Post-Game Talk: GM 2: Vancouver 2 vs. Ottawa 3 | SO Loss

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My positives and negatives

Positives

- Tanev : my 1st star of the game. Perfect defensively and dangerous offinsevely. What can you ask more from a dman?

- Vanek: he was involved in all goals. Win puck battles, dangerous in front of the net and with his shot.

- Virtanen: call me crazy but he was the only Canuck's player on the ice able to create a chance even without the help of his linemates. Played another good games.

Negatives

- Baertschi: he played a decent third and OT, but he's better than this. Invisible in the first two periods.

- Hutton: his turnover cost us the 2nd goal.

- Markostrom: 2nd early goal in two starts. This one was really bad. Then made a great save on Burrows and played a decent game but that goal was really bad.
Good assessment...although I would only disagree on Markstrom,who.despite giving up one weak goal per game has exceeded my expectations....Great positional goalie,rarely flailing about.

Baertschi is a notorious slow starter to the season..but his last two games have been a bit mediocre...(you're not going to win board battles when you're constantly on you're knees..)...He needs to find an extra gear in his skating.

Another positive for me is the play of Granlund,Sutter,Dorsett....Players who get a lot of flack around here,but when deployed correctly ..get the job done.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Extreme zone starts and usage are really skewing the raw corsi numbers.

It's no coincidence the guys getting soft 75% o-zone starts have awesome numbers and the guys playing hard shutdown minutes with 25% o-zone starts have lousy numbers. This is why Corsi is so useless without context.

Understood. However, when your entire team lies on one side of the line and the entire roster of opposition lay on the other side it gives you pretty good idea who the balance of play was favouring...wasn't meant as some sort of "ah ha!" moment. Though the shot chart is pretty damning.

Obviously for anything actually detailed you will look at the usage as well and see how everything fits together.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Since I railed on him being a bad signing pre-game, I am back to say I liked Vanek's game last night. Solid player, bad fit for this team.

I find the hate for Gudbranson this pre-season and these first two games a little much. He has issues in his game, I don't expect him to be a perfect player. But within that role, I actually think he has been pretty solid so far. The team defense, including Gudbranson, has been fine through two games this year and as a unit is the least of my worries when all 6 are healthy.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I hope Gagner is back on the right wing or centre, he has never played LW in his entire career and it shows.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The team defense, including Gudbranson, has been fine through two games this year and as a unit is the least of my worries when all 6 are healthy.

Well we've seen two games, and Hutton and Stetcher look like a bad pairing. One of them is going to be scratched for Pouliot pretty soon, just depends on how much rope Green gives them. Probably Stetcher since he's only averaging ~13 mins per game. Certainly a precipitous fall from what we saw last year. The blue line has largely been buoyed by Tanev-Edler and an unexpectedly strong showing from MDZ. Everything else is pretty meh.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Understood. However, when your entire team lies on one side of the line and the entire roster of opposition lay on the other side it gives you pretty good idea who the balance of play was favouring...wasn't meant as some sort of "ah ha!" moment. Though the shot chart is pretty damning.

Obviously for anything actually detailed you will look at the usage as well and see how everything fits together.

Oh, absolutely. We've been buried in terms of possession in the first two games and would be 0-2 if we'd received even average goaltending from Markstrom.

Just felt it needed noting how misleading the graph was when it's showing great results for the Sedin line and terrible results for Tanev-Edler which are driven almost entirely by zone starts and usage.

Reactions: tantalum

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Baer Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Vanek
Eriksson Gagner Virtanen
Granlund Sutter Dorsett

....stilll gonna keep posting this until green gets it

burimstov sucks man. missed that open net chance and hits the boards instead, holy crap. terrible player.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well we've seen two games, and Hutton and Stetcher look like a bad pairing. One of them is going to be scratched for Pouliot pretty soon, just depends on how much rope Green gives them. Probably Stetcher since he's only averaging ~13 mins per game. Certainly a precipitous fall from what we saw last year. The blue line has largely been buoyed by Tanev-Edler and an unexpectedly strong showing from MDZ. Everything else is pretty meh.

Maybe Green will find it easier to just scratch both and roll with the guys who practice together in Pouliot and Biega for a night.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
“Gotta make ‘me earn it!”

“Can’t get complacent!”

“Veterans were just brought in for competition. If the kids outplay them then they’ll get to play.”

Honesty how do people keep typing the same drivel year after year?

Well do you think players should get complacent? Or be handed roster spots? :sarcasm:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well do you think players should get complacent? Or be handed roster spots? :sarcasm:

To be fair I guess if we held Eriksson, Vanek, Gagner, and Sutter to the same standard as Jake and Brock they’d never see a game and we’d be in violation of the league’s minimum roster rules.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

I don't think we're going to see both Boeser and Virtanen in the lineup for a while... :laugh:

I think Virtanen has played a ok 2 games for his standards. Taking him out cant help his confidence. Id sit Gagner maybe itd light a fire under his butt. If not its the right thing to do anyways. And if not him one of Eriksson Sutter or Dorset

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Granlund Burmistrov Virtanen
Sedin Sedin Vanek
Eriksson Sutter Dorset

Gagner

Reactions: Nomobo and WTG

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
will Burmistrov be this years Megna? I haven't been impressed by him dating back to his days as a Jet and I have no idea what could possibly make this coaching staff think he should be used on the PP. I really hope he's just a place holder until Gaunce is healthy again.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Step 1, trade everyone over 25 for draft picks.

Step 2, sell franchise, relocate to Victoria because why not

Step 3

Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Lind-Virtanen
Gadjovich-Gaudette-Lockwood
Palmu

Hutton-Stecher
Pouliot-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Chatfield
Subban
Brisebois

Markstrom
Demko

Step 4 be entertaining and get high draft picks.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Step 1, trade everyone over 25 for draft picks.

Step 2, sell franchise, relocate to Victoria because why not

Step 3

Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Lind-Virtanen
Gadjovich-Gaudette-Lockwood
Palmu

Hutton-Stecher
Pouliot-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Chatfield
Subban
Brisebois

Markstrom
Demko

Step 4 be entertaining and get high draft picks.

1 Gaudette will be more then a 4th liner
2 In no way should Gudbranson still be with this team when those other guys are ready to go
3 Same with Puliot

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
my lines > yours.

burimstov does not belong anywhere in the top 6 lines. pls go.

I agree he is FAR from top 6 but theres crappy options with cons to each option. Ok take him out then who goes 2C? Gagner? He stinks.

Put the Sedins in the top 6? I guess so but thats a bad option they just cant do it no more. Maybe such limited options we gotta. Maybe make a defensive 3rd line and stick Virtanen on the 4th

Bae Bo Boe
Sed Sed Van
Granny Sutter ERiksson
Virtanen And then two of: Gagner Burmistrov Dorset

Its really a whole lot of lose lose situations

Reactions: Nomobo and WTG

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Never thought I'd say this, but at this point, based on the first two games, our 2C is easily Granlund. He's better offensively and defensively than any of our other centers right now, besides arguably Henrik Sedin still, who may be out of gas.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad