GDT: GM#41 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @6:00pm 1/1/19 New Years Day Edition!

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Vegas flu?

Poor Jack.

Then again, his only goal against was on yet another Vegas reffing special, should have been a penalty rather than a goal.

We don't deserve a point after that abortion so not too mad, but between that and Bellemare's 3/4 rink half nelson on Kempe that turned into a Kempe penalty, give me a ****ing break.

Yeah, Bellemare grabs Kempe the entire time and when he tries to break free, he goes down drawing the call. He held on to the stick even as he went down. And the goal, well, it is Vegas.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Is Seattle going to get a expansion draft like Vegas did? It just sucks that Vegas gets everyone's else's depth. It's not like they built a good team, but are good due to NHL Expansion draft rules!

They're also going to get a free pass for years. I expect Vegas 2.0 with all the calls going their way.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
I’d have a hard time seeing Quick moved prior to the deadline. Seems off-season would be more likely, maybe the Hurricanes, Islanders or the Jackets depending on what happens with Bobrovsky.

Why? If Quick is playing well and a team feels Quick can help their team in the playoffs and have a shot at winning the Cup with him, there may be a good offer.
More urgency for a team wanting him for a Cup run, than the off season...no urgency.
May get a #1 pick for him and take back one of their players that has a 4+ million contract with some term. Most all deals these days involve near equal salary swaps. (just cannot take worthless 4 mil player back ala Phaneuf, etc) Worth taking to get a second #1 pick. (Or top prospect)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
How / Why / WTF does WD put the Kings 3 worst players out the last minute, when trying to tie the game??

77, 73, and 3 ??

Why does 77 and 73 keep getting 18 TOI and produce nothing? I harped about 73 not having a single PP point in 32 straight games - probably a record
for a PP unit 1 skater in the history of the NHL...if can be searched....and then I was at the Pepsi Ctr last night and lo and behold he got an assist on the PP.
Bravo! BFD. 2 PP points all year.

After 42 years of fandom, the most trying times watching this team were not the Roman Vopat / Jan Vopat years...it is NOW, watching
73 and 77 epically fail shift after shift, minute after minute, PP after PP and NEVER get called out, demoted, scratched, or LOSE A SINGLE
SHIFT OR PP !!! and that falls on WD. Any 5 year old would remove 73 and 77 from playing 18+ minutes game after game.

TT loses all battles and again, moved away from the puck and let a Golden Knight take it. I've never seen anything like that in 42 years.
It's embarrassing. 77 just cruises around in second gear...he's lost 4th gear and 3rd gear. Lecavalier looked a helluva lot better at 40
years old than 77.

I cannot watch this anymore. WD must be launched from this galaxy. STP. (sooner than possible)
Carter must be forced to wear his stupid Christmas Jammies next game and 73 should have a clown face
drawn on his face. They suck.

This is the worst Kings team I've seen. At least you're getting Laperriere, Matt Johnson, O'Donnell, Zmolek etc...back in the Vopat days.

Now it's just ass kickings and a charter flight to the next ass kicking.

Doesn't matter who they are playing: ANA/VGK/Kings Alumni: it's the same intensity out of them. Complete garbage.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
The worst part it’s the guys who should be leading at least by example that are letting us down , when have you seen Kopi lose so many puck battles , he is getting knocked off the puck by the third pairing guys consistently and Toffoli Carter Dion Thompson wtf , counted one stretch where 24 turned it over 4 times in a row and 3 three times on one possession think about how hard that is to do ....... has anyone else noticed that Vegas seems to taunt cliffy when he gets out there as he lines up or leaves the ice worried he might get pounded by some punk trying to make a name for his self and it might end Cliffords career

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Considering both Campbell and Peterson have put up equal or better numbers than Quick, I think you move him. None of the other teams in the Pacific need a goalie.

Campbell is the likely one to be traded. If Quick was 27, someone would take him. Nobody needs a soon to be 33 year old with many years on a contract. $7m actual dollars next year. Nobody needs that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Campbell is the likely one to be traded. If Quick was 27, someone would take him. Nobody needs a soon to be 33 year old with many years on a contract. $7m actual dollars next year. Nobody needs that.
I agree. Quick likely has negative trade value.

On top of being older, possibly injury prone, and signed long term, he has a .904 SV%.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I agree. Quick likely has negative trade value.

On top of being older, possibly injury prone, and signed long term, he has a .904 SV%.

Quick played 4 games in October before the surgery. His SV% in the 13 games he played after the surgery from November 29th-December 31st was .921, equal to the .921 SV% in his 64 games last year.

His SV% only looks bad because he was hurt, came back from injury, got scored on 14 times in 3 games and went right back on the IR. I realize that if you ignore the 3-4 worst games of any goalie it greatly improves their numbers, but its very easy to apply context to Quick's case.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Quick played 4 games in October before the surgery. His SV% in the 13 games he played after the surgery from November 29th-December 31st was .921, equal to the .921 SV% in his 64 games last year.

His SV% only looks bad because he was hurt, came back from injury, got scored on 14 times in 3 games and went right back on the IR. I realize that if you ignore the 3-4 worst games of any goalie it greatly improves their numbers, but its very easy to apply context to Quick's case.
The bad games count in any evaluation of his play by a potential trading partner.

If he was injured, and it hurt is SV%, that just supports the case for him beining injury prone.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The bad games count in any evaluation of his play by a potential trading partner.

If he was injured, and it hurt is SV%, that just supports the case for him beining injury prone.

Sure, but its like you're counting it twice by saying he's injury prone and has a .904 SV% which implies that he hasn't been any good while healthy which is incorrect. The 3 games that tanked his SV% were while he was injured, and a potential trading partner is already aware of the injury issues. They'll be able to figure that out. They'll be able calculate the .921 SV% in the other 78 games he's played in the last year and a half while healthy.

Yes, the injury concerns are real, but when healthy he is still a top goaltender in this league.

And for the record, I have no interest in trading him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sure, but its like you're counting it twice by saying he's injury prone and has a .904 SV% which implies that he hasn't been any good while healthy which is incorrect. The 3 games that tanked his SV% were while he was injured, and a potential trading partner is already aware of the injury issues. They'll be able to figure that out. They'll be able calculate the .921 SV% in the other 78 games he's played in the last year and a half while healthy.

Yes, the injury concerns are real, but when healthy he is still a top goaltender in this league.

I think he's played really well. That's my opinion.

I'm looking at it from a non-bias perspective. He has no trade value right now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The other thing as well--for better or for worse--is this is a pattern for JQ. Play like something is wrong, suddenly go on IR, come back and light it up and get progressively hotter, rinse, repeat.

Best value for JQ is 40 games after his last injury! :naughty:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I think he's played really well. That's my opinion.

I'm looking at it from a non-bias perspective. He has no trade value right now.

I don't disagree with that, but the no trade value is due to the injury risk and the term. If the potential trade partners is hung up on his .904 SV% without being able to apply the context of the aforementioned injury risk, they're not very good at their job.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings can't catch a break.

And it seems they've been losing every GI / good goal / bad goal review as well. :soap:

yeah, and it's frustrating.

On one hand, you make your own luck.

On another, these calls are making the difference between getting a point or not almost nightly over the last few weeks.

LAK74

Mar 8, 2014
Hacienda Heights, CA
Great shutout by Campbell as he technically didn't get scored on(refs screwed up badly on that 1st Vegas goal)!

Poor Jack. Then again, his only goal against was on yet another Vegas reffing special, should have been a penalty rather than a goal.

To be fair, I think Phaneuf slashed and broke Reaves’ stick immediately before Reaves touched the puck. Reaves dropped the stick right after he realized it was broken, so he really didn’t do anything wrong. If anyone should have gotten a penalty, it should have been Phaneuf for slashing.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
To be fair, I think Phaneuf slashed and broke Reaves’ stick immediately before Reaves touched the puck. Reaves dropped the stick right after he realized it was broken, so he really didn’t do anything wrong. If anyone should have gotten a penalty, it should have been Phaneuf for slashing.

I thought so too,but it broke when he hit it on the ice and knew it. He then used the broken part to pass it to the guy who scored. you can see the blade make contact with the puck on the pass. There's no way the pass is made if he just dropped it.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015

Q: Then why are GMs calling to inquire about him?

A: Because they know it takes 16 games to win the Stanley Cup and that less than 20% of all NHL goalies are capable of doing that.

The contract and age do not matter. Only 2 things matter: his health and if he's playing 95% of what his history has shown. PERIOD. Those are the
2 qualifiers. Health and playing to his capabilities.

Contract does not matter, because a similar contract will come back (PLUS a #1 pick or top prospect - this is what makes the Kings better)
There's actually no reason not to trade Quick for a very good offer. Wishing him to retire as a King is not one of them.

The ONLY reason to even consider keeping him, if there's a chance at a Cup in 2 years...and there's not.
If you don;t want to trade him - you care more about Quick and do not care about making the Kings a better team - because he's the optimum one to trade to get something back that makes the Kings better in the future. (DD would as well, but will not happen due to contract)

Only 2 tradable Kings can get a very good return: Quick and Muzzin. (these would as well: DD , Kopitar, Cal Petersen, Kupari, JAD, Clague...but they will not be traded)

Hagelin, Carter, Toffoli, Martinez, Brown, Kovalchuk, Campbell, Forbort, will not get a good return - at least good enough to make the Kings better. Some of them
will still be traded. IE: Getting a 3rd for Hagelin does not make the Kings better....getting a #1 or top prospect for Quick, makes the Kings better in the future.

The best time to trade a player is when they have peaked and just beginning to trend down. Missed that on Carter, etc. Quick will begin going down within
2 years and the Kings have 2 capable replacements. One year ago, they really did not. Petersen and Campbell have proved they can play and play now.
Campbell is better than the return you could get for him. Petersen would probably be in a short list of 5 not to trade.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Q: Then why are GMs calling to inquire about him?

A: Because they know it takes 16 games to win the Stanley Cup and that less than 20% of all NHL goalies are capable of doing that.

The contract and age do not matter. Only 2 things matter: his health and if he's playing 95% of what his history has shown. PERIOD. Those are the
2 qualifiers. Health and playing to his capabilities.

Contract does not matter, because a similar contract will come back (PLUS a #1 pick or top prospect - this is what makes the Kings better)
There's actually no reason not to trade Quick for a very good offer. Wishing him to retire as a King is not one of them.

The ONLY reason to even consider keeping him, if there's a chance at a Cup in 2 years...and there's not. If you don;t want to trade him - you care more about Quick and do not care about making the Kings a better team - because he's the optimum one to trade to get something back that makes the Kings better in the future. (DD would as well, but will not happen due to contract)

The contract matters for Doughty but not Quick? Of course contracts matter, for all players, especially guys over 30. Especially for goalies, when only one can play at any given time. No switching them from the left side to the right, or up or down a line. He either plays, or he sits. Then the whole injury thing. Nobody wants Quick when he's out for a month+.

I'm not saying they shouldn't trade Quick. Trade him yesterday. I don't care where he retires. However, you're probably hoping for a little too much in return for a goalie. For a 33 year old goalie. For a 33 year old goalie signed until 2023. Goalies being traded for #1 picks or top prospects tend to be younger than Quick is right now. Maybe they end up with a 1st, but don't expect it. Contracts and age do matter in a hard cap league. Maybe not in free agency, but certainly in trades. That's the main reason trades barely happen anymore. I'm shocked you would say that they don't matter, just because it makes it easier to theoretically trade Quick. Inquiring about a player doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure every player around the league gets inquired about, because that's what GMs do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->