GDT: GM#12 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @7:30 pm 11/1/18

Jun 30, 2006
I liked Rogue One. Haven't seen Solo. Not a fan at all of Force Awakens or Last Jedi. Characters feel super forced and just not realistic to me I guess. But whatever. I'm done with SW until they fire the chick responsible for these **** movies.

Rogue one was pretty good, we actually got a glimpse of how incredibly powerful Darth Vader was. Solo was entertaining, but the ending was missing something.

The actual star wars movies episode VII and VIII movies were disappointing. They were missing a real villain. Vader was missing and the Skywalker storyline kind of died along with his character.

Reactions: Reaper45

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'd be shocked if he waived his NTC. He has 2 years left on his deal after this one. He'd have to uproot his family and move them to wherever it is he gets traded. It's pretty clear at this point his wife wants to live in LA.
Why is this clear? Kovalchuk claims he returned to North America to win a Stanley Cup. I will agree it may be unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible. Any player with any fire at all hates to play on a team like the Kings are at this point in time. I don't claim to know Kovalchuk's mind, but maybe he didn't come back just to live on the beach and collect a fat paycheck. Maybe he really does want to win.

There are contenders in some nice cities: Tampa, Nashville, Denver. Raleigh, NC might be an interesting destination for Kovalchuk. Would he be a player that could spring them into serious contention? The Kings could retain some of Kovalchuk's $6.25M cap hit to make it work as they are going absolutely nowhere with this roster in the next two seasons after this one. The Kings would be looking for prospects and picks. I might be overreaching here but maybe Necas and a 2nd round pick.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Why is this clear? Kovalchuk claims he returned to North America to win a Stanley Cup. I will agree it may be unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible. Any player with any fire at all hates to play on a team like the Kings are at this point in time. I don't claim to know Kovalchuk's mind, but maybe he didn't come back just to live on the beach and collect a fat paycheck. Maybe he really does want to win.

There are contenders in some nice cities: Tampa, Nashville, Denver. Raleigh, NC might be an interesting destination for Kovalchuk. Would he be a player that could spring them into serious contention? The Kings could retain some of Kovalchuk's $6.25M cap hit to make it work as they are going absolutely nowhere with this roster in the next two seasons after this one. The Kings would be looking for prospects and picks. I might be overreaching here but maybe Necas and a 2nd round pick.
If he really came back to win a cup then he wouldn't have signed with LA in the first place. Absolutely no one in the world picked them as a serious cup contender. I know most people think all you have to do is get in and you can win but not this Kings team. After this season it'll be 1 playoff win in 5 seasons. Or maybe Blake and Luc just did one hell of a job selling him on this team.

Of course it's possible he might wave his NTC but it sure sounded to me like he made this decision mostly because his wife wanted to live in Beverly Hills.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender
Jun 30, 2006

The list is pretty narrow, I don’t see Kovies wife signing up for 2 1/2 years in Raleigh, Nashville or Denver.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If he really came back to win a cup then he wouldn't have signed with LA in the first place. Absolutely no one in the world picked them as a serious cup contender. I know most people think all you have to do is get in and you can win but not this Kings team. After this season it'll be 1 playoff win in 5 seasons. Or maybe Blake and Luc just did one hell of a job selling him on this team.

Of course it's possible he might wave his NTC but it sure sounded to me like he made this decision mostly because his wife wanted to live in Beverly Hills.
This could be true. Maybe Luc and Rob blew so much smoke up his ass he didn't see what many of us here already knew.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The answer to why Stevens is riding Drew into the ground is because Drew is almost singlehandedly keeping Stevens employed.

When Drew Doughty is on the ice (including PK), 14 of the Kings 24 goals for, 15 of the 44 against. 48% GF%.

Drew Doughty off ice: 10 goals for, 29 goals against. 25% GF%.

Yes, it's that bad.

With Drew Doughty off the ice, this team is pacing to set NHL futility records.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The answer to why Stevens is riding Drew into the ground is because Drew is almost singlehandedly keeping Stevens employed.

When Drew Doughty is on the ice (including PK), 14 of the Kings 24 goals for, 15 of the 44 against. 48% GF%.

Drew Doughty off ice: 10 goals for, 29 goals against. 25% GF%.

Yes, it's that bad.

With Drew Doughty off the ice, this team is pacing to set NHL futility records.
Not surprised.

Jun 30, 2006
Have you ever been to any of these cities? They are actually pretty nice places to live.

Yeah I have, lived in Downtown Denver and in walking distance from Coors Field. Great city, had a great time but what brought me back to LA area was $$$$. Nashville is great to, but never been to Raleigh.

But it’s vastly different than LA. I mean, have you ever met any of the elite in Beverly Hills/Pacific Palisades etc. ? Some of the wealthiest people on the planet live there. Why do you think Lebron signed with the Lakers? To win championships like Kovie? Pffft.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah I have, lived in Downtown Denver and in walking distance from Coors Field. Great city, had a great time but what brought me back to LA area was $$$$. Nashville is great to, but never been to Raleigh.

But it’s vastly different than LA. I mean, have you ever met any of the elite in Beverly Hills/Pacific Palisades etc. ? Some of the wealthiest people on the planet live there. Why do you think Lebron signed with the Lakers? To win championships like Kovie? Pffft.
I have visited the NC triangle on business, and outside of the humidity in the summer (something Kovalchuk wouldn't have to deal with) it is quite nice. Yeah, I recognize Luc and Rob may have turned this back into an organization where players come to do what Luc and Rob did as playrers with the Kings. That is, live on the beach and never win a damn thing.

Jun 30, 2006
I have visited the NC triangle on business, and outside of the humidity in the summer (something Kovalchuk wouldn't have to deal with) it is quite nice. Yeah, I recognize Luc and Rob may have turned this back into an organization where players come to do what Luc and Rob did as playrers with the Kings. That is, live on the beach and never win a damn thing.

First AEG needs to get a new President in place of Beckerman, new Governor in place of Cheeseman etc. These guys enabled Luc to take over and run it into the ground. Presumably because Luc/Blake are so much more easier to deal with than Dean Lombardi.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some uplifting numbers.

Through a futile exercise in repetition, the LA Kings lost the critical moments of the game in a 5-2 home loss to Philadelphia in which they failed to score during 1:38 of a first period 5-on-3 with the game scoreless and allowed a go-ahead second period goal only 49 seconds after registering an equalizer.

They allowed at least three goals for the eighth consecutive game and lost by at least three goals for the sixth time in 12 games. They have been scored on in 24 consecutive periods and came out of the gate lifeless with an opportunity to build off a win to open a seven-game home stand.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Sorry....what?

Here's a list of who has played this year, that's 25 and under

JAD, Kempe, Wagner, Amadio, Walker, Rempal, Iafallo, Ladue

Of those, out of the 12 games played, Kempe and Iafallo has been in 12, Wagner in 8, Amadio in 9,

Not sure if that's failed to integrate youth into the lineup there....

Playing young players isn’t the same as integrating them. That requires putting them into positions to succeed and giving them a sufficient opportunity to demonstrate they can do that.

Iafallo has been integrated. Kempe was only given the opportunity when Carter was out. Every other player you listed has been utilized like a spare part at best and developed using an approach where they have to beat out depth players to earn even a minute of ice time.

Iafallo is lucky that there was little political cost to Blake for wasting money on a washed up Cammalleri. Otherwise Iafallo may be in the AHL today.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Playing young players isn’t the same as integrating them. That requires putting them into positions to succeed and giving them a sufficient opportunity to demonstrate they can do that.

Iafallo has been integrated. Kempe was only given the opportunity when Carter was out. Every other player you listed has been utilized like a spare part at best and developed using an approach where they have to beat out depth players to earn even a minute of ice time.

Show me a team where that ISNT the case? Unless you are dealing with a special talent type, a Marner, a Matthews etc, show me a team that doesnt make young players EARN their ice time,

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Rosen coming out guns blazin' for a guy that works for the team.

Yeah, seriously:

"Is it even necessary to reprise the latest details? The Kings are in one deep and ominous quagmire. For every game they wait before making some significant change, there’s nothing to suggest they’ll deviate from continuing to pile up ugly results like Thursday night’s"

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Show me a team where that ISNT the case? Unless you are dealing with a special talent type, a Marner, a Matthews etc, show me a team that doesnt make young players EARN their ice time,

Sam

I think teams still follow the old school philosophy about earning ice time, but there is plenty of evidence that it isn’t done by every team 100% of the time. Which is what you seem to suggest the Kings should continue to do.

Pittsburgh found a way to integrate a bunch of forwards under 26 yo like Rust, Sheahan, Guentzel, and Sprong, plus trade off Sheary for futures. This year, Anaheim has been playing guys like Terry, Comtois and Steele here and there, and giving them 14 minutes of ice time a night. Did all of those kids “earn” their opportunity more than some Kings prospect?

Old school thinking is starting to kill this franchise.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think teams still follow the old school philosophy about earning ice time, but there is plenty of evidence that it isn’t done by every team 100% of the time. Which is what you seem to suggest the Kings should continue to do.

Pittsburgh found a way to integrate a bunch of forwards under 26 yo like Rust, Sheahan, Guentzel, and Sprong, plus trade off Sheary for futures. This year, Anaheim has been playing guys like Terry, Comtois and Steele here and there, and giving them 14 minutes of ice time a night. Did all of those kids “earn” their opportunity more than some Kings prospect?

Steele just got sent down....Comtois and Terry are playing due to injuries, cmon man....hence why Wagner and JAD made the team to begin with, injuries, players heal up, JAD goes down, Steel goes down, Terry goes down, etc

As far as Pittsburgh,

Rust, had to earn his ice time, 16 games played, then 41 games played, then 57 and he earned a spot
Sheahan, earned his time in the league in Detroit....
Guentzel, earned his time, 33 games in the AHL, 40 games, then earned a spot beside Crosby, kinda like...Iafallo and Kopitar
Sprong, 65 games in the AHL, 8 games NHL last year....again, had to earn his ice time,

Let's compare to...Wagner, 50 games in the AHL last year
Amadio, two years in the AHL, he's put in his time, I think it's more of space issue now,

Any other examples that we can prove wrong right off the bat?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Anaheim has had some injuries open up spots for young guys this year too, and they've already sent a couple of them down to make room for vets.

In 15-16, Rust averaged 12:30 over 41 games. Sheary was at 9:45 in 44 games. Guentzel was at 15:53 in 40 games in 16-17. Sprong played 8 games last year, and is averaging 8:31 per game this year.

Not saying the Kings do it right, or that it's equal across the board, but I would guess the Kings aren't going to be some ridiculous outlier that is bucking the trend.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Steele just got sent down....Comtois and Terry are playing due to injuries, cmon man....hence why Wagner and JAD made the team to begin with, injuries, players heal up, JAD goes down, Steel goes down, Terry goes down, etc

As far as Pittsburgh,

Rust, had to earn his ice time, 16 games played, then 41 games played, then 57 and he earned a spot
Sheahan, earned his time in the league in Detroit....
Guentzel, earned his time, 33 games in the AHL, 40 games, then earned a spot beside Crosby, kinda like...Iafallo and Kopitar
Sprong, 65 games in the AHL, 8 games NHL last year....again, had to earn his ice time,

Let's compare to...Wagner, 50 games in the AHL last year
Amadio, two years in the AHL, he's put in his time, I think it's more of space issue now,

Any other examples that we can prove wrong right off the bat?
hey look, playing antagonist again

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Kings are admittedly late to it in principle, it was a reason given for firing Sutter. But they’ve never relaxed on the defense first philosophy, so two mistakes lead to fatal issues. Play kids and draft for offense is what they missed the boat on.

Anyone defending current management must be hoping for a turn around or are indifferent to the quality of the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad