Post-Game Talk: GM 5: Canucks def. Wings - 5-1 (Millerx2, Edler, Pettersson, Stecher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
hey just a nice guy dropping by, congrats on the nice win. i caught a bit of the end of the game, dominated the wings.

i have horvat in a keeper league, what's his deal? he's playing the most mins amongst all van forwards, he's on the top pp unit but doesn't even touch the puck, his linemates on the 2nd line are producing...how the heck is he dead last in team scoring amongst players who played all 5 games?? captains curse or something? will his luck change?

okay i'll hangup and listen.

Yeah he’s just not that good. I would swap him for this other player we have called Loui Eriksson. Should get you more points.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was awesome.. loved it!

My 3 stars..
Edler, Miller, Pettersson...

Boeser looks like he's getting slower. Thank god our PP was stacked for him today. 3 Goals! 3 assists for Boeser. Were they 2nd assists? Probably.

Hilarious that Myers and Ernie got nothing for their "altercation".

SOOOOOOOO glad the team overcame the first shot/goal against situation again... that was a rough start.
But it showed the value of Beagle... after that goal against where Green had Horvat v Mantha... he said.. No. He played Beagle v Mantha... and boom... shut him down the rest of the way.. no sustained pressure to be seen the rest of the game... Is that a point for Green coaching wise? Solid decision.

PP! Awesome night. People will scream about how this extends Edler's run on PP1.. hell yeah.. he's clearly earning it. Hughes has a full career ahead of him where he'll be the PP1 option. Zero rush when the Canuck legend is producing like a machine. Hughes is 10 gms in...

Greta bear down by Demko after the first g....

I was very glad to see Biega have a solid showing. As hard I was on the guy here, I hope he becomes a fan favorite for his aggressiveness for some like he was here....

Anyways..... 5-1 victory!!!

Fun game to watch.. despite knowing the outcome.. but still...

On to the next one!

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Fun game to watch live. Regrettably missed two goals while waiting in line for popcorn. But, beyond that, I was able to glean a few things.

First of all, team defense is several degrees of quality higher than last year. A lot of our breakouts tonight felt coordinated, or at least, didn't feel rushed or panicked. Myers doesn't seem to lose his head under pressure. He was calm against Philly and was calm again tonight.

Edler with the vintage "people shitting on me for being PP1 QB so I'mma score some points" performance...he was actually solid all around. There was one read that impressed me, I think it was back in the first period, when Detroit was 2 on 2 and crossed over at the blue line, handing off to Larkin driving wide. Edler adjusted his gap perfectly, and got a stick on a wide-angle shot that deflected out. It felt like he knew Larkin was going to come in with speed, and he took the shortest route to where Larkin planned to be.

As a team, it felt like we didn't offer Detroit any chances after the first period. Like I actually don't remember much of any scoring opportunities for Detroit after the 1st. So many times, they'd dump it in, and we'd work it D-to-D, to the winger, to the center, and out clean. Canucks didn't have a huge advantage in terms of true chances, but Detroit really just had nothing going on for most of the night. After that first shift and first goal in 30 seconds I thought we'd be cooked, but everyone stuck with it; Demko didn't have to make many hard saves, but it says a lot when a goaltender lets in the first shot and doesn't get beat the rest of the night.

Felt like Pettersson hasn't been the globetrotter that has been expected of him lately, but in this game, you could see the spark coming alive. His pass on the fifth goal really impressed me, because it didn't just land on the tape, it landed on Miller's stick cocked and ready to rifle, and the pass happened instinctively it seems. "Hesitant" is probably how his first couple of games could be described this year....not on that goal though.

And hey, what more needs to be said about JT Miller at this point....the guy just gets it. He's been the catalyst we need, in lieu of our "main" scoring. It doesn't even feel right to call him a depth contributor -- this guy has driven production for a number of our games already. The way he kicked off the Detroit checkers on his second goal was money

Boeser and Ferland, not as effective as they want to be. I could see Ferland winding up to lay the body, but the puck was usually gone, and he'd have to peel away. Whether that's an issue of timing or bad luck, hard to say. I think the jury's still out. With Boeser, the IQ is still there but the execution seems a step behind. I think he needs to score a big snipe to get the juices flowing.

edit: oh, also, Myers slapping Erne to the ice was just beautiful

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think we are seeing what a healthy Canucks team can potentially do on a nightly basis. Hopefully it lasts.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Fun game to watch live. Regrettably missed two goals while waiting in line for popcorn. But, beyond that, I was able to glean a few things.

First of all, team defense is several degrees of quality higher than last year. A lot of our breakouts tonight felt coordinated, or at least, didn't feel rushed or panicked. Myers doesn't seem to lose his head under pressure. He was calm against Philly and was calm again tonight.

Edler with the vintage "people ****ting on me for being PP1 QB so I'mma score some points" performance...he was actually solid all around. There was one read that impressed me, I think it was back in the first period, when Detroit was 2 on 2 and crossed over at the blue line, handing off to Larkin driving wide. Edler adjusted his gap perfectly, and got a stick on a wide-angle shot that deflected out. It felt like he knew Larkin was going to come in with speed, and he took the shortest route to where Larkin planned to be.

As a team, it felt like we didn't offer Detroit any chances after the first period. Like I actually don't remember much of any scoring opportunities for Detroit after the 1st. So many times, they'd dump it in, and we'd work it D-to-D, to the winger, to the center, and out clean. Canucks didn't have a huge advantage in terms of true chances, but Detroit really just had nothing going on for most of the night. After that first shift and first goal in 30 seconds I thought we'd be cooked, but everyone stuck with it; Demko didn't have to make many hard saves, but it says a lot when a goaltender lets in the first shot and doesn't get beat the rest of the night.

Felt like Pettersson hasn't been the globetrotter that has been expected of him lately, but in this game, you could see the spark coming alive. His pass on the fifth goal really impressed me, because it didn't just land on the tape, it landed on Miller's stick cocked and ready to rifle, and the pass happened instinctively it seems. "Hesitant" is probably how his first couple of games could be described this year....not on that goal though.

And hey, what more needs to be said about JT Miller at this point....the guy just gets it. He's been the catalyst we need, in lieu of our "main" scoring. It doesn't even feel right to call him a depth contributor -- this guy has driven production for a number of our games already. The way he kicked off the Detroit checkers on his second goal was money

Boeser and Ferland, not as effective as they want to be. I could see Ferland winding up to lay the body, but the puck was usually gone, and he'd have to peel away. Whether that's an issue of timing or bad luck, hard to say. I think the jury's still out. With Boeser, the IQ is still there but the execution seems a step behind. I think he needs to score a big snipe to get the juices flowing.

Solid.. agree 100%..... good eye.....

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019

My 3 stars..

Boeser looks like he's getting slower. Thank god our PP was stacked for him today. 3 Goals! 3 assists for Boeser. Were they 2nd assists? Probably.

SOOOOOOOO glad the team overcame the first shot/goal against situation again... that was a rough start.
But it showed the value of Beagle... after that goal against where Green had Horvat v Mantha... he said.. No. He played Beagle v Mantha... and boom... shut him down the rest of the way.. no sustained pressure to be seen the rest of the game... Is that a point for Green coaching wise? Solid decision.

PP! Awesome night. People will scream about how this extends Edler's run on PP1.. hell yeah.. he's clearly earning it. Hughes has a full career ahead of him where he'll be the PP1 option. Zero rush when the Canuck legend is producing like a machine. Hughes is 10 gms in...

I was very glad to see Biega have a solid showing. As hard I was on the guy here, I hope he becomes a fan favorite for his aggressiveness for some like he was here....

On to the next one!

Edler with the vintage "people ****ting on me for being PP1 QB so I'mma score some points" performance...he was actually solid all around. There was one read that impressed me, I think it was back in the first period, when Detroit was 2 on 2 and crossed over at the blue line, handing off to Larkin driving wide. Edler adjusted his gap perfectly, and got a stick on a wide-angle shot that deflected out. It felt like he knew Larkin was going to come in with speed, and he took the shortest route to where Larkin planned to be.

Wanted to piggy back on these two posts. I was at the game and two things stood out:

1.) Beagle was really impressive tonight in person. He was relentless on the forecheck and was absolutely busting his ass. I know he's probably gonna wind up with 15 points on the season but after seeing him up close, I can see why the coaches and his teammates probably love him. Never thought I'd say that about him.

2.) After that initial goal, it never felt like the Wings were seriously threatening for the rest of the game. They got some shot attempts up, but Vancouver dictated everything on the ice after the first 30 seconds.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Canucks win 3 in a row. Would still like to see a lot of the garbage cleaned up on this forum.

People shutting on Ferland and the Canucks.

Just take the good right now, Canucks ha e d men that can finally move the puck. They have an actual top 6. And for the love of god, Schaller looks like an NHL player.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
3 game streak Woohoo!

As a card-carrying member myself, I feel I have the right to say this: Half of y'all are acting like Asian parents! But wait 'til we see how they look against the defending Cup champions on the road? But Horvat (who always starts slow) is starting slow? Finally Schaller doesn't look useless?

Miller looks great. Myers is better than we hoped so far. We got the 2 points for the playoff push.

Enjoy the ride!

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

My 3 stars..

On to the next one!

I agree about Green making a what turned out to be a great decision lining up Beagle with Mantha. Full marks for adjusting on the fly (AV would not have done that). Willie D would still be clutching his clipboard.

But otherwise, this game has the potential for masking some real problems if they want this team to make the playoffs.

Detroit is not what this team will be facing most nights. Hughes needs to be on PP1, Edler got points in spite of himself - Detroit's PK was brutal, and had obviously not done their homework on how to counter Vancouver's PP. Who was Detroit's goalie? Bernier? Detroit is tanking, and executed perfectly last night.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
The Canucks looked good,

can't help but feel that the team is an injury to JT Miller away from being spectacularly bad

Miller/Hughes are truly carrying this team right now

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Their October schedule isn’t super difficult, I could see them having a decent record by month’s end. Gonna need to convincingly beat a non-terrible team at some point though..

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Dominant effort last night but still need some things to fall into place before we can be seen as a playoff team

The top PP unit - finally got some results and has the horses to be a very good one. Edler will eventually be replaced by Hughes but why worry about that right now. The bigger issues for me is quicker 2-3 pass set ups and more cross seam stuff. Watch the Bruins and the Sharks of a couple years ago and see how they exposed defenses. Nice to have 2 big bodies in Horvat and Miller down low.

The top 5 (looking for a 6th)
JT Miller - has been unreal. Different lines and teammates. No problem. Drives play Faceoffs, 3 positions, strong as an ox and the thing that really excites me is he can deflect pucks. Our lack of net presence was a huge hole last few years. Best player so far
Elias Pettersson - is getting more confident and is much stronger on his skates this year. I like that he's not being reckless and feel like he's gonna really get it going once his line finds its stride
Brock Boeser - is lugging too much and i dont expect him to be a great skater but has to be more involved off the puck and have better puck management. Has moments when he does it so it's just a matter of being more commited to it. We know he has the strength and his shot hasn't even been asserted due to some of the issues regarding above and Ferland.
Bo Horvat - slow start for Bo. Not all that worried. The minute they pulled Miller off the line him things tapered off. Its not just that though Bo has been mediocre at best from what he usually provides.
Tanner Pearson - Gonna be interesting to see what Pearson looks like after a full season. So far has been exactly what was needed. Strong on the walls. Net presence. Gets around just fine. Has a bomb of a shot and keeps possession. Pretty good defensive player also. Off to a great start

The 6th (who will rise)
Michael Ferland - Hasn't been able to play at the pace necessary and his hands have been sloppy as well. So far not very good but you do have to like that he can skate with EP and BB late in games and will be a load if/when we do play playoff hockey. Would like to see him play 3LW for a bit and just give him some time to get going.
Josh Leivo - Have liked him with Sutter to be honest. Don't feel his foot speed helps the top2 lines much but he does have some nice hands reach and board play. Can fill in periodically but not the answer.
Jake Virtanen - If not now when? Really get the feeling that Jake could be the element to halp the 2nd line. Has the speed that the line lacked the minute Miller was elevated. It's time to give him a decent stretch as a top6 with Bartchi Goldy in Utica Eriksson out of the picture and Roussel hurt. If Green is willing to give Ferland that shot why not Jake who's skating is vastly superior and has a bomb of a shot

Top4 (at last legit)
Alex Edler - Has some times when he looks really slow but at 33 is playing as a very good #1 defenseman. Static PP play is frustrating when its not clicking. Loved some of his physicality to date. Taro Hirose and Anthony Mantha had to hate him last night. Hirose got demolished. Moves the puck smartly and is playing excellent to start.
Tyler Myers - At this point he looks like a capable top pair defender. While i expect him to struggle at points the narratives of being a 5 and awful are looking pretty far fetched. Eats up huge swaths of ice and his skating is pretty impressive for a 6'8" player. It's super early but he's full value and having a big impact so far.
Quinn Hughes - Absolutely game changing player for our defense. Has the puck going forward relentlessly and he's just starting out. Much better defensively than i expected to date but coming out of University could have some hills to climb later in the year. It's only a matter of time till he becomes a PP fixture on the 1st unit and really liked seeing him out with the top line 5v5 last few games. His skill and skating creates all kinds of problems for our opposition which is stark contrast to defenseman bleeding all over the ice.
Chris Tanev - After a few tough games he looks to be finding his stride. Always have likened Tanev to Duncan Keith until he gets to the offensive blue line. Tremendous 2 zone player when healthy. Lets hope he can stay healthy he deserves a really good year. Him and Hughes are pushing things up ice extremely well. What a difference a couple players can make.

The Role players
Brandon Sutter - Has had a couple stinkers but mostly has shown that a healthy Sutter is a very good 3C if his top6 can score. He's so skinny you just know he's going to get hurt. See how it goes. Liked the Leivo Virtanen combo last night.
Jay Beagle - Tremendous start. Setting the tone in most games.
Schaller Motte Gaudette - Working their asses off and being effective in their roles. AG just needs to keep getting better.
Jordie Benn - has been barely ok. Very limited talent and skating. Will judge further down the road.
Troy Stecher - After a timid start is starting to play like the guy that played for Canada at the worlds last year. Very underrated player who competes relentlessly

Markstrom has been a Top10 starter and Demko looked good against a weak team. Looking forward to seeing how this develops

Last edited:

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
On Horvats struggles, I think he misses Sven more than people really thought. Bo isn’t the type of player to drive a line, he’s more of a player who can drive himself but too many times this season we’ve seen him gain the zone and just tries to wire a shot. Hasn’t used his teammates to the extent most of us would expect from our 2c. Whether he’s pushing to make plays on his own after being given the C or lack of chemistry with his line mates, I’m sure this is something he will work through; he’s too good a player to go on a elongated slump.

Anyways great win, games this season has been the most fun to watch since 2011 IMHO.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks win 3 in a row. Would still like to see a lot of the garbage cleaned up on this forum.

People shutting on Ferland and the Canucks.

Just take the good right now, Canucks ha e d men that can finally move the puck. They have an actual top 6. And for the love of god, Schaller looks like an NHL player.

makes no sense. This is exactly what message boards are about. It is OK to have a difference of opinion or say a player is bad.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
hey just a nice guy dropping by, congrats on the nice win. i caught a bit of the end of the game, dominated the wings.

i have horvat in a keeper league, what's his deal? he's playing the most mins amongst all van forwards, he's on the top pp unit but doesn't even touch the puck, his linemates on the 2nd line are producing...how the heck is he dead last in team scoring amongst players who played all 5 games?? captains curse or something? will his luck change?

okay i'll hangup and listen.

we are scoring a lot on the pp with horvat screening but jt miller is getting the tips.

at even strength, his line is not in a cycling groove sustaining ozone possession yet. something similar happened last year with a slow start.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
On Horvats struggles, I think he misses Sven more than people really thought. Bo isn’t the type of player to drive a line, he’s more of a player who can drive himself but too many times this season we’ve seen him gain the zone and just tries to wire a shot. Hasn’t used his teammates to the extent most of us would expect from our 2c. Whether he’s pushing to make plays on his own after being given the C or lack of chemistry with his line mates, I’m sure this is something he will work through; he’s too good a player to go on a elongated slump.

Anyways great win, games this season has been the most fun to watch since 2011 IMHO.
Agree. Bartschi was the ying to Horvats yang when healthy and skating well. I suspect we havent seen the last of Bartschi. Not sure how that effects Pearson though if and when Sven came back into that role. Dont see either playing RW very well. Bartschi has the kind of deception east west game and passing that opened ice for Horvat. Pearson is a lot more direct but hard to argue with his effectiveness to date

Reactions: dova

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agree. Bartschi was the ying to Horvats yang when healthy and skating well. I suspect we havent seen the last of Bartschi. Not sure how that effects Pearson though if and when Sven came back into that role. Dont see either playing RW very well. Bartschi has the kind of deception east west game and passing that opened ice for Horvat. Pearson is a lot more direct but hard to argue with his effectiveness to date
Sven will likely return. Notion of keeping Loui up now with him in the press box negates his PK advantage. And once Rousell comes off LTIR, there's another player who can kill penalties, so now we will be up to Beagle, Sutter, Schaller, Horvat, Pearson, Miller who can kill penalties.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I agree that Baertschi and Horvat had notable chemistry, but I fully disagree that Horvat does not drive a line. I think we're reaching with this statement in an attempt to explain a slow start, give the guy time and he'll get there as you said.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad