GDT: GM#2 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @7:30pm 10/7/18

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I've see a couple of Brickley comments about rather having him play, but honestly, his defense the first two AHL games needs some work. He's already minus 4, and although not all his fault, he's had a tendency to try and leave the zone before we have the puck. He needs to be thinking body position and defense first, with good movement out of the zone. Not worried about his offensive game. Playing solid D will get him into the league much faster than any other facet of his game. He's going to be a good PP QB. And yes, sometimes it can be more difficult to play D in the AHL because team structure breaks down often, with forwards not playing defensively responsible as a unit. Particularly with a lot of new players.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Wagner should get about 6 breakaways tonight. Hopefully he scores on 1 of them.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Ouch. With the road trip coming up that's a tough one. I don't have much confidence in either Campbell or Budaj

Reactions: funky

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
412.png

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Wow Quick already out with an injury? What the f***, again? I'm sorry but maybe its time to move the guy, he's starting to become unreliable and his play has declined as well.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Wow Quick already out with an injury? What the ****, again? I'm sorry but maybe its time to move the guy, he's starting to become unreliable and his play has declined as well.

I agree with moving him out (if we have a replacement), but let's not kid ourselves. His play has not declined. Last season he played at or better than his 2012 year.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Wow Quick already out with an injury? What the ****, again? I'm sorry but maybe its time to move the guy, he's starting to become unreliable and his play has declined as well.
His play hasn't declined at all. He's been pretty consistent year in and year out.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The big question will be does Stevens have the team try and lock it down to protect the backup. I sure as hell hope not.

The M&M's were terrible last year, but they played pretty well last game. Muzzin had an off game but they weren't caught out of position like they usually are and were really solid with their positioning and defensive play. Fingers crossed.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quicks play has dipped after 2012 cup, but after it dipped from there it's stayed the same so it's no real issue. Youd be kidding yourself if you think the Quick we saw in the playoffs vs Vegas is the Quick we see often. In 2011-2012 he was like that year around.

However, if his health becomes a serious issue the Kings would be absolutely stupid to not be grooming his replacement already for his spot.

Move his contract to clear space, but that's not because of his performance. Petersen should be getting prepared sooner rather than later because Budaj nor Campbell have the ability to be starter.

Lets just hope we're being over dramatic and it's not related to his groin.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Quicks play has dipped after 2012 cup, but after it dipped from there it's stayed the same so it's no real issue. Youd be kidding yourself if you think the Quick we saw in the playoffs vs Vegas is the Quick we see often. In 2011-2012 he was like that year around.

However, if his health becomes a serious issue the Kings would be absolutely stupid to not be grooming his replacement already for his spot.

Move his contract to clear space, but that's not because of his performance. Petersen should be getting prepared sooner rather than later because Budaj nor Campbell have the ability to be starter.

Lets just hope we're being over dramatic and it's not related to his groin.

Last year was his best year since 2012. 2012 year round and through the playoffs was a historic run not likely to ever be touched. Pretty unfair standard to hold anyone to. However, last year was by far his best year since 2012, and you saw the playoffs. Kind of shit to criticize him saying 'we're unlikely to see that again' after he just gave you an awesome year.

And they're clearly grooming Campbell and Petersen.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
with Quick injured, i'm glad we had the foresight to have our goaltending position ON LOCK by bringing Budaj back...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Last year was his best year since 2012. 2012 year round and through the playoffs was a historic run not likely to ever be touched. Pretty unfair standard to hold anyone to. However, last year was by far his best year since 2012, and you saw the playoffs. Kind of **** to criticize him saying 'we're unlikely to see that again' after he just gave you an awesome year.

And they're clearly grooming Campbell and Petersen.

No that's not what I meant. 2011-2012 he was amazing and outstanding the entire time.

Last season he definitely was inconsistent on and off. I mean the eye test showed that for sure. Quick didn't perform the same way he did in regular Season that he did in the playoffs with Vegas. It was very clear to me.

I know we disagree with that and it might be an unfair standard, but nonetheless to say that the way he plays usually is the best he plays then you'd be wrong imo.

Against the Knights I hadn't seen him perform so f***ing well in such a long time. That is quick at top form.

Why groom Campbell and not Petersen? That's what I'm confused about. Campbell has shown no starting potential at all.

That Quick vs Vegas is EASILY the best goalie in the league. Easily.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Sounds like exactly the kind of goalie another GM would trade for. Getting older, getting hurter(?), and tied for the 3rd highest salary among goalies. If you want to move Quick, he has to leave years ago. After 2012, or 2013, or 2014, or 2015 when you have to choose between him and Jones. Even that might've been too late. Quick is a King, for better or worse.

It's the same with people saying trade Clifford. If he sucks so much, nobody is going to take him. Certainly not to the point where you can assume he can be dealt, doesn't matter how many Cups he's won.

Why groom Campbell and not Petersen? That's what I'm confused about. Campbell has shown no starting potential at all.

Campbell was groomed? For a starter role? He's been here to be a cheap backup. That's all he's ever been looked at as. He didn't even play more games than Petersen in Ontario last year. When Kuemper left, Campbell got the call to sit on the bench.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
with Quick injured, i'm glad we had the foresight to have our goaltending position ON LOCK by bringing Budaj back...

Hard cap, doesn't matter. Unless you get lucky with another Kuemper. League minimum last year, coming off a career worst season with the Wild. Even Scrivens got the call before Jones back in 13-14.

Every base can't be covered. They spent their space on Kovalchuk. It's a hard cap. Of course had the Kings not traded Gaborik for Phaneuf, he'd be on LTIR and the Kings could've done more. Just another in a long line of stupid choices. Unfortunately there's been zero winning to distract from the poor choices, that have really been happening since the Penner deal I guess. Without the 12 Cup, Penner is Lucic. You can even go back to 08 and not taking Karlsson. Really to 07 with the Hickey pick. Anything that eventually worked out after that is just luck. They were multiple moves away from contending after giving up the future for Richards. Lombardi had no idea what he was doing.

This team was down 0-3 in 2014, and looked terrible in the process. Everyone should've been traded away at the 2014 deadline, if not far sooner. We talk about Robitaille selling a scam. The whole thing, from picking Lewis over Giroux in 2006, has been a mirage. They got into a zone for 20 games in 2012. The run in 2014 is the luckiest series of events we'll ever see. There's been nothing but mediocre consistency from year to year.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
both 2019 & 2020 are deep drafts and then there's a lockout

burn a few years off of bad contracts, add some nice speedy elite rookies, Stevens most likely fired by then

we should be good to go for 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->