GDT: GM#36 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @1:00pm 12/22/18

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When the opposing team’s play-by-play guy comments about the Kovalchuk and WD situation at the end of the game after Kovy just scored the game winner, you know it’s not just us fans that see this.

What they say if you don't mind sharing for me?

Softest team in Kings history.

Winners rally around each other. Losers just collect their game check and allow their teammates to get KO'd with no retribution.

Last season, that wouldn't have been okay. This year? Back to 2017 when it was okay to let a teenager elbow Doughty in the face.

GBH: You can't lay the foundation of your contrarian takes on "I played hockey" and then honestly say "oh...should he take an instigator???" Might be your worst post ever.

Kings are extremely soft. They became soft when RR left. And even then that's only one player who wasn't soft at the time.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Again, Luff went after him Dillon stepped in before he got to him, did you want Luff to fight Dillon to show up Karlsson?

First of all, the hit itself, looked bad but on replay it wasnt as bad as it looked he got a lot of shoulder, yes he also got head but there have been a lot worse.

Second, these guys are professionals, they understand that winning the game comes first, but I get it you want to see some fighting just to see fighting....ok I guess...

Winning the game comes first. Guess this would have been the first instigator penalty in NHL history then because these guys are professionals and don't take penalties.

You're being obtuse. It's your schtick though so I get it.

LAK74

Mar 8, 2014
Hacienda Heights, CA
What they say if you don't mind sharing for me?

At the end of the broadcast, Randy Hahn simply said that after this performance by Kovalchuk, who had been relegated to 3rd/4th line status, Desjardins might now have a different perspective about Kovy’s spot in the lineup. He didn’t say much more than that.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The frustrating thing about these glancing half-head, half-shoulder hits finishing through the front of a player is that they’re entirely a result of poor coaching.

The most impressive, effective open ice hits finish through the puck carrier’s center of mass. From the side, that means you initiate contact when your hips and shoulder are exactly aligned with their hips and shoulder. If it’s from the front, your shoulder aligns with their chest (just below the collarbone), not their head. Regardless of the direction, your goal is to maintain a lower center of gravity and make the most contact with the chest or hips, and if timed properly the shoulder as well.

Karlsson (and many other players in recent memory) had the option to do either, and instead choose to chickenshit out of full contact by aiming only for the shoulder AND rising up into the hit away from center of mass which almost always means head contact. I don’t know if it’s the focus on speed and skill that’s causing more players to not learn how to hit properly, but it’s a problem that’s inexcusable at this level. It’s even more important the faster players get, I’d argue.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The frustrating thing about these glancing half-head, half-shoulder hits finishing through the front of a player is that they’re entirely a result of poor coaching.

The most impressive, effective open ice hits finish through the puck carrier’s center of mass. From the side, that means you initiate contact when your hips and shoulder are exactly aligned with their hips and shoulder. If it’s from the front, your shoulder aligns with their chest (just below the collarbone), not their head. Regardless of the direction, your goal is to maintain a lower center of gravity and make the most contact with the chest or hips, and if timed properly the shoulder as well.

Karlsson (and many other players in recent memory) had the option to do either, and instead choose to chicken**** out of full contact by aiming only for the shoulder AND rising up into the hit away from center of mass which almost always means head contact. I don’t know if it’s the focus on speed and skill that’s causing more players to not learn how to hit properly, but it’s a problem that’s inexcusable at this level. It’s even more important the faster players get, I’d argue.
The Kings need to draft another player like Dustin Brown, and soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad