GDT: Gm 54: Ducks at Blues, @ 5pm Pacific

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
The kid line is really good. It's refreshing to actually have a line that consistently creates chances and keeps the game in the opposition's end. Stolarz is really good and like many others here, I'm not a bit mad about moving Hakanpää anymore, at all. Rough error by Drysdale there but I suppose this is all part of the learning process. If Blues are a measuring stick for a playoff caliber team, this looks really good based on these two games. Especially since missing 2 of the top 3 D.

But that PP makes me depressed. Imagine if this team had an average PP? Or even slightly below average? I still don't see them creating much grade A chances even after the commentators hype up to puck movement and what not. The play is constantly on the perimeter. 24 straight wasted opportunities now and counting.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The kid line is really good. It's refreshing to actually have a line that consistently creates chances and keeps the game in the opposition's end. Stolarz is really good and like many others here, I'm not a bit mad about moving Hakanpää anymore, at all. Rough error by Drysdale there but I suppose this is all part of the learning process. If Blues are a measuring stick for a playoff caliber team, this looks really good based on these two games. Especially since missing 2 of the top 3 D.

But that PP makes me depressed. Imagine if this team had an average PP? Or even slightly below average? I still don't see them creating much grade A chances even after the commentators hype up to puck movement and what not. The play is constantly on the perimeter. 24 straight wasted opportunities now and counting.
Blues are a good team, but they are really a bubble playoff team now. Wild performs like a legit playoff team, they are up next.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Full marks to the Blues for the classy send off for Backes.
Really wish it could've been a full house for him. The standing ovations and applauds would've been breathtaking.

Comtois seems like a great dude. He came shirtless for the second hug just before the interview. I believe he was the first one to give him a big hug right after the game and I think it was also him who brought him the game puck.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Backes trade was great for us. I'm really hoping Kase will be fine, but within our system we were able to replace him with other players.
Meanwhile we got Perreault, and Backes have been a good 4th liner but mostly, just his presence in the locker room must be massive. Even from the screen I'm getting massive appreciation of a guy that has been an honest worker and deserved everything he has accomplished.

Happy to see that apparently Comtois is in good relationship with him as @Tiny Biggs said

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
As a St. Louis native, I'm not surprised at the class they showed. It's a special town, and one reason why so many players call it home after they retire. I grew up watching the Blues, and was thrilled when they won the Cup.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As a St. Louis native, I'm not surprised at the class they showed. It's a special town, and one reason why so many players call it home after they retire. I grew up watching the Blues, and was thrilled when they won the Cup.
With the Blues the games are often hard fought but there seems to be a lot of mutual respect. Great franchise they have there it seems, a lot of grit an character there over the years, I'm glad that they got the cup.

Reactions: snowave

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
terry is incredibly streaky. he'll be fine if he can find some consistency, because when he's on he's damn good

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
16 games and 38 days since his last actual goal. But sure, spike the football on a SO winner. It was nice
He is literally easily one of our best 3 forwards, on both sides of the puck. We have the worst team maybe ever in Ducks history but Terry has been one of the few bright spots. He has turned into a 2 way forward making an impact on every single shift. He's gonna be here for a long time so I guess you'll stay trolling him for years. You will never give him credit so I am done interacting with you regarding him. I don't think I have ever seen a board rag on a young player that is playing like Terry is. He literally makes something happen almost every single shift, too bad this team sucks.

Reactions: Kalv

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
He's streaky in the sense that he has long, long bad streaks and short good streaks, sure.

Like, I get that this team full of awful forwards so anyone who has even a scrap of talent seems good by comparison. But Terry is still not good.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
He is literally easily one of our best 3 forwards, on both sides of the puck. We have the worst team maybe ever in Ducks history but Terry has been one of the few bright spots. He has turned into a 2 way forward making an impact on every single shift. He's gonna be here for a long time so I guess you'll stay trolling him for years. You will never give him credit so I am done interacting with you regarding him.

I give him credit for what he does well. You're just so desperate to be right about him that you're crowing over every single thing that goes well, as if good NHL forwards don't do good things all the time. You pick these fights with snide comments and then act shocked that we are having the conversation again.

Again, he hasn't scored a goal since *March*. You can't be a two-way forward if you can't score.

He's not better than Comtois and he's not better than Zegras. I guess you can say he's better than Rakell if you want and that makes him top 3 on the team.

But that doesn't make him good. That just means we don't have three good forwards.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Troy Terry is not a good forward, got it.

Reactions: Masch78

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He's streaky in the sense that he has long, long bad streaks and short good streaks, sure.

Like, I get that this team full of awful forwards so anyone who has even a scrap of talent seems good by comparison. But Terry is still not good.

Terry had good and excellent games where he did not score. Streaky is his point production. His overall game is less a concern.

Reactions: Static

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The disconnect between the breathless descriptions and what actually happens are always funny.

"OMG Terry is creating on every shift!" Dude has 1 goal and 6 assists in his last 20 games. That's a 4-goal-per-season pace for those who don't feel like doing the math. He may be creating something, but it's not pucks in the net for our team at any sort of decent pace.

"The power play looks completely different with Zegras out there!" Zegras still has 0 power play points in his career.

We have the 2nd fewest goals in the league and still have a chance to end with the fewest. The reason we have so few goals is that our roster is a mish-mash of washed up has-beens riding out their contract, other team's 14th forwards, and mediocre prospects being pushed into the NHL roles they never could have earned on their own because we're rebuilding so why not?

Is Troy Terry better than most of that pathetic bunch? Sure. But that doesn't make him "good."

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Terry had good and excellent games where he did not score. Streaky is his point production. His overall game is less a concern.
This is the profile of a third liner. Not a guy playing on the top scoring line of a contending team. If/When the Ducks are good again, Terry will be a bottom sixer unless he begins to score goals.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Troy Terry is not a good forward, got it.

I don't understand why this is controversial. The dude has been on a 4-per-season goal pace for five weeks, and that's not even his worst stretch in recent seasons.

You guys understand the hockey games are won by who puts the puck in the net the most times, not who has the most kinda cool looking dangles then misfires the pass?

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
This is the profile of a third liner. Not a guy playing on the top scoring line of a contending team. If/When the Ducks are good again, Terry will be a bottom sixer unless he begins to score goals.

If nothing else, he's bad on the power play, which is gonna keep him out of most teams' top 6 until he improves there.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He is a 2nd winger. Once the team learns how to score goals how many empty net goals did he create this season that people couldn't tap in. He is obviously a playmaker I don't know why everyone keeps talking about goals. Any playmaker playing on this team would have a low amount of points because we have 0 goal scorers.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Troy Terry positives: World Junior OT hero, nice guy who interviews well, can carry the puck and has the ability to dangle, responsible defensively.

Troy Terry negatives: Reluctant shooter, rarely puts pucks on net, physically weak and easily stripped of the puck, decent sample size of not being an NHL top six scorer.

Choose your narrative. Or split the difference and realize that right now he is a third liner on a decent team.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Troy Terry positives: World Junior OT hero, nice guy who interviews well, can carry the puck and has the ability to dangle, responsible defensively.

Troy Terry negatives: Reluctant shooter, rarely puts pucks on net, physically weak and easily stripped of the puck, decent sample size of not being an NHL top six scorer.

Choose your narrative. Or split the difference and realize that right now he is a third liner on a decent team.
Creates grade A opportunities every game that worst goal scoring team in NHL cannot finish. I mean honestly who else creates for others as much as him? Zegras and then who? no one. Most players don't even look to make something happen when they get the puck they just wrap it on the boards and hope someone else does. This team is pathetic. We better hit our draft pick this year.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
He is a 2nd winger. Once the team learns how to score goals how many empty net goals did he create this season that people couldn't tap in. He is obviously a playmaker I don't know why everyone keeps talking about goals. Any playmaker playing on this team would have a low amount of points because we have 0 goal scorers.
Because top six wingers SCORE GOALS. I still think Terry is a playmaking center. Zegras needs wingers that put the puck in the net. Hopefully Perrault will be that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad