GDT: Gm 54: Ducks at Blues, @ 5pm Pacific

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Terry's inability to score goals is a part of the reason this is one of the worst PPs and teams we've ever seen. He's not some innocent bystander.
Trying to pretend it's ok he can't score because he's a "playmaker" is like all the guys in beer league who can't skate and tell themselves they're "stay at home defensemen."

As much as I'm loathe to stick my fingers into this particular can of worms...

That's a bit of a nothing burger statement, isn't it? Surely everyone is part of the reason why this is one of the worst PPs and teams we've ever seen, it's not something uniquely attributable to Terry and it's not like he's getting a free pass because he makes good plays.

Nobody's 100% content with how this team is playing at the moment. But constantly saying we can't be pleased with Terry's progress because he's not literally carrying us out of the basement is needlessly harsh.

Not that these players give a shit what we think, but geez, let us enjoy the thin silver lining here.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
As much as I'm loathe to stick my fingers into this particular can of worms...

That's a bit of a nothing burger statement, isn't it? Surely everyone is part of the reason why this is one of the worst PPs and teams we've ever seen, it's not something uniquely attributable to Terry and it's not like he's getting a free pass because he makes good plays.

Nobody's 100% content with how this team is playing at the moment. But constantly saying we can't be pleased with Terry's progress because he's not literally carrying us out of the basement is needlessly harsh.

Not that these players give a shit what we think, but geez, let us enjoy the thin silver lining here.

The conversation was not "should we be pleased with Terry's progress." The question was "is he good?"

He's made pleasant progress this year and he's still not good.

But also, Terry in particular is pretty bad on the power play. He's pretty high on the list of reasons our power play is so bad. He's got an uncanny ability to be the other team's best PKer. 0 power play points despite being 5th among forwards in total PP TOI is truly putrid.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I feel confident calling Terry a top 9 winger at the moment who has shown flashes of legitimate top 6 upside. His offense is streaky right now, but his play off of the puck and his shift to shift consistency have grown tremendously over the course of this year. Remember that he spent time in the AHL last year, and that this is his first full time season and has continued to improve over the course of the season. Whether he becomes the legit offensive threat he has shown flashes of is a question mark, but his defensive play, neutral zone transitions and forechecking have all become a strength of his, so I don't know why only his production is brought up as a reason he's bad, especially when he consistently shows hands and creativity that most players on this team just straight up don't have.

I think some people have gotten stuck in thinking that because he was drafted 6 years ago that this is all that he'll amount to, and while it is a fair generalization that 5 years post draft you can get a good read on a player, it's not a set in stone rule that governs players. Look how solid Hakanpaa was for us in his first full NHL season at 28 for example. Each player develops differently, and he is still clearly showing development from what he was even a few months ago. I think you really have to be willfully covering your eyes to not see how solid he's gotten on both sides of the puck this year, or just be getting so annoyed by some posters' hype train that you just post about how he sucks out of spite. Which, fair, being spiteful kicks ass and I do it constantly on here.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I feel confident calling Terry a top 9 winger at the moment who has shown flashes of legitimate top 6 upside. His offense is streaky right now, but his play off of the puck and his shift to shift consistency have grown tremendously over the course of this year. Remember that he spent time in the AHL last year, and that this is his first full time season and has continued to improve over the course of the season. Whether he becomes the legit offensive threat he has shown flashes of is a question mark, but his defensive play, neutral zone transitions and forechecking have all become a strength of his, so I don't know why only his production is brought up as a reason he's bad, especially when he consistently shows hands and creativity that most players on this team just straight up don't have.

I think some people have gotten stuck in thinking that because he was drafted 6 years ago that this is all that he'll amount to, and while it is a fair generalization that 5 years post draft you can get a good read on a player, it's not a set in stone rule that governs players. Look how solid Hakanpaa was for us in his first full NHL season at 28 for example. Each player develops differently, and he is still clearly showing development from what he was even a few months ago. I think you really have to be willfully covering your eyes to not see how solid he's gotten on both sides of the puck this year, or just be getting so annoyed by some posters' hype train that you just post about how he sucks out of spite. Which, fair, being spiteful kicks ass and I do it constantly on here.

That is a complete distortion of what happened here.

Posters wanna start these conversations with little digs, then say "oh no why won't you just let us enjoy Terry" when those digs are responded to.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Terry's offense tricks people because it *looks* good. It's flashy. He can give you a toe-drag that you'll remember a week later.

But it's not some weird coincidence that those plays rarely end with the puck in the back of the net. It's part of who he is as a player. He makes bad decisions about when to shoot/pass, and he fires off aggressive but off-target passes that would have been good scoring chances if they connected, but it's just as much his fault that they didn't.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
“Terry is a bad offensive forward.”

“Terry is terrible.”

It’s like those guys (to be fair only 2 or 3 people) think if they keep saying it over and over again, it’ll make it true.

Just minding their own business with a Terry hype train and us meanies jump in to argue with them because we don't want to let people have fun, amirite?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I just watched the beginning of the Backes interview... got the feels and started to tear up for him, his career, and the whole thing coming to an end when he said this would probably be the last time he'll play in St. Louis.

We should have closed the GDT then and there. Let's be classy for Backes' last game in St. Louis. There are two more games left this season and even more next season. This Terry discussion could take a pause for something that I felt needed a moment of gratitude for Backes. Seeing him breaking into tears while hugging friends from the St. Louis staff and trying to hold it in... just... heart wrenching. To a wonderful career, Backes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->