Post-Game Talk: GM 3: Canucks def. Kings 8-2 (Hughes, Edler, Tanev, Pettersson, Leivo, Miller, Sutterx2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Heres my recap, so ignore! ;)

-Pettersson quiet game, passes seemed off, still with a goal
-Boeser rough game, passes off, didnt click out there with anyhone very well, a couple a nice shots
-Miller solid game, was everywhere, deserved the 4 points, hopefully becomes a fan fave

-Horvat quiet game but great assist on one of the late ones
-Leivo very quiet out there until that goal with Bo near the end
-Pearson quietly a great game for us, including the PK

-Sutters best game as a Canuck, great PK, 3 pts, very well deserved, im his biggest hater but gotta recognize
-Gaudette quiet game
-Ferland quiet too, quite invisible

-Beagle great PK, quiet, but what youd want of a 4C
-Virtanen a good game, hits, disipline, crossbar, appie
-Schaller good 4th line game

D

-Hughes - o man do we have a beauty on our hands. Has some d to clean up on but his offense is beauty
-Tanev i heard had a rough first two games but played great today, rewarded with a tip goal

-Edler solid well round game too. A lotta unnoticed smart plays out there
-Myers didnt notice him too much which i think is a good thing cause is known for weak d play

-Benn quiet game. Good
-Stecher quiet game too, less ice time it seems this game then last year

-Marky would be a star if it wasnt 8 goals for. Played so well kept the Kings out of it when they had a lotta chances in the 2nd

Onto the Flyers :yo:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hughes only played 16:25 tonight, why not crank up his ice time and let him do his thing when you have such a big lead?

One thing that stood out to me was how sluggish Ferland's skating looked, not what you want to see out of a guy you've committed yourself to 4 years of for good money.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hughes only played 16:25 tonight, why not crank up his ice time and let him do his thing when you have such a big lead?

One thing that stood out to me was how sluggish Ferland's skating looked, not what you want to see out of a guy you've committed yourself to 4 years of for good money.

When Hughes does his thing, he scares the crap outta slower players.

Overextend him and watch a 4th liner take a run at him.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Not shocked at all that Boeser and Ferland have looked a little off since they're both just back from injury. Might even be a good idea to sit them both for the next game. I think they both need time to get healthy. Not worried about them, but they're not adding anything right now as they are.

Reactions: Zippgunn

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
8-2. Wow. Remember when LA was a good team and Quick was a good goalie? Man, what a sieve tonight. Still, it's a good night for it with Horvat's elevation to Captain. Hard to find much to nitpick about after that, but they're not playing these guys every night.

Feb 20, 2013
Tired LA team that had just played an OT nail-biter the night before, well rested and pumped up Canucks. That's probably the main story.

Glad to see some finally go in. Given the difference in fatigue to LA, the Canucks probably played worse tonight than in Edmonton, but sometimes you get the bounces, and the game does devolve when one team is way ahead.

10 goals in 3 games... Too bad they weren't split more evenly.

Also, glad to see that Green rested the top line once we were well up in this one. We will need Pettersson and Boeser to be fresher down the stretch, and there is no need to try to pad stats.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This was a super fun game against a terrible opponent in which the same trends occurred as we've already seen in the previous two games:

Miller is a very consistent presence on his line, and that line ends up driving a lot of play.

Our PK is structurally terrible but the d-men haven't been bad on it and Marky has covered up this deficiency so far. But I- and line- formations aren't going to cut it in the long run.

PP struggled because of Edler and flourished because of Myers/Hughes. We probably could have more goals if Green wasn't so stubborn in his deployment.

This team gives up a lot of high quality scoring chances in bunches. Again Marky covering this up.

Congrats to Bo being captain (although he was really the only option IMO), but I still think this edition of the team needs a lot to go right for it to win on a consistent basis against better teams.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Heres my recap, so ignore! ;)

-Pettersson quiet game, passes seemed off, still with a goal
-Boeser rough game, passes off, didnt click out there with anyhone very well, a couple a nice shots
-Miller solid game, was everywhere, deserved the 4 points, hopefully becomes a fan fave

-Horvat quiet game but great assist on one of the late ones
-Leivo very quiet out there until that goal with Bo near the end
-Pearson quietly a great game for us, including the PK

-Sutters best game as a Canuck, great PK, 3 pts, very well deserved, im his biggest hater but gotta recognize
-Gaudette quiet game
-Ferland quiet too, quite invisible

-Beagle great PK, quiet, but what youd want of a 4C
-Virtanen a good game, hits, disipline, crossbar, appie
-Schaller good 4th line game

D

-Hughes - o man do we have a beauty on our hands. Has some d to clean up on but his offense is beauty
-Tanev i heard had a rough first two games but played great today, rewarded with a tip goal

-Edler solid well round game too. A lotta unnoticed smart plays out there
-Myers didnt notice him too much which i think is a good thing cause is known for weak d play

-Benn quiet game. Good
-Stecher quiet game too, less ice time it seems this game then last year

-Marky would be a star if it wasnt 8 goals for. Played so well kept the Kings out of it when they had a lotta chances in the 2nd

Onto the Flyers :yo:

Stecher played poorly. Continously blindly chipping pucks off the boards /glass which turns into them coming right back at them. If he's not icing it that is. Very chaotic play

Gaudette had a good game. Especially first half. Had lots of jump as usual, couple nice takeaways.

Tanev had a very poor start. And a poor play that ruined offensive pressure later in the game. Not good at transitioning the puck up ice and it showed several times. Was really solid in the defensive zone as the game went on.

The thing about being good defensively but not great at transitioning, you can make a great play but you're going to have to keep doing it because you're not regaining possession and maintaining it. Thankfully Hughes is his partner because he's getting very poor at this, at a pretty rapid pace

And I can't count how many plays could have resulted in a goal if the puck didn't die on tanevs stick in the offensive zone.

Also sometimes making the simple pass isn't enough

Last edited:
Reactions: DL44 and mossey3535

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Stecher played poorly. Continously blindly chipping pucks off the boards /glass which turns into them coming right back at them. If he's not icing it that is. Very chaotic play

Gaudette had a good game. Especially first half. Had lots of jump as usual, couple nice takeaways.

Tanev had a very poor start. And a poor play that ruined offensive pressure later in the game. Not good at transitioning the puck up ice and it showed several times. Was really solid in the defensive zone as the game went on.

The thing about being good defensively but not great at transitioning, you can make a great play but you're going to have to keep doing it because you're not spending as much time in their zone. Thankfully Hughes is his partner because he's getting very poor at this, at a pretty rapid pace

And I can't count how many plays could have resulted in a goal of the puck didn't die on tanevs stick in the offensive zone.

Also sometimes making the simple pass isn't enough
Tanev's transition game has vanished into thin air.

wtf

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Tired LA team that had just played an OT nail-biter the night before, well rested and pumped up Canucks. That's probably the main story.

Glad to see some finally go in. Given the differences fatigue to LA, the Canucks probably played worse tonight than in Edmonton, but sometimes you get the bounces, and the game does devolve when one team is way ahead.

10 goals in 3 games... Too bad they weren't split more evenly.

Also, glad to see that Green rested the top line once we were well up in this one. We will need Pettersson and Boeser to be fresher down the stretch, and there is no need to try to pad stats.
If we were halfway through the season,I'd buy that 'fatigue' line..but were only 2-3 games into the season.

Canucks played worse tonight than in Edmonton? (Canucks were a no show in the first 15 minutes of the 1st, in that Oilers game).

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Tanev's transition game has vanished into thin air.

wtf
Seems he's reaching with his body more when he's playing, instead of using his feet and getting on the guy. Typically a reflection of the players skating. Either from being a poor skater, injury or conditioning. You can guess which one. I personally think his skating has taken a hit from injuries. So he can still defend when the play is close to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad