GDT: GM#10 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00 10/25/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure what the 13 games ago comment is about. Were the Kings great in the playoffs last season, or coming to the wire at the end of the season? No.

As a group can they do it all at the same time? Probably not. Sure Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty had great numbers last season. Quick was outstanding in the playoffs.

As a group they are pale shadows of their former selves.

Calling a Norris finalist, a 92-point Selke winner, and a goalie who had his 2nd best season 2nd only to a legendary run "shadows of their former selves" a handful of games into this season reminds me of when you pronounced Kopitar dead before his last season. It's short-sighted and assumes the worst of their abilities and that the most plausible explanation is that they all suddenly synchronized their declines rather than are having a team-wide slump or coaching issues.

If you're saying it's temporary that's one thing, but sounds like you're ready to throw dirt on their caskets again.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Calling a Norris finalist, a 92-point Selke winner, and a goalie who had his 2nd best season 2nd only to a legendary run "shadows of their former selves" a handful of games into this season reminds me of when you pronounced Kopitar dead before his last season. It's short-sighted and assumes the worst of their abilities and that the most plausible explanation is that they all suddenly synchronized their declines rather than are having a team-wide slump or coaching issues.
I didn't declare Kopitar dead before last season. No one expected him to put up the kind of numbers he did last year, including you.

What I did say was signing a soon to be 30-year old forward to an 8-year deal was a bad idea for two primary reasons:

- Over the length of the contract the chances of the Kings contending are not good.
- As a forward ages, the production drops off substantially. Kopitar might cheat Father Time for another two or three seasons, but it is inevitable.

As a group, in terms of desire, commitment, and results, they are shadows of their former selves. The leadership on this roster appears to be piss poor as well. Is leadership a void we should count on Kupari and Vilardi filling as well?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Definitely stay positive until/when they replace Stevens , don’t think that AEG will allow a full rebuil yet , they are still printing money with the building mostly full and the restaurants and nite clubs full, starting a full rebuild will lose the casual fans that walk around staples with bags of merchandise , we are long time fans and will stay with the team , at least most of us , thru thick and thin but the new fans which aren’t really sure what’s actually happening will keep spending money as long as guys like Drew and Kopi are around , that’s one of the reasons they were resigned as much as production was , think how different the crowd is now compared to say 10/15 years ago this is LA and when you win or have star power they come out and spend spend spend , Blake will do what he can to keep us competitive so hoping for anything else is the real dream here ............. and to keep saying we were a 8seed in 2012 and got lucky while true remember we were two points from winning the division so as always Go Kings Go

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't see how LA got bent over lat year. I know it was a sweep but that was as close of a sweep as I have ever seen.
Because it was a microcosm of the season. Failing to score first. Failing to score really at all. Giving up too many scoring chances. Poor PP. Yadda blah etc

Reactions: kenito7

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Guess I just do not see the point of ****ting all over a team that made the playoffs last year, built on that team (although I am not a fan of the Kovalchuk signing), and is still largely made up of the best players to ever wear the kings uniform. Even if this team is **** those players deserve to be celebrated and cheered.

wouldn't the reverse also be true? i don't see the point of being positive when all signs point to a shit team

i'm a glass half empty type of guy (aka a realist) and you're probably a "The Secret" book reader type of person (aka a positive person)

but this realist sees that the City of Los Angeles is currently @ 3-17-2 since last year (includes last game of the year + playoffs + pre-season + current season). To me, it means, regardless of how important or meaningless the games are, the city of Los Angeles currently completely sucks at NHL Hockey

See how i trimmed things nicely to make it look as negative as possible? but is it technically accurate what i'm saying? 100%

You, the positivist will say: "last season is last season, we made the playoffs and we played against a hot Vegas team (can't win 'em all!), the pre-season??? LOL! come on man? how does that even count? and currently we're on a 10 game stretch that isn't too hot but hey that's why there's 82 games in a season...

How is that more valid than a negative argument? your positivism is mostly emotional not factual

some us of don't like to be positive about something that is obviously not, simply to get our hearts crushed come April
maybe you can handle the crushing when reality hits you, i can't... being negative is a defense mechanism

so at the end of the day, both sides of the spectrum should either shut up or tolerate each other

Reactions: YP44 and KINGS17

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
wouldn't the reverse also be true? i don't see the point of being positive when all signs point to a **** team

i'm a glass half empty type of guy (aka a realist) and you're probably a "The Secret" book reader type of person (aka a positive person)

but this realist sees that the City of Los Angeles is currently @ 3-17-2 since last year (includes last game of the year + playoffs + pre-season + current season). To me, it means, regardless of how important or meaningless the games are, the city of Los Angeles currently completely sucks at NHL Hockey

See how i trimmed things nicely to make it look as negative as possible? but is it technically accurate what i'm saying? 100%

You, the positivist will say: "last season is last season, we made the playoffs and we played against a hot Vegas team (can't win 'em all!), the pre-season??? LOL! come on man? how does that even count? and currently we're on a 10 game stretch that isn't too hot but hey that's why there's 82 games in a season...

How is that more valid than a negative argument? your positivism is mostly emotional not factual

some us of don't like to be positive about something that is obviously not, simply to get our hearts crushed come April
maybe you can handle the crushing when reality hits you, i can't... being negative is a defense mechanism

so at the end of the day, both sides of the spectrum should either shut up or tolerate each other

I believe the small sample size is factual not emotional and it's just too soon to get his negative. Come end of November if this team is still this ugly than I will be right beside you.

I agree with alot of what you wrote here though. And I think I am posting overly positive as a sort of defense mechanism as well and as a way to over compensate all the negativity.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
since I said 6-1 Sabres and it was 5-1 Sabres and then said 4-2 Dallas and was 4-2 Dallas...I am feeling the Kings play a good game and regulation tie, 3-3. They win, 4-3 in shootout.
Kovalchuk scores one of them. - NostraBond Now, I will probably be way off.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just don't want perpetual suck.

If they turn it around, great.

If they don't, then do something to turn the organization around.

Reactions: YP44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad