GDT: GM#12 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @7:30 pm 11/1/18

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings are admittedly late to it in principle, it was a reason given for firing Sutter. But they’ve never relaxed on the defense first philosophy, so two mistakes lead to fatal issues. Play kids and draft for offense is what they missed the boat on.

Anyone defending current management must be hoping for a turn around or are indifferent to the quality of the games.

Not really, I was just questioning your statement of "Kings don't play youth" as false,...which it is.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And yet, it's right......

Go figure

I would agree with you in general except there are plenty of examples of lottery teams over the last few years with spots up for grabs and how many prospects have just been thrown into the fire without 'earning' it?

There's no hard and fast rule. The one thing I think people can agree on is don't rush guys either. Think of the Yakupovs, Neiderreiters, etc.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Not really, I was just questioning your statement of "Kings don't play youth" as false,...which it is.

At the risk of arguing with you, I said something recently about a failure to integrate youth, which you seem confused about.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I would agree with you in general except there are plenty of examples of lottery teams over the last few years with spots up for grabs and how many prospects have just been thrown into the fire without 'earning' it?

There's no hard and fast rule. The one thing I think people can agree on is don't rush guys either. Think of the Yakupovs, Neiderreiters, etc.

Obviously the guys like Matthews, Dahlin, Marners etc, the top talents are going to play right away, Doughty, Kopitar did here....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
At the risk of arguing with you, I said something recently about a failure to integrate youth, which you seem confused about.

No, I just find it false, they integrated Iafallo, Kempe, they are integrating Wagner, Walker, Amadio, Rempal etc, it's not as simple as putting them in the lineup and say, go play....but I guess that's the integration you want.....which in case...yes, you are correct...they aren't integrating youth....thank god they aren't doing it that way.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
No, I just find it false, they integrated Iafallo, Kempe, they are integrating Wagner, Walker, Amadio, Rempal etc, it's not as simple as putting them in the lineup and say, go play....but I guess that's the integration you want.....which in case...yes, you are correct...they aren't integrating youth....thank god they aren't doing it that way.
tell me how productive it is calling up a prospect and having him play 3 minutes and 29 seconds as your team is about to lose its 7th straight

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree with you in general but I think the specific complaint in this case is something like Stevens saying Amadio is our 3C then benching him immediately, letting Kempe have 3C and Thompson 4C no matter what dumb shit they do. We are very slow to integrate. I don't dislike that in general but guys are getting dicked around this year with zero accountability in the staff.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree with you in general but I think the specific complaint in this case is something like Stevens saying Amadio is our 3C then benching him immediately, letting Kempe have 3C and Thompson 4C no matter what dumb **** they do. We are very slow to integrate. I don't dislike that in general but guys are getting dicked around this year with zero accountability in the staff.

Agreed, and I think the league in general has been VERY slow, and it's changing, like Herby says, you have to have impact players on ELC contracts in this cap league now to make a dent anywhere...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
tell me how productive it is calling up a prospect and having him play 3 minutes and 29 seconds as your team is about to lose its 7th straight

Depends, but you are just looking at the game, they also get to practice with the NHL squad, which is faster etc,

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
first of all, i stand corrected about stevens & i'm officially joining the "fire him already" tribe. at the start of the season it felt right to give him time, like 10-15 games, and evaluate after this period. now the evaluation is obvious: disaster.

next, yesterday i was vocal about lak going to win. it was a bad bet, sorry if anyone followed it, today i thought about putting a paper bag over my head and hide in the closet. but it made me review some betting strategies and here is a cute summary.

(data via oddsportal)

let's say you made a 100$ bet against the kings in every game so far. 12 games, total input 1.200$.

consistently betting against la king (in regular time, without ot + highest available odds) this season produces:
- 12 games
- input 1200$
- output 2172$
- profit 972$

now, consistently betting against la king (in regular time with asian handicap +1.5 and with highest available odds) this season produces:
- 12 games
- input 1200$
- output 2760$
- profit 1560$

that's how sad it is. congratulations to the winners of this sad debacle.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
first of all, i stand corrected about stevens & i'm officially joining the "fire him already" tribe. at the start of the season it felt right to give him time, like 10-15 games, and evaluate after this period. now the evaluation is obvious: disaster.

Yep, that's me as well! But I would say fire Blake first...he's really the one responsible.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
And yet, it's right......

Go figure

you-sir-have-won-the-internet.jpg

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The amount of youth in the lineup is actually a problem, want to know why ? Cause they don't play fast consistently. It's why EVERY SINGLE NHL coach prefers Veteran players when the chips are down.

On Sutter and youth players.

King/Nolan/Muzzin/A-Mart/Voynov/Pearson/Lewis/Toffoli/Doughty/Clifford/Bernier/Jones/McNabb. All of these solid current/former NHL players broke into the league under the age of 25 with Sutter as their coach.

Stop with the ridiculous narrative that Sutter somehow didn't help develop young players. I named half the damn roster in 2012-2016....STOP IT!.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad