GDT: GM#10 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00 10/25/18

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
El Oh El.

Rosen: "
–With the loss, the Kings fell to 0-3-1 against the Western Conference, 0-3-0 against the Central Division, 1-5 in games decided by three or more goals, 0-6-1 in games in which their opponent scores first, 0-5-1 when trailing after the first period, 0-7-0 when trailing after the second period and 2-3-1 when outshot by their opponent.
–Los Angeles has not led at any point during their six-game losing streak. Their last lead was at the end of the 3-0 win at Montreal on October 11.
–The Kings do not have a power play goal in eight of 10 games this season."

2nd lowest GF/G by a significant amount. we're at 1.8. Vegas is 3rd lowest at 2.11. That's quite a leap. Arizona is at 1.75, but they're only giving up 2.25 a game; we're giving up 3.6 a game, 8th worst, but all those guys ahead (except Detroit) are scoring in the 3s and 4s per game.

Detroit is -19; if it weren't for them, our -18 would be the worst in the league, and twice as bad as 29th NYR/PHilly's -9.

Detroit's points percentage is .222, we're .250. It's a large jump to 29ths .350.

There's a theme here. It's not just a losing streak. It's stats consistent with intentionally tanking lottery teams.

There's zero identity. They're not scoring. They're not defending. They're not hitting--at least cleanly. They're not fighting. They're not rebuilding. We're just standing here ****ting in one hand and wishing in another and seeing which one fills up first which I'm not sure is a great strategy but I guess I'm not Rob Blake or John Stevens.

Embrace the suck , will see how the home stand goes but if they win 1 or 2 games let if free fall do not try to fix it.

Why? here is why, from a Detroit Red Wings blogger.. I need to breath into a paperbag, as I am hyper-ventilating after reading this.

1. Jack Hughes (C - USNTDP U18)

Even someone who doesn’t pay as much attention to junior prospects could see this coming from a mile away. I will eat my hat if you can find a player better than Jack Hughes in this draft class. This kid is a circus freak, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. While rather smallish in stature, Hughes makes up for what he lacks in physical strength with his blistering speed, agility, and elite-level stickhandling to gain an inside track on defenders and burn into the open ice. Containing Hughes is a lot like trying to catch your own shadow. He’s exhausting for defenders to continually try to cover. It’s only a matter of time before they can no longer keep up with him. He is also incredibly calculated in his decision making. He understands what defenders are going to do to try to stop him, and thinks one step ahead of them to exploit any weaknesses in their coverage. Once he gets that positional leverage on a defender, he has an incredible arsenal of offensive tools. First, Hughes is a world class playmaker, and what makes him especially dangerous is his ability to find those seams in the ice to skate with the puck deep in the offensive zone, and dish it to his teammates in prime scoring areas. He will find passing lanes that you didn’t think existed, often leaving gaping wide holes in the defensive zone coverage and in the goalie’s positioning, resulting in easy tap-in goals for his linemates. His sense of timing on his passes to his teammates is phenomenal. Any linemates that are on the ice with him are exponentially more dangerous because of this. Steve Kournianos at The Draft Analyst commented that he can make a no-look pass better than any junior-aged player since Connor McDavid. He’s 100% right. You’re looking at the best playmaker since McDavid.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I just don't see us finishing low enough to really have a shot at Hughes. We're bad, but not bad enough. I'd expect us to start picking up a few more wins and ultimately end up with the ~10th pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I just don't see us finishing low enough to really have a shot at Hughes. We're bad, but not bad enough. I'd expect us to start picking up a few more wins and ultimately end up with the ~10th pick.

That's the beauty of the new lottery draft system, they could finish in the bottom 8 and still have a good shot at getting a top 3 pick.

That said, we keep saying that this team is too good to play worse, but they somehow manage to surprise us game after game.

The Kings are by far the worst team offensively and have gotten worse than any previous year when we thought their offense was inept.

I'm starting to think this goes beyond coaching and the malaise displayed by a majority of players who have been here for a long period of time needs to be addressed.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I agree. They'll start winning eventually. Playoffs is still a possibility since most of the Pacific teams have started out poorly too.

I don't know if I trust the Kings enough not to mess up Hughes. Obviously he's talented enough so he'll still be a great player but the Kings might hold him back from being as great as he can be.

Reactions: efhank

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
The reality is that the Kings roster is nowhere near as good as anyone has made it out to be, going all the way back to before the 2014 Cup.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The reality is that the Kings roster is nowhere near as good as anyone has made it out to be, going all the way back to before the 2014 Cup.

Oooh, that's a little too hot-takey for me.

Look at the rosters of the actual predicted lottery teams like NYR and Detroit then look at ours and tell me we are right where expected.

Maybe it's time the Kings bring some people into management from outside the organization who have had success with European prospects.

Now THAT I'll agree wholeheartedly with. They've made more attempts in recent years to get Euros, but with such little success.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Embrace the suck , will see how the home stand goes but if they win 1 or 2 games let if free fall do not try to fix it.

Why? here is why, from a Detroit Red Wings blogger.. I need to breath into a paperbag, as I am hyper-ventilating after reading this.

1. Jack Hughes (C - USNTDP U18)

Even someone who doesn’t pay as much attention to junior prospects could see this coming from a mile away. I will eat my hat if you can find a player better than Jack Hughes in this draft class. This kid is a circus freak, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. While rather smallish in stature, Hughes makes up for what he lacks in physical strength with his blistering speed, agility, and elite-level stickhandling to gain an inside track on defenders and burn into the open ice. Containing Hughes is a lot like trying to catch your own shadow. He’s exhausting for defenders to continually try to cover. It’s only a matter of time before they can no longer keep up with him. He is also incredibly calculated in his decision making. He understands what defenders are going to do to try to stop him, and thinks one step ahead of them to exploit any weaknesses in their coverage. Once he gets that positional leverage on a defender, he has an incredible arsenal of offensive tools. First, Hughes is a world class playmaker, and what makes him especially dangerous is his ability to find those seams in the ice to skate with the puck deep in the offensive zone, and dish it to his teammates in prime scoring areas. He will find passing lanes that you didn’t think existed, often leaving gaping wide holes in the defensive zone coverage and in the goalie’s positioning, resulting in easy tap-in goals for his linemates. His sense of timing on his passes to his teammates is phenomenal. Any linemates that are on the ice with him are exponentially more dangerous because of this. Steve Kournianos at The Draft Analyst commented that he can make a no-look pass better than any junior-aged player since Connor McDavid. He’s 100% right. You’re looking at the best playmaker since McDavid.
Let’s see here? Go to seams in the ice in the ozone? Check. Not allowed. Dish passes to teammates, like dangerous drop passes, lateral passes, area passes, stretch passes, from behind the net, positioning to any or all of these while on the wrong defensive side of the puck? Check. Not allowed.

How long do you think it would take for JS and Co to suck the creativity right out of him?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Let’s see here? Go to seams in the ice in the ozone? Check. Not allowed. Dish passes to teammates, like dangerous drop passes, lateral passes, area passes, stretch passes, from behind the net, positioning to any or all of these while on the wrong defensive side of the puck? Check. Not allowed.

How long do you think it would take for JS and Co to suck the creativity right out of him?

I like how you say that, while ignoring that two goals were JUST SCORED with long long stretch passes, or that the Kings have made drop passes like crazy, and blind passes lol, but good job....

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I like how you say that, while ignoring that two goals were JUST SCORED with long long stretch passes, or that the Kings have made drop passes like crazy, and blind passes lol, but good job....
I know. One by Walker. They’ll work with him on that. Give it time. Can’t remember who the other one was

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->