Post-Game Talk: GM 43: Blues def. Canucks - 2-1 (Shootout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just finished watching the replay and i have mixed feelings on the game

on the positive side, canucks didn't shy away from physical play in a back-to-back situation and had a good chance to win the game against a motivated blues team...ballard and alberts were engaged on every shift and kesler again demonstrated that he's not feeling any lingering effects from his injury

on the negative side, canucks are relying so much on goaltending by getting badly outshot against good teams that i don't know if it's a sustainable way to go about things in the playoffs...it's great that schneider looks like a vezina winner but it'll mean nothing if vancouver is outshot 2-1 in every road playoff game

and on the ugly side, cam barker...:shakehead

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
just finished watching the replay and i have mixed feelings on the game

on the positive side, canucks didn't shy away from physical play in a back-to-back situation and had a good chance to win the game against a motivated blues team...ballard and alberts were engaged on every shift and kesler again demonstrated that he's not feeling any lingering effects from his injury

on the negative side, canucks are relying so much on goaltending by getting badly outshot against good teams that i don't know if it's a sustainable way to go about things in the playoffs...it's great that schneider looks like a vezina winner but it'll mean nothing if vancouver is outshot 2-1 in every road playoff game

and on the ugly side, cam barker...:shakehead

Mirrors my feelings...but I also remind myself that we are missing a couple of top six forwards and a couple of top four D men.

Every team has injuries but at least three of the four on our list are fairly major guys in our system.

And if we hope to have any success, our big guys are going to need to kick it way up in the playoffs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
WTF was the point of getting Sestito? The guy barely throws and hits. In a game like this, the guy has to step it up. Useless

Yeah this was a good game for Sestito to make a solid impression on the physical side of the game. I was waiting for him to drop the gloves with someone or get involved (even if he didn't have a chance for a big hit), but unfortunately he disappeared and left it to guys like Alberts. Was also hoping Kassian lost his **** and attacked Backes, but that didn't happen. Overall though I thought we had better push back than previous years ... we just need our physical guys to find that next gear.

I hate you Cam Barker.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Yeah this was a good game for Sestito to make a solid impression on the physical side of the game. I was waiting for him to drop the gloves with someone or get involved (even if he didn't have a chance for a big hit), but unfortunately he disappeared and left it to guys like Alberts. Was also hoping Kassian lost his **** and attacked Backes, but that didn't happen. Overall though I thought we had better push back than previous years ... we just need our physical guys to find that next gear.

I hate you Cam Barker.

This game was the perfect example of where a fight would have settled things down. If Reaves stays in the game, he probably fights Sestito and the game would have cooled down a few notches. Instead, Sestito (and even Weise) has no one in his weight class and essentially becomes useless.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Seriously whats with the love of replacing Ebbett with Schroeder? Do you seriously think an even bigger midget makes a difference in that game? Ebbett has been fine, and has proven good versatility, although he really got banged around in this game. We're better off if Lapierre can regain that 2011 playoff form and center our 3rd line...but he really hasn't played very well this year (in particular that dandy of a performance in Colorado.

Overall, I like that the Canucks didn't back down tonight, but clearly it was a tough task with a really desperate team on the other end. Not to mention, they played another pretty nasty game the night before. Despite as fierce and as hard as the Blues forechecked and crashed the net, we didn't give up a ton of great chances. Had Barker not made the gaff (and a couple others by my count), we sneak outta there with a 1-0 win.

I love Ballard's competitive edge btw! Not afraid to go after a pretty hefty guy in Backes. ...that should hopefully earn him a more regular role.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Sestito is a better scrapper from my perspective, but I feel Volpatti was a much more consistent physical presence. Their play in general - IMO - is a wash.

I disagree. I feel Volpatti and Pinizotto to an extent are better than Sesitito at getting to loose pucks to keep possession or getting the puck out of our zone and towards the opponents. Both those guys also ironically protect the puck a lot better than Sestito who as real problems staying on his feet.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
This game was the perfect example of where a fight would have settled things down. If Reaves stays in the game, he probably fights Sestito and the game would have cooled down a few notches. Instead, Sestito (and even Weise) has no one in his weight class and essentially becomes useless.

Reaves did stay in the game.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Seriously whats with the love of replacing Ebbett with Schroeder? Do you seriously think an even bigger midget makes a difference in that game? Ebbett has been fine, and has proven good versatility, although he really got banged around in this game.

Ebbett is one inch taller and about 5-10lbs lighter than Schroeder. He's also slow as molasses, especially given his size. He also backs away from absolutely any and all physical contact unlike Schroeder.

Northbad

Jul 3, 2010
Vancouver, B.C
There were a number of times last night when I thought to myself "This would be one hell of series in the playoffs". It's not ideal for a long cup run but would it ever be entertaining.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Seriously whats with the love of replacing Ebbett with Schroeder? Do you seriously think an even bigger midget makes a difference in that game? Ebbett has been fine, and has proven good versatility, although he really got banged around in this game. We're better off if Lapierre can regain that 2011 playoff form and center our 3rd line...but he really hasn't played very well this year (in particular that dandy of a performance in Colorado.

Overall, I like that the Canucks didn't back down tonight, but clearly it was a tough task with a really desperate team on the other end. Not to mention, they played another pretty nasty game the night before. Despite as fierce and as hard as the Blues forechecked and crashed the net, we didn't give up a ton of great chances. Had Barker not made the gaff (and a couple others by my count), we sneak outta there with a 1-0 win.

I love Ballard's competitive edge btw! Not afraid to go after a pretty hefty guy in Backes. ...that should hopefully earn him a more regular role.

Apart from being pushed around like a boy amongst men, the thing that drove me nuts about Ebbett
last night came in the shift where he and his line got hemmed in their own zone. Hey had several chances to clear, one of which show cased Ebbett trying to stick handle his way out of danger rather than make the safe play. The result was yet another turnover that gave the Blues continued pressure.

I'm not saying that Schroeder would have fared better, but IF Schroeder had made that play, he would have been stapled to the bench so fast his head would spin, whereas Ebbett was right back out there almost immediately, taking regular shifts in the game as well as OT.

Again - it's more the coaching than the player, but it is frustrating as all hell.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I disagree. I feel Volpatti and Pinizotto to an extent are better than Sesitito at getting to loose pucks to keep possession or getting the puck out of our zone and towards the opponents. Both those guys also ironically protect the puck a lot better than Sestito who as real problems staying on his feet.

I liked Volpatti as a player better than both Pinizzotto and Sestito; but I feel Sestito has the edge over Pinner due to his fighting prowess, as neither of them have really demonstrated the consistent hitting that Volpatti did, IMO.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Problem with Ebbett is that he's a black hole offensively. Literally can't make a play and makes his linemates worse. I remember last night when Raymond pretty much set him up alone in front of the net and Ebbett literally whiffed on the pass.

I dunno who comes out on top defensively, but I'd take Schroeder over Ebbett simply because he's shown a tendency to work with his linemates and make them more effective offensively (I'm looking at you Raymond).

Wizeman*

Ebbett is one inch taller and about 5-10lbs lighter than Schroeder. He's also slow as molasses, especially given his size. He also backs away from absolutely any and all physical contact unlike Schroeder.

I am thinking this.

Schroeder hasnt shown the ability to make a huge impact every game yet.

He is shining down in Chicago now.

egro ..........why not cut down on his regular season games , so he can pass waivers easier next year too ? The less games he has under his belt, the longer we send him down without waivers.

recall him to start the playoffs.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I am thinking this.

Schroeder hasnt shown the ability to make a huge impact every game yet.

He is shining down in Chicago now.

egro ..........why not cut down on his regular season games , so he can pass waivers easier next year too ? The less games he has under his belt, the longer we send him down without waivers.

recall him to start the playoffs.

Schroeder is waiver eligible next season regardless of how many games he plays.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I was actually really pleased with the game considering 3rd game in 4 nights and Blues had massive problems with the Sedins and Burrows. The Canucks looked really good IMO all things considered. They need Tanev desperately though.

But I am actually really encouraged with the team since the addition of Roy.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
2 points out with 3 games left.

They have a game in hand on Rockford and play one more against the Admirals, the two teams they're competing with and they're 2 points behind both of those teams. It's certainly going to be tough. They'll need both Rockford and Milwaukee to lose a game on their own for them to make it (and they still have to win all 3 in that scenario).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
WTF was the point of getting Sestito? The guy barely throws and hits. In a game like this, the guy has to step it up. Useless

It's not like Gillis went out and hand-picked Sestito, saying 'this is going to be a great player for us.' We lost Volpatti on waivers, needed a 'goon' to replace him, Sestito happened to be available, and is bigger.

I mean, he's relatively useless...but it's hard to be too picky about waiver fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad