GDT: GM#17 LA Kings vs Toronto Maple Leafs @7:30pm 11/13/18

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Phil Kessel has more ball than the Kings.

Can you imagine any of the Kings stars showing anything like that? I don't mean a Doughty tantrum in the penalty box either. Although last time Carter fought he busted his hand. At this point, someone go down for the year swinging at least. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Carter, anyone.

Does anyone else think that Peterson should stay in the AHL? He's likely to get lit up this year playing behind a team/defense this bad. I wonder if it night hurt his confidence.

There's not much choice right now. He'll go back when Quick gets back.

Reactions: King Trouty

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You would think teams would learn. Old, slow and never ending expensive contracts are disastrous for any NHL team.
Those two games this season against the Leafs, man I don't think a team (the Kings) couldn't have looked worse.
There is ebb and tide for teams in cap league, and this Kings club look like they are going to bottom out for a few years, until some of those iffy/bad contracts expire.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitar just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that just stops caring. He's always stuck me as a consummate professional in every interview or personal interaction I've had. In the past when he'd go into offensive slumps you could always count on him to be a selke level center no matter what.

I just don't know what's going on, I refuse to believe he's showing up to claim a paycheck at this point unless something behind the scenes is very very wrong.
I feel the same way, but he looks like a guy that's lost his passion for the game.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kopitar just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that just stops caring. He's always stuck me as a consummate professional in every interview or personal interaction I've had. In the past when he'd go into offensive slumps you could always count on him to be a selke level center no matter what.

I just don't know what's going on, I refuse to believe he's showing up to claim a paycheck at this point unless something behind the scenes is very very wrong.

To be honest, you are likely right. There are definitely guys that care on the roster. I saw Brown bark at Kopitar and his line mates a few times and tried to throw his weight around to turn things around, but the spot they put themselves in is bound to induce a lot of apathy on the roster. They care but it feels like they are now playing for themselves and have thrown their hands up and are resigned to their embarrassing fate.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think there's anything wrong with him or anything. He's just an incredibly passive person. He's not the kind of guy who's going to yell at teammates or emotionally lead his team. He probably truly believes that if everyone does their job then they'll win so he doesn't have to go above and beyond to will his team to a win.

I'm not buying it.

Even at his worst while skating with a robotech arm the effort was there.

Unless he's nursing an undisclosed back injury or something, there's something going on behind the scenes. You don't go from 92 points an utterly dominant all over the ice, careers 72 point pace to a 30 point pace overnight for no reason.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Wow, I predicted 7-1 Toronto jokingly but 5-1 isn't much better.

Nice! I had Make Beliefs, 4-2. I over estimated the Kings offense and didn't foresee any Leaf (even defenseman Dermott skating all the way to the goal) just skating
at free will all over the offensive zone and getting continual high quality chances. If they can sign Nylander and add Matthews back, they are a damn good team.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Leafs crush Kings in battle of clubs headed in opposite directions - Sportsnet.ca

Eh, one thing this article does get right is that the Kings as how we knew them are gone. This is a new era of Kings hockey and it is clear what must be done. It is time to rebuild. I don't know if a re-tool would work. The only way to rid the lineup of its newfound apathy would be to purge the roster and find a new young guard to carry the team forward like that day Dustin Brown did with our prospects at the practice rink. I don't think leadership can adapt, they must change. It is questionable if just drafting someone like Hughes and kicking out a few players will get us there. We likely need to build a new core around this draft pick. It won't be a quick or easy fix, gonna have to brace for a new era and years of development.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not buying it.

Even at his worst while skating with a robotech arm the effort was there.

Unless he's nursing an undisclosed back injury or something, there's something going on behind the scenes. You don't go from 92 points an utterly dominant all over the ice, careers 72 point pace to a 30 point pace overnight for no reason.

In the first 18 games of the 15-16 season, he had 5g and 7pts, which was a 32 point pace. The difference there was the team record of 12-6(good for 6th overall), to go along with 45GF, and 38GA.

That team at least looked like they believed in themselves, average roster and all. This one doesn't, and hasn't from the start of camp. Maybe they were just completely demoralized by the sweep.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Leafs crush Kings in battle of clubs headed in opposite directions - Sportsnet.ca

Eh, one thing this article does get right is that the Kings as how we knew them are gone. This is a new era of Kings hockey and it is clear what must be done. It is time to rebuild. I don't know if a re-tool would work. The only way to rid the lineup of its newfound apathy would be to purge the roster and find a new young guard to carry the team forward like that day Dustin Brown did with our prospects at the practice rink. I don't think leadership can adapt, they must change. It is questionable if just drafting someone like Hughes and kicking out a few players will get us there. We likely need to build a new core around this draft pick. It won't be a quick or easy fix, gonna have to brace for a new era and years of development.

Well stated. Not having the #1 and #2 picks for a few years really hurt. The best forward to come out of the drafts for years (except last 2 drafts) were Toffoli, Pearson and Kempe. Not so great.
And NO defensemen!! Cernak, Miller, etc? The Kings have not had any top 4 D drafted since FOREVER. Not a single one. Forbort is not a top 4. He's looked abysmal of late and Ladue
is much better and should be in. Not that he's any savior, but he can play speed and move into the more offensive game. Clague , Brickley and Strand have promise...even Mikey Anderson.
Then there's the possible top 6 forwards: Vilardi, Kupari, JAD, (top 9 for sure) Thomas and Luff looks better than Pearson. Rempal looks decent. So the last 2 drafts have been pretty
good, but it's that 5 or 6 year period, when ZERO NHL TALENT came from those drafts. It was imperative that they yielded 2 top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 defensemen from those years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad