Gm 12: Sharks 5, Ducks 4 ..SO
Gm 13: Sharks 1, Ducks 2 ..SO
Gm 16: Ducks 2, Sharks 3
Gm 28: Sharks 6, Ducks 0
Gm 29: Sharks 3, Ducks 1
Gm 40: Ducks 5, Sharks 1
Gm 43: Ducks 4, Sharks 0​

Ducks Season Record vs Sharks: 3-3-1

This is the last game of the series. Sharks were vying for a playoff spot, but their inconsistency of late has derailed their efforts. Anaheim shut them out two night ago with the oddest of forward lineups.

Draft Position Watch

DraftPositionWatch14-Apr
PosTeamGPWinsLossesOTLPts
1Buffalo421025727
2Ottawa431425432
3Anaheim431323733
4New Jersey411421634
5Detroit441523636
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Buffalo, Ottawa, Anaheim, and Detroit all won. NJ lost. We have 13 games left in the season. Most of the teams on the Watch are winning after the trade deadline. Odd. All five teams on this list were also part of the seven non-playoff participants last season. Not odd.

Volkov

cdb70a0cef3149a49b3abf19ce884669.jpg

Volkov was another low risk trade by GM Murray. In Tampa, Volkov was buried behind so much talent that he was able to find himself into 19 games.

Volkov
TeamGamesGAPtsPlus/MinusATOI.Hits
Tampa1932529:3220
Anaheim6303013:2511
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The early returns looks good for Anaheim. Volkov was playing with Lundestrom, but has been playing 4th line minutes since Lundy's emergency health issue that still has Lundy out of the lineup. Volkov can finish around the net and the Ducks will need more of those goals in the future, provided Volkov stays with in North America as he is a RFA after this season.

Max Comtois, the Goal Hunter Arc

cut.jpg

In the last game, Ducks TV color analyst Hayward shared with the telecast of where Max Comtois scores his goals in a graphic form and it was all in high danger areas next to the net. Comtois scores best when he is one timing his shots to take advantage of lack of time the goalie has to react.

Comtois leads the Ducks in goals scored with 12 goals, one more than Henrique. Also, Comtois now leads the Ducks in points with 25 points scored, two more than Rakell.

Max's season has been quite a revelation. To start the season, he was not projected to be in the lineup as he was passed over by Terry and Jones. But Jones was injured and Comtois had a fast start to his season by depositing three goals in the first two games of the season. Then he had a long drought to where he was moved up and down in the lineup to find any chemistry. Instant chemistry sprang when he got paired on a line with Rakell and centered by Lundestrom. What a scoring spree all three players on that line went. Unexpectedly, that line was disbanded to spread out the scoring and Comtois went on another drought. Eventually, Comtois continued to evolve his game beyond goal scoring by becoming a playmaker. His 13 assists ranks Comtois second on the team.

In the 2017 draft, the Ducks lost their first round pick as a condition of the Patrick Eaves trade, where the Ducks made it to the conference finals and played 50% of their games. Yet, the Ducks owned two second round selections: the 50th and 60th selections. The 60th was Anaheim's own draft pick. The 50th came from the trading away of G Fredrick Andersen to the Leafs for a 2016 first (30th, Steel) and 2017 2nd round pick. At 60th, the Ducks drafted Morand. (Morand was recently traded along with a conditional 2023 seventh round pick for Tampa's Volkov.) At 50, the Ducks drafted Comtois in the second round. Max was the Ducks first selection in the 2017 draft.

Today, he leads the team in goals, points, and second in assists. The crazy part about his goal scoring is that only 4 points come from the PP (1 ppg, 3 ppa). There is still room to grow for Comtois as he is only 22 years old. His scoring prowess around the net should make him far more valuable down low on the PP unit, preferably with Rakell, Lundestrom, and Drysdale. Rakell and Drysdale has those passing eyes. Lundestrom is that roving speedster who doesn't mind crashing the net. The last guy could be Volkov in front of the net.

If all things continue to progress for Max, then drafting him 50th overall might be considered highway thievery!

Getzky article from the official website: Captain, my Captain

Comtois scored a goal and an assist in the last game, game 43. Max also scored a goal in game 40 against the Sharks. That makes for 2 goals and an assist for a total of 3 points in two games against the Sharks recently. Can Comtois stay on fire?

giphy.webp

Let's go, Ducks!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My guess:
Drysdale Manson
Fowler Welinski
Fleury Shatt

Man they need to just play Drysdale on the right side, who gives a shit about these games honestly I just want prospect and player growth at this point. Play him on his natural side ffs.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Couldn't think of a worse partner for Fleury, but I guess we aren't really expecting many wins anyway.

I fully expect this pairing to be -2 on the night.
I think the plan is that next to shat he will look amazing, or any errors can be placed on shat, so it will appear bob won the trade.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think Drysdale goes back to the right if Fleury is in.

Fowler-Drysdale/Manson
Larsson-Manson/Drysdale
Fleury-Shattenkirk

I don't think we would play Welinski over Larsson at this point

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Couldn't think of a worse partner for Fleury, but I guess we aren't really expecting many wins anyway.

I fully expect this pairing to be -2 on the night.

I think this might be a good pair. Fleury has been more of a defensive D with skating. He will have a simple task with Shatty as Shatty will be given the green light to go, go, go. I dunno if I want that, but that's how I see it as, a traditional defensive-d with offensive-d pairing. As others have noted, Fleury-Shatty will be the third pairing... unless we do that 7-D bit again.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My guess:
Drysdale Manson
Fowler Welinski
Fleury Shatt

Man they need to just play Drysdale on the right side, who gives a shit about these games honestly I just want prospect and player growth at this point. Play him on his natural side ffs.

I like Manson being his bouncer. In this pairing, Drysdale does grow more as he's now playing against the opposing team's top forward line. The only defensemen I'd feel better Drysdale playing with right now are Manson and Lindholm, especially when playing against more difficult matchups. I'm not opposed to playing Drysdale as part of the top pairing minutes and situations. The more versatile Drysdale is, the better it is for us. We've had LHD play RHD often, including Scotty Nieds. Plus, there aren't a lot of games left we're talking about here.

Next year, though, I do expect Drysdale back on the RHD.

Lindholm-Drysdale
Fowler-Manson
Fleury-Shatt​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad