GDT: Gm#39 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @1:00pm 12/29/18

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Saturday games are so predictable. Start a backup with no wins and 4.00 GAA, Kings make him look great, lose by 3. After the first 5 min they quit trying to beat the Knights. Kopitar got the lucky goal and that was it.

Reactions: Reaper45

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not even close man...are you just watching the box scores? "Oh no, Toffoli didn't have any points again, he sucked" The past dozen games, he's generating chances, quality chances, he's not finishing them....but he's getting them...
Tofolli is a clown.. He is playing a bit better but he was mailing it in most of last year and all of this year.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought he played really well today and of late. It may be because we're getting better matchups at home, but him and Muzzin have good chemistry together.

Which is fantastic because it's the first "2nd pairing" we've had with any chemistry in years. Walker has his weaknesses for sure, but at least he's unique, being an RHD with some really really good offensive instincts. Theoretically that would make Marty 3rd pairing again, and we'd have a respectable d-core.

Now if only our 1st pair could pull their heads out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hockey Day in So Cal sucks. It's like an over air cable version of HNIC , but without the cold. And they really need to kill Teddy Talks...forever!

I liked the idea of the Jr. Kings/Jr. Ducks telecast though. Real good for grassroots. I know teenage me would have been insanely pumped to know it was on TV. Hell we were pumped just to play at The Forum with only our parents watching!

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
After watching parts of this game, I'm convince that there is a totally different set of rules when Vegas plays. Two example: McNabb tackles Brown down as he drives the net, when the puck isn't anywhere near him, and Vegas scores moments later. Then Thompson getting tripped in front of the net as he shot the puck, followed by Kovy being taken down on the same play at the end of the 2nd. Boy are we gonna hate playing Seattle! #expansionteamrules

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Was Wagner hurt? We play a fast Vegas team and one of our fastest guys rides the pine?

With the loss maybe they can tweak the lineups again, a guy like Toffoli, can take a game off without hurting the team , a healthy scratch might be good for him.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
This season Kopitar would rather force a crappy pass than heaven forbid rifle a shot on net or use his body to drive around a defender.

Jeff Carter is MI-f***ING-A this season. It's like the dude got his brain scrambled.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
This season Kopitar would rather force a crappy pass than heaven forbid rifle a shot on net or use his body to drive around a defender.

Jeff Carter is MI-****ING-A this season. It's like the dude got his brain scrambled.

I think the thing that shocks me the most about Kopitar is how often he loses possession of the puck on the cycle. He used to dominate holding onto the puck in the offensive zone, even when he would play passive along the perimeter, this season he can't sustain possession whatsoever.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
This game was probably one of the worst I've seen the Kings play this year (sadly in person too), and that's saying something.
I feel sorry for the season ticket holders who have to endure this crap, and if they don't go to the games, can't even get a good return on resales.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
This game sure was terrible but that Teddy Purcell segment was even worse. At least the tank is back on.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Yesterday’s game was lost before the puck drop because of lineup decisions. It’s laughable to take Wagner out of the lineup at this point and expect anyone to think you’re not tanking or showcasing players being shopped in trades.

It’s a joke at worst and a questionable decision at best to play Jeff Carter every game at this point, much less feature him in some video segment, given his performance and press reports about trade rumors.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s fine to lose, but you have to wonder, would a kid like Wagner develop better riding the AHL bus or in the NHL.

I think the old school mentality of the kids having to earn their minutes by putting in their time and kowtowing to grizzly vets is just about done. Giving too much power / ice time to veteran players who are past their prime and aren’t worth their salary is killing this franchise.

Blake needs to pull his head out of the South Bay bubble and show he is in charge of this roster and not some flunky, hack coasting on his reputation as a player.

It starts with either Carter or Phaneuf. There is zero reason based on play, lottery team or contender, to take away ice time from any King with an NHL contract for either of these guys.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Was Wagner hurt? We play a fast Vegas team and one of our fastest guys rides the pine?

With the loss maybe they can tweak the lineups again, a guy like Toffoli, can take a game off without hurting the team , a healthy scratch might be good for him.

Can you believe that? Wagner coming off a 2 goal game the other night and then last game, sticks up for Quick and ready to drop the gloves....one of the few Kings
to respond to anything ALL YEAR. I thought the Kings needed speed and toughness? WD makes my blood boil. Few things do. Kovalchuk on the 4th line is
Pejorative Slured. Kovalchuk has 5 even strength goals - largely from line 3 and 4. No other King - Kopitar, Brown, Iafallo, Toffoli would have done that.

Carter needs to be scratched permanently. Traded or waived. He and Dion should never dress again. Carter may as well be playing with those stupid Christmas Jammies on out there. Toffoli should be scratched a game as well. What happens when: Lewis, Hagelin and Brodzinski come back? Wagner and Amadio will probably be sent down and WD may scratch Kovy and Scherbak.

Players that must go asap: Toffoli. Trade him for almost anything. He will never score 20 again and he has zero abilities, intangibles at ANYTHING else. No presence,
not good at making plays, avg speed at best. ZERO physical play. Cannot battle. If he's not scoring 20, he is worthless. Minus 7 last 7 games. The Kings would be better,
if Carter, TT and Phaneuf never play again. Kings have the worst second line in their history and entire NHL right now. So put Kempe, Kovalchuk and Scherbak on it.
Let them play, period - the SAME WAY that Carter and TT play every second line shift. NO way they are worse than the current second line.
Scherbak only had 2 or 3 of his 7 games with 10 TOI and was never as bad as Carter or TT. He can skate, make plays and adept at carrying the puck. 3 hits and 3 shots
his last 8 minute game and then gets 3.5 minutes and is scratched. Cut through the zone with speed and nice feed to TT for that disallowed goal - offsides. Carter
can no longer cut through the zone like that and do that. He can't.

It will be terrible when Lewis and Hagelin come back - because better players will be scratched and Scherbak will never play again.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Another horribrutal stat : one that not even GoldenBearHockey can defend. Impossible to defend. Perhaps the WORST personal offensive stat of ANY NHL player in any category you want to delve into. I would like to see anything 55% as brutal as this. Been saying all year, Toffoli cannot make plays. This is actually unbelievable. Toffoli is often on PP unit #1 and sometimes on PP unit #2. How many PP points does Toffoli have? He should have no less than 6 PP points by now; otherwise he should be forever removed from PP time. How many PP points does he have? Are you sitting down? ONE. 1 PP back on....October 18. WTF????????? ZERO PP assists. Is that even possible, for skating ALL YEAR on the PP? ZERO PP POINTS IN LAST 32 GAMES. GoldenBearHockey, please show us all, that TT is stellar and should be on the PP. Is it the other 4 on the PP that are to blame for this?

If someone asked me back at training camp time "one of these 2 things will happen, by January 1, 2019.
Tyler Toffoli will be playing on every PP for the Kings and have 0 PP assists and 1 PP goal, after 40 games...OR, Nessie, the Lach Ness Monster, will finally emerge and be seen by thousands, swimming across Lach Ness. I would say, Holy Schnitt, Nellie is real??!!"

396814-1041100111115.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And yet....WD will still put out Carter and Toffoli EVERY PP. His answer to tweak it???
Put Leipsic and Thompson out on it.....NOT remove 77 and 73. Can't do that!!

Remove 73 and 77 from PP and put out Kovalchuk and Iafallo. The success % will go up about 4-5%.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think Toffoli is part of the solution, not the problem. The production isn’t there, but I agree with the take of GBH, and see the effort. I don’t think he should be getting PP1 minutes, but that whole current PP1 needs to be demoted to PP2.

The area in his game I think has improved is some of his edge work and ability to turn his body when making plays with the puck. It’s the new NHL and I think TT still can produce if he isn’t consistently anchored to Jeff Carter.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Toffoli is part of the solution, not the problem. The production isn’t there, but I agree with the take of GBH, and see the effort. I don’t think he should be getting PP1 minutes, but that whole current PP1 needs to be demoted to PP2.

The area in his game I think has improved is some of his edge work and ability to turn his body when making plays with the puck. It’s the new NHL and I think TT still can produce if he isn’t consistently anchored to Jeff Carter.

Nah better to look at box scores and make instant analysis based on paper rather than actually WATCH the game for yourself.

But Toffoli looked his best with Kempe and Scherbak, agree it's time to move on from carter

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Jeff Carter is MI-****ING-A this season. It's like the dude got his brain scrambled.
Look on the bright side. Maybe "Kopi" will feel like going to the net next season.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
So the Kings are the lucky team getting to spend new years eve in Vegas? Anything less than a 5-0 loss and I'll be surprised.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Pretty telling that even Rosen is saying play the kids.

It just makes sense....I would roll with these, and just roll them evenly,

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Kempe - Toffoli
Scherbak - Carter - Leipsic
Luff - Thompson/Lewis - Wagner

Send Amadio back to the AHL to get playing time, he's 1st call up when injuries happen.

Doughty - Forbort
Muzzin - Walker
Fantenberg - Martinez

Keep Phaneuf as 7th dman, can move between any of the last three,

When you can trade Martinez you do that, and you have Ladue
When you can trade Carter, you do that and you have Lewis/Amadio etc

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad