the draft were on display tonight They include:

- getting easily bumped off the puck deep in his end with him often falling to the ice
- getting beat wide because of his clunky feet
- backing in on everything because of fear of getting beat wide (at one point backing up right behind the goal line)
- despite backing off, not getting to the puck quick enough to make a play and having to throw the puck around the boards unloading his problems on to someone else
- losing his check in his end and standing around

I've said play him so we can assess him. And this game contributes to that assessment. And I'd say right now he is miserably failing.

There have been so many, over the years, who out of hope Joulevi can be player or who get miffed that someone might have done better than us in the draft, that are willing to make constant excuses and alibis for this player. If he makes a pass that your ordinary NHL defenseman makes 10 times a game they are praising it to the heavens. If he has a few ordinary shifts were he doesn't screw up too much they are saying how steady he is. Few, seemingly, want to accept the reality that this player, at this point, is an absolute bust. There is nothing he has done since he was drafted that indicates that he close to NHL material. I watched him in Utica and honestly he wasn't much good there either. He lost out to Rafferty on the power play and often have huge problems defensively. He just hasn't in any way shown he is NHL material.

Hughes's game was sort of microcosm of his season. Brilliant at times offensive but also some rough shifts in his end. Times in the third when he just went to another level. Continues to be someone to get excited about even given a very difficult season defensively.

Gadjovich never got a chance to show anything. Did ok in the fight but probably should have re-thunk getting into it. Fear that he will be taken in the ED are IMO way overblown. Seattle will know about his skating.

Graovac is making a case for a good look next year. Should be tried on the PK. If he can do that he should move ahead of Beagle.

Boyd looking increasing suspect defensively. Questionable whether the team should bring him back. Would only be on a two way.

Vesey had an excellent game and actually looked talented. You wonder if he has any future with the team. Again on a two way maybe - he is someone who would star in Abbotsford.

TANK is never safe with this team. You sometimes get your hopes up but then always get harpooned by this bunch. In this game Calgary just tried to fatten their stats in the third and forgot about defense leaving Markstrom on his own. One of the chief culprit was Tkachuk, who, despite being a hugely better choice than Joulevi, is not near living up to the bucks the Flames are paying him.

OJ has been such a disappointment. At this point, I'm not sure who's the bigger bust - Virtanen or Juolevi. Ugh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching those intense and physical playoff games Stateside, and then being 'treated' to a Flames-Canucks nightcap is the ultimate definition of 'cruel and unusual punishment'.

Both these teams are light-years away from being Cup contenders. I suppose if you're a Flames fan it's almost worse, because that team was built to win 'now' and there's nowhere for this roster to go but down.

As for the Canucks, all their good young pieces won't do them a lick of good if they don't have a hockey ops department capable of filling in the roster around them and making judicious salary cap decisions.

It's a sinking, hollow feeling to be a Flames/Canucks fan right now.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I didn’t watch beyond the 2-0 goal...just no point.

But I implore people not to put much stock in Garbage time play. There is no heart and grit being shown that has any impact on next season. They are not close to being a Stanley cup contender because they came back in a game (they will finish below 0.500 yet again). The blue line isn’t nearly complete because they can trot out a couple of younger players that in normal organizations are buried in the depth chart. Ditto for up front.

This is a bad team doing bad team things for the bulk of 7 years now.
Pretty much what I was going to post.
This game and the other playoff games should show how far behind Vancouver is, 92 hits in one period!
Quite literally this did look like a beer league game, a highly talented one compared to those others.
Size matters.
I was going to put the defencemen's sizes on but found it would be easier to list the number of those that played under the league average of 6'1"
Tampa - 0
Vegas - 0
Hurricanes - 0
Capitals - 1
Penguins - 3 of 10
Islanders - 3 of 8
Canadiens - 2 of 9
Avalanche - 4 of 12

You see where I am going with this, most of these teams have atleast 66% of their defense men with size larger than the league average.

If you just want a nights entertainment then last night was just fine and exciting, no hitting, no skin in the game, almost a ballet on ice by comparison to those other games, a tranquil experience and worth the 500 bucks or so for a family's night out.

I am not too worried over the players getting back at the fans for wanting them to tank and lose, players hate losing until they become "professional" and then they come to realize they get paid whether they go to the playoffs or not so all they have to do is go out there and entertain, hence Hughes, lousy on defence but a ballerina skating.

There are two teams to build, one for winning it all and the other to provide endless hope and regular season entertainment.
Benning by his own admission is about one night's entertainment, day to day and his big goal now is to have a team competitive for a playoff spot in only another mere 2 years after, AFTER the team gets past these contract problems

These games do matter to the wannabe's, Calgary is pretty much coasting but it would be scary if this is what comes next year.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Virtanen given that he’s been given every chance unlike the other guy.
No, Virtanen has been under a microscope while Juolevi has been sheltered. Juolevi still can't to the right going backwards and he isn't really fast or strong. Defensively he is better than Hughes though, he sticks closer to playing his position and when he forays he hustles back, not like Hughes who leans forward and coasts.
No Jake was misjudged from the start, he was a big hitter in junior only because he was bigger than his peers, he didn't go out of his way to be a grunt. Vancouver drafted him knowing he had shoulder problems, seem nobody remember Antoski or Stojanov and their shoulder issues, shoulders are tricky, but that being the case the Canucks drafted him because he was scoring goals. As soon as he was here he was pressed into being a banger, he quickly hurt his shoulder again, he came back, got into a fight and hurt his shoulder again but each time he came back was the same, it didn't matter that he may have a shoulder issue and the team needed a distraction from Olli and the other blunders going on.
So much about Jake I wonder how many fans were aware of the standings? Or any of the other 30 to 40 draft picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad