Pre-Game Talk: GM 14: Vancouver Canucks vs. Washington Capitals - Oct 28 - 7:00PM PST - SNET VAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Wasn't there a poster who said D Sedin told him that the management offered the job to Eakins who eventually declined for Edmonton?

I mean, Eakins comes off as an egoist in the media and I'm definitely glad we have Tortorella but let's not spin it in a way that says "WE KNEW ALL ALONG THAT EAKINS WAS A JERK AND BAD COACH AND SO DID THE MANAGEMENT." For all we know, Eakins was offered the job but he turned it down for Edmonton to coach a young team, which there's nothing wrong with.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Didn't care for that 'disturbing play by a disturbing player' comment from Eakins at all. Talk about the play, don't talk **** about Nucks players. Pretty funny coming from a guy who's won a total of 3 games as an NHL coach (out of 12) in his entire life. Maybe he should find that record disturbing, considering his team has had the number one pick 3 years in a row plus another high pick in the most recent draft.

Torts I could almost literally not be more pleased with. I had some hope that he would impress, but he has thus far exceeded expectations. Love the candid interviews as well.

Last edited:

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
He would have been the wrong fit for this team anyways.

Hard to say who's a "good" fit before a coach actually coaches a team. Also definitely not based on what this forum was spinning before Eakins was hired.

Still remember the angst when Eakins was hired by Edmonton.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I personally believe Backstrom is Hank's heir apparent, so to speak. That guy gets absolutely no love when it comes to stars in this league. I'll be looking forward to watching him as well as Ovechkin.

He's right now still not recovered since the concussion he had. I've noticed that playmakers tend to be affected by concussions much longer than other players.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Torts can ****ing coach, theres no question.

"Yeah, sure, whatever man."
W9OF3Ex.jpg

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm enjoying the fact I can get excited for games again. The team is working hard and playing for each other again. It isn't always pretty but at least we don't give up.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Wasn't there a poster who said D Sedin told him that the management offered the job to Eakins who eventually declined for Edmonton?

I mean, Eakins comes off as an egoist in the media and I'm definitely glad we have Tortorella but let's not spin it in a way that says "WE KNEW ALL ALONG THAT EAKINS WAS A JERK AND BAD COACH AND SO DID THE MANAGEMENT." For all we know, Eakins was offered the job but he turned it down for Edmonton to coach a young team, which there's nothing wrong with.

That was the story coming out of Edmonton when they announced Eakins was going to be their coach. The Edmonton media/social media was making a thing out of the fact that Eakins chose the Oilers over the Canucks.

Tanevian*

Same. I liked Eakins before I saw this much exposure of him. He's an ego maniac. Has the " I'm smarter than everyone in the room attitude" and acts entitled and acts like he's won cups .

And a face that looks like it needs to be punched.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

I forget whether it was Gillis or Gillman who said that they did not offer Eakins a contract.

But the trith is, this fanbase was pretty high on him at the time.

I have always thought that it was not a great idea to bring a rookie coach into a situation of so many young guys n a team who were not yet taught how to play the NHL game.

And secondly, MacT handing out 6 million dollar, long term contracts to those same guys (who now have less to prove) was also a bad idea.

Both those decisions are on MacT.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I don't really care either way what happened. If Gillis offered him a contract and Eakins turned it down, who cares. That's life, and a young team is what I believe suited him the best. If Gillis passed on him on that second interview that Friedman reported, then that's fine too. Clearly Gillis knew what he wanted this off season.

It's just this revisionist history that a number of people in here spout. The same people who said they were sick to the stomach when Eakins was hired, that Gillis dropped the ball, that he was "forced to make a decision NOW." The same people who were talking about how great Eakins would be to work with our veterans, especially since he has rapport with some of them already, how he would grow our prospects. Now all of them are talking about how arrogant he is and what a trash coach he is and how Tortorella is the exact opposite, which is the EXACT opposite of what people were talking about back in early June. Realistically, Eakins is arrogant but so are most people in sports. Realistically he's a good coach but the previous failings of the management is what basically set him up for failure (lack of defence and goaltending mainly). It's just the hypocrisy of what a lot of people are displaying at this point that irks me.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I don't really care either way what happened. If Gillis offered him a contract and Eakins turned it down, who cares. That's life, and a young team is what I believe suited him the best. If Gillis passed on him on that second interview that Friedman reported, then that's fine too. Clearly Gillis knew what he wanted this off season.

It's just this revisionist history that a number of people in here spout. The same people who said they were sick to the stomach when Eakins was hired, that Gillis dropped the ball, that he was "forced to make a decision NOW." The same people who were talking about how great Eakins would be to work with our veterans, especially since he has rapport with some of them already, how he would grow our prospects. Now all of them are talking about how arrogant he is and what a trash coach he is and how Tortorella is the exact opposite, which is the EXACT opposite of what people were talking about back in early June. Realistically, Eakins is arrogant but so are most people in sports. Realistically he's a good coach but the previous failings of the management is what basically set him up for failure (lack of defence and goaltending mainly). It's just the hypocrisy of what a lot of people are displaying at this point that irks me.

Shifting loyalties and wishing pain on the enemy is the standard for every fan base.

Ours is not better,nor worse

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I wanted Boucher, but since it seemed our management had no interest in even interviewing him, I thought Eakins was the next best choice, especially after viewing a q&a he did with Marlies fans. I wanted absolutely nothing to do with Torts.

I was wrong.

Tanevian*

The thing is, most people's excitement about Eakins was based on nothing but what they'd heard. I didn't give a **** about Eakins because I knew little about him.

Once people got a glimpse....

Tanevian*

I wanted Boucher, but since it seemed our management had no interest in even interviewing him, I thought Eakins was the next best choice, especially after viewing a q&a he did with Marlies fans. I wanted absolutely nothing to do with Torts.

I was wrong.

It's still October.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I wanted Torts, I'm happy with Torts. Eakins seems like he should be teaching health class at a community college and walking around putting ''bike to class'' flyers on windshields after class.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Not quite. He was called back for a second interview and declined prior to pursuing the Edmonton job that became available. We never made any formal attempt to hire him.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I forget whether it was Gillis or Gillman who said that they did not offer Eakins a contract.

Interview is over; Dallas Eakins shakes both Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman's hand and exits the room.

Stunned, Gillis and Gilman slowly turn to each other and say simultaneously..."What the **** was that"?

After a few seconds of bewildered silence they both double over laughing hysterically.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I have always thought that it was not a great idea to bring a rookie coach into a situation of so many young guys n a team who were not yet taught how to play the NHL game.

And secondly, MacT handing out 6 million dollar, long term contracts to those same guys (who now have less to prove) was also a bad idea.

Both those decisions are on MacT.

Yeah from what I recall at the time, and it wasn't that long ago, is that our management decided not to further pursue Eakins who went on to Edmonton and many in our fanbase at the time weren't happy about it. I was left with the impression that it was management that passed on him, not Eakins on us, but that could have been the effect of all the usual 'fire Gillis' boo birds that were going strong this summer.

It almost seems kind of backwards when you think about it though. Eakins seems like the slick yuppy that's easy for everyone to hate and would fit right at home in Yaletown, while Torts seems more like you're likeable blue collar type that wouldn't be out of place on an Oil Rig or one of those Ford/Chevy truck commercials. So while I'm happy with the results going by city stereotypes it really seems like Vancouver and Edmonton got their coaches mixed up :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->