GDT: GM#45 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @7:30pm 1/10/19

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I spent more time playing Civ 6 on my Switch than actually watching the game. My wife asked me why I even had the game on, I shrugged and said because I care but I also dont care.

Muzzin's post game comment comes off to me like he's saying trade me to a team that has guys who care or trade the guys here who dont care. He seems to be one of the few who do care.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I spent more time playing Civ 6 on my Switch than actually watching the game. My wife asked me why I even had the game on, I shrugged and said because I care but I also dont care.

Muzzin's post game comment comes off to me like he's saying trade me to a team that has guys who care or trade the guys here who dont care. He seems to be one of the few who do care.
So, you're a Polish King?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Clifford, too. And the kids who haven't been tainted yet but I can't imagine Wagner et. al. wanting to stand up for anyone else at this point having seen what they've seen.

Only guy on Ottawa that had to pay a price all night was White thanks to Muzzin. Of Course every other team is going to look skilled when you have all the contact of a pick up game. There's no fear of holding the puck, of making a move or dangling, of cutting to the middle to get a better shot off when all that's happening is lazy poke checks, stick swinging, and some holding. NHL 3rd and 4th liners are still relatively skilled, so if you give them open ice, they're going to take it, which is why Chris f***ing Tierney--who lived the early years in fear of Kings d-men--looked like Evgeni Malkin all night.

Rosen roasting the entire org again this morning, I love it. Called the second goal the "worst shift of the entire season" with healthy competition of course and:

"This funk has seeped into cracks and crevasses of the organization that go beyond the players wearing the jersey. There have been shortcomings in the executive branch, in the previous executive branch, in asset management, in coaching, in drafting, in development, and, noticeably, in maintaining the healthy, winning culture forged in competitive heat by the players, coaches and those in management earlier this decade. Games like Thursday’s, or the Tampa Bay game, or the New Jersey game, or previous home games against Vancouver or Colorado or Toronto or Buffalo or the New York Islanders make many of us question how sturdy that leadership-driven culture is as of this morning. The bottom dropped out on the relationship between the players and Darryl Sutter. John Stevens resurrected that enjoyment of coming to the rink and provided detail-driven, accountable leadership, but then the Kings went 26-26-1 under him in the calendar year 2018. They’re now 13-17-2 under Willie Desjardins, and while there is a clear lack of skill and finishing ability up and down this roster, we’re still having to write about abstract terms like “emotional reservoirs.” Again, there are shortcomings in many areas, and there are certainly lineup and personnel decisions that can be questioned, but when the team is shaping up to be playing for its fourth coach in four seasons, maybe it’s not about the people behind the bench as much as it is about those sitting on it"

This is a guy writing for the organization. I know sometimes people rail on Rosen as if he's a mouth piece but god damn that's some savage evisceration of your employer.

(of course, he probably knows he can get away with it since Luc's head is in the sand and won't read it)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Clifford, too. And the kids who haven't been tainted yet but I can't imagine Wagner et. al. wanting to stand up for anyone else at this point having seen what they've seen.

Only guy on Ottawa that had to pay a price all night was White thanks to Muzzin. Of Course every other team is going to look skilled when you have all the contact of a pick up game. There's no fear of holding the puck, of making a move or dangling, of cutting to the middle to get a better shot off when all that's happening is lazy poke checks, stick swinging, and some holding. NHL 3rd and 4th liners are still relatively skilled, so if you give them open ice, they're going to take it, which is why Chris ****ing Tierney--who lived the early years in fear of Kings d-men--looked like Evgeni Malkin all night.

Rosen roasting the entire org again this morning, I love it. Called the second goal the "worst shift of the entire season" with healthy competition of course and:

"This funk has seeped into cracks and crevasses of the organization that go beyond the players wearing the jersey. There have been shortcomings in the executive branch, in the previous executive branch, in asset management, in coaching, in drafting, in development, and, noticeably, in maintaining the healthy, winning culture forged in competitive heat by the players, coaches and those in management earlier this decade. Games like Thursday’s, or the Tampa Bay game, or the New Jersey game, or previous home games against Vancouver or Colorado or Toronto or Buffalo or the New York Islanders make many of us question how sturdy that leadership-driven culture is as of this morning. The bottom dropped out on the relationship between the players and Darryl Sutter. John Stevens resurrected that enjoyment of coming to the rink and provided detail-driven, accountable leadership, but then the Kings went 26-26-1 under him in the calendar year 2018. They’re now 13-17-2 under Willie Desjardins, and while there is a clear lack of skill and finishing ability up and down this roster, we’re still having to write about abstract terms like “emotional reservoirs.” Again, there are shortcomings in many areas, and there are certainly lineup and personnel decisions that can be questioned, but when the team is shaping up to be playing for its fourth coach in four seasons, maybe it’s not about the people behind the bench as much as it is about those sitting on it"

This is a guy writing for the organization. I know sometimes people rail on Rosen as if he's a mouth piece but god damn that's some savage evisceration of your employer.

(of course, he probably knows he can get away with it since Luc's head is in the sand and won't read it)
Rosen must already have a new gig somewhere.

Oh no!!! You're not saying management is the Kings '90s old boys culture of failure club, are you Rosen?

Paging our least favorite cover artist, because how could Blake and Robitaille possibly know this roster was done after watching it the last 5 seasons?

...and Luc's head? It's in a deeper and much darker place.

pig-lipstick.jpg

Reactions: BigKing

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Rosen must already have a new gig somewhere.

Oh no!!! You're not saying management is the Kings '90s old boys culture of failure club, are you Rosen?

Paging our least favorite cover artist, because how could Blake and Robitaille possibly know this roster was done after watching it the last 5 seasons?

...and Luc's head? It's in a deeper and much darker place.

?? That's literally NOT what he said....he literally said, when you are playing for 4 coaches in 4 years, it's not whose behind the bench, it's whose on it,

He put it SQUARELY on the players, and yea, he mentioned this "Again, there are shortcomings in many areas, and there are certainly lineup and personnel decisions that can be questioned, but when the team is shaping up to be playing for its fourth coach in four seasons, maybe it’s not about the people behind the bench as much as it is about those sitting on it"

He's not giving a pass to management, but how you got the bolded from that quote, is just your bias taking over ffs, no where close to what was ACTUALLY said.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Only guy on Ottawa that had to pay a price all night was White thanks to Muzzin. Of Course every other team is going to look skilled when you have all the contact of a pick up game. There's no fear of holding the puck, of making a move or dangling, of cutting to the middle to get a better shot off when all that's happening is lazy poke checks, stick swinging, and some holding. NHL 3rd and 4th liners are still relatively skilled, so if you give them open ice, they're going to take it, which is why Chris ****ing Tierney--who lived the early years in fear of Kings d-men--looked like Evgeni Malkin all night.

Man, he got out the flamethrower and went straight for the balls. Love it. Too bad nobody in the org cares.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It seems at this point, we should get rid of some veterans at a loss for the sake of getting ride of the dead weight. Not blaming Blake. I would need to know what conversations are going on behind the scenes before I pointed fingers at Blake. Seems like he is trying, but there probably are no takers. I would like it if he issued a letter like the Rangers GM basically saying the season is over, and we are moving towards a rebuild. I don't see how a retool will fix this roster. We are completely depleted of talent, and need 2-3 years of good drafting to get back to par. A lot of bad contracts will be off the books in 3 years, and we can start fresh.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
See, this is where I fault Blake and the current management group. When are they going to hold the players accountable? It seemed like getting rid of that pansy Pearson would have been a start, but they've sat on their hands since then.

Getting rid of some of these bums would be addition by subtraction. Just cut your losses. That is, if there are even any suitors who want to add any of these overpaid bums. Perhaps other GMs don't want to poison their own clubs by adding one of these malcontents onto their roster.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I just can’t watch the same crappy plays year in and year out.

Hardly any creativity. Special teams suck.

Without the pound you into dust mentality this team is a ship without a rudder.

Their defense got them into the playoffs last year and even that has turned to sheet.

Blow it the fook up already.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Just saw this from Rosen too:

Warm-ups seemed a bit loose before the game. Touch passes on line rushes were not connecting – I counted two rushes that ended without a shot because of mishandled pucks.

Can it be any more obvious the team doesn't give a shit anymore? Bench Kopitar, Carter, and Toffoli tomorrow. Send a freaking message. Or at least take all 3 off the power play and reduce their minutes in half. Do something! Let the guys who play hard and want to be there play. Play Wagner, Luff, and Clifford 25 minutes. Embarrass all the "star" players tomorrow and hope Pittsburgh embarrasses the team even further by beating them 10-0.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Just saw this from Rosen too:

Warm-ups seemed a bit loose before the game. Touch passes on line rushes were not connecting – I counted two rushes that ended without a shot because of mishandled pucks.

Can it be any more obvious the team doesn't give a **** anymore? Bench Kopitar, Carter, and Toffoli tomorrow. Send a freaking message. Or at least take all 3 off the power play and reduce their minutes in half. Do something! Let the guys who play hard and want to be there play. Play Wagner, Luff, and Clifford 25 minutes. Embarrass all the "star" players tomorrow and hope Pittsburgh embarrasses the team even further by beating them 10-0.

Not saying it's the wrong thing to do...but warm-ups really aren't a big indication of a team caring or not.

Not saying this team is caring, and I think sitting Kopitar and Carter would do wonders...can't get much worse than they are now

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As much as I wreck him I will begrudgingly give Blake this season thru free agency to verbalize his vision and make some changes. He owns this now, but I can understand his shellshock. I can't understand his lack of vision/identity and clear lack of accountability, but I want to balance that with the good things like being kind of visionary with Marco Sturm. I want to see what--if anything--he has up his sleeve at this point because while we have to suffer night to night he has to play a long game too.

This offseason he told us and sold us as a contender with the Kovalchuk signing. He won't be able to do that going into next offseason. Now what? I'm eager to see.

And don't get me wrong I'm not giving him a free pass or saying he's right for the job, I'm just trying to back up from my emotional reaction to one game and see what the long-term plan is to nip the country-club thing in the bud and get the organization back on the rails for the kids.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
As much as I wreck him I will begrudgingly give Blake this season thru free agency to verbalize his vision and make some changes. He owns this now, but I can understand his shellshock. I can't understand his lack of vision/identity and clear lack of accountability, but I want to balance that with the good things like being kind of visionary with Marco Sturm. I want to see what--if anything--he has up his sleeve at this point because while we have to suffer night to night he has to play a long game too.

This offseason he told us and sold us as a contender with the Kovalchuk signing. He won't be able to do that going into next offseason. Now what? I'm eager to see.

And don't get me wrong I'm not giving him a free pass or saying he's right for the job, I'm just trying to back up from my emotional reaction to one game and see what the long-term plan is to nip the country-club thing in the bud and get the organization back on the rails for the kids.
Admirable, but at this point the Kings are The Love Boat and Blake is Julie. All his "vision" seems to entail is catching some tasty waves, and the fact that they still haven't figured out what they're doing and how to communicate it to the fans at this point is pretty disturbing.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

LOL Agreed, he definitely owns it now, which is why I was saying, I will reserve judgement for this TD and off-season,

Even at the trade deadline if no trades are made, I still give him the off-season and go from there....at the TD it will be really telling WHAT kind of trades are made.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The one thing that bothers me about what Rosen said was he almost tried to say Stevens. Stevens couldn't get this team up for playing Vegas in the playoffs. WD is not a good coach, but we already knew that when he was hired. I do agree that the problem is the players and I've been saying that since they fired Sutter.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The one thing that bothers me about what Rosen said was he almost tried to say Stevens. Stevens couldn't get this team up for playing Vegas in the playoffs. WD is not a good coach, but we already knew that when he was hired. I do agree that the problem is the players and I've been saying that since they fired Sutter.

Its both players, coaching and management.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If the Kings continue to lose 3 out of every 5 games, you gotta expect we’ll see a surprise healthy scratch. I’ll be keeping an eye on the minutes of some of the overpaid, under performing stars to see if they get Kovalchuked by Pit Boss Willy.

Obvious candidates are Toffoli, followed by Phaneuf and possibly Carter. But I’d expect Kovalchuk gets scratched again before Carter just because of Willy’s prejudices.

Clearly, any star player being healthy scratched is a larger message than anything to do with a particular matchup. You’re sending a message, so you have to think about the desired impact.

Scratching Toffoli or Phaneuf or anyone but Kopitar, Doughty and Brown for a couple of games, just to go back to business as usual isn’t any kind of plan. So what do you do if your BLuc and trying to steer your way out of this mess. Either you trot out these carcasses like Phaneuf and piss off your audience or you pay him $7m to sit in the stands and piss off ownership.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Maybe the COACHES are the ones that need to put the ORANGE CONES on the Ice before anyone gets to the rink...simulating King players and have #'s and name's on them:

KOPITAR 11 CARTER 77 TOFFOLI 73 ....

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad