GDT: Gm#39 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @1:00pm 12/29/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I stopped my holiday binge drinking, and the Kings suddenly stopped looking good. Coincidence? Only one way to find out!

Reactions: BigKing

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The Kings are certainly not good at doing it. The NHL in general has always been off about that stuff though. The pre-game thing in Ottawa. Def Leppard with the Cup. The whole red carpet business at the awards. It's all corporate bull, and just trying to reach non-hardcore fans. In a fragmented world, everyone is desperate for more eyes. The NHL has just been horrible at doing it.
Yes good take.. but I do not think anyone besides FSW would keep running these nervous, half-famous, not-hockey-affiliated, uninteresting guys into the booth during the game - that is a very hostile move toward real hockey fans.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I thought more people would be happy about this loss.

Nobody wants to waste their time. We watch because we're addicted, and there's a larger picture out there, but nobody really wants to watch them lose, or play like crap. They're going to do what they're going to do, and you deal with it, since it has no real world significance, but watching them be 31st/30th is annoying. No matter how much someone wants Hughes/Kakko. If we weren't addicted, we'd be much better fair weather fans. If the team is good, alright. If they're terrible, don't bother watching or even following them for any reason, that would be the way to go.

The problem is that we care, which is why being a fan is weird. We're emotionally connected to a corporate logo. It makes no sense.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Was at the game and missed the broadcast bs but god damn this team is pitiful. Kopitar and Carter look like absolute trash. No emotion. Best players are Leipsic who was claimed off waivers and 35 year old Kovalchuk. Wheeeeew boy. I'm not a Blake fan but want him to succeed as a GM for the teams sake. Man he's got his work cut out for him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes good take.. but I do not think anyone besides FSW would keep running these nervous, half-famous, not-hockey-affiliated, uninteresting guys into the booth during the game - that is a very hostile move toward real hockey fans.

I can't disagree. I imagine it's because it's LA. Maybe they feel like they have to do something, anything, to keep fan interest. I don't know how these things they do are interesting, but I'm one of the long time fans that this stuff probably isn't directed to. Also probably some of the Bob Miller finally retires(he was on the old side), and it's increasingly about twitter, and trending, and whatever the hell else the young corporate world is about these days.

It would be much better if it was just about the hockey, how poorly the team has played, and honest criticism during a game. No doggies, pj's, Teddy Purcell for some freakin' reason, and whatever other fluff they throw out there. This isn't Toronto though, so, maybe they feel like they can't go that way.

Reactions: crassbonanza

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Back on track for Jack!

200w.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was at the game and missed the broadcast bs but god damn this team is pitiful. Kopitar and Carter look like absolute trash. No emotion. Best players are Leipsic who was claimed off waivers and 35 year old Kovalchuk. Wheeeeew boy. I'm not a Blake fan but want him to succeed as a GM for the teams sake. Man he's got his work cut out for him.

Leipsic is looking like a keeper for heart and creativity. Love that guy. Ballsy as hell to take #14, which is my favorite...but he's worn it well :D

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

The worst part is those two have been the best players recently, but were demoted and saddled with Thompson, for some unknown reason.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Why do Carter and Toffoli get 18 TOI every game and #1 PP unit?
Toffoli last 21 games. 1 goal. 3 assists. 4 points. 5.6 shooting % In last 7 games is MINUS 7 and 1 goal.
Carter last 25 games 3 goals 5 assists 8 pts. 7.3 shooting %. Minus 12. 2, I repeat 2 Even strength goals all year.
Close to half the season and #2 center has 2 TWO 2 TWO 2 TWO even strength goals.
Some defensive defensemen have more than that.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Why do Carter and Toffoli get 18 TOI every game and #1 PP unit?
Toffoli last 21 games. 1 goal. 3 assists. 4 points. 5.6 shooting % In last 7 games is MINUS 7 and 1 goal.
Carter last 25 games 3 goals 5 assists 8 pts. 7.3 shooting %. Minus 12. 2, I repeat 2 Even strength goals all year.
Close to half the season and #2 center has 2 TWO 2 TWO 2 TWO even strength goals.
WD - I think its Canadian bias.. I heard him comment on Tofolli a while back and he said he's happy with his play. Tofolli is the least engaged of all the slackers on this team. Objectively he should be a healthy scratch and get a lot more than the Kovulchuk treatment

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings are certainly not good at doing it. The NHL in general has always been off about that stuff though. The pre-game thing in Ottawa. Def Leppard with the Cup. The whole red carpet business at the awards. It's all corporate bull, and just trying to reach non-hardcore fans. In a fragmented world, everyone is desperate for more eyes. The NHL has just been horrible at doing it.
What the NHL is doing is one approach. In a fragmented world it seems like it might be a better idea to play to your base. In my experience getting new long term fans is most likely to happen when a new fan is introduced to the game by a long term fan.

I haven't attended a game in person in over 3 years. I am not going to spend 3 hours on a freeway (round trip), and 3 hours at a game watching Luc's "entertainment" experience.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The waiver wire pickups are better than the Kings 70's trash.

Leipsic > Toffoli
Scherbak > Carter.

Scherbak creates more than Carter and has better numbers for time on ice.

Reactions: crassbonanza

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
What the NHL is doing is one approach. In a fragmented world it seems like it might be a better idea to play to your base. In my experience getting new long term fans is most likely to happen when a new fan is introduced to the game by a long term fan.

I haven't attended a game in person in over 3 years. I am not going to spend 3 hours on a freeway (round trip), and 3 hours at a game watching Luc's "entertainment" experience.

Did you factor in the chance of a free McFlurry coming your way, should fate supply a goal in the final minute of the 2nd?

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Did you factor in the chance of a free McFlurry coming your way, should fate supply a goal in the final minute of the 2nd?
Honestly, I’m not sure how anyone could actually over look this. No franchise is actually required to be a part of this.

Reactions: riznat

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
WD - I think its Canadian bias.. I heard him comment on Tofolli a while back and he said he's happy with his play. Tofolli is the least engaged of all the slackers on this team. Objectively he should be a healthy scratch and get a lot more than the Kovulchuk treatment

Not even close man...are you just watching the box scores? "Oh no, Toffoli didn't have any points again, he sucked" The past dozen games, he's generating chances, quality chances, he's not finishing them....but he's getting them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad