Pre-Game Talk: GM 42: Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators - Apr 15 - 5:00PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't get the Ebbett hate so much. I get that he's not going to turn the tide of a game, but at the same time he generally makes the safe play and seems to understand the system as well as anybody. You never really see the guy get "creative" like Lapierre and make a terrible gaff.

It's been said before and better by others, but the issue with Ebbett is not that he isn't a useful player to have around. He is. As as 12th/13th forward, he's a solid piece and he's been playing well on the fourth line of late.

The issue is when he has to play over his station, which is more frequently than a lot of people would like. On the one hand, we can say this is coaching, absolutely. Ebbett plays whatever role is asked of him, that's not his fault. But it's still frustrating to watch, just as its frustrating to watch Weise - another quality fourth liner - kill just about every play that Hansen and Roy make to him when he's on the third line.

It is partly coaching, but it's also frustrating to watch them struggle in those scenarios.
It's in Nashville, so it'll be one of the boring ones.

The gdt on cdc by Apples was very funny. :laugh:

vy34hx.png

6tof2a.png

30mwd3p.png

2r4mkgk.png

ak7jax.png

a4bpu1.png

b5fabl.png

9sxu6g.png

jz877k.png

1z6gyh0.png

Bravo, MAK. :handclap:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Real reason they would leave Schroeder down there is to get the AHL team into the playoffs so the few young guys that Arniel actually plays get some experience.

So our AHL team means more than the success of our NHL team now? What if the injury to Higgins extends into the playoffs? Are we really going to go into the playoffs with either Andrew Ebbett or Dale Weise on our 3rd line? Or are we, at that point, going to expect Jordan Schroeder to come in and automatically have chemistry with whomever we play him with? (and then subsequently bury him when he doesn't)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
:handclap:

very excited to see how this works out. I was told Kesler would never move to wing, something about his ego? ;)

People did say something about his ego, but, more importantly, there was an understanding that there was an inflexible rule: once a player wins a Selke playing at a certain position, he can never be tried, even as a brief experiment, at another position.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
So our AHL team means more than the success of our NHL team now? What if the injury to Higgins extends into the playoffs? Are we really going to go into the playoffs with either Andrew Ebbett or Dale Weise on our 3rd line? Or are we, at that point, going to expect Jordan Schroeder to come in and automatically have chemistry with whomever we play him with? (and then subsequently bury him when he doesn't)

Not that I agree with it but that's probably their thought process. Personally I'd send Ebbett down and bring up Schroeder but canucks seem to think for some reason that teams would want Ebbett and he'd get claimed.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
People did say something about his ego, but, more importantly, there was an understanding that there was an inflexible rule: once a player wins a Selke playing at a certain position, he can never be tried, even as a brief experiment, at another position.
Different situation this time as the guy causing Kesler to move to wing actually is a proven top six forward (who has playmaking skills). Much like Mats Sundin when he was acquired.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You guys know if Jansen is likely to stick on the first line?

info needed for a fantasy pool

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Man I really wish we'c call up Schroeder.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Burrows-Kesler-Roy
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Weise-Lapierre-Ebbet

Though Ebbet's been pretty good the last couple of games.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It's been said before and better by others, but the issue with Ebbett is not that he isn't a useful player to have around. He is. As as 12th/13th forward, he's a solid piece and he's been playing well on the fourth line of late.

The issue is when he has to play over his station, which is more frequently than a lot of people would like. On the one hand, we can say this is coaching, absolutely. Ebbett plays whatever role is asked of him, that's not his fault. But it's still frustrating to watch, just as its frustrating to watch Weise - another quality fourth liner - kill just about every play that Hansen and Roy make to him when he's on the third line.

It is partly coaching, but it's also frustrating to watch them struggle in those scenarios.

I see what you mean. The Aaron Rome analogy that another posted made is spot on. Nobody is excited to see Ebbett thrust into a pivotal role in the lineup except AV because you know what you will get from him and he delivers that pretty consistently.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I'm still frustrated with the decision to put Hansen on the top line. We all know what the Sedin - Burrows line brings to the table, let them work through their issues and get rolling before the playoffs.

It's not even like Kesler and Burrows have chemistry together anymore. They played well together when they were both young players, but they no longer seem to be effective.

Oh well, it should be interesting to see how Kesler and Roy play together. On paper, their games seem to compliment each other perfectly.

Last edited:

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

To be fair, Kesler doesn't exactly seem pumped to be moving to the wing from his quotes. I mean it's understandable but hopefully it works out.
I'd also rather see Kassian with the Sedins and Hansen on the third line.

And that CDC gdt is amazing :laugh:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'm still frustrated with the decision to put Hansen on the top line. We all know what the Sedin - Burrows line brings to the table, let them work through their issues and get rolling before the playoffs.

It's not even like Kesler and Burrows have chemistry together anymore. They played well together when they were both young players, but they no longer seem to be effective.

Oh well, it should be interesting to see how Kesler and Roy play together. On paper, their games seem to compliment each other perfectly.

But Kesler and Burrows have never played together when they're both wingers. It will be a different dynamic with those 2 getting in on the forecheck with speed and having a creative playmaker to get them the puck. I am excited to see what Roy can do with 2 bonafide top 6 forwards that are very good at keeping the puck in the attacking end and converting on their chances.

Roy's future in vancouver likely hinges on how he looks alongside Kesler. Hoping for instant chemistry there.

Now put Bieksa back with Hamhuis FFS. Can't believe these 2 haven't played together since the 5 game mark. Not having a plan B for the defense going into the playoffs is ridiculous.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

In a normal game situation I can see that being true. However, when the game is on the line, beast mode kesburr chemistry will shine. Game 7 vs. the Hawks. :handclap:

To be fair, Kesler doesn't exactly seem pumped to be moving to the wing from his quotes. I mean it's understandable but hopefully it works out.

Kesler's Ego can suck it up. :handclap:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

what did Kesler say? I couldn't find his quotes

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
stacked the second line like LA did with Carter and Richard

Burrows Roy kesler should be interesting to see.......hopefully we get Roy going again as he has 1 point and not done much....hopefully he can get a few goals with kesler

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
stacked the second line like LA did with Carter and Richard

Burrows Roy kesler should be interesting to see.......hopefully we get Roy going again as he has 1 point and not done much....hopefully he can get a few goals with kesler

Roy hat trick
Kesler hat trick
Burrows Gordie Howe Hat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad