GDT: GM#16 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @7:00pm 11/10/18

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This team won't really improve until next season, plain and simple. They seem to be caught between styles and look really confused.

And for f-sake, get Kopitar unglued from the halfwall on the pp!!!!! He's become so damn predictable and teams have scouted him perfectly!
It isn't like this is a first for Kopitar. It's not the coach or the system that has Kopitar's ass glued to the half wall, it's Kopitar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Tanner Pearson seems to be regressing into Tobias Rieder.

But now he's just a body. Floating through the games with an occasional burst of energy to remind us he's not an actor who wondered off the set of The Walking Dead.

I'm going with 14-15 Richards.

This feels like it's going to end up going the way of the mid 90's post Gretzky teams. They need to blow everything up because they aren't close.

And they waited too long to trade Gretzky too.

The league isn't made up today for teams to get blown up. You can slowly chip away. Last year the Rangers traded McDonagh, Miller, and a couple UFA's. The Kings really have no UFA's to trade, and I guess Muzzin/Toffoli could be the McD/Miller equivalent, although both are older than the former Rangers, which is sort of weird. Even with that though, the Rangers still have many of the players they had last year, because they have to be cap compliant. Then at this year's deadline they can get rid of a couple more UFA's. It's a multi-year process, not just sell everything today.

Reactions: King Trouty

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Phaneuf 16 games. 0 points. -12 Nice!
Pearson 16 games 1 assist -8 Sweet!
Thompson 16 games 0 pts -2 crap on faceoffs.
Kempe 16 games 1 g 1 a -5
Lewis 16 games 2 g 1 a -8

Sit about half those guys next game. Why not? Send a REAL message. Put Luff back in, call up Brickley and put him in. Play Ladue next game. He was stellar his last game.

Not a single King has a PLUS +/-. Brown, Muzzin, Clifford and Ladue are all 0 though.

On a good note, Ontario did not lose tonight....but they didn't play.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just a thought, do you think Kovalchuk could convince Panarin to come hear via trade or later on in free agency?

First the Kings have to get rid of some money/cap. Specifically Toffoli and Pearson, because Kovalchuk, Brown, and Panarin will take up a decent amount for 3 wingers. If they could clear the $8.35m that TT and TP take up, plus the $2.5 that will be gone for Thompson and Greene, that's probably enough for Panarin. It's going to be a tough $8.35m to clear though.

I guess you cross that bridge if it comes up, but I don't know if it's looking good.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
with 11 points through 16 games (jesus christ thats bad), to reach 95 points, we would need to go 38-20-8 the rest of the way to sneak into the playoffs

Reactions: King Trouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Phaneuf trade is a total disaster, Phaneuf and Thompson are arguably the two worst players on the team. I guess you just hope the guy has some kind of pride and retires after the season. Although that is less likely because he and his wife live here anyways, could certainly think of worse things than making $7m a year to play hockey in your adopted hometown. I gave Lombardi a lot of grief for his player evals, but I will say he was dead on about making this a place that guys wanted to come and play winning hockey and not just live by the beach.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
with 11 points through 16 games (jesus christ thats bad), to reach 95 points, we would need to go 38-20-8 the rest of the way to sneak into the playoffs

It's ok though, they just need to look at the positives and they will be fine.....

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It isn't like this is a first for Kopitar. It's not the coach of the system that has Kopitar's ass glued to the half wall, it's Kopitar.

This, after the season Kopitar had last year, the fact he's playing like trash is all on him.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Phaneuf trade is a total disaster, Phaneuf and Thompson are arguably the two worst players on the team. I guess you just hope the guy has some kind of pride and retires after the season. Although that is less likely because he and his wife live here anyways, could certainly think of worse things than making $7m a year to play hockey in your adopted hometown. I gave Lombardi a lot of grief for his player evals, but I will say he was dead on about making this a place that guys wanted to come and play winning hockey and not just live by the beach.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Phaneuf has been a train wreck.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Phaneuf has been a train wreck.

Sad thing is you can substitute phaneuf for most of the roster and the statement still holds true.

I've already mentioned it but its laughable not to even have an assist yet. Even f***ing Forbort has 2.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Do you think Ovechkin could convince Kovalchuk to waive his NMC to accept a trade to Washington?

I think if Luc and Blake have to face the music, and do some key trades to make this team better for the future. And that would be a realistic place to start. Kovy signed with the Kings because of the 3 teams interested, they were the only team to give him what he wanted, 3 yrs at 6.5M per.
He's played well enough for other GM's who have teams that can be considered legit contenders to take notice. Caps would be one, Pens would one as well. Rutherford has stated , as recently as earlier this week, the team needs a change, and more offense. Kovy on Crosby's wing could solve their problem. THey also need help on defense, so a package of 2 players might even work
Habs are playing a lot better this year, might overpay to get him, to keep them in a playoff spot.

And Papa Lou has history with him and Trotz has the Isles playing really well, that would be agood fit

So hopefully Luc and Blake realize what this team is and what they aren't and begin the transition.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

You forget who we traded him for....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Disagree, first, there is no way to know that Gaborik would be on LTIR at the time of the trade, you can think, you can hope, you can imagine, but you can't know.

Phaneuf is no more than a 5-6 right now, so you have to shelter him and limit his minutes, but if he was getting paid one million, no one would be saying boo....

Thompson has been fine this season, unrealistic expectations vs a team wide scoring funk tends to bring everything out, if anyone expected Thompson to score 20 goals this year, please, speak up. He's a 4th line forward who's good on the penalty kill, good on faceoffs, and decent on the forecheck....anything more than that is a bonus...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The cap hits of these players no longer matters, because the cap only matters to NHL teams that are contenders.

IF Kings management truly wants to get this ship heading in the right direction they will start trading off any assets they have of value and retaining as much cap hit as necessary of the players they are trading off the roster to acquire draft picks and promising young prospects on ELCs.

The only player I would not retain salary cap on is Doughty, because he doesn't start his 8-year deal until next season.

I am not optimistic about AEG and Robitaille's ability to do critical self evaluation and do the right thing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sad thing is you can substitute phaneuf for most of the roster and the statement still holds true.

I've already mentioned it but its laughable not to even have an assist yet. Even ****ing Forbort has 2.

21 players have played at least 15 games with 0 assists at ES. 3 of them are Kings; Thompson, Phaneuf, and Kopitar. Another is a former King, McNabb. There's also Kesler and Pavelski.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I've already mentioned it but its laughable not to even have an assist yet. Even ****ing Forbort has 2.

Yeah, blaming Phaneuf when you have the big guys struggling is like blaming your window wipers when your car is on fire.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
I’ve been falling asleep every 3rd period and it doesnt look like anything will change soon. I’m getting closer and closer to the blow it up crowd. It’s so soon and early in the season but it’s not looking good. The only thing I’m looking forward to is Gabe Vilardi stepping in and showing us something to look forward to.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

That's with no Pacific teams going bonkers and not losing down the stretch. Just to have a chance so to speak. Huge hole to climb out of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad